So... what's on the agenda for Tomorrow's FA?

As we've discussed at length, we're having a solid FA period for 2020 so far. Today found us learning about the resigning of two players that were thought to be goners just a few days ago in Jordan Jenkins and James Burgess. Jenkins was all but forgotten after the Connor Hughes tweet that our offer was far below what Jenkins was asking. Then Boom! $5 mil for Jenkins!   This was a good day and we attacked our linebacking corp nicely. 

So what do we see happening for tomorrow? We still have a few areas that we've left unaddressed. Namely WR and RB.  

Both Powell and Montgomery are FA's so that leaves us with Adams, Cannon and Bell as the only RB's on the roster. As of right now the only real WR's we have under contract are Jeff Smith, Jamison Crowder, Berrios and Vyncint Smith. 

I could see JD being ready to take a swing at one or both of those areas tomorrow. I am thinking we do one of the following to address WR. 

1. Resign Robby Anderson

2. Sign Breshad Perriman 

3. Devin Funchess

4. Philip Dorset.... please no! 

Either way I think WR is coming down the pike sooner than later. 

As far as the RB positions, I think it's interesting to note that Ty Montgomery was a Macc addition and Powell was a Gase Addition. If one of those are brought back I could actually see it being Powell. All of the supposed versatility that TM brought to the team was rarely used if at all by Gase and it just doesn't seem like Gase has any real interest in trying to creatively find ways for TM to get on the field and make an impact. Remember the stories of Bell and TM on the field together in 2 back sets?  Yeah well...  unfortunately I don't see too much out there in the RB dept. but here are a couple of options we may take a look at. 

1. Kareem Hunt who is a restricted FA seems unlikely but he's the best of the bunch out there. 

2. Resigning Bilal Powell

3. Carols Hyde

4. Deandre Washington from the Raiders who has not done much but is a tough runner 

So who do you see signing tomorrow if anyone?  Do you agree about the positions mentioned here or do you think we will go another way entirely?  Maybe resigning Lachlan Edwards? Maybe signing Gostkowski from the Pats?  WTF is that all about anyway? 

:) 

Edit:  i completely forgot about Enunwa but in all honesty I really don't see him making the team this year. That's my thought on that. Added Adams to the RB list too. :P 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

As far as RB, someone through out the idea a couple days ago to throw a late round pick at Denver for Royce Freeman.

Denver doesn’t have much use for him now that they have both Gordon and Lindsey.

hmmm i'd prefer to keep our picks but are you thinking about one of the 6ths?  The same 6th that we'll be using for Hot Rod Blankenship??  hahaha

Interesting thought 

17 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I’d love to have Powell back at some point, he’s a true Jet. Good job as always @GREENBEAN

The good news is that Gase seems to like him too. he had a decent year as a backup with this atrocious o line. I'd like to see him come back as the 2nd or 3rd back with a young guy brought in for speed and explosiveness I think. 

22 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

As of right now the only WR's we have under contract are Jeff Smith, Jamison Crowder, Berrios and Vyncint Smith. 

You forgot about Josh Doctson, but then again so did the Redskins.

Could be a decent project player or it doesn't work out. 

• Upvote 4

Not saying any of these guys can contribute but the Jets have a lot of WRs: Crowder, Enunwa, Bellamy, Doctson, Chesson, Vyncint Smith, Berrios, Malone, Hatcher, Jeff Smith.  Not a lot of quality but they must have these guys for a reason other than to fill up the payroll.  Sign one FA receiver, draft a couple, and sign 1 or 2 as UDFA.

As for RBs, they have Bell, Cannon, Josh Adams, and Dixon.  With Bell on the roster, they probably can look to the draft to bring in a cheap option.  They should just run Bell as much as possible and groom a replacement for when he is done.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

You forgot about Josh Doctson, but then again so did the Redskins.

Could be a decent project player or it doesn't work out. 

Its time to go to bed. I've been corrected 3x in the past hour. lol   It's time.  

