Jets Sign Perriman

SR24

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Oh, my bad. Let me jump on the 5 week Perriman train...while forgetting his other 46 games and simply say that he's a later bloomer and that he can easily replace Robby. 

You're right. 

Listen I dont want to argue about it. Where both Jets fans stuck in quarantine. I get your pissed off but Robby left to play with Rhule. Perriman was the 2nd best WR remaining on the FA list. JD snatched him up. If he explodes you'll look back on this message n say FlightBoyz was right. If not FlightBoyz was a schmuck. 

@Paradis  @14 in Green Maybe you guys also noticed this. Maybe Im missing something here. 

Before Robby signed with Carolina and Perriman here with the Jets I recall folks calling Robby a one trick pony who can only run 9's. 

Yet we're replacing him with a person who's never been a starter, had a really nice 5 games before being let go that that same team, and all folks are talking about is how he can stretch the field like Robby. 

Isnt that what we heard about Vyncint Jackson (another Robby replacement with no actual production) before Perriman became a Jet? 

Can you tell me what im missing here? I thought we were suppose to be replacing one trick ponies with complete WR's that are either starters, or have starting potential because they show a wider range in their skillset. 

But if we're instead just getting guys with similar skillsets for cheaper given their lack of production, then where is the progression? Sure, we're saving money, but at the risk of taking flyers on guys who have never been shown to be reliable as starters, while pairing them up with incoming rookies. 

Where's the stability in that? 

Anyway, Im calling it a night. Hopefully I wake up and JD actually did something beneficial for Sam Darnold. Something that I dont have to damage control in my mind to convince myself that his guy is somehow having a fantastic offseason so far. 

33 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Nobody defending Robby has yet to answer this question and they won't.  With Crowder, Bell, Herndon/Griffin and the likely 11th overall pick at WR (Ruggs/Jeudy/Lamb) where would Robby get touches and what would his numbers look like in that scenario? The rookie immediately would replace his current share of the targets, that's not debatable. The next highest WR on the Jets in 2019 had 58 targets.  With Robbys 54% catch rate that's 31 rec and 434 yds. Is that worth $12 million in 2020?

Any of the following guys defending Robby want to answer this? 

@Samtorobby47

@Villain The Foe

@greenwichjetfan

@Kevin L

No one has asked me the question. 

How about asking me the question. 

I remember an interview with one of my two Sports Idols, Mickey Mantle, the other one was our own Broadway Joe, when he stated in his day you only got 1 year contracts and you were always hungry to earn more the following year.  Joe Douglas must of read the same quotes by Mickey. And followed them to the tee.   

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

@Paradis  @14 in Green Maybe you guys also noticed this. Maybe Im missing something here. 

Before Robby signed with Carolina and Perriman here with the Jets I recall folks calling Robby a one trick pony who can only run 9's. 

Yet we're replacing him with a person who's never been a starter, had a really nice 5 games before being let go that that same team, and all folks are talking about is how he can stretch the field like Robby. 

Isnt that what we heard about Vyncint Jackson (another Robby replacement with no actual production) before Perriman became a Jet? 

Can you tell me what im missing here? I thought we were suppose to be replacing one trick ponies with complete WR's that are either starters, or have starting potential because they show a wider range in their skillset. 

But if we're instead just getting guys with similar skillsets for cheaper given their lack of production, then where is the progression? Sure, we're saving money, but at the risk of taking flyers on guys who have never been shown to be reliable as starters, while pairing them up with incoming rookies. 

Anyway, Im calling it a night. Hopefully I wake up and JD actually did something beneficial for Sam Darnold. Something that I dont have to damage control in my mind to convince myself that his guy is somehow having a fantastic offseason so far. 

You're completely right. They both kinda suck and will require more talent around them. Screaming at each other about Robby Anderlols and Bustad Perriman is stupid, pointless, and a bit sad. 

Just now, greenwichjetfan said:

What does Robby have to do with Perriman being a nobody for 80% of his career 51 games?

Probably something to do with the fact that you're getting a player who, in their most recent season, contributed the same amount as Robby in less games, snaps, targets, etc. for half the cost of Robby. 

