Robby Anderson will get no more than 9M per year

Alka

17 hours ago, jgb said:

Writing been on the wall since the beginning. 

Off the field issue, strong WR class, bad time for one-dimensional Robbie to be a FA.

First half of the season and prior years I would have completely agreed with you. Second half of the season, I saw a "one-dimensional" Robby get dirty. I saw him go up and fight for the balls...Even running short routes and coming down with it. I may be in the minority, but that is my opinion. PS. I also saw the magic disappearing act that he can pull for games at the time. 

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The $8M savings only impacted last year's cap, not this one.

What player should we have spent that cap space on instead?  Otherwise you're just whining about the Johnson's losing some money out of their pockets.  

Btw where's that $14M per deal for Robby?

That’s a naive statement.  

1st, salary cap can be carried over.  2nd even if you couldn’t there are many things you could do with it, like extend a player that year so the cap hit is less or sign 2 or middle of the road guys for lesser deals.

Not sure why you’re trying to pretend like an $8mm mistake wasn’t a mistake.  It was a bad signing, you can still think he’s the best GM ever and acknowledge he made a mistake, it’s not the end of the world...

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

1st, salary cap can be carried over.  2nd even if you couldn’t there are many things you could do with it, like extend a player that year so the cap hit is less or sign 2 or middle of the road guys for lesser deals.

Not sure why you’re trying to pretend like an $8mm mistake wasn’t a mistake.  It was a bad signing, you can still think he’s the best GM ever and acknowledge he made a mistake, it’s not the end of the world...

Stop being dramatic. Nobody is saying he is the best GM.  We simply like his approach so far.  We all agree we have no idea how  he will do in the draft.  

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It wasn't a bad signing.  It was perhaps bad to stick with him as long as we did, but it wasn't a bad signing.  We needed a Center and still did entering this offseason.  Harrison is not even JAG level. 

That late in the offseason it was a worthwhile gamble.  Kalil had been a quality C his whole career and even the year before he was middle-of-the-pack.  At 2018 levels he would have been a clear upgrade over Harrison.  He simply didn't have it anymore and should have remained retired.  

And that $8M didn't prevent JD from doing any of the things you listed.  We were still well under the cap.  

If you want to be pissed at someone, blame Macc for his answer at C being the likes of Wesley Johnson, Spencer Long and Harrison in the first place.  Yelling at JD over 5 years of mistakes by the previous GM is silly.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It wasn't a bad signing.  It was perhaps bad to stick with him as long as we did, but it wasn't a bad signing.  We needed a Center and still did entering this offseason.  Harrison is not even JAG level.  That late in the offseason it was a worthwhile gamble. 

And that $8M didn't prevent JD from doing any of the things you listed.  We were still well under the cap.  

If you want to be pissed at someone, blame Macc for his answer at C being the likes of Wesley Johnson, Spencer Long and Harrison in the first place.  Yelling at JD over 5 years of mistakes by the previous GM is silly.  

Exactly.  Yes it didn’t work out but like I mentioned before JD literally just got there and wanted to take a chance since our oline was awful.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jets723 said:

Exactly.  Yes it didn’t work out but like I mentioned before JD literally just got there and wanted to take a chance since our oline was awful.  

To be fair to Fidelio, there were "plenty of" starting-caliber Centers available to JD in July.  Shame on him for missing out on all of those quality options.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

To be fair to Fidelio, there were "plenty of" starting-caliber Centers available to JD in July.  Shame on him for missing out on all of those quality options.  

Apparently lol.  JD is terrible for not pulling one of those guys out of thin air lol.  Look nobody is saying JD is a great GM yet we simply like his approach so far. He still has a lot of work to do before we can even consider him great.  However accusing fans of saying that is just dumb 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

You said you couldn’t blame him.  All I said was that you could and should blame him.

He could have done nothing and kept the $8mm - the team would have been better off without him..let alone the $8mm savings.

And not means nothing in the grand scheme of things other than the owner wasted some cash.

You're just whining for the sake of whining at this point

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

43 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

First half of the season and prior years I would have completely agreed with you. Second half of the season, I saw a "one-dimensional" Robby get dirty. I saw him go up and fight for the balls...Even running short routes and coming down with it. I may be in the minority, but that is my opinion. PS. I also saw the magic disappearing act that he can pull for games at the time. 

It's overly-simplistic to call him a one-trick pony, that I'll grant. Still don't think he is (or ever will be) elite but that's not really an indictment. He's a really nice piece to have and has chemistry with Sam. I'm willing to "overpay" a $1M above what the "fair market value" for his services are (as if that's easy to define) to keep him.

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It wasn't a bad signing.  It was perhaps bad to stick with him as long as we did, but it wasn't a bad signing.  We needed a Center and still did entering this offseason.  Harrison is not even JAG level. 

