Grading the WR Anderson and Perriman moves

We have to remember Perriman was a Ozzy pick. JD knows this guys history and now we know what JD was willing to keep Robbie around. Perriman is bigger more physical and has Robbie speed let’s see how he does with Hines Ward’s help. I like the signing.
Not crazy about it , but worth the risk. Hopefully he can straighten out his drop balls problem.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

I wonder what other teams had offers for Robby. To me the Panthers don't seem like a team that will maximize his talent which will hurt him on his next contract. I wonder if he chose a little bit of money over a better opportunity, he would have been a great fit for a team like the Cardinals or Kansas City and on a one year deal it could give him a chance to prove himself and earn a big contract.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, MS jets Fan said:

We have to remember Perriman was a Ozzy pick. JD knows this guys history and now we know what JD was willing to keep Robbie around. Perriman is bigger more physical and has Robbie speed let’s see how he does with Hines Ward’s help. I like the signing.
Not crazy about it , but worth the risk. Hopefully he can straighten out his drop balls problem.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He had one drop all last year.  I suppose we can shoot for 0.    But a problem???

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

He had one drop all last year.  I suppose we can shoot for 0.    But a problem???

Well his catch % was abysmal.  52.2% last season, worse over his career.  Robby, who is nobody's idea of Captain StickyFingers had a 54.2% rate last season.  Just for a ridiculous comp, Michael Thomas was at 78.1% but he is not quite human. 

My point is, was WInston really that inaccurate throwing to Perriman or did Perriman not make catches he should have.  The best comps I have are Godwin (66.1%) and Evans (55.3%).  So with only that data to go by, I'm a little concerned that he either doesn't have great hands, or he doesn't run great routes (which might explain his low drop rate but also his low catch rate).

The one other thing I can't explain is that Perriman was clocked with a 4.25 40-yard dash time at his pro day.  That's a lot faster than even Robby ran at his.  With that kind of speed, what exactly was he doing or not doing for his first 3 1/2 seasons that kept him from lighting up secondaries?

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Well his catch % was abysmal.  52.2% last season, worse over his career.  Robby, who is nobody's idea of Captain StickyFingers had a 54.2% rate last season.  Just for a ridiculous comp, Michael Thomas was at 78.1% but he is not quite human. 

My point is, was WInston really that inaccurate throwing to Perriman or did Perriman not make catches he should have.  The best comps I have are Godwin (66.1%) and Evans (55.3%).  So with only that data to go by, I'm a little concerned that he either doesn't have great hands, or he doesn't run great routes (which might explain his low drop rate but also his low catch rate).

The one other thing I can't explain is that Perriman was clocked with a 4.25 40-yard dash time at his pro day.  That's a lot faster than even Robby ran at his.  With that kind of speed, what exactly was he doing or not doing for his first 3 1/2 seasons that kept him from lighting up secondaries?

If he is running longer routes there is going to be less passing accuracy over distance.  That might impact those numbers.  Have you compared Andersons catch percentage to our slot guys numbers?

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

I wonder what other teams had offers for Robby. To me the Panthers don't seem like a team that will maximize his talent which will hurt him on his next contract. I wonder if he chose a little bit of money over a better opportunity, he would have been a great fit for a team like the Cardinals or Kansas City and on a one year deal it could give him a chance to prove himself and earn a big contract.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

My guess is that the Jets were offering him 10 guaranteed, over one or two years, and he grabbed the most money he could get.  Smart for him.

I would trade for Curtis Samuel.  

8 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Love this kids upside, $6-$8m for 1 year, I don't see how this can be a bad signing. A gamble? sure but if the worse case scenario you pay $6m at least you are rolling the dice on the upside. If you extrapolate Perriman's final 5 games, where he saw significant playing time and targets, to a 16 game schedule it would be 75 Recs, 1,600 Yards, and 15 TDs. I'm not expecting anything like that but if you can get half that, it will be a worthwhile signing.

I still think the Robby deal was reasonable and we should have beaten it but I really like Perriman for $6m over Robby for $12m.

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 12.22.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 1.10.55 AM.png

I like this little breakdown. Makes a lot of sense. 

And to all the Jet fans here saying we have to draft a WR at 11- Perriman, Crowder, Herndon, Griffin, and Bell are enough decent weapons for Sam allowing us to address our biggest need, which is still LT. And we need to do that in Round 1 at 11, assuming a player we like is there.

As much as most Jet fans want to trade down to acquire as many draft picks as possible, it may actually make sense to trade up a few spots to secure one of the top 3 OTs, OR to trade up in Rd. 2 to nab a sliding WR we really like (Higgins or Mims for example).  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, PepPep said:

And to all the Jet fans here saying we have to draft a WR at 11- Perriman, Crowder, Herndon, Griffin, and Bell are enough decent weapons for Sam allowing us to address our biggest need, which is still LT. And we need to do that in Round 1 at 11, assuming a player we like is there. I'm still convinced JD goes LT in Rd. 1 and WR in Rd. 2. 

Thanks haha I try to come at things with a level head when I make a video

LT needs to be the priority in this draft, I trust Douglas here though. If he feels he can scout OL and thinks Lamb/Jeudy is a can't miss prospect then that's the only way I'd really sign off on WR in round 1. Honestly I could see him looking to move back and add more picks!