I'll say it again.  Some players need a second chance, time to develop, etc.  There will be another WR on this team come opening day.  This isn't the end of the world unless you felt that passing on Robby was an absolute mistake, which I don't.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Nobody defending Robby has yet to answer this question and they won't.  With Crowder, Bell, Herndon/Griffin and the likely 11th overall pick at WR (Ruggs/Jeudy/Lamb) where would Robby get touches and what would his numbers look like in that scenario? The rookie immediately would replace his current share of the targets, that's not debatable. The next highest WR on the Jets in 2019 had 58 targets.  With Robbys 54% catch rate that's 31 rec and 434 yds. Is that worth $12 million in 2020?

Any of the following guys defending Robby want to answer this? 

@Samtorobby47

@Villain The Foe

@greenwichjetfan

@Kevin L

First of all. Show some respect to the sun god. He deserves better. 

Second. I’m not defending him. I’m arguing the signing of risky “high potential” players and not having a reliable WR outside of Crowder as a general concern. 

Third, we have no idea when they’ll draft a WR.  We could be going into camp with Perriman, Crowder and 2nd round rookie as your top 3. A lot could go wrong. 

Fourth, how dare you call me out. 

8 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Teddy Bridgewater is holding it down for the rookie they draft this year and while I respect the Bridge, he cannot, cannot throw the deep ball. 

DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel? DJ Moore is good. Curtis Samuel is...?

I just don't see how this is the better move for Robby in any way but financially. That's what he wanted. And he's a guy that's exactly to be counted upon for good decision making off-the-field either. He's a good player. I liked him on the Jets. He's also a liability off the field and not irreplaceable. 

And he couldn't be replaced because our last two GM's were trash that ignored offense outside of drafting Sam and signing Bell. I just don't see that as a ringing endorsement of Robby. 

Sam Darnold really isnt that much better throwing the deep ball either. The difference? We know Bridgewater is just a place holder and the rookie that the Panthers bring in should hope to have that skillset in order to take full advantage of their targets. 

There is no replacement for Sam. So Sam's inaccurate deep ball will be the same unless he improved it. 

DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel is better than what Robby Anderson had around him. That's what makes this situation better for him outside of finances. He's also with an old coach and arguably the best RB in the league. The Panthers are in a much better position as an organization than the Jets. 

Lets be honest about that. 

Folks who cant see the benefit done want to see it. Nothing I say will open their eyes to it. 

Robby seen it, and that's all that matters. 

Just now, Samtorobby47 said:

Second. I’m not defending him. I’m arguing the signing of risky “high potential” players and not having a reliable WR outside of Crowder as a general concern. 

Third, we have no idea when they’ll draft a WR.  We could be going into camp with Perriman, Crowder and 2nd round rookie as your top 3. A lot could go wrong. 

5th, Deal with it. And just like I thought, you don't have an answer. That speaks volumes.

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Perriman basically does the same thing Robby does - takes the top off - with better measurables (big enough to go over the middle) and demonstrated elite production in his 5 game stretch as a starter last year. He was a first round pick who started slow but is now on the upswing, with no disciplinary issues. I'd rather have him than Robby, and i like Robby

2 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

dude was a bust for a few years....but he was really good last year when evans and goodwin went down. imo his only issue was injuries not anything else.  i ll miss the sun god but this guy when healthy is as good and maybe /ducks better. lets sign one more wr and get one in the draft

fans might be looking at Perriman's end to the season and wondering how they got a superstar wide receiver for just over half of what Anderson got from the Panthers, I'll push back a bit. To start, those three consecutive 100-yard games came against three of the worst pass defenses in football: the Lions (who ranked 29th in pass defense DVOA), Texans (26th), and Falcons (25th).

10 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Mmmm I smell pain on you. Toxic Organization fully agree..   toxic fan base yep ...  Seems like you hate the Jets but you are still loyal to them. I like that.

Glad for Robby to be free ... Free of the pain you have chained yourself to... But not sad he's gone?.... I'll buy it and move on considering I've read your posts for a decade and respect the loathsome dedication.

You should, I've followed this piece of sh*t organization since the mid 90's, and im one of the lucky one's. Some of these posters are old farts who go back to the 70's and even 60's. 

I dont know how the hell they're doing it. lol. 

Just now, Losmeister said:

fans might be looking at Perriman's end to the season and wondering how they got a superstar wide receiver for just over half of what Anderson got from the Panthers, I'll push back a bit. To start, those three consecutive 100-yard games came against three of the worst pass defenses in football: the Lions (who ranked 29th in pass defense DVOA), Texans (26th), and Falcons (25th).