Thanks for the reminder.  :) 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

As we've discussed at length, we're having a solid FA period for 2020 so far. Today found us learning about the resigning of two players that were thought to be goners just a few days ago in Jordan Jenkins and James Burgess. Jenkins was all but forgotten after the Connor Hughes tweet that our offer was far below what Jenkins was asking. Then Boom! $5 mil for Jenkins!   This was a good day and we attacked our linebacking corp nicely. 

So what do we see happening for tomorrow? We still have a few areas that we've left unaddressed. Namely WR and RB.  

Both Powell and Montgomery are FA's so that leaves us with Cannon and Bell as the only RB's on the roster. As of right now the only WR's we have under contract are Jeff Smith, Jamison Crowder, Berrios and Vyncint Smith. 

I could see JD being ready to take a swing at one or both of those areas tomorrow. I am thinking we do one of the following to address WR. 

1. Resign Robby Anderson

2. Sign Breshad Perriman 

3. Devin Funchess

4. Philip Dorset.... please no! 

Either way I think WR is coming down the pike sooner than later. 

As far as the RB positions, I think it's interesting to note that Ty Montgomery was a Macc addition and Powell was a Gase Addition. If one of those are brought back I could actually see it being Powell. All of the supposed versatility that TM brought to the team was rarely used if at all by Gase and it just doesn't seem like Gase has any real interest in trying to creatively find ways for TM to get on the field and make an impact. Remember the stories of Bell and TM on the field together in 2 back sets?  Yeah well...  unfortunately I don't see too much out there in the RB dept. but here are a couple of options we may take a look at. 

1. Kareem Hunt who is a restricted FA seems unlikely but he's the best of the bunch out there. 

2. Resigning Bilal Powell

3. Carols Hyde

4. Deandre Washington from the Raiders who has not done much but is a tough runner 

So who do you see signing tomorrow if anyone?  Do you agree about the positions mentioned here or do you think we will go another way entirely?  Maybe resigning Lachlan Edwards? Maybe signing Gostkowski from the Pats?  WTF is that all about anyway? 

:) 

Edit:  i completely forgot about Enunwa but in all honesty I really don't see him making the team this year. That's my thought on that. 

Sign Robby.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Not saying any of these guys can contribute but the Jets have a lot of WRs: Crowder, Enunwa, Bellamy, Doctson, Chesson, Vyncint Smith, Berrios, Malone, Hatcher, Jeff Smith.  Not a lot of quality but they must have these guys for a reason other than to fill up the payroll.  Sign one FA receiver, draft a couple, and sign 1 or 2 as UDFA.

As for RBs, they have Bell, Cannon, Josh Adams, and Dixon.  With Bell on the roster, they probably can look to the draft to bring in a cheap option.  They should just run Bell as much as possible and groom a replacement for when he is done.

Jesus, This makes 4x times I'm corrected this hour. lol 

Interestingly I'm actually really high on Josh Adams. he had a good year with the Eagles. I'd like to see him get a shot to contribute in 2020. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

That's it huh?  :) 

Hey, I wouldn't be upset if that's all that happened tomorrow.  That's for sure. 

Over/Under $10 mil per.   Whatdoya got? 

My prediction is 3 years \ 30 million but the average of the first two years will be less. Don't negotiate with Joe Douglas, you will lose.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

My prediction is 3 years \ 30 million but the average of the first two years will be less. Don't negotiate with Joe Douglas, you will lose.

haha It's seeming that way. The Jenkins deal had to come with a slice of humble pie. Poor fella. 

I'd like to see 3/$30mil  that sounds good. He's a guy I'd like to sign for more than the 1 year contracts we're seeing, but it might not be a bad idea just to lock him up for the season under the guise of "hey, next year the WR draft won't be this packed and if you have a good season..."  He might bite on something like that. 

I'd prefer the 3 yrs though 

I think it's time to move on from Bilal Powell. He's been a good Jet but please, let's get a young explosive RB in the draft & let Adams play the 2nd man up role behind Le'veon. 

We have two 3rd rounders, and with 55 WRs in this draft a few RBs will drop.  Keep an eye on Hellaire, he seems to fit our mold. I doubt Bell is even here in 2021 so we need to draft a RB. Like others have stated, outside of Edge & CB, all of our draft assets need to go to offense. Oline, WR, RB. 

