The 1 year deals...

For some deals I liked it however this has been the case for almost every deal. Same way we inflated Fant's contract for the option years could have been done for other guys as well. Plus we had the cap space to do it. So it looks like we'll go into next season with the same amount of needs minus the positions we draft soon.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Dude give it a rest.  We get it you hate Douglas.  Instead of being fair and giving him at least one offseason you have obviously made your decision.  Also please stop saying how we all call him a “great” GM.  Nobody said that he was great in fact we don’t know what he will ultimately be, it depends on his drafts. But it sounds like you are being negative for hell of it 

You should give it a rest and stop celebrating the guy for his sole accomplishment so far of not signing good players.

I’m not really knocking him - I’m knocking the fans - I don’t hate JD and as I’ve mentioned, many, many times - I don’t think it’s an awful job - I agree, let’s see the draft. 

My big contention is with the fan base for loving him for what he’s doing.

• Thumb Down 2

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You should give it a rest and stop celebrating the guy for his sole accomplishment so far of not signing good players.

I’m not really knocking him - I’m knocking the fans - I don’t hate JD and as I’ve mentioned, many, many times - I don’t think it’s an awful job - I agree, let’s see the draft. 

My big contention is with the fan base for loving him for what he’s doing.

You sound really ignorant.  Nobody is celebrating him we simply like his approach.  Anyway despite your expertise I think the majority of fans are being fair

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

You sound really ignorant.  Nobody is celebrating him we simply like his approach.  Anyway despite your expertise I think the majority of fans are being fair

Appreciate the nasty comment.  Thanks.

I was hoping we could have a debate without the name calling.  I’m done with you.  good luck.

• Thumb Down 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Appreciate the nasty comment.  Thanks.

I was hoping we could have a debate without the name calling.  I’m done with you.  good luck.

Dude stop being so sensitive.  You called me ignorant before and I did t care. I’m all for a debate.  What exactly did you want him to do this offseason I’m curious?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Prove it deals while our rookies come on board. If you earn it, you can stay... but the expectation is that across the board the rookie will outplay you and take your job. That's the plan and JD will draft all the right players in April

Agreed that’s how I see it.  

43 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Next year we’ll be back in the same spot with all these 1 year deals, doing this all over again and talking about how smart JD is for not signing good players.

Fant can be cut after 1 year but is under team control for 3 if he plays well.  McGovern, Lewis, and Van Roten all have multi year deals as well. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nope. He’ll have upgraded on a lot of those 1-year rentals via the 2020 draft.

Would you rather he sign unworthy guys to long term deals, preventing us from moving on for better players?

Apparently I hurt his feelings for calling out his bullsh*t ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

The stream of a 1-year deals is far more widely accepted because it's Douglas's first offseason.  If it was still Maccagnan and he had the same exact free agency period, a complete lack of any long-term benefit would have him getting absolutely crucified.  I don't have an issue with it per se, but it absolutely necessitates Douglas having a killer draft, otherwise they'll simply be in the same exact position again next year.  Consider that he's not only betting on his picks working out, but them working out fast.

In the end, I certainly don't hate it, but it's hardly deserving of some great praise as a brilliant strategy either (after all, there is a middle ground between massive big-money, long-term FA contracts and nothing but 1-year deals), and on its own these moves all mean very little.  It's really going to be a question of how well he complements this going forward.  He's obviously working to build through the draft, which is typically a better strategy, so now we'll just need to see how good he is at that.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Next year we’ll be back in the same spot with all these 1 year deals, doing this all over again and talking about how smart JD is for not signing good players.

Youre right, youre not a negative fan.  LOL

• Upvote 1

I posted this earlier:

the incentive structure for short term deals is performance. If the player performs as designed, it drives up the cost of u want to resign.

Then it’s pay premium to retain or face churn.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Prove it deals while our rookies come on board. If you earn it, you can stay... but the expectation is that across the board the rookie will outplay you and take your job. That's the plan and JD will draft all the right players in April

or someone else signs them next year if they prove it....

4 hours ago, FlightBoyz said:

1 year deals r great cause its a motivation tactic. Gotta Earn It?

Didn't we take Brian Poole on a 1-year deal....and then just give him another 1-year deal? lol

Personally, I like Joe D's approach.  There's no reason to give a big multi-year commitment to a lot of these guys.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Didn't we take Brian Poole on a 1-year deal....and then just give him another 1-year deal? lol

Personally, I like Joe D's approach.  There's no reason to give a big multi-year commitment to a lot of these guys.

Exactly.

Gives us flexibility.  Gives us the ability to find diamonds in the rough via free agency.  Gives us hungry players trying to prove their worth.  Gives us the ability to draft smarter and get playmakers on rookie deals.  It's a smart approach.  Doesn't mean it's going to work; just means its smart.

SAR I

• Upvote 1