Breer On Clowney & Jet News

KRL

11 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Because we're in the beginning of a rebuilding phase. We're not going to contend this year. We need to draft well the next few years, not sign Clowney's.

How would signing someone to a $20 million per year short term deal make sense for a team like us? 

It locks the defense into the top 10 and allows us to focus purely on offense in the draft. If we hit on offensive draft picks (OT and WR), then this is a year where we can certainly challenge for the division.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

It locks the defense into the top 10 and allows us to focus purely on offense in the draft. If we hit on offensive draft picks (OT and WR), then this is a year where we can certainly challenge for the division.

Never been a fan of Clowney.  If he drops his asking price I might be more open to it but I rather not give huge contract right now especially to him lol

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Because we're in the beginning of a rebuilding phase. We're not going to contend this year. We need to draft well the next few years, not sign Clowney's.

How would signing someone to a $20 million per year short term deal make sense for a team like us? 

This is Darnold's 3rd year. If we're really in the beginning of a rebuilding phase, then we've failed him

• Upvote 4

Nick Schook of nfl.com lists Clowney as a "fit" with the Jets:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001107542/article/nfl-free-agency-fits-for-cam-newton-jadeveon-clowney-more

NFL free agency: Fits for Cam Newton, Jadeveon Clowney, more

Print
  • 0ap3000000923721.jpg
  • By Nick Shook
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: March 25, 2020 at 04:37 p.m.
  • Updated: March 25, 2020 at 05:30 p.m.

Jadeveon Clowney, edge rusher

Team fit: New York Jets

This is barring a return to the Seahawks, of course, but Clowney hasn't gotten the market he expected, which explains why he's still available. Teams might also view him differently than his representation does. For much of this exercise, though, we're going to consider teams with somewhat-significant cap space remaining because they're most flexible to sign the top names still out there. The Jets have the second-most cap space available at publishing -- around $36 million, per Over The Cap -- meaning they have the room to entice Clowney to come to New York. Those raising the question about fit within the Jets scheme shouldn't be too concerned, as the former No. 1 overall pick has proven he can play standing up or with his hand in the dirt. Adding him to a defense that already includes C.J. Mosley and Jamal Adams would give the Jets playmakers at all three levels -- and a big offseason splash.

Just now, King P said:

This is Darnold's 3rd year. If we're really in the beginning of a rebuilding phase, then we've failed him

Well, it's a two way street, my friend. Darnold hasn't exactly set the world on fire either. I think most people thought he'd be better than he's been, so it is what it is.

Like you said, it's year 3. If he really is a FQB, it's time for him to start elevating his play and the play of those around him.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

51 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

The idea that you do 5 year rebuilds in the present day NFL is ridiculous. Coaches get fired after 1 bad year. Teams go from Super Bowl contenders to drafting top 10. The only thing that counts is THIS year.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Skeet Ulrich said:

The idea that you do 5 year rebuilds in the present day NFL is ridiculous. Coaches get fired after 1 bad year. Teams go from Super Bowl contenders to drafting top 10. The only thing that counts is THIS year.

Who said anything about 5 years besides you?

(and good luck with that THIS year thing btw) ?

• Thumb Down 1

30 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

No GM in his right mind thinks in those terms.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Because people want to make a run at a 9-7, 10-6 season and then go into a 3 year hole like after 2015

• Upvote 3

We drafted a blue chip QB in the top 5 - 3 years ago. 

We aren’t in the beginning of a rebuilding phase.

We have just been mediocre, poor resource mgmt (esp drafting) and rudderless.

With the way we ended the season and retooling and good mgmt, that could change this year. 

Any given Sunday. My 2 cents 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Stay the course JD! Get that "block of granite" at 11 to keep Sam protected then load up on weapons after that

Right. Stay the course. Just add the foundational pieces in the order of importance.  We have the QB. Get him his line starting with LT. Then give him his weapons starting with WR.  The guys we signed in FA outside of McGovern are just here to hold the fort unless they over achieve. 

Slow and Steady wins the race!  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Vader said:

We drafted a blue chip QB in the top 5 - 3 years ago. 

We aren’t in the beginning of a rebuilding phase.

We have just been mediocre, poor resource mgmt (esp drafting) and rudderless.

With the way we ended the season and retooling and good mgmt, that could change this year. 

Any given Sunday. My 2 cents 

Listen, by the time the first week of the season comes around, my heart will have convinced me we're a playoff team. My head will tell me a different story.

The Bills are a lot better than us right now. After FA the Dolphins probably are too, and they have 3 #1 picks and 2 #2's, along with nine freaking others. So the only question will be are we better than the Patriots? I'll believe that when I see it.