That late in the offseason it was a worthwhile gamble.  Kalil had been a quality C his whole career and even the year before he was middle-of-the-pack.  At 2018 levels he would have been a clear upgrade over Harrison.  He simply didn't have it anymore and should have remained retired.  

I thought it was a bad signing at the time. He had retired which (to me) meant he had at least partially "checked out" mentally.

Add to that they brought him in late, he didn't practice much with the starting unit and they then handed him the starting job was a recipe for disaster (and it was).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

To look at the Khalil signing and not say it was a bad one just really shows how ridiculously one sided your viewpoint is...or you're simply a troll and I'm falling for it. 

Although I think it's the former. 

Just because he had good intentions doesn't make it good.  He paid $8mm to a guy that was completely checked out - didn't want to be there..and the player that eventually replaced him ended up being better.

There is simply NO WAY to look at that and say "It wasn't a bad signing".   It was!

Sorry.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

To look at the Khalil signing and not say it was a bad one just really shows how ridiculously one sided your viewpoint is...or you're simply a troll and I'm falling for it. 

Just because he had good intentions doesn't make it good.  He paid $8mm to a guy that was completely checked out - didn't want to be there..and the player that eventually replaced him ended up being better.

There is simply NO WAY to look at that and say "It wasn't a bad signing".   It was!

Sorry.

Cool.  So let's whine about it a year later even it had zero impact on the Jets' decisions this offseason.  And let's also continue to ignore the actual culprit:  Mike Maccagnan.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Sorry.

Its more ridiculous to look at the decision to sign Khali and disregard the fact that JD was dealt a bad hand and was desperate to find an option where no easy or guaranteed option existed.  

Theres a huge difference between this scenario and painting it into some indicator of someone not knowing what to do.  Or just making the signing into a poor decision when the right option existed.  

You have a better plan that he should have followed?  

Other than to whine a year after the fact 

And yes, sometimes you make a decision with good intention, out of what options are available and they fall flat.  Happens, doesn't make the decision to go forward wrong.  

• Upvote 4

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Its more ridiculous to look at the decision to sign Khali and disregard the fact that JD was dealt a bad hand and was desperate to find an option where no easy or guaranteed option existed.  

Theres a huge difference between this scenario and painting it into some indicator of someone not knowing what to do or just making a poor decision when the right on existed.  

This

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@Mogglez has taken off the clown paint, Fidelio.  And Robby hasn't gotten that $14M+ per deal elsewhere yet.  

Time to jump on board the JD train.  It's not like we have an alternative.  He's got a 6-year deal.  

It’s too late apparently.  He screwed up bigtime with Kalil and not signing Cooper and Constanzo .  Epic Fail ? 

• Haha 2

I’d like Robbie back. I like the standard that Douglas is setting though. The Jets are no longer doormats to agents and players.

They set their values and thats it. Don’t overspend if Robbie is demanding more. He’s not good enough to bend on negotiations... especially with Perriman available.

If #11 simply wants too much, trade for Trent...Sign Perriman...Draft stud wr at 11.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, genot said:

I think Robby might be feeling a little disrespected. Right or wrong.

Player is only worth what a team is willing to pay. He’s not a multidimensional WR. Deep ball threat with decent hands. Maybe some quick out patterns....that’s it. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, genot said:

I think Robby might be feeling a little disrespected. Right or wrong.

Right or wrong?  lol.  This is the RIGHT way to handle things.  A GM treating things as a business with zero sentimentality is exactly what this franchise needed.

Unless you prefer to go back to the days where we were bidding against ourselves for players like Trumaine Johnson, and handing out unearned deals to the likes of Quincy Enunwa.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Player is only worth what a team is willing to pay. He’s not a multidimensional WR. Deep ball threat with decent hands. Maybe some quick out patterns....that’s it. 

With off field issues in his past.

I want him back but only at the right price.. This is a very deep WR draft class. We don't need to overpay for Robby. Other teams tend to agree 

10 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

And as pointed out by another poster here (I can't recall who), The Darnold/Anderson connection only had a 47 % catch rate.  You don't pay $12M+ per for a WR with a stat like that in mind.  

He's a WR2 and we're looking to pay him like one.  Simple as that.  If any other NFL GM out there saw him as a WR1, he'd be gone by now.  JD read this thing perfectly, it would seem.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

It's overly-simplistic to call him a one-trick pony, that I'll grant. Still don't think he is (or ever will be) elite but that's not really an indictment. He's a really nice piece to have and has chemistry with Sam. I'm willing to "overpay" a $1M above what the "fair market value" for his services are (as if that's easy to define) to keep him.

