NFL general managers recommending league push back draft: report

images.jpg.0f76c2f322457d0adab636bce6814fd1.jpghttps://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/ny-nfl-draft-coronavirus-delay-roger-goodell-general-managers-20200325-45ycesgelbhavfgtf2ivd5h4tm-story.html

The NFL’s general manager subcommittee has made a unanimous recommendation to commissioner Roger Goodell that the league should push back the NFL Draft scheduled for late April, ESPN reported Tuesday night. But the league for now plans to stick with the original April 23-25 schedule.

The report said GMs are concerned about being able to gather all appropriate information on prospects, including physicals and psychological testing.And some believe there could be a competitive disadvantage if teams in states hit hardest by the coronavirus, such as New Jersey and California, were forced to run their draft from home while other organizations worked from their facilities.The report said owners and the league nevertheless intend to go on as scheduled, though they still have time to change their minds.

Sports arenas and courts empty worldwide as coronavirus precautions are taken They already have cancelled all public events in Las Vegas, where the draft was originally supposed to take place.

Like the NFL’s free agency blitz last week, it would also be bad optics for the league to be operating business as usual while the pandemic increases in severity in the United States.

1 minute ago, Raideraholic said:

Having Mike Mayock the Raiders have an advantage knowing the small school gems,that a lot of teams might not with Pro days cancelled.   The Raiders can possible make a killing in the undrafted free agent market big time.  
So no do not push the draft back, and let’s get ready to draft.

XFL?

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Raideraholic said:

Having Mike Mayock the Raiders have an advantage knowing the small school gems,that a lot of teams might not with Pro days cancelled.   The Raiders can possible make a killing in the undrafted free agent market big time.  
So no do not push the draft back, and let’s get ready to draft.

Can he draft a coach?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

My suspicion is they want to “push it back” because they think the season is going to get canceled altogether

Seems too soon. Training camp isnt set to open for 4 months. If we aren't back to some level of normalcy by then the world is ****ed either way. 

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My suspicion is they want to “push it back” because they think the season is going to get canceled altogether

You still need a draft at some point. Either way, I need entertainment and watching this board implode after we take a safety in the 3rd round is pretty much all I look forward to these days.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

In a way this is a recipe for disaster. I understand if fully and the reasons they would want to push it back are obvious but right now we are starting to see a breaking point where people are bored and tired of sitting at home doing nothing. Any shred of entertainment helps to pass the time and calm uneasy nerves. With more and more forms of entertainment being taken from us (again for obvious reasons) the more likely we are to attempt socialization which could further worsen our situation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

For the draft, I think they should go in the other direction.  You get 4 hours for every pick.  That gives the GMs a chance to do the psychological testing then.  Stretch the draft out for a month or two. 

Or heck, scratch that, maybe they can replace the season with the draft.  Every Sunday, each team makes a pick - except for 2 teams that make their picks Monday night.  And you can only watch the picks of the teams that are in network unless you have Sunday Ticket.