Next Next Next Next Moves

Gotta give Douglas credit for following my plan pretty closely so far.  Now it starts getting a bit tricky and we need to add assumptions.

I would prefer he sign a LT vet to provide a safety net for the draft.  If he did, I think it provides him options to trade back in the first round (to mid teens) to acquire an extra day two pick.  One example if the Niners want to jump Chucky who has his eyes on a particular receiver (because he's smarter than everyone else), it may be worth a third round pick to move down two picks and pick up a day two pick.  If that happens, Douglas can hope for Andrew Thomas or Wills to be there at #13 OR can take a guy like Ruggs.   If he doesn't sign a vet LT he may be in a position to have to take Josh Jones at #11 if the big four are gone.  That's not ideal.

Let's say Douglas follows my advice and signs Peters.  A opening day starting OL of Peters, Lewis, McGovern, Van Roten and Fant/Edoga is entirely plausible.  That means the draft can look like this:

First round:  Ruggs, WR

Second Round: Peart, OT

Third Round: Jaylon Johnson, CB

Third Round: Alton Robinson, Edge

Fourth Round: Collin Johnson, WR

Let's sign Jason Peters!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Peters is what, 38? You need to have a replacement ready should he breakdown at any time. While I'm still of the belief that we should get the OT @ 11, if we went WR/OT it's not the worst thing in the world. I think the UConn kid is a reach in the 2nd round. Maybe the OT from Boise St....if he falls that far

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Gotta give Douglas credit for following my plan pretty closely so far.  Now it starts getting a bit tricky and we need to add assumptions.

I would prefer he sign a LT vet to provide a safety net for the draft.  If he did, I think it provides him options to trade back in the first round (to mid teens) to acquire an extra day two pick.  One example if the Niners want to jump Chucky who has his eyes on a particular receiver (because he's smarter than everyone else), it may be worth a third round pick to move down two picks and pick up a day two pick.  If that happens, Douglas can hope for Andrew Thomas or Wills to be there at #13 OR can take a guy like Ruggs.   If he doesn't sign a vet LT he may be in a position to have to take Josh Jones at #11 if the big four are gone.  That's not ideal.

Let's say Douglas follows my advice and signs Peters.  A opening day starting OL of Peters, Lewis, McGovern, Van Roten and Fant/Edoga is entirely plausible.  That means the draft can look like this:

First round:  Ruggs, WR

Second Round: Peart, OT

Third Round: Jaylon Johnson, CB

Third Round: Alton Robinson, Edge

Fourth Round: Collin Johnson, WR

Let's sign Jason Peters!!!

I think one of those 3rd rounders needs to be a wr, and rb should also be addressed sooner than later.  

• Upvote 2

I don’t like that mock one bit. If somehow we miss on lamb, Jeudy, and all 4 tackles, AND we can’t trade down, I’m ok with Ruggs. But if it plays out like that, we better take 2-3 legit OL prospects, not just Peart.

If we go WR round one, I’d prefer this order: WR, OL, OL, WR, CB, whatever else

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

I don’t like that mock one bit. If somehow we miss on lamb, Jeudy, and all 4 tackles, AND we can’t trade down, I’m ok with Ruggs. But if it plays out like that, we better take 2-3 legit OL prospects, not just Peart.

If we go WR round one, I’d prefer this order: WR, OL, OL, WR, CB, whatever else

Agreed.

Some combination of 2 WR and 2 OL with the first 4 picks would be awesome.  Jets have 3 UDFA, a 4th rounder, a 5th rounder and a 6th rounder in the CB stable, yet three of them are suitable starters.  Doesn't take early round CBs to perform well in Gregg Williams' defense.

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

6 picks in the 1st 5 rounds ( 8 in the first 6):

OT

WR (1), WR (2)

Edge

CB

RB

Get it done!

I see Douglass getting two OT's with the first 2 picks.  If we could get Thomas or Wirfs at 11 and then add an Ezra Cleveland who I see as a late 1st round pick at 48 he would hit a home run in this draft.  He could still get a real good Wide Out with the 68 pick. There would be players like Colin Johnson of Texas, Tyler Johnson of Minnesota, Byran Edwards of South Carolina, Donovan People-Jones of Michigan and Gabriel Davis of Central Florida should be there. Who knows players like Michael Pitman or Denzel Mimms may fall when we come up. I do doubt that though. I see them going in the 2nd round but there are so many wid outs who have 1st or 2nd round grades.   

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

I see Douglass getting two OT's with the first 2 picks.  If we could get Thomas or Wirfs at 11 and then add an Ezra Cleveland who I see as a late 1st round pick at 48 he would hit a home run in this draft.  He could still get a real good Wide Out with the 68 pick. There would be players like Colin Johnson of Texas, Tyler Johnson of Minnesota, Byran Edwards of South Carolina, Donovan People-Jones of Michigan and Gabriel Davis of Central Florida should be there. Who knows players like Michael Pitman or Denzel Mimms may fall when we come up. I do doubt that though. I see them going in the 2nd round but there are so many wid outs who have 1st or 2nd round grades.   

Interesting.

Do you think Edoga is no longer under consideration for the RT spot?

4 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Interesting.

He is going to get a shot but you need competition at that spot. The job can't be handed to him after the year he had. Yes he was a rookie so yes he gets another shot but you have to bring in more talent to these positions. If I was the GM I would bring in two top OT in the first two rounds. And because of the talent with the Wide Outs and Corner backs this could happen.  Get me Wirfs and Cleveland I would be jumping for joy !! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

We still need a kicker also.

