Jump to content
SR24

Jets Sign Perriman

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

The decision to let Robby walk was the right one. Over paid specialist... i don’t care as much about outgoing talent as much as I do incoming. Right now we’ve added two busts for depth purposes. 

that’s pushing it 

I think you're underestimating Perriman - or, more accurately, using the wrong analytical lens to assess his signing. 

What did Robby bring to the offensive table for the Jets? Elite deep speed. The ability to blow the top off the defense and therefore he forced the defense to defend against that on every play. Perriman brings that same skillset, and there's no question he's effective at it (ypc exceeded Robby the past two years). So in terms of the specific role in the Jets offense, he's not a downgrade.

And with his size and the hands he's shown over the past two years, he offers at least three possibility of an upgrade on the short to intermediate routes the team tried and mostly failed to expand Robby's role into last year. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

 

Good find. I didn't realize how many yards Winston's inaccuracy cost him

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Jetster said:

So we let a #2 WR go and saved 4 million dollars that we used to resign Jordan Jenkins...win...win.

i like to look at Free Agency & say what would Bill Belichick do? No one has been more successful at building a TEAM than that guy over the last 20 years. Would Bill give a #2/3 WR 12 million dollars? ABSOLUTELY NOT! 

Just imagine that Joe Douglas has signed Perriman, McGovern & Jenkins for what we paid Trumaine Johnson last year & he was benched. 3 players for 1. There's finally an adult in charge. Football has always been a TEAM game, Robby Anderson is not a fit on our team for 12 million. 

Deebo Samuel was a 2nd round pick last year. Who would you choose if you had the choice between Samuel & Anderson? 

It's 2 years at $20 with $12 guaranteed. Thus is $10/year, not $12. We downgraded from Robby to Perriman for $2M lousy dollars (and only have Perriman for a year so even if Jet fans' wildest dreams come true he's gonna want a huge raise in 2021). This was not a very good move.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jgb said:

It's 2 years at $20 with $12 guaranteed. Thus is $10/year, not $12. We downgraded from Robby to Perriman for $2M lousy dollars (and only have Perriman for a year so even if Jet fans' wildest dreams come true he's gonna want a huge raise in 2021). This was not a very good move.

If the latest rumors are to be believed, Anderson turned down 4-years $40m from the Jets to sign for the Panthers. His old HC played a part, but so too did the opportunity to test FA again fairly quickly.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, British Jet said:

If the latest rumors are to be believed, Anderson turned down 4-years $40m from the Jets to sign for the Panthers. His old HC played a part, but so too did the opportunity to test FA again fairly quickly.

That would definitely change things, although some of that could be CYA by the Jets. Hard to know what is or isn't true this time of year. Oh, well. Robby's gone. Time to move on, I suppose. It all comes back to the same point: JD has got to nail the draft.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much a one for one. Although I think Perriman has more versatility. Very good hands, decent route runner. Less money. 
I like the one year, “show me what you got” signing. 
JD gets an A- grade for me on this one.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joey D better ace this draft with regards to the WR position.  Perriman isn’t good.  Doctson hasn’t shown anything.   I get they’re both cheap and 1 year deals but this team is still extremely weak at the receiver positions.   Hopefully more to come.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is really good.  gives them flexibility to draft a wr in the 2nd round or later to transition into the starting job.  if they didn't get a guy who could replace robbie they might have had to go wr with pick 11.  now they can use it for oline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetster said:

So we let a #2 WR go and saved 4 million dollars that we used to resign Jordan Jenkins...win...win.

i like to look at Free Agency & say what would Bill Belichick do? No one has been more successful at building a TEAM than that guy over the last 20 years. Would Bill give a #2/3 WR 12 million dollars? ABSOLUTELY NOT! 

Just imagine that Joe Douglas has signed Perriman, McGovern & Jenkins for what we paid Trumaine Johnson last year & he was benched. 3 players for 1. There's finally an adult in charge. Football has always been a TEAM game, Robby Anderson is not a fit on our team for 12 million. 