Counterpoint: good players should thrive against bad competition.

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Sam Darnold really isnt that much better throwing the deep ball either. The difference? We know Bridgewater is just a place holder and the rookie that the Panthers bring in should hope to have that skillset in order to take full advantage of their targets. 

There is no replacement for Sam. So Sam's inaccurate deep ball will be the same unless he improved it. 

DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel is better than what Robby Anderson had around him. That's what makes this situation better for him outside of finances. He's also with an old coach and arguably the best RB in the league. The Panthers are in a much better position as an organization than the Jets. 

Lets be honest about that. 

Folks who cant see the benefit done want to see it. Nothing I say will open their eyes to it. 

Robby seen it, and that's all that matters. 

The Panthers are going to pay $12 million for 35-40 receptions. That's a terrible waste of about $6 million.

2 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I really don’t care about Robby. Could care less we didn’t resign him. 

I'm just worried about the offense my friend. 

Lol. Do I need to pull up your posts from the last 2 months?  Or how about I just look at your name on this site. That's weak AF

10 minutes ago, FlightBoyz said:

Listen I dont want to argue about it. Where both Jets fans stuck in quarantine. I get your pissed off but Robby left to play with Rhule. Perriman was the 2nd best WR remaining on the FA list. JD snatched him up. If he explodes you'll look back on this message n say FlightBoyz was right. If not FlightBoyz was a schmuck. 

Im happy that Robby got the hell outta here. Im pissed that we're replacing starters with career bench players and using 5 games to extrapolate what his 4 year career doesnt say. The Perriman pick in general is a solid pick up....IF you have starters on your team. 

There is nothing regarding Perrimans career that doesnt shout that this is a huge risk. People are not fully taking in what im saying. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Samtorobby47 said:

Facts are that Robby started 46 of last 48 games. Perriman has had every injury in the book. 

I think if Perriman stays healthy he could potentially match Robbys production, but that’s an enormous leap of faith given his track record. The Jets to add a lot more depth to the position given the substantial injury history of Crowder, Enunwa, and Perriman. 

10 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You're completely right. They both kinda suck and will require more talent around them. Screaming at each other about Robby Anderlols and Bustad Perriman is stupid, pointless, and a bit sad. 

No, one was a multi year starter, who signed a contract to be a starter for another team because he's starting material. 

The other one is Perriman. 

7 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Perriman basically does the same thing Robby does - takes the top off - with better measurables (big enough to go over the middle) and demonstrated elite production in his 5 game stretch as a starter last year. He was a first round pick who started slow but is now on the upswing, with no disciplinary issues. I'd rather have him than Robby, and i like Robby

All this sounds good until we get to the part that folks who usually make statements like the one above never mentions. 

Production. 

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

He’s 26 years old and a former first round pick of the Ravens. He was largely a bust until putting together a very nice 14 game season for TB last season. This goes under the heading that you scout a player for what he IS and could BECOME. Not for who he WAS. Impossible for any of us to evaluate Perriman without comparing his play from last year and prior years. Did he change anything? Better route runner? More effort off the field? Did something cause him to take a step forward in his development? 

I'd guess more maturity than anything else.  Significant emotional event?  Marriage? or had a kid?  I like the signing fwiw.  Maybe some great upside maybe meh...he's a one-year roster fill.

29 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I don't find it hard for Robby to be on par for the same amount or more target depending on how potent our offense become with an improve OL and chemistry amoungst players and coaches. 

As for the rookie he could have definitely took Thomas spot. With more talent out there the more efficient you would expect our passing game would be. 

Robby getting paid $10M per year with $12M in the first ain't that bad. Due to his availability (played is 46 out 48 games) as you hear most of this board scream about staying away from player XYZ due to missing such and such games or not being healthy enough to play in 100% of the games.

As for Perriman, he's a good signing. Yes he's cheaper because he suppose to be cheaper. Hopefully guys tamper their expectations and don't get too hard on him as if he's supposed to pop out as a 700+ yard receiver. With his upside it would have be great to get a team option on him.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

No, one was a multi year starter, who signed a contract to be a starter for another team because he's starting material. 

The other one is Perriman. 

Meh. Next time Robby wins a fight for a ball, it'll be in a Chuk E. Cheeses against a 6 year old. Maybe. LOL.

I will miss Side Show Bob's insightful tweets, though. 

#Quartine

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1