Grading the WR Anderson and Perriman moves

50 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Yeah I’ve seen more praise for Robby in the past 24 hours then he had in his whole career lol.  It’s not like he was a pro bowler.  He never had a 1000 yard season.  He is a streaky deep threader.  Crowder was the more dependable receiver even though he obviously didn’t possess the speed/ deep threat Robby did.  But the Jets still made him a fair offer.  

Totally agree and this coming from someone who was and is a big fan of his and hopes he does well in Carolina. 

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree with a lot of your post - but the bolded has been said so many times on this board that people might start believing.

The fact is..and it is a fact - that Robby has literally double the yardage production as  Perriman. 

You’re not getting “a little less” -  you’re getting half.

That matters, especially on a team that has no real threat anywhere else.

Well, Robby was offered more, and chose to walk.  That is not on Douglas.  He had a plan B (which I would say is better than Mac in most cases), and he got the best with upside.

I am happy with the signing.  If Douglas walks out of the draft with the likes of another failed WR in a long line of them recently, THEN there will be some concern.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree with a lot of your post - but the bolded has been said so many times on this board that people might start believing.

The fact is..and it is a fact - that Robby has literally double the yardage production as  Perriman. 

You’re not getting “a little less” -  you’re getting half.

That matters, especially on a team that has no real threat anywhere else.

Robbies production is awful.  The amount of more productive WR in the NFL than Robbie is enormous.  Perriman didn't get a chance to play last year until the two starters went down.  Robbie would have been in the exact same position on TB last year, on the bench, situational WR.

The reality is we replaced a decent 3 or 4 situational WR with a decent 3 or 4 situational WR.  We needed to add a true 1 with or without Robbie.

There is an assumption that Robbie's numbers with a good O would be much better.  The flip side of that coin with a much better O Robbie might not get many chances to improve his numbers and they might very well be much lower.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ljr said:

Believe both of their salary matches their most likely level of performance/value

Anderson a little bit over Perriman 

(B+,B,B-) range grades for both

nothing earth-shattering here

___

Best available OT round 1

Best available WR round 2

this, B's all around...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Totally agree and this coming from someone who was and is a big fan of his and hopes he does well in Carolina. 

calling a spade a spade and "praise" is not the same thing. everybody here knows i like RA and root for him. lumme some UDFAs.

i have always only said he was a solid, miss very few games, take his licks,  #2/3 WR hybrid. a solid NFL caliber WR who makes every single roster in the league. with the sprinkle of being in the top half of the league as far as being a deep threat. doesnt drop the ball much at all. 

never said pro bowl or all pro. 

Talking Perriman up? Go ahead. His production so far speaks for itself, and not very loudly. That;s all. 

16 hours ago, MS jets Fan said:

We have to remember Perriman was a Ozzy pick. JD knows this guys history and now we know what JD was willing to keep Robbie around. Perriman is bigger more physical and has Robbie speed let’s see how he does with Hines Ward’s help. I like the signing.
Not crazy about it , but worth the risk. Hopefully he can straighten out his drop balls problem.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Perriman was also an Ozzy dump, so there's that.

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

calling a spade a spade and "praise" is not the same thing. everybody here knows i like RA and root for him. lumme some UDFAs.

i have always only said he was a solid, miss very few games, take his licks,  #2/3 WR hybrid. a solid NFL caliber WR who makes every single roster in the league. with the sprinkle of being in the top half of the league as far as being a deep threat. doesnt drop the ball much at all. 

never said pro bowl or all pro. 

Talking Perriman up? Go ahead. His production so far speaks for itself, and not very loudly. That;s all. 

Far enough.  this signing wasn't so much about production, at least not careerwise, but more so on his coming on as a player over the last year or so.  He might have been in Clevelands plans but once they signed OBJ, the team waived him.  Since joining the Bucs he has played very well, especially when both starting receivers got injured.   I do understand where you are coming from when you compare to Robby's 3 or 4 years with the Jets.  Part of Perrimans issues early in his career injuries; it seems that he has gotten over that as he has been pretty injury free the last couple of years I believe.   On a skill level basis, he is more well rounded than Anderson has been.  He can go over the middle, high point the ball go deep and has shown ability to hold on the ball after a good hit.  That was something Robby just was not good at.  For the money, Perriman is an excellent pick up and I truly see no significant drop off from Robbie.  The key for Perriman is staying healthy.  If he does that I think you will be pleasantly surprised.   

