Jets apparently had a solid offer on the table

I can't help but look forward to necro-ing all the Robbylievers posts who think he deserves $14M+ and $10M will look like chump change for his "services" in a couple years.

Still like Robby as a Low WR2- High WR3 but God ****  the fanboys are hurt by this departure.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Robby was alright but if he didn't want to play here then we are better off without him. The guy is not an elite talent and can be replaced. I know alot of fans liked him and he was a great feelgood story but at the end of the day you want people who want to play for your team because those are the ones who give you their all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why would this be a leak from Anderson's camp?  If anything it makes Robby look like he took a lot less to go to the Panthers.  Have to imagine a 4-year, $40M type of offer would include more than $12M guaranteed.  

Less to do with Robby, more to do with the agent. Make the Panthers look like they got a wise investment and to save face for his poor handling of Robbys FA. 

I imagine other players are looking at this agent with caution now that he didnt get Robby the pay day he wanted. 

So spew out a bunch of positive spin about Robby wanting to play for a good coach yadda yadda, willing to take less money. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Robby was alright but if he didn't want to play here then we are better off without him. The guy is not an elite talent and can be replaced. I know alot of fans liked him and he was a great feelgood story but at the end of the day you want people who want to play for your team because those are the ones who give you their all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

I don’t think Robby didn’t want to be here

He overplayed his hand like crazy and lost $20 million.  His agent is a joke

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, docdhc said:

Agreed.  I don't he's done yet.  There are always some serviceable vets that get cut and can be productive, like Thomas last year.  Healthy tight ends will help also.  I don't think we are getting a big name though, the draft choices have to produce.

Resign Thomas

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"Robby Anderson, he's had good things in his past as a Jet, bad things in his past as a Jet," Giannotti said. "But it seemed like him and Sam were on the same page. And that's the part of this that I don't like, that here's Sam Darnold going into his third year -- and you're talking about two bumpy years to start out -- and it feels like he's starting over again. And I just don't think that's the greatest thing for a young quarterback like him."

Added Esiason: "Probably the loser, I guess -- if you wanted to say that he was a loser in all of this -- would probably be Sam Darnold because of the relationship that he had with Robby Anderson. And then the other question is now, when are OTAs going to start? Are they going to start? Are these guys going to get a chance to work out together? Are they going to get to know each other?" 

Boomer said he expects the Jets to add one or two more receivers in the draft.

That's the concern, echoed not just by a media member but former NFL QB Esiason: how losing Robbie could negatively impact Sam and thus the offense and entire team.

FWIW Mark Sanchez recently touched on this topic separately - what happened to the Jets offense after a promising 2010? And he mentioned how he'd built a rapport with Braylon Edwards, Santonio, Dustin Keller and all a sudden 2/3 were gone and Santonio was injured at some point. And having to build a new connection with different receivers, can impact progress. 

Still: great offenses (great personnel and OC) integrate new receivers seamlessly. So in a way losing Robbie is moot - it's the offense JD builds and Gase schemes that matter, not losing Robbie who is no Randy Moss. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

That's the concern, echoed not just by a media member but former NFL QB Esiason: how losing Robbie could negatively impact Sam and thus the offense and entire team.

FWIW Mark Sanchez recently touched on this topic separately - what happened to the Jets offense after a promising 2010? And he mentioned how he'd built a rapport with Braylon Edwards, Santonio, Dustin Keller and all a sudden 2/3 were gone and Santonio was injured at some point. And having to build a new connection with different receivers, can impact progress. 

Still: great offenses (great personnel and OC) integrate new receivers seamlessly. So in a way losing Robbie is moot - it's the offense JD builds and Gase schemes that matter, not losing Robbie who is no Randy Moss. 

Even if the Jets empoyed a WR trio of Jerry Rice, Randy Moss and Calvin Johnson in their prime Mark Sanchez would have found a way to miss his receivers consistently.  His opinion on roster building means absolutely nothing.  

And again:  Passes from Darnold to Robby Anderson resulted in a 47 % catch rate.  That's not chemistry or a connection that you absolutely have to keep together.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, 14 in Green said:

From a money stand point?

He's not Darrelle Revis.  The market isn't going to be flocking to "betting on himself" Robby Anderson after spending a year with Mr. 6.2 air yards per attempt Teddy Bridgewater (who I like, but is a poor fit for Anderson).  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's not Darrelle Revis.  The market isn't going to be flocking to "betting on himself" Robby Anderson after spending a year with Mr. 6.2 air yards per attempt Teddy Bridgewater (who I like, but is a poor fit for Anderson).  

