Last summer, Joe Douglas told New York Jets alumni how he'd build the team. He's stuck to it.

Not really big news type of story but just kind helps build the narrative that we are getting what we wanted when we paid for Joe. We are getting the Ozzie Newsome type of roster philosophy that Joe grew up in the league with, a philosophy that is widely regarded as a good one. Baltimore did a great job building a good roster. I'm sure Joe has his own caveats but the core is of not over paying FA is so refreshing. Its going to be fun to see how the draft goes, but unlike Gase the so called off guru, our boy Joe D is just the GM we expected.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/ny-jets-joe-douglas-vision-for-team-alumni-meeting

Joe Douglas is doing exactly what he said he would do. In a meeting with the team’s alumni last year, the New York Jets general manager told the former players that he would build this team in the trenches. 

So far, Douglas has signed five offensive linemen to contracts, including four brought in via free agency. It is a massive overhaul of not just the weakest part of the team last year, but perhaps one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL the past two seasons. 

The Jets so far through free agency have been very active, with the emphasis in particular on that offensive line. Tackle George Fant (Seattle Seahawks), center Connor McGovern (Denver Broncos), guard Alex Lewis (Indianapolis Colts), guard Greg Van Roten (Carolina Panthers) and they re-signed guard Alex Lewis – all moves that represent a significant investment by the Jets in overhauling the line. 

Rob Carpenter remembers sitting in a Legends dinner last August at a hotel near the team’s facility and listening to Douglas talk. The former wide receiver spent three of his five seasons in the NFL with the Jets in the mid-90s. 

Douglas addressed the team’s player alumni after he spent some time mingling with the former players before the event started. 

“He basically said he knew what is expected from the general manager standpoint. It’s been a long time since a winner was in New York and he has a plan for the team and it won’t be an overnight thing but he will address team issues and build the franchise starting up front,” Carpenter told SportsIllsutrated.com. 

“He knows the spotlight is on the team and there are already great pieces in place and he will be shrewd and stick to his plan to add other pieces and form a team that can last.” 

Douglas has lived up to those words, spoken from a podium during the alumni dinner. Brought in last offseason after the Jets had finished the NFL Draft, Douglas took over a team that had struggled to find talent in both free agency and the draft. 

So far this offseason, Douglas has not overcommitted or chased waterfalls. The majority of his free agent signings, in particular those brought from other organizations and not players re-signed, would be the Tier II category targets and not necessarily the big names. 

This seems to fall in line with the mindset of Douglas’ upbringing in his career, as he got his personnel start with the Baltimore Ravens. In those 14 seasons, he learned about balance in building a roster and primarily investing in the NFL Draft. 

In addition, Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome had a reputation for not overspending on free agents. 

From that conversation last summer, Carpenter doesn’t recall any specifics about how Douglas wants to build the roster.  

“But he said the team should start in the trenches. He did mention that game changing playmakers are also needed - that’s why I’m inclined to guess he will take one of the top WR’s in the first round,” Carpenter said. 

“Especially since he’s brought in a number of offensive lineman in free agency.” 

• Upvote 2

Once again celebrating JD for not bringing in good players. I love this fan base.  

Content with simply not sucking.

I'll say it again.  I don't think JD is doing a bad job, in fact I think what he's doing makes some sense.  Caution is fine, but we shouldn't celebrating it either. 

He has to build a team - let's see him do it before we crown him.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 6

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Once again celebrating JD for not bringing in good players. I love this fan base.  

I'll say it again.  I don't think JD is doing a bad job, in fact I think what he's doing makes some sense.  Caution is fine, but we shouldn't celebrating it either. 

huh? well he just build a line. And address the biggest need we had keeping Sam upright. paying top dollar for some FA with a big name is dumb. Jenkins is perfect example, signing him very J clowney. 

I feell like he is building a team.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

huh? well he just build a line. And address the biggest need we had keeping Sam upright. paying top dollar for some FA with a big name is dumb. Jenkins is perfect example, signing him very J clowney. 

I feell like he is building a team.

He "built" the OL with average to below average players. 

I'll concede even that's an upgrade but these aren't exactly world beaters.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That's what the draft is for.  

The only OL on the market were average at best.  But sure, I guess the OL would be elite if we hadn't passed on Graham Glasgow.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nobody is crowning him.  We simply like the approach and moves he has made so far.  Nobody said the job is done in fact we all agree he had a lot of work to do.  Just because we did t get Conklin or Clowney doesn’t mean he hadn’t brought in any good players.  Some fans like being miserable I guess ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I love the focus on the offensive line thus far.  The Jets needed a complete revamp of both starters and backups, and they are well on their way.  Now add two more offensive linemen in the first four rounds of the draft, and this has the makings of a solid unit.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Nobody is crowning him.  We simply like the approach and moves he has made so far.  Nobody said the job is done in fact we all agree he had a lot of work to do.  Just because we did t get Conklin or Clowney doesn’t mean he hadn’t brought in any good players.  Some fans like being miserable I guess ? 