I want to agree with you, but I can't. I see a 4th place AFC East team. Maybe with some luck, 3rd.

Be patient, and hope we draft well the next couple of years.

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Listen, by the time the first week of the season comes around, my heart will have convinced me we're a playoff team. My head will tell me a different story.

The Bills are a lot better than us right now. After FA the Dolphins probably are too, and they have 3 #1 picks and 2 #2's, along with nine freaking others. So the only question will be are we better than the Patriots? I'll believe that when I see it.

I want to agree with you, but I can't. I see a 4th place AFC East team. Maybe with some luck, 3rd.

Be patient, and hope we draft well the next couple of years.

I get it. You feel those other teams are better. 

That would appear to be your position whether we were actually just beginning a rebuild phase or 3 years in. 

The way I see it, they need to Continue to add to the roster. Not start over. 

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

What are we sitting 40mil under the cap? Why not make a run on Clowney? It would be short term and fill a big hole in a big way 

Because he is not that good. We already signed a better version  of him named jenkins who not only play better but came for much less. Good God, Thankfully our new gm seems by all account actually good at his job and would never sign him unless the price was  way down and we as a team roster were built much diff. As another poster said Seattle  one makes sense. But for the jets between the stupid money and roster spot it would waste, no thank you. The days of macc are gone.

• Upvote 1

Well, it's a two way street, my friend. Darnold hasn't exactly set the world on fire either. I think most people thought he'd be better than he's been, so it is what it is.

Like you said, it's year 3. If he really is a FQB, it's time for him to start elevating his play and the play of those around him.

Ugh. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, GREENBEAN said:

Ugh. 

LOL.

If it makes you feel better, I think the same thing applies to Mayfield and Allen.

It's year 3. Time for them to step up. They're veterans now. They've seen just about all there is to see. If the game hasn't slowed down enough for them by now, that's a bad sign.

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

+100  The only ST deals JD should be looking at are lower cost hold the fort guys as a hedge for drafting and developing long term solutions.  Maybe bring back Thomas at WR or Beachum at OT, etc.

2 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Jets are in the 10th year of the three year rebuild

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, section314 said:

It's scary how delusional Clowney is in regard to how good he considers himself to be.

Remember that gif of him exploding that dude behind the line of scrimmage in college... I suspect he watched that a few times too many.

• Haha 1

LOL.

If it makes you feel better, I think the same thing applies to Mayfield and Allen.

It's year 3. Time for them to step up. They're veterans now. They've seen just about all there is to see. If the game hasn't slowed down enough for them by now, that's a bad sign.

:) 

look, i already know your deal in this dept. but in all seriousness how the hell can anyone compare Darnold's situation to either Mayfield's or Allens?  or Jackson's for that matter?   We're talking light years of difference between their NFL experiences.  

59 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

:) 

look, i already know your deal in this dept. but in all seriousness how the hell can anyone compare Darnold's situation to either Mayfield's or Allens?  or Jackson's for that matter?   We're talking light years of difference between their NFL experiences.  

Jackson was the perfect storm. Fantastic talent, went to a team with an excellent HC, who redesigned the offense around him. The kid took the bull by the horns and excelled.

Mayfield? Come on, be fair. He went to a team that was what? 0-30? He’s on his 4th HC and his OL was as bad as Darnold’s last year. Amid all that, he was asked to contain the egos of both Landry and OBJ. I think either one of them would eat Darnold alive. That’s not saying he didn’t regress last year. He did.

As far as Allen?He was not the prospect Darnold was. Nobody thought he was, yet now? Can’t tell them apart. His rookie year, he and Darnold could not have been on more similar teams. We were dead even going into last offseason, but their GM did everything we should’ve but didn’t do.

So yeah, last year Allen was in a better spot, while Mayfield was in far worse playing under Kitchens. They both need to be better though this year.

As for Darnold? The comment that started this off was King P saying we might waste Darnold’s first 3 years with a rebuild. I said it was a two way street, and it is.

Darnold hasn’t performed like a guy you give up 3 2nds and the 6th pick in the draft should. He’s also missed 3 games each year, once with the boot thing and then with mono. Granted, he’s had two different coaches (not 4 though) and last years OL was a mess, but just like Mayfield, Darnold didn’t exactly rise above it.

Will he have better talent around him this year? The OL will be better. People here were raving about Permian yesterday, he has Bell, Crowder two good young TEs, and will have at least one more talented rookie WR. That’s plenty. Plus he’s in his second year under Gase.

It’s time for him to show us who he is.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And? Do you think they’re not already planning ahead for Brady’s eventual retirement? Does signing any veteran player serve as evidence for you that GMs are short-sighted?