So you think he won’t get better than another 2 year 20 million dollar deal after this contract?

I’m not arguing with you, I’m just trying to understand what your point is here. We’re talking in this thread about whether or not he was better off taking 2 for 20, or the supposed 4 for 40. You lost me with the 3rd team in 3 years comment.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

So you think he won’t get better than another 2 year 20 million dollar deal after this contract?

I’m not arguing with you, I’m just trying to understand what your point is here. We’re talking in this thread about whether or not he was better off taking 2 for 20, or the supposed 4 for 40. You lost me with the 3rd team in 3 years comment.

I don't think Robby Anderson will get close to 12 million dollars in a season ever again like he will in 2020.  

The 3rd team in 3 years means that Carolina will be looking to move on in 2021.  After all, this is more or less a 1-year deal he just signed.  The 2nd year is meaningless.

47 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

who cares. lets move on. We weren't gonna be a super bowl contender with him in the lineup 1-2 yrs anyway.

It's time to build a WR corps through the draft...hopefully JD gets it right.

Exactly.  I would have liked him back but I’m not gonna cry over a guy who never got 1000 yards.  I accepted him for what he was.  I’m excited for this years WR draft class so its not a big loss honestly.  Good luck to him but we move on 

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Lol at this new theory that Bridgewater can’t possibly throw a deep ball as well as let’s say... Darnold?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Lol at this new theory that Bridgewater can’t possibly throw a deep ball as well as let’s say... Darnold?

He's never had a big arm, so why is this surprising?  Bridgewater is a good fit in Carolina where Christian McCaffrey was targeted 142 times in the passing game last season.  

• Upvote 1

If true, I'm glad he turned it down.  That is too much of a financial commitment for a one dimensional #2.

Jets need to draft 2 WR and roll into the season with Crowder, Perriman, and 2 high draft picks.  Let Enunwa, Doctson, and the rest of the lower tier receivers fight it out for the last 2 spots.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't think Robby Anderson will get close to 12 million dollars in a season ever again like he will in 2020.  

The 3rd team in 3 years means that Carolina will be looking to move on in 2021.  After all, this is more or less a 1-year deal he just signed.  The 2nd year is meaningless.

Okay I think I understand what you were saying.

You’ve already decided that Carolina will be moving on from him, and he won’t have a market if he does have to leave. That’s probably not what Rhule is hoping, or what Robby thinks, but you know better.... because.

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, 14 in Green said:

Okay I think I understand what you were saying.

You’ve already decided that Carolina will be moving on from him, and he won’t have a market if he does have to leave. That’s probably not what Rhule is hoping, or what Robby thins, but you know better.... because.

It's called a prediction, and this is a message board where we make such predictions.  You think you know better every day when you talk about Baker Mayfield.  

3 hours ago, docdhc said:

So i guess we shouldn't be too upset with Douglas. He made a fair offer to Robby and then  played the hand he was dealt and signed Perriman.

Whatever I may think of Perriman, as the #3 WR, I can see how this played out...   

way back once Rhule signed anyone with a brain woulda/coulda thought that all things being equal...he may opt for the college coach and his home state...

which is what happened...   i think the Jets did themselves and RA no disservice with that offer...

fair dinkum to JD and RA...

move on...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Carolina ran, on average 67.3 offensive plays per game last year.  Granted, there's a whole new staff, but they were 6th in the NFL, with Philly averaging 68.5...so it's not like Rhule is going to come in and greatly increase that number.

McCaffery averaged 18 attempts per game with another 9 targets per game - that's 27 plays per game.

DJ Moore averaged 9 targets per game

Samuel averaged 6.5 targets per game

TEs Olsen and Thomas averaged 10 targets per game.

That's 53 of the available offensive plays.

That's not a lot of plays left to divy up between Robbie and all other skill players.

He's at best, the 4th option on this team, possibly 5th depending on how they view Ian Thomas and/or anyone replacing Oslen.

Robby may be betting on himself, but he's not going to get anywhere near the opportunities he would have seen with the Jets.

They're going to use him to move the safety over to open up the rest of the field. He'll end up with 30 rec and then get cut to save $6-$8 million next off-season.