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Far enough.  this signing wasn't so much about production, at least not careerwise, but more so on his coming on as a player over the last year or so.  He might have been in Clevelands plans but once they signed OBJ, the team waived him.  Since joining the Bucs he has played very well, especially when both starting receivers got injured.   I do understand where you are coming from when you compare to Robby's 3 or 4 years with the Jets.  Part of Perrimans issues early in his career injuries; it seems that he has gotten over that as he has been pretty injury free the last couple of years I believe.   On a skill level basis, he is more well rounded than Anderson has been.  He can go over the middle, high point the ball go deep and has shown ability to hold on the ball after a good hit.  That was something Robby just was not good at.  For the money, Perriman is an excellent pick up and I truly see no significant drop off from Robbie.  The key for Perriman is staying healthy.  If he does that I think you will be pleasantly surprised.   

a decent enough post. saying he's more well rounded yet never caught more than 36 balls doesnt hold water. if he was more well rounded he'd have way more starts.

10% less catch % over 4 years.  injury free for last 2 years but starts only 6 played in only 24. 

he made some atheletic grabs, yes. Yards per game in his best year is less than Robby's over 4.

good that he hasnt fumbled. RA averages 1/yr while having more than 2x as many touches over 4 yrs.

imagine robby's #'s being the primary target for a QB who threw for 5k yards and 33 tds, when his 2 primary targets went down??

i like him as a #3 ok.

On 3/25/2020 at 8:31 AM, bla bla bla said:

Love this kids upside, $6-$8m for 1 year, I don't see how this can be a bad signing. A gamble? sure but if the worse case scenario you pay $6m at least you are rolling the dice on the upside. If you extrapolate Perriman's final 5 games, where he saw significant playing time and targets, to a 16 game schedule it would be 75 Recs, 1,600 Yards, and 15 TDs. I'm not expecting anything like that but if you can get half that, it will be a worthwhile signing.

I still think the Robby deal was reasonable and we should have beaten it but I really like Perriman for $6m over Robby for $12m.

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 12.22.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 1.10.55 AM.png

IMG_20200325_094420_093.jpg

I generally understand what you're saying and it does make sense...generally speaking, but I dont like it as much as you do for the very same reason. 

Perriman is a project with upside. We're paying 6 million for a player with upside potential who could possibly out perform his contract if he does reach his potential. 

We pretty much knew what Anderson was. A guy who's capable and has upside himself if we're able to allow him to play his role which is #2 and bring in or draft a guy like Jeudy/Lamb to play the other side. 

Here's my issue. Perriman has never proven to be a starting WR in this league. He's proven that he had a fantastic 5 weeks. Also, the season grades for example that you put up. Anderson's grade was produced  going up against the best Cornerback of the opponents team. How as Perriman's grade produced and against whom? It's not like he was a starting #1 or #2 given that of his 51 games he's only started 10 games. This doesnt at all take away from the potential of Perriman, but that's all it is....potential and wishful thinking, while we have a 3rd year QB who the Jets have only provided wishful thinking around him...and Robby Anderson. 

Perriman is a pick you make when you have starters and you hope that Perriman can push one of those high priced starters or a player who may be due for a payday out the door if Perriman reaches that potential. However, at this point all we have is Perriman and whatever WR we draft, basically giving Sam a Rookie and Perriman, two targets that are essentially boom or bust players. And even if the Rookie pans out, that usually isnt year 1 week 1. It could take a year or two for a WR to reach it's potential. 

The money is irrelevant. Joe Douglas has not done anything to improve Sam Darnold's chances of producing on the filed. Signing Perriman to replace Anderson only tells me that they replaced the only reliable receiver that we had for a guy who's not been a reliable target for any team he's been with. Actually, he's been let go by the Ravens after 2 season, the Browns after 1 season when they traded for OBJ and was basically going to bury Perriman on the depth chart, and now the Bucs after 1 season, even with that 5 game performance. To be fair, the Bucs just signed Brady and I dont know their cap situation, however, if I felt like Perriman was a guy who could fill in for Evans/Godwin if any of them went down or even had the potential to allow letting one of them go an easier transition, then I would think the Bucs would have paid the 6 million themselves. 

The Jets have absolutely nothing at the wideout positions....except potential and soon-to-be drafted rookie....which is more potential. 

What does Sam Darnold have? Atleast with Robby he would have atleast had chemistry. 