It's as if JD needed to get this roster in pristine condition one week after free agency.  Since he didn't do that, we're not allowed to say he's done well.  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's what the draft is for.  

The only OL on the market were average at best.  But sure, I guess the OL would be elite if we hadn't passed on Graham Glasgow.  

So, finding good players in FA isn't something you should do? 

I guess if that's what you believe - JD must be following that method too.  

I, personally, would like to try to find good players in FA as well as the draft.

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

you kind of lost me with this, but then i read the rest and i think we agree. JD is doing what you need to do at this stage, bring in young, cheap, FA's with upside that you know can produce and be the foundation of the 53, draft high upside players in the draft to be your difference makers...and then spend big money on players to take you to the next level.

P.S. i think he did what he had to do on the OL, which is bring in enough guys to not get Sam killed again but also not spend stupid money on average players.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So, finding good players in FA isn't something you should do? 

Of course it is.  If there are good players to find.  Which there generally aren't.  And this offseason was no exception.

What are you talking about?  You act like we all don't want good players and you're the keeper of this secret knowledge, that all GM's should get the good players.  lol.  

You're the smartest I guess.  Maybe you should send in an application to work in the front office.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's as if JD needed to get this roster in pristine condition one week after free agency.  Since he didn't do that, we're not allowed to say he's done well.  

I guess lol.  Apparently he had to rebuild the whole team with bigtime playmakers in 1 week minus the draft ? 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

oh yeah I get you now, sure yeah not world beaters but thats not to be expected. ANother poster said it best, that is for the Draft. He is killing the GM duties right now. Great moves to start the path up, in the Ozzie N kind of way, he is building it right I think. A couple other signings are happening right now I think a CD from Detroit. Its just crazy to see a GM actually do his job. Not ignoring anything I bet he has players all over like a top 10 list of every position that fits his criteria of low cost average type players. Its a great first step for us on our way up.

I haven't hear of some of these guys, its just great that our GM is actually working so far. Im officially bought in again for the Jets season  this year. Dam it.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, k-met57 said:

you kind of lost me with this, but then i read the rest and i think we agree. JD is doing what you need to do at this stage, bring in young, cheap, FA's with upside that you know can produce and be the foundation of the 53, draft high upside players in the draft to be your difference makers...and then spend big money on players to take you to the next level.

P.S. i think he did what he had to do on the OL, which is bring in enough guys to not get Sam killed again but also not spend stupid money on average players.

I agree about cautious optimism here - that's where I am..

but articles like that and posts from many here are celebrating JD for simply not spending money on good players - I'm really not sure how hard that is.

To build a team you also have to draft well and eventually sign impact type players.

When he does that I'll celebrate him but until I see it - I'm not crowing the guy a saviour.

Just now, BornJetsFan1983 said:

oh yeah I get you now, sure yeah not world beaters but thats not to be expected. ANother poster said it best, that is for the Draft. He is killing the GM duties right now. Great moves to start the path up, in the Ozzie N kind of way, he is building it right I think. A couple other signings are happening right now I think a CD from Detroit. Its just crazy to see a GM actually do his job. Not ignoring anything I bet he has players all over like a top 10 list of every position that fits his criteria of low cost average type players. Its a great first step for us on our way up.

I haven't hear of some of these guys, its just great that our GM is actually working so far. Im officially bought in again for the Jets season  this year. Dam it.

Yeah but he didn't get the good players

Just now, FidelioJet said:

but articles like that and posts from many here are celebrating JD for simply not spending money on good players - I'm really not sure how hard that is.

To build a team you also have to draft well and eventually sign impact type players.

When he does that I'll celebrate him but until I see it - I'm not crowing the guy a saviour.

All those good impact players JD left on the market, so sad

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

All those good impact players JD left on the market, so sad

There were plenty out there.  He chose not to pay for them.   Which is fine.  

He chose to pay $10mm to a back-up Tackle but not $13mm to a pro-bowler. 

Look, I get it - save where you can - try and be prudent.  At some point this bringing in average players will have to be upgraded to bringing in good players.  

I just haven't seen it yet. 

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

whats that saying?

if you are a jets fan under 30 and you don't buy the hype you have no heart

if you are a jets fan over 30 and you buy the hype you have no brain

something like that anyways :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Name them.  