I hope the Jets don't waste a pick on a kicker.  The majority of kickers in the league were UDFA and some of the better ones were UDFA: Tucker, Lambo, Vinatieri, Lutz, Bailey, McManus, Prater, Slye, Gould.

Jets have had some good fortunes with their 6th and 7th round picks as of late: Blessuan Austin, Fatukasi, McGuire, Enunwa, Cannon (still a wait and see but at least he still on the team).  That's not bad considering how bad their drafts were in the past.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

He is going to get a shot but you need competition at that spot. The job can't be handed to him after the year he had. Yes he was a rookie so yes he gets another shot but you have to bring in more talent to these positions. If I was the GM I would bring in two top OT in the first two rounds. And because of the talent with the Wide Outs and Corner backs this could happen.  Get me Wirfs and Cleveland I would be jumping for joy !! 

So that would mean Fant would just be a placeholder for one of those guys for this year (presumably at RT if Edoga doesn't show enough)?

20 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Please no ....we need a wr at least in round 1 or 2. Tony trying to pull a John idzik and miss out on stud wrs in a loaded wr draft and waiting too long to grab one. We need a #1 and a#2 wr. We got # 3s and 4s. All the studs will be gone by 2nd round. Give Darnold some help please

38 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Interesting.

FWIW, he was a Maccagnan pick.  He had an extended trial.  He supposedly had an MCL sprain, but from what I see, he played 100% of the snaps week 4 through week 9, 50% week 10 and 25% week 11 and was done for the year even though they didn't put him on IR for a month.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I think one of those 3rd rounders needs to be a wr, and rb should also be addressed sooner than later.  

My thoughts exactly. Did one of those draft sims last night, one that's a bit more accurate than the other ones. 

This is what I wound up with...

20200325_163735.jpg

And we're back to "we don't need no stinkin cornerbacks cause Greg Williams has a magic wand!".  Anyone can play corner here!  

If so many great receivers are coming out this year, don't we need better cornerbacks to cover them?  It will be a HUGE mistake if Douglas doesn't grab a CB in the first four rounds.

1 hour ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

What the hell did Macc sign Le'Veon Bell for, rap lyrics?

Le’Veon is a big bruising back that is also a great receiver.  I’m suggesting a complimentary fast back.  Besides we only have 2 rb under contract and need to develop some depth.   And if Bell has another mediocre year, we can cut him next year and save some dough.

4 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Le’Veon is a big bruising back that is also a great receiver.  I’m suggesting a complimentary fast back.  Besides we only have 2 rb under contract and need to develop some depth.   And if Bell has another mediocre year, we can cut him next year and save some dough.

I agree we need another RB, just not sure it's more important than a CB.

35 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

That's never really been an apt description for Le'Veon.  Just because he's slower now than his Steeler days doesn't make him a "bruiser".  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

And we're back to "we don't need no stinkin cornerbacks cause Greg Williams has a magic wand!".  Anyone can play corner here!  

If so many great receivers are coming out this year, don't we need better cornerbacks to cover them?  It will be a HUGE mistake if Douglas doesn't grab a CB in the first four rounds.

It's not that Gregg Williams has a magic wand, it's more that the Jets' weak spots from last year align with the strengths of the draft and should take priority.  The secondary, believe it or not, was middle of the pack in the NFL.  Not bad for a group that faced a few injuries throughout the year.  The core of that group is also a relatively young group.  The offensive line was one of the worst in the league and needs some young talent.  With Robby and Demaryius leaving, that's 1200+ yards of production, over 25% of their total offensive yards.  Though they signed Perriman and Doctson, this is another unit where they have struggled to find stability and production.  Luckily, the draft has a lot of talent in both areas.  Not saying there isn't the talent at CB, but the Jets need to target the side of the ball that ranked at the bottom of the league last year, not the side that was top 10 that gets an all-pro linebacker back from injury and hopefully an improvement from their 1st round d-lineman last year.

This rebuild will take more than one draft, and all the issues will not be resolved this year.  Give Darnold the tools he needs to develop and grow, then address the rest of the holes. 

2 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

He is 6'1" 225    I think thats on the big side for a RB.  How do you want to describe him?

A tweener back who likes to dance around for extra yardage rather than go north-south.

When I think of a bruiser I think of one-cut guys who push back defenders for more yardage.  That's never been Bell's style.  Just because he's big doesn't mean he inflicts pain on defenders.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A tweener back who likes to dance around for extra yardage rather than go north-south.

When I think of a bruiser I think of one-cut guys who push back defenders for more yardage.  That's never been Bell's style.  Just because he's big doesn't mean he inflicts pain on defenders.

when you inflict pain on a defender you're also receiving punishment.  That's not the recipe for a long career.  Ask Earl Campbell.

Bell just about always falls forward for an extra few yards.  Hes not a finesse back and hardly ever runs east west. His style is he makes a move to set up his blockers before hitting the hole.  But feel free to spin it as you like.

1 minute ago, Bowles Movement said:

when you inflict pain on a defender you're also receiving punishment.  That's not the recipe for a long career.  Ask Earl Campbell.

Bell just about always falls forward for an extra few yards.  Hes not a finesse back and hardly ever runs east west. His style is he makes a move to set up his blockers before hitting the hole.  But feel free to spin it as you like.

I never argued that initiating contact is smart for a RB.  I just explained that Bell's style is NOT as a bruiser.  Call him whatever you want, but that's not a word to describe him.