• Upvote 2

And it’s loaded in the 2nd for ot. Think there will be a better ot at our 2nd pick then wr. I can see a lot of wr flying off the board before it gets to 48th pick. I like the depth of ot up till the 3 rd round this year. I think wr has a lot of depth too but only see around 12 elite wr and they will be gone before we pick at 48. And we desperately need a elite wr 

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

You don’t NEED to get WR in the first. This draft is loaded with bigtime WR

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rolloffjet said:

And it’s loaded in the 2nd for ot. Think there will be a better ot at our 2nd pick then wr. I can see a lot of wr flying off the board before it gets to 48th pick. I like the depth of ot up till the 3 rd round this year. I think wr has a lot of depth too but only see around 12 elite wr and they will be gone before we pick at 48. And we desperately need a elite wr 

I’m all for going WR in round 1 but I don’t think it’s something we absolutely  have to do especially if one of those big OL slide to 11.  Either way we are set up pretty well.  We can also grab two very good WR at 48 and 68 

• Upvote 1

This is a 5th year player.

We need to stop with upside - guys don't play in the league, mostly suck...have a few good games and then all of a sudden become all-pro's.

These pipedreams are why this fan base wants to fire everyone after the first sign of things not working.

Take this signing for what it is and you won't be particularly upset when you get what you paid for.

• Upvote 2

Just now, FidelioJet said:

We need to stop with upside - guys don't play in the league, mostly suck...have a few good games and then all of a sudden become all-pro's.

These pipedreams are why this fan base wants to fire everyone after the first sign of things not working.

Take this signing for what it is and you won't be particularly upset when you get what you paid for.

Again what did you want them to do?   The FA WR class wasn’t good.  They offered Robby a fair deal and he decline.  Unless you wanted to overpay him despite him being streaky.  Be a little fair 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I have no problem with this type of approach to free agency - especially when it's short term & incentive laden contracts. When you start taking this approach to early round draft picks it's when you get in trouble.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, PepPep said:

And to all the Jet fans here saying we have to draft a WR at 11- Perriman, Crowder, Herndon, Griffin, and Bell are enough decent weapons for Sam allowing us to address our biggest need, which is still LT. And we need to do that in Round 1 at 11, assuming a player we like is there. I'm still convinced JD goes LT in Rd. 1 and WR in Rd. 2. 

i agree with this.  if they didn't get a decent vet to replace robbie there would've been pressure to use the 11 pick on a wr.  they've bought themselves some time with this signing so they can afford to get a wr in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I have no problem with this type of approach to free agency - especially when it's short term & incentive laden contracts. When you start taking this approach to early round draft picks it's when you get in trouble.

Agreed.  I would like to see a bit more talent or at least some.  But I can understand the thought process.

But the fan base should really be taking this for what it is and not thinking we’ve done a whole lot to upgrade the talent.   

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He is the same age as Anderson.  We don't need him to be an all-pro.  Just duplicate his efforts last year.  Barring injury there is no reason he can't do that.  Don't make straw man arguments.  Robby was FAR from an all pro. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree.  We didn't just sign Larry Fitzgerald in his prime.  We got a guy who will put up numbers, more than likely, a little less then Anderson.  I think he can be a lower tier number 2.

We still need a number one.  We will have our pick if we decide to snag one in the 1st.  My guess is, we are not.  We are going OT.

Now, there are a LOT of things we could do with the number 11 pick.  If Joe Douglas is married to having an OT, we could slide down the board a bit since there will be people willing to bid on the services of Jeudy, Lamb, and Ruggs.  If we were to slip down the draft, even about 4-5 spots, we would still have a shot at Josh Jones or Austin Jackson.  Still good OT prospects. 

We could recoup a 2nd round pick for such a move.  That gives you the possibility of drafting a guy like Denzel Mims AND potentially someone like Isaiah WIlson or Ezra CLeveland.  Imagine being able to draft for BOTH LT and RT and get a WR before picking in the third round!

I am excited to see how Douglas plays this.  IF I see a safety or a DL picked at 11, I will personally lead the hoard of pitchfork carriers towards Jets Way. 

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

He is the same age as Anderson.  We don't need him to be an all-pro.  Just duplicate his efforts last year.  Barring injury there is no reason he can't do that.  Don't make straw man arguments.  Robby was FAR from an all pro. 

Yeah I’ve seen more praise for Robby in the past 24 hours then he had in his whole career lol.  It’s not like he was a pro bowler.  He never had a 1000 yard season.  He is a streaky deep threader.  Crowder was the more dependable receiver even though he obviously didn’t possess the speed/ deep threat Robby did.  But the Jets still made him a fair offer.  

• Sympathy 2

Believe both of their salary matches their most likely level of performance/value

Anderson a little bit over Perriman 

(B+,B,B-) range grades for both

nothing earth-shattering here

___

Best available OT round 1

Best available WR round 2

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I read his FA signing grades. They are reasoned and thoughtful. I love when teams get an OBRIEN grade for a move its pretty hysterical.

For sure. Obrien grades are hilarious and well deserved. 

2 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I think the biggest risk with Perriman is injury. Two knees and a hamstring since being drafted.  For a beanpole, Robby was pretty durable...

Yes, that’s part of why Perriman was perceived as a bust until last year

I like Perriman I just wanted to have both WRs

45 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I agree.  We didn't just sign Larry Fitzgerald in his prime.  We got a guy who will put up numbers, more than likely, a little less then Anderson.  I think he can be a lower tier number 2.

I agree with a lot of your post - but the bolded has been said so many times on this board that people might start believing.

The fact is..and it is a fact - that Robby has literally double the yardage production as  Perriman. 

You’re not getting “a little less” -  you’re getting half.

That matters, especially on a team that has no real threat anywhere else.

• Upvote 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I agree with a lot of your post - but the bolded has been said so many times on this board that people might start believing.

The fact is..and it is a fact - that Robby has literally double the yardage production as  Perriman. 

You’re not getting “a little less” -  you’re getting half.

That matters, especially on a team that has no real threat anywhere else.

It’s a two way street dude.  The Jets made an offer to Tobby but he wanted to play with a Rhule