Deebo Samuel was a 2nd round pick last year. Who would you choose if you had the choice between Samuel & Anderson? 

yep.  wasn't tyreek hill a 5th rounder?  i like the deal.  it would've been nice to keep robbie but he wasn't a no. 1 receiver.  it's going to be interesting to see how he fares in carolina.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joey D better ace this draft with regards to the WR position.  Perriman isn’t good.  Doctson hasn’t shown anything.   I get they’re both cheap and 1 year deals but this team is still extremely weak at the receiver positions.   Hopefully more to come.  
Perriman is as good as RA .. which means he is a good WR2b- WR3

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

Perriman is as good as RA .. which means he is a good WR2b- WR3

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 

Based on what exactly?  I was never a huge Robby fan, but he’s much better than Perriman.  Perriman hasn’t done anything in his career except for a 5 game stretch on a team that threw the ball over 40 times per game.  You guys need to look past stat lines.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perriman looked good in his role last year, very solid signing, would have liked to have kept Robbie, but it sure seems like the team did not really want him that much...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So, I guess JD did have a plan B.  Woudl still like to see a more experienced vet added to the mix.  Not sure if Perriman is a late bloomer who finally figured it out at the end of last season, or an overrated draft bust who had a couple of nice games to close out 2019.   I am hoping for the former.

So I hear this all the time. I still would have liked someone else. Do you understand free agency? It’s not a draft. You have to balance who’s AVAILABLE with what they want, what they are being offered and if they fit your scheme. If you looked at the list of FA WRs he was the best option available (unless you think Robby is worth the $$ he got) amari cooper was gone. Emanuel Sanders was gone.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Joey D better ace this draft with regards to the WR position.  Perriman isn’t good.  Doctson hasn’t shown anything.   I get they’re both cheap and 1 year deals but this team is still extremely weak at the receiver positions.   Hopefully more to come.  

Signing robby anderson back wasnt going to change this.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Based on what exactly?  I was never a huge Robby fan, but he’s much better than Perriman.  Perriman hasn’t done anything in his career except for a 5 game stretch on a team that threw the ball over 40 times per game.  You guys need to look past stat lines.  

Can't evaluate Perriman based on career.  A light went on for him last year, as others have highlighted.  He was a beast down the stretch last year.

Others mentioned it, but after a solid rookie year, he had inconsistencies, but how much of that was due to Flacco not being that great.  He was let go, bounced around, then last year got an opportunity in TB.  If you evaluate how he developed last year, it's as if things started to come together.  The highlight reels speak to it.

We can't evaluate Perriman vs Anderson based on their 3 years in the league.  Sometimes, players need time to figure things out in the NFL.  Talent has always been there, he is far more gifted than Anderson overall.  Speed is same, but Perriman brings strength, and better athleticism.

Look at what he did last year with the Bucs, that is the player we are getting, who may have started to find himself in the league.

  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JetsRay said:

Can't evaluate Perriman based on career.  A light went on for him last year, as others have highlighted.  He was a beast down the stretch last year.

Others mentioned it, but after a solid rookie year, he had inconsistencies, but how much of that was due to Flacco not being that great.  He was let go, bounced around, then last year got an opportunity in TB.  If you evaluate how he developed last year, it's as if things started to come together.  The highlight reels speak to it.

We can't evaluate Perriman vs Anderson based on their 3 years in the league.  Sometimes, players need time to figure things out in the NFL.  Talent has always been there, he is far more gifted than Anderson overall.  Speed is same, but Perriman brings strength, and better athleticism.

Look at what he did last year with the Bucs, that is the player we are getting, who may have started to find himself in the league.

A light went on?  Lol.  This f**king guy again?   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Signing robby anderson back wasnt going to change this.

I agree.  I just don’t agree with this notion that Perriman and Anderson are interchangeable and the Jets got the same player but for a few million less.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sec101row23 said:

A light went on?  Lol.  This f**king guy again?   

Are you being a douche?
 

Just look at his stats in the second half when he was forced into a lead role due to injuries to Evans and Godwin.  This isn't hard, it's an accurate assessment.  But whatever, keep douching...

  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked Robbie, would have liked him resigned.   In my mind they are similar but different players that would play the same role in our offense.   You guys strongly arguing over which is better has got to be cabin fever from being quarantined too long.

if you guys want to make this interesting, you should make make some wagers regarding this coming season.   Either wager who will have a better season in 2020 ( and you can argue which parameters to use), or wager whether Perriman has a better season this year than Robbie had last year.   Kind of like fantasy football but real.  The winner can give his winnings to a charity or buy everybody a beer at the next home game..   Lot more fun than shouting the same things back and forth for another 20 pages!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I agree.  I just don’t agree with this notion that Perriman and Anderson are interchangeable and the Jets got the same player but for a few million less.  