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I generally understand what you're saying and it does make sense...generally speaking, but I dont like it as much as you do for the very same reason. 

Perriman is a project with upside. We're paying 6 million for a player with upside potential who could possibly out perform his contract if he does reach his potential. 

We pretty much knew what Anderson was. A guy who's capable and has upside himself if we're able to allow him to play his role which is #2 and bring in or draft a guy like Jeudy/Lamb to play the other side. 

Here's my issue. Perriman has never proven to be a starting WR in this league. He's proven that he had a fantastic 5 weeks. Also, the season grades for example that you put up. Anderson's grade was produced  going up against the best Cornerback of the opponents team. How as Perriman's grade produced and against whom? It's not like he was a starting #1 or #2 given that of his 51 games he's only started 10 games. This doesnt at all take away from the potential of Perriman, but that's all it is....potential and wishful thinking, while we have a 3rd year QB who the Jets have only provided wishful thinking around him...and Robby Anderson. 

Perriman is a pick you make when you have starters and you hope that Perriman can push one of those high priced starters or a player who may be due for a payday out the door if Perriman reaches that potential. However, at this point all we have is Perriman and whatever WR we draft, basically giving Sam a Rookie and Perriman, two targets that are essentially boom or bust players. 

The money is irrelevant. Joe Douglas has not done anything to improve Sam Darnold's chances of producing on the filed. 

I like to believe that Douglas is just a sadistic freak who brought in Perriman for the sole purpose of drafting Juedy/Lamb at 11 and using Perriman as an example of how not to be a professional.

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I like to believe that Douglas is just a sadistic freak who brought in Perriman for the sole purpose of drafting Juedy/Lamb at 11 and using Perriman as an example of how not to be a professional.

I dont understand. Perriman is there as an example of how to not be a pro player? 

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Perriman is a pick you make when you have starters and you hope that Perriman can push one of those high priced starters or a player who may be due for a payday out the door if Perriman reaches that potential. However, at this point all we have is Perriman and whatever WR we draft, basically giving Sam a Rookie and Perriman, two targets that are essentially boom or bust players. And even if the Rookie pans out, that usually isnt year 1 week 1. It could take a year or two for a WR to reach it's potential. 

The money is irrelevant. Joe Douglas has not done anything to improve Sam Darnold's chances of producing on the filed. Signing Perriman to replace Anderson only tells me that they replaced the only reliable receiver that we had for a guy who's not been a reliable target for any team he's been with. Actually, he's been let go by the Ravens after 2 season, the Browns after 1 season when they traded for OBJ and was basically going to bury Perriman on the depth chart, and now the Bucs after 1 season, even with that 5 game performance. To be fair, the Bucs just signed Brady and I dont know their cap situation, however, if I felt like Perriman was a guy who could fill in for Evans/Godwin if any of them went down or even had the potential to allow letting one of them go an easier transition, then I would think the Bucs would have paid the 6 million themselves. 

The Jets have absolutely nothing at the wideout positions....except potential and so-to-be drafted rookie....which is more potential. 

What does Sam Darnold have? Atleast with Robby he would have atleast had chemistry. 

Definitely understand this point of view. I definitely would have preferred Robby on a 2 year $20m deal, I would have done $12m per year honestly on a 4 year deal.

It never felt like Robby and Sam were actually on the same page. I attributed that to the terrible OL play mostly though. That said if Perriman can just run deep and catch a ball here or there teams will have to respect that. 

I think where you are wrong is Douglas helping Sam, I think we have gotten better across 3 positions on OL already, with a high round tackle likely coming down the pipe. Sure a rookie WR may not be optimal but I think we will see better results than last year from that crew even with an unproven Perriman and a rookie.

Remember we still have Bell, Crowder, Herndon and Griffen all of which shouldn't really regress unless you think Bell is toast at this point.

My point is if we can get 80% of what Anderson is for half the cost, that's a win for me.

I believe many are underestimating the Ward effect on the receiving Corp. Anderson took a step forward after working with him. Perriman I believe is a better route runner and will produce even better results. It wasn’t all about money why Robby opted for a change of scenery. His connection with his college coach was a bigger factor than many are willing to admit. Perriman might be a diamond in the rough and if not easy to move on from. Willing to let this play out.

• Upvote 1

On 3/25/2020 at 11:22 AM, FidelioJet said:

This is a 5th year player.

We need to stop with upside - guys don't play in the league, mostly suck...have a few good games and then all of a sudden become all-pro's.