You'll get no argument from me. I think we saw him take shape. A slight over-payment wouldn't bother me a bit. He has to stop taking two or three games off though. 

43 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Sorry.

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Cool.  So let's whine about it a year later even it had zero impact on the Jets' decisions this offseason.  And let's also continue to ignore the actual culprit:  Mike Maccagnan.

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Theres a huge difference between this scenario and painting it into some indicator of someone not knowing what to do.  Or just making the signing into a poor decision when the right option existed.  

And yes, sometimes you make a decision with good intention, out of what options are available and they fall flat.  Happens, doesn't make the decision to go forward wrong.  

21 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

This

He didnt have to pay 8 million dollars guys. Be for real. We can blame things on Macc, but really that was Christopher Johnson waiting until after free agency and the draft to then fire Macc. Macc wasnt going to fire himself. 

However with all of that being accurate, are we to believe that JD couldnt find anyone else to sign? Im not talking about someone who wasnt retired, but a person who was healthy. Ryan Kalil was dealing with major injuries since 2016. 

But say that JD simply loved Kalil, for whatever reason, what possessed him to pay him 8 million when Kalil's last contract in Carolina he was making 8+ million and his play didnt dwindled after 2015 and between his decline and injuries he never lived up to the 8+ million he was making. The only season where he earned that top salary was 2015. From 2016-18 he was a shell of himself and couldnt stay on the field. 

I can understand someone saying that the signing wasnt bad because we needed to find upgrades and it was possible that Kalil was able to provide that. However, there was never a time since 2016 that he was worth 8+ million dollars. 

If the asking price for him was 8 million, take it or leave it, JD should have left it because history showed that his last 3 years in the league he didnt even deserve it then. 

The JD signing was bad given the price. There is no need to damage control that aspect. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The JD signing was bad given the price. There is no need to damage control that aspect. 

But given the options and the damaged it could cost to the team moving forward, which was nothing, it was worth a shot

I cant even begin to figure all the crying over a lousy $8 mil that has done nothing to hurt the team 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

But give3n the options and the damaged it could cost to the team moving forward, which was nothing, it was worth a shot

I cant even begin to figure all the crying over a lousy $8 mil that has done nothing to hurt the team 

Yeah I don’t get it.

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

But given the options and the damaged it could cost to the team moving forward, which was nothing, it was worth a shot. 

Except, that money could have been used to renew a guy like Robby's contract last season. To say that blowing 8 million on a guy who started 7 games but really was only semi-respectable in 1 game, is not a big deal (because it's JD) is like someone saying that it wasn't a big deal that Trumaine Johnson got paid 32 million for starting 15 games for us. 

I guess the later counts because it's Macc. 

No one is crying, folks are just exposing the the damage control of some folks here. Not you in particular Jet Nut, but these same folks who would damage control this 8 million will then turn around and consider paying Robby market value is suddenly over paying and would actually blame JD if he did that, but wont call a spade a spade with this Ryan Kalil contract. 

Folks are jumping all over the place when they know what is being said. No one is crying, lets stop that narrative. Folks are simply exposing how folks think it's cool to blow 8 million on a washed up center but cant consider paying a guy who was really the only threat in this WR corp since 2017. 

That's what's weird to folks reading this. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Except, that money could have been used to renew a guy like Robby's contract last season.

We were well under the cap.  That $8M made no difference.  We could have signed Anderson at any time we wanted to, $8M or not.  

And as we're seeing right now, we probably stand to save money if we choose to sign Robby now vs signing him last offseason.

JD >>>>> Villain

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Except, that money could have been used to renew a guy like Robby's contract last season. To say that blowing 8 million on a guy who started 7 games but really was only semi-respectable in 1 game, is not a big deal (because it's JD) is like someone saying that it wasn't a big deal that Trumaine Johnson got paid 32 million for starting 15 games for us. 

I guess the later counts because it's Macc. 

No one is crying, folks are just exposing the the damage control of some folks here. Not you in particular Jet Nut, but these same folks who would damage control this 8 million will then turn around and consider paying Robby market value is suddenly over paying and would actually blame JD if he did that, but wont call a spade a spade with this Ryan Kalil contract. 

Folks are jumping all over the place when they know what is being said. No one is crying, lets stop that narrative. Folks are simply exposing how folks think it's cool to blow 8 million on a washed up center but cant consider paying a guy who was really the only threat in this WR corp since 2017. 

That's what's weird to folks reading this. 

Robby wasn't renewed because they didnt want to renew Robby.  Probably because Robby was operating under the thought that he was worth more than what people think today.  Thing is if JD wants to resign Robby today, even at 15 mil he could, but he won't.  So the 8 mil is still not an issue to be going on about, its not wasted it was taken to try and improve the OL 

• Upvote 1