I guess he means Conklin?  I mean it’s a two way street plus I was comfortable giving Conklin a big contract given our history.  I’m a big fan of McGovern and Van Roten who we wouldn’t have gotten if we spent all that for Conklin

• Upvote 3

Just now, Jets723 said:

I guess he means Conklin?  I mean it’s a two way street plus I was comfortable giving Conklin a big contract given our history.  I’m a big fan of McGovern and Van Roten who we wouldn’t have gotten if we spent all that for Conklin

"Plenty of them"

lol

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

And you seriously think the "name" players in free agency would live up to their contracts?

• Upvote 2

Conklin was way overrated here.  He's a below average pass protector who would never have fit on a team that's looking to protect Darnold.

Glasgow was an unknown for most of you guys prior to FA. He is a solid player that someone overpaid for. 

I keep saying this and its true. You can plug 5 average to good players together and they can perform as a great unit.  Slide in 1 HOF LT next to a line with 2 bad lineman on it and the line will be in shambles. Anyone who knows football knows the offensive line is about the collective unit, not about the individual. JD has done a good job of upgrading the offensive line substantially in a FA year without any great offensive lineman available. There were no stars to be had this off-season on the offensive lin. 

• Post of the Week 2

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Conklin, Constanzo, Cooper, Clowney, Byron Jones, Armstead, Chris Harris and the list does go on well before you get to McGovern - our crown jewel.

Those are only the guys that fit our needs.

Conklin-Overrated, doesn't fit the system

Costanzo-Was never leaving the Colts

Cooper-Was never leaving the Cowboys. He took less money from thr Redskins to stay. 

Byron Jones-Dolphins made him the highest paid CB ever. That's where you wanted the bulk of the Jets cap space to go?

Armstead- Re-signed with the 49ers before FA began

Harris- Mainly a slot CB now, Poole was rated 8th last year by PFF,  Harris wasn't in the top 25.

Go take a look at the approach the Bills took last off-season.  JD is taking a similar approach and it's smart. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, choon328 said:

Cooper-Was never leaving the Cowboys. He took less money from thr Redskins to stay. 

Byron Jones-Dolphins made him the highest paid CB ever. That's where you wanted the bulk of the Jets cap space to go?

Harris- Mainly a slot CB now, Poole was rated 8th last year by PFF,  Harris wasn't in the top 25.

Go take a look at the approach the Bills took last off-season.  JD is taking a similar approach and it's smart. 

Good Post.  Agreed it’s the right approach.  Plus he knows what he wants in the draft.  I like that we are not dishing out huge deals but bringing guys back who stepped up last year under Williams.  Very happy with JD so far 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Thanks. I was too lazy. Hope we resign Robbie.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

It's called realism.

Maybe I would've preferred Jason Peters over Fant for a stopgap measure but I can also understand that Fant is a decade younger and does have upside - he could be the answer at one of our tackle spots for several years. 

I don't think anyone is crowning him in this article - they're saying "Yea, that sh*t Joey D said last summer about how he wants to build the team? He's sticking to it a year later." 

That's literally the title and substance of the article. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Conklin, Constanzo, Cooper, Clowney, Byron Jones, Armstead, Chris Harris and the list does go on well before you get to McGovern - our crown jewel.

Those are only the guys that fit our needs.

lol wtf?

Costanzo, Cooper and Armstead signed with their current teams.  Costanzo and Armstead before the FA period even opened.  

Byron Jones is not a "top 10 corner", which was the criteria you placed on a FA being worthy.  He just got overpaid like one.  

So the only ones you listed above that are remotely relevant are Conklin, Clowney and Harris.  And, last I checked, Clowney hasn't signed anywhere yet.  Much like Robby Anderson, maybe he's finding the market isn't being as kind to him as he thought it would be.

Meanwhile, Harris had 1 INT last season and 6 PD's last season.  Maybe QB's were avoiding him, or maybe he's not all that good anymore.  He also turns 31 in June.

Again, THIS is what all the hand-wringing is about?  Conklin, Clowney, and Chris Harris?  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol wtf?

Costanzo, Cooper and Armstead signed with their current teams.  Costanzo and Armstead before the FA period even opened.  

Byron Jones is not a "top 10 corner", which was the criteria you placed on a FA being worthy. 

So the only ones you listed above that are remotely relevant are Conklin, Clowney and Harris.  And, last I checked, Clowney hasn't signed anywhere yet.  

Meanwhile, Harris had 1 INT last season and 6 PD's last season.  Maybe QB's were avoiding him, or maybe he's not all that good anymore.  He also turns 31 in June.

Again, THIS is what all the hand-wringing is about?  Conklin, Clowney, and Chris Harris?  

Exactly.  You can tell when somebody is being negative just for the hell of it when the things they say make no sense lol.  I mean like you said some of those guys on that list stayed with their teams 

• Upvote 1