These pipedreams are why this fan base wants to fire everyone after the first sign of things not working.

Take this signing for what it is and you won't be particularly upset when you get what you paid for.

well we all might as well just quit watching football altogether then.

• Sympathy 1

On 3/25/2020 at 10:10 PM, Losmeister said:

a decent enough post. saying he's more well rounded yet never caught more than 36 balls doesnt hold water. if he was more well rounded he'd have way more starts.

10% less catch % over 4 years.  injury free for last 2 years but starts only 6 played in only 24. 

he made some atheletic grabs, yes. Yards per game in his best year is less than Robby's over 4.

good that he hasnt fumbled. RA averages 1/yr while having more than 2x as many touches over 4 yrs.

imagine robby's #'s being the primary target for a QB who threw for 5k yards and 33 tds, when his 2 primary targets went down??

i like him as a #3 ok.

Well rounded when given the opportunity.   But rather than go back and forth, we will see next season.    Basically in Perriman we have an ascending player who's best days appear to be ahead of him.   Robby is a good receiver and I think he will also get better.   He has definitely produced more then Perriman up to this point in their respective careers, however the focus is on what they do going forward.  Robby decided he wanted to go to play for his college coach and turned down a fair offer.  That is his perogative.  JD made a calculated decision that he could replace Robbys production and save money at same time.   I am sure he also had the wr rich draft in mind when considering how much to offer Anderson.    I wish Robby the best but he won't be missed as much as some around here believe.  

36 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Well rounded when given the opportunity.   But rather than go back and forth, we will see next season.    Basically in Perriman we have an ascending player who's best days appear to be ahead of him.   Robby is a good receiver and I think he will also get better.   He has definitely produced more then Perriman up to this point in their respective careers, however the focus is on what they do going forward.  Robby decided he wanted to go to play for his college coach and turned down a fair offer.  That is his perogative.  JD made a calculated decision that he could replace Robbys production and save money at same time.   I am sure he also had the wr rich draft in mind when considering how much to offer Anderson.    I wish Robby the best but he won't be missed as much as some around here believe.  

in the end, its all good. Perriman is being paid over what he has produced so far, imo.  horribly, no? he may. at Caro Ra will get paid for what he has done and also what he may....

On 3/25/2020 at 9:28 PM, JetBlue said:

My sentiments exactly. And it’s a good contract. If he underperforms the Jets are not linked to a contract. I like the move. More versatile as well and only 1 dropped ball last year. Sam is a more accurate passer than Jaimeson as well IMHO. 

• Upvote 1

I just watched Tampa Bay's last three games of last season. Perriman looked really good, and that's with Winston over/under throwing him several times. His stats should've been even better, I didn't realize just how erratic Jameis is.

His hands were great and his routes were solid. He did it all -- 50/50 balls, sideline toe drags, catching low throws, etc... When he scored there was no dancing or yelling, he looked very focused like he's done it many times before.

For those hating on him without seeing him play, get your free gameday subscription, turn off Netflix, and watch some film of our new guys.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Being born in 1985 I missed out on the likes of Maynard/Toon/Walker so it's been receivers (not many) such Keyshawn Johnson, Wayne Chrebet, Laveranues Coles, Santana Moss and Jerricho Cotchery who've been my favorite Jet receivers of All-Time and so was Robby Anderson (as would Quincy Enunwa if he weren't made of plastic).

I absolutely loved Robby Anderson as a deep threat and it's not his fault that as a WR after emerging out of nowhere during a preseason game after being undrafted that (over his next 4 years) he was forced to play alongside of and line up for the likes of...

• Two head coaches in Todd Bowles and  Adam Gase.

• 7 different starting QB's consisting of two career losing one's in Fitzpatrick/McCown, two absolute busts in Bryce Petty and Luke Falk, one of the worst backups I've ever seen in Trevor Siemian and an awful Geno Smith; before ever having an opportunity to play with Sam Darnold for only 2 years - who's had to run like a chicken with his head cutoff due to no offensive line - and had no consistent time in the pocket in order for Anderson's routes to truly develop down field. 

• 4 Offensive Coordinators during a 4 year period lol in Gailey/Morton/Bates/Loggains (Gase). 

But yet was still able to put up under less than ideal situations and surrounded by absolute crap circumstances...

42 receptions (R).
50 receptions.
52 receptions.
63 pass receptions.

587 receiving yards (R).
752 receiving yards.
779 receiving yards.
941 receiving yards.

