OT: Media coverage of sports

Matt39

Max, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it. Just thought it was a nice off season topic.

Which channel do you think covered their respective sport the best. Here's my two cents.

Nobody did baseball better than: NBC. Vin Scully & Joe Garagiola: I know I'm a little young to remember them fully. I just feel they had the best MLB coverage of any. Much better than Mccarver and Buck anyway on FOX.

Nobody does football better than: Fox. Alot of people can hate and say Fox adds too much comedy and many bells & whistles to the broadcast, but if it wasn't for Fox, you probably wouldn't see the score box continually on the screen. Also, they revitalized the pregame show, something that CBS started with The NFL today. CBS doesn't do a bad job either. People, especially Jets fans seem to forget the NFL on NBC in the early to mid 90's(not a bad thing, since how bad the Jets were) but they also did a nice job in my opionion.

Nobody did basketball better than: NBC. Older guys might feel CBS had it better but there's nothin like hearing that theme song and it automatically makes you think basketball. NBC did it for me when it came to NBA coverage. I think everybody knows that ABC/ESPN's coverage is adequate at best. Hell, ABC coverage puts me to sleep. Well, maybe it's just the NBA itself.

College basketball is tough. SOmetimes Im screaming at the TV during CBS broadcast of the tournament to take off Duke obliterating Florida A&M, but on the other hand they seem to know what they're doing most of the time.

How can you possibly enjoy FOX's NFL coverage? Their pre-game show is a just gimmick after gimmick, Joe "Pat Summerall on sedatives" Buck is their lead play-by-play man, and the otherwise solid Stockton/Moose tandem is ruined by Tony Siragusa, who belongs alongside the ESPN Sunday Night crew. CBS' coverage blows FOX away. There are constantly scores and stats on the bottom of the screen, where FOX just has scores in the corner. FOX was fairly innovative when they first got the NFL, but CBS has taken what FOX did and perfected.

I agree on NBC though, with baseball and basketball. How many World Series' is Joe Buck going to ruin before FOX finally ****cans him?

How can you possibly enjoy FOX's NFL coverage? Their pre-game show is a just gimmick after gimmick, Joe "Pat Summerall on sedatives" Buck is their lead play-by-play man, and the otherwise solid Stockton/Moose tandem is ruined by Tony Siragusa, who belongs alongside the ESPN Sunday Night crew. CBS' coverage blows FOX away. There are constantly scores and stats on the bottom of the screen, where FOX just has scores in the corner. FOX was fairly innovative when they first got the NFL, but CBS has taken what FOX did and perfected.

I agree on NBC though, with baseball and basketball. How many World Series' is Joe Buck going to ruin before FOX finally ****cans him?

Ehh, I dont know what it is about Fox. I like it, although I agree Buck sucks. I like Aikman though. I usually tune Siragusa out. CBS's top crew Simms and Nance(I think it may be Gumble again) are good, but the rest are pretty brutal to me. **** Enberg has no idea what's going on anymore, Dierdorf has always sucked and Cross is brutal.

I think CBS pregame isn't very good either. I think you and I are however part of a few that actually like Sterling Sharpe though. I think he's hysterical.

Archived