Breaking Bad - late to the game

It's a great show.  Best is yet to come if you are just finishing season 2.

I'm probably in the minority, but as I get further removed from watching it, I find myself moving it lower on my greatest shows list(behind many I've watched prior to BB).

Still damn good though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm probably in the minority, but as I get further removed from watching it, I find myself moving it lower on my greatest shows list(behind many I've watched prior to BB).

Still damn good though.

Yeah, every once in a while I rewatched it (2-3 times) just not thinking much and get sucked right back in. Is the Sopranos one of the shows above it on your list?

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Just wait.  So many incredible characters are still to emerge.  And you have Better Call Saul waiting in the wings.  That's just other-worldly writing and acting.  You will be blown away by both series.

I am really into Better Call Saul but I think it is a little slower and some people don't like that, but both are beautiful pieces of art when it comes to visuals, acting, and writing. Hard to beat.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Drums said:

Yeah, every once in a while I rewatched it (2-3 times) just not thinking much and get sucked right back in. Is the Sopranos one of the shows above it on your list?

I am really into Better Call Saul but I think it is a little slower and some people don't like that, but both are beautiful pieces of art when it comes to visuals, acting, and writing. Hard to beat.

So many breaking bad fans had a really difficult time adjusting to the pace of Saul.  Not to reveal anything for those who haven't watched, but the first 2 seasons of Saul focus on his relationship to his brother and a couple of other non-fast paced sub plots.  It was a compelling story and they didn't rush it thankfully.  But for those watching, notice the uptake on the pacing last season and now.  The transformation of the characters is well done.  Love this show.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

So many breaking bad fans had a really difficult time adjusting to the pace of Saul.  Not to reveal anything for those who haven't watched, but the first 2 seasons of Saul focus on his relationship to his brother and a couple of other non-fast paced sub plots.  It was a compelling story and they didn't rush it thankfully.  But for those watching, notice the uptake on the pacing last season and now.  The transformation of the characters is well done.  Love this show.  

Yeah I really liked it and appreciate the character development.  I am not caught up with the new season yet but I've seen a few episodes. 

Still damn good though.

Agreed. I don't know what it is and it's hard to characterize, but while an amazing show, it doesn't have the sticky quality to my brain that a few of the other shows in my greatest ever list have had. There are certain shows that I'm still unable to slide down to incorporate new ones, but Breaking Bad I find myself sliding down more and more. In fact, depending on how this plays out, I'd even put Better Call Saul above Breaking Bad. 

Of course, I love the entire universe - even enjoyed the Pinkman movie and the way it tied into the first episode of the new BCS season. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Drums said:

To me and obviously subjective, the shows I'd put ahead are The Wire, The Sopranos and Game of Thrones for sure.   I also thought Dexter at its best was better than BB at its best, but Dexter had a sharp falloff late which sort of overshadowed how good it was for awhile.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

32 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

To me and obviously subjective, the shows I'd put ahead are The Wire, The Sopranos and Game of Thrones for sure.   I also thought Dexter at its best was better than BB at its best, but Dexter had a sharp falloff late which sort of overshadowed how good it was for awhile.

Me being subjective as well:  Mad Men and Sopranos as best series ever (I'm comfortable with either one as best).   After that Orphan Black (wish more folks had watched this show; Tatiana Maslani was incredible in the lead role), Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul and Game of Thrones.

• Upvote 1

Okay, haven't watched much of the Wire but it is on my list. Dexter, I haven't seen either but not sure if it's dated or not.

34 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Me being subjective as well:  Mad Men and Sopranos as best series ever (I'm comfortable with either one as best).   After that Orphan Black (wish more folks had watched this show; Tatiana Maslani was incredible in the lead role), Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul and Game of Thrones.

Yeah Mad Men is amazing. I love The Sopranos--I rewatched season 1 recently and some of 2--too far from my memory to give it a proper rating right now. At the time, it was great, and on my rewatch, I've loved the writing.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Great list... Sopranos, Mad Men just awesome.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Drums said:

Yeah Mad Men is amazing. I love The Sopranos--I rewatched season 1 recently and some of 2--too far from my memory to give it a proper rating right now. At the time, it was great, and on my rewatch, I've loved the writing.

My son is 21 and had never seen it.  We all watched the entire series over Xmas break.  He absolutely loved it and plowed thru the whole thing.  Also hated the ending as much as my wife and me.  lol  I thought it held up really well.  I miss those characters.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

My son is 21 and had never seen it.  We all watched the entire series over Xmas break.  He absolutely loved it and plowed thru the whole thing.  Also hated the ending as much as my wife and me.  lol  I thought it held up really well.  I miss those characters.

Me too! It was good seeing them again.

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Im afraid to start....  I don't want to get hooked.

Figuring all the hype to be just that, I resisted Breaking Bad for years.  Now?  I'm an insane fan of both BB and Better Call Saul.  I have last night's episode on DVR as I need to fast forward thru the commercials.  Go for it.  You won't be disappointed.

6 minutes ago, Drums said:

It isn't a super long series to watch so you wouldn't be hooked for long, or maybe it is but it goes fast. I recommend it.

Listen to the man.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

enjoy. great thing about bb is there is no point where it gets worse. one of the most satisfying endings i can think of. maybe because it was only 5? maybe 6 seasons but it was constantly entertaining and shocking. top 5 dramatic show of all time imo

Walt's "journey" through that ending is one of the most brilliant pieces of TV drama ever.  So intense and out-of-the box lunacy.  You're right about it being satisfying.  Times 100.

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

My best friend here in Charlotte was born in Italy, lived in the Bronx. Won;t watch the Sopranos, says it denegrates Italians.  Side note, listening to his mom speak Italian to him is so awesome.  He speaks back in English as he moved here at 5 and barely speaks Italian but understands it. 

So when it was on, I would share expressions with him that we use daily.  Like.. 

"It's coming out of your end" (He and I are partners on some R.E)

"10 boxes of ziti"   10K in cash

The scene where they were trying to get money from the starbucks...  for protection.  ' He said, "You know, in case something should happen , to like YOU for example."

Finally, when Meadow brought Noah to the house and Tony said..  "We're Italian, and you are????"

GREAT lines in that show.

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Still damn good though.

Its in my top 5.

I like Lost and Justified better.

I remember when everybody was making such a big deal over this show, and I thought they were crazy. I don't watch much TV, but I was at my mom's house right before the final season was about to start and they were showing a marathon of the whole series before the new episode. I ended up binge watching the whole thing straight. Then I did the same thing streaming Better Call Saul, gonna watch the new episode now.

• Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I've never watched Lost.  It's my wife's favorite show.  Been debating giving it a go.

The episodes build on each other.  You really have to watch, you can't half pay attention.  A lot of stuff early on shows back up, sometimes a season or 2 later.

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Since I cannot go to the gym, working out at home and while re watching  "The Sopranos" from the beginning. It really holds up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Larz said:

This show is so consistently excellent. Almost done with season 4. 

I finished it and I am watching Better Call Saul now. Watched El Camino in between.

I stream these on a monitor that sits on top of my monitor. So I am like 47% watching. I can get through them fast because I am doing other stuff. But I might actually stream breaking bad again when I am done because I know I missed stuff.