2 TD receptions (R).
5 TD receptions.
6 TD receptions.
7 TD receptions.

Anderson was an awesome Jet and as a fan I'll miss him as I'll miss these types of electric plays on the outside out of #11...

With that said I was and am very thankful to see us immediately fill Robby's void that was left after leaving for Carolina with Breshad Perriman and here's why (below).

Because like Robby; this Perriman kid is lightning fast and has blazing track star type of acceleration and a speed demon on the outside (4.24 and 4.27 40 times @ his pro day), and he (like Robby) can stretch the field vertically and take the top off a defense while still providing Sam Darnold with an NFL deep threat.

I'm excited to see him play and what's most encouraging for me is how he ended his 2019 season during the final 5 weeks (with 3 consecutive games of 100+ receiving yards) to close out the season (momentum heading into 2020 with a fresh start and a brand new QB in Sam Darnold). 

5 receptions for 87 receiving yards and 0 TD receptions @ Jacksonville.

3 receptions for 70 receiving yards and 1 TD reception vs. Indianapolis.

5 receptions for 113 receiving yard's and 3 TD receptions @ Detroit.

7 receptions for 102 receiving yards and 0 TD receptions vs Houston.

5 receptions for 134 receiving yards and 1 TD reception vs. Atlanta.

He's an absolute speed burner who would compliment an elite route runner in Jerry Jeudy so much. Both Lamb and Ruggs could become greatness but opposite of a speed demon in Perriman an elite route runner in Jerry Jeudy would become his perfect compliment. 

• Upvote 3

I like Perriman but this guy is a low end #2 at best. High ceiling but apart from a few games in TB last year he hasn’t done a whole lot. We have to add more here maybe a WR at 11 isn’t such a bad idea 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I like Perriman but this guy is a low end #2 at best. High ceiling but apart from a few games in TB last year he hasn’t done a whole lot. We have to add more here maybe a WR at 11 isn’t such a bad idea 

I thought he did pretty well joining the Browns halfway through the season in 2018. They had their HC issues so I'm sure it wasn't the ideal learning situation.

He was plagued by injuries during his time in Baltimore and that's really the biggest issue with him in my eyes. If he can stay healthy I really think his potential is a #1 WR. I'm still looking to add WR in the top 2 rounds though.

16 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I thought he did pretty well joining the Browns halfway through the season in 2018. They had their HC issues so I'm sure it wasn't the ideal learning situation.

He was plagued by injuries during his time in Baltimore and that's really the biggest issue with him in my eyes. If he can stay healthy I really think his potential is a #1 WR. I'm still looking to add WR in the top 2 rounds though.

High ceiling, low floor. I'd feel a lot better about our WR room if we added another competent vet receiver 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SR24 said:

I think Perriman if he stays healthy can be a very solid #2 WR

• Upvote 2

On 3/25/2020 at 10:10 PM, Losmeister said:

Not on a team with Mike Evans and Chris Godwin on it.

Yes, he was headed for bust territory prior to the last half of the 2019 season.  But as long as we're only asking him to be a WR3/4 he's a great addition.  The hope is that we'll have a legit WR1 and WR2 on the team by the start of the season.

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not on a team with Mike Evans and Chris Godwin on it.

Yes, he was headed for bust territory prior to the last half of the 2019 season.  But as long as we're only asking him to be a WR3/4 he's a great addition.  The hope is that we'll have a legit WR1 and WR2 on the team by the start of the season.

far from great. decent or adequate sounds more like it to me.

On 3/25/2020 at 10:55 AM, PepPep said:

I like this little breakdown. Makes a lot of sense. 

And to all the Jet fans here saying we have to draft a WR at 11- Perriman, Crowder, Herndon, Griffin, and Bell are enough decent weapons for Sam allowing us to address our biggest need, which is still LT. And we need to do that in Round 1 at 11, assuming a player we like is there.

As much as most Jet fans want to trade down to acquire as many draft picks as possible, it may actually make sense to trade up a few spots to secure one of the top 3 OTs, OR to trade up in Rd. 2 to nab a sliding WR we really like (Higgins or Mims for example).  

I would take any ot the top 4 OL over any reciever at this point. Oir WR's are not great and there is no true 1 but we can wait another year if we have to or look to go in FA. Also we may get a #1 in round 2, he just won't  be a top 3 guy in this draft. I'm just sick of seei g Sam get run over.

• Sympathy 1