Best case scenario is Robbys price comes way down, we trade for a guy like Cooks & we draft a guy to bring along. Most rookie WRs don't explode out of the gate. But if you have some experience around them (Cooks + Anderson + Crowder), slowly integrating a rookie WR with that group it's tough for a defense to cover everyone. You integrate a rookie into 4 WR sets, they'll usually ignore the rookie until they get burned a few times. 

• Upvote 1

Would love to see Robby and Powell resigned soon.

We all know the score on what Robby brings to the table, but I want Sam to have a familiar face or 3 to throw to. 9.5 mil is a good starting point for signing him IMO.

Powell has tread left on the tires and can catch. If he is rotated in with Bell and ? then I don't see a problem. Draft a RB that can catch somewhere and we can call it a day at RB. 

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Time to pivot and attack WR. we need an answer from Robby.

I'm actually right there with ya. I'd love to see Robby, but at this point it would almost be as valuable to let the world know that we have our limits and keep to them. 

New sheriff and such  

49 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I think it's time to move on from Bilal Powell. He's been a good Jet but please, let's get a young explosive RB in the draft & let Adams play the 2nd man up role behind Le'veon. 

We have two 3rd rounders, and with 55 WRs in this draft a few RBs will drop.  Keep an eye on Hellaire, he seems to fit our mold. I doubt Bell is even here in 2021 so we need to draft a RB. Like others have stated, outside of Edge & CB, all of our draft assets need to go to offense. Oline, WR, RB. 

Best case scenario is Robbys price comes way down, we trade for a guy like Cooks & we draft a guy to bring along. Most rookie WRs don't explode out of the gate. But if you have some experience around them (Cooks + Anderson + Crowder), slowly integrating a rookie WR with that group it's tough for a defense to cover everyone. You integrate a rookie into 4 WR sets, they'll usually ignore the rookie until they get burned a few times. 

I don't disagree with much of what you mentioned here. I like Hellaire but he just might be the 1st or 2nd RB off the board. He may be tough to grab. JK Dobbins had 6.7 yd avg for 2003 yds.  lol  That's pretty sick and he may slip to the 3rd. There are actually quite a few backs in the draft worth considering. 

The Powell discussion is real. We all thought  he was done after super smart Bowles claimed his career was over prematurely.  He looked good last year and still had quite a bit of pop and speed. It's emotional on my part but I'd like to see him back. Running Back.  lol 

9 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

I've been saying this as well. The Jets have a lot of younger depth players on the roster. A lot of Jet fans are talking about signing 2 WRs and drafting 2 or 3 more. Thats just not realistic. There is only so much room on the roster and the Jets aren't going to sign and draft a bunch of guys just to cut them (at least not now). If they bring back Robby, draft a WR early and a developmental WR late who may or may not make the roster depending on competition and who they sign as UDFAs, I'll be fine with that. 

As far as RB I want the Jets to draft one to replace Bell next year b/c he is all but a goner. This is a good opportunity to draft a RB and have him play in a complementary role before stepping into a leading role the following year. Akers and Gibson have become two favorites of mine who should be available in the 3rd round.  

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I've been saying this as well. The Jets have a lot of younger depth players on the roster. A lot of Jet fans are talking about signing 2 WRs and drafting 2 or 3 more. Thats just not realistic. There is only so much room on the roster and the Jets aren't going to sign and draft a bunch of guys just to cut them (at least not now). If they bring back Robby, draft a WR early and a developmental WR late who may or may not make the roster depending on competition and who they sign as UDFAs, I'll be fine with that. 

As far as RB I want the Jets to draft one to replace Bell next year b/c he is all but a goner. This is a good opportunity to draft a RB and have him play in a complementary role before stepping into a leading role the following year. Akers and Gibson have become two favorites of mine who should be available in the 3rd round.  

The only viable option out of our crew acquired via desperation is Vyncint Smith. Jeff Smith maybe, but I don't see it.  I think that most of those guys are fodder and will be gone sooner than later.  Adding two WR's from the draft in addition to Robby will be good. I think that's why they are holding off on signing any other WR until they know the deal with Robby. They just don't need it if the plan is to grab two WR's int eh draft.