I think Perriman & say Tajae Sharpe for cumulatively about the same money that RA got would be an upgrade. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Joey D better ace this draft with regards to the WR position.  Perriman isn’t good.  Doctson hasn’t shown anything.   I get they’re both cheap and 1 year deals but this team is still extremely weak at the receiver positions.   Hopefully more to come.  

Nothings changed.  Anderson wasn't that good.  The falloff, if any is negligible 

Especially when the money is factored in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I think Perriman & say Tajae Sharpe for cumulatively about the same money that RA got would be an upgrade. 

Sharpe wouldn’t be bad, he’s a local kid.   I also wouldn’t mind giving Cody Latimer a shot.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

Can't evaluate Perriman based on career.  A light went on for him last year, as others have highlighted.  He was a beast down the stretch last year.

Others mentioned it, but after a solid rookie year, he had inconsistencies, but how much of that was due to Flacco not being that great.  He was let go, bounced around, then last year got an opportunity in TB.  If you evaluate how he developed last year, it's as if things started to come together.  The highlight reels speak to it.

We can't evaluate Perriman vs Anderson based on their 3 years in the league.  Sometimes, players need time to figure things out in the NFL.  Talent has always been there, he is far more gifted than Anderson overall.  Speed is same, but Perriman brings strength, and better athleticism.

Look at what he did last year with the Bucs, that is the player we are getting, who may have started to find himself in the league.

My grandma could get open with Mike Evans and Chris Godwin taking double teams every play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jgb said:

My grandma could get open with Mike Evans and Chris Godwin taking double teams every play.

Didn’t they miss a bunch of games where Perriman got more looks and did well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Good find. I didn't realize how many yards Winston's inaccuracy cost him

Welcome to football.  Didn't realize you were such a new fan.  

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jgb said:

My grandma could get open with Mike Evans and Chris Godwin taking double teams every play.

Perriman did his best work with Evans and Godwin out.  What are we talking about here?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

I think you're underestimating Perriman - or, more accurately, using the wrong analytical lens to assess his signing. 

What did Robby bring to the offensive table for the Jets? Elite deep speed. The ability to blow the top off the defense and therefore he forced the defense to defend against that on every play. Perriman brings that same skillset, and there's no question he's effective at it (ypc exceeded Robby the past two years). So in terms of the specific role in the Jets offense, he's not a downgrade.

And with his size and the hands he's shown over the past two years, he offers at least three possibility of an upgrade on the short to intermediate routes the team tried and mostly failed to expand Robby's role into last year. 

I really don’t think Perriman is comparable when it comes to “elite deep speed”. He’s more of a big body, jump ball kind of guy. Don’t see him as taking a top off a defense. 
That role will be filled by Juedy or Ruggs :)

  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Samtorobby47 said:

I really don’t think Perriman is comparable when it comes to “elite deep speed”. He’s more of a big body, jump ball kind of guy. Don’t see him as taking a top off a defense. 
That role will be filled by Juedy or Ruggs :)

I don’t think anybody was suggesting g he would be the top guy.  Robby wasn’t a top guy either.  On most teams he is 3 or maybe 2 on some.  This draft is loaded with very good WR

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Didn’t they miss a bunch of games where Perriman got more looks and did well?

He did have two of his better games in weeks 16,17 when both Godwin and Evans were out, that's true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Perriman did his best work with Evans and Godwin out.  What are we talking about here?

Yes I ackowledge in the two games he played without them in week 16 and 17, he had two of his better games and a lot more targets. I still put a lot more weight on the 40+  games before that where he sucked than on a two game "streak."

Look, Perriman is a decent enough flier but I don't get those who act like he is on the verge of stardom. I hope so, but I see only scant evidence that he has it in him and a mountain of evidence that he is a capital-B Bust. Plus the Jets offense is a totally different (read: less productive) than the Bucs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Where in my post did I mention Robby?

All I’m talking about is what’s on the team. 

With a name like Samtorobby you didn't have to...B)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I really don’t think Perriman is comparable when it comes to “elite deep speed”. He’s more of a big body, jump ball kind of guy. Don’t see him as taking a top off a defense. 
That role will be filled by Juedy or Ruggs :)

4.25 40 time not good enough?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...