Do you think Quinn in Detroit is concerned about 3 years down the road when he and Patricia are going to be out of the door if they don't win this year?

The NFL is a year-to-year league now and the smart GMs adjust accordingly.

Do you think Quinn in Detroit is concerned about 3 years down the road when he and Patricia are going to be out of the door if they don't win this year?

The NFL is a year-to-year league now and the smart GMs adjust accordingly.

Some GMs have more urgency than others. That doesn’t mean they’re only thinking about the upcoming season.

Douglas has a 6-year contract. He, more than most GMs, is thinking ahead.

For all GMs taking over a bad roster, only concerning yourself with building a 9-7 team for the upcoming season is always a bad strategy.

22 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Mayfield? Come on, be fair. He went to a team that was what? 0-30? He’s on his 4th HC and his OL was as bad as Darnold’s last year. Amid all that, he was asked to contain the egos of both Landry and OBJ. I think either one of them would eat Darnold alive. That’s not saying he didn’t regress last year. He did.

come on 14.

I just looked it all up like a good internet debater.  Mayfield came into the league with the 2nd ranked OL in 2018.   Add to that he had Jarvis Landry, Njoku, Duke Johnson among others on that offense. Mayfield's situation was a dream scenario compared to Sam's.  Sam had the 25th overall OL during that same time their rookie year.  oh and he ended the season throwing to the likes of... wait... who was it again?  lol  

in 2019 the Browns OL was 11th/Run, 17th/pass  

Sam's? 

31/run, 30/pass

In that time the Browns added OBJ and Kareem Hunt for Baker to play with during that same time the Jets added Crowder and 11 guys on IR.  Sure Baker had coaching switches too, but he stayed in essentially the same offensive system after they let him hand pick his shiny new HC.  Adding this year's new coach is not really applicable to our friendly discussion. That's cheating! :o 

Allen had a bad OL as well for 2018 and they spent the offseason fixing it for him and getting him some good WR's for 2019 and it showed. And that defense. Damn! 

I know you like Baker and it seems like you may like Allen too. That's fine of course. You nailed Lamar's amazing situation but it is impossible to argue with any factual foundation that Sam's situation was not the worst out of the group being discussed. Far worse actually And we won't even get into the mono stuff.  The only one worse is poor little Josh Rosen. 

I just find it a difficult narrative to uphold that Sam is in some sort of pressure situation to prove it after his first two seasons of less than stellar play. Like he has been given the keys and we're wondering why he hasn't opened the door. We have to support this kid already. once he has an actual team in place for more than 5 minutes then we can start to evaluate for real whether or not he will be elite. Even if he has an OL and has to elevate the skill guys it would still be more realistic than what we've seen. 

Why am I still awake I wonder. :) 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

come on 14.

I just looked it all up like a good internet debater.  Mayfield came into the league with the 2nd ranked OL in 2018.   Add to that he had Jarvis Landry, Njoku, Duke Johnson among others on that offense. Mayfield's situation was a dream scenario compared to Sam's.  Sam had the 25th overall OL during that same time their rookie year.  oh and he ended the season throwing to the likes of... wait... who was it again?  lol  

in 2019 the Browns OL was 11th/Run, 17th/pass  

Sam's? 

31/run, 30/pass

In that time the Browns added OBJ and Kareem Hunt for Baker to play with during that same time the Jets added Crowder and 11 guys on IR.  Sure Baker had coaching switches too, but he stayed in essentially the same offensive system after they let him hand pick his shiny new HC.  Adding this year's new coach is not really applicable to our friendly discussion. That's cheating! :o 

Allen had a bad OL as well for 2018 and they spent the offseason fixing it for him and getting him some good WR's for 2019 and it showed. And that defense. Damn! 

I know you like Baker and it seems like you may like Allen too. That's fine of course. You nailed Lamar's amazing situation but it is impossible to argue with any factual foundation that Sam's situation was not the worst out of the group being discussed. Far worse actually And we won't even get into the mono stuff.  The only one worse is poor little Josh Rosen. 

I just find it a difficult narrative to uphold that Sam is in some sort of pressure situation to prove it after his first two seasons of less than stellar play. Like he has been given the keys and we're wondering why he hasn't opened the door. We have to support this kid already. once he has an actual team in place for more than 5 minutes then we can start to evaluate for real whether or not he will be elite. Even if he has an OL and has to elevate the skill guys it would still be more realistic than what we've seen. 

Why am I still awake I wonder. :) 

I’m thinking the same thing... good night buddy. Let’s get some sleep...

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1