Next Next Next Next Moves

14 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

It's not that Gregg Williams has a magic wand, it's more that the Jets' weak spots from last year align with the strengths of the draft and should take priority.  The secondary, believe it or not, was middle of the pack in the NFL.  Not bad for a group that faced a few injuries throughout the year.  The core of that group is also a relatively young group.  The offensive line was one of the worst in the league and needs some young talent.  With Robby and Demaryius leaving, that's 1200+ yards of production, over 25% of their total offensive yards.  Though they signed Perriman and Doctson, this is another unit where they have struggled to find stability and production.  Luckily, the draft has a lot of talent in both areas.  Not saying there isn't the talent at CB, but the Jets need to target the side of the ball that ranked at the bottom of the league last year, not the side that was top 10 that gets an all-pro linebacker back from injury and hopefully an improvement from their 1st round d-lineman last year.

This rebuild will take more than one draft, and all the issues will not be resolved this year.  Give Darnold the tools he needs to develop and grow, then address the rest of the holes. 

I agree that the team needs WR and offensive weapons to help Darnold.  No argument there.  I do think however that a draft of a WR/OT in rounds 1 and 2, and another WR in round 3, along with Perriman (and Crowder, Herndon and Doctson) does that.  That would leave a third rounder available to take a CB.  Opponents are much better this year and I just think another corner is necessary.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

So that would mean Fant would just be a placeholder for one of those guys for this year (presumably at RT if Edoga doesn't show enough)?

Fant can be cut painlessly next year if he’s not working out. If he is, then the Jets have a LT on the cheap for the next three years. Still need a couple tackles because neither Fant nor Edoga is remotely close to a sure thing. I wouldn’t take OTs in the first and second rounds unless a trade (or two) netted the team an extra first or second, but without any trades an OT in the first and third would be completely reasonable. That’s how the OL can go from a weakness to a strength. 

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

I agree that the team needs WR and offensive weapons to help Darnold.  No argument there.  I do think however that a draft of a WR/OT in rounds 1 and 2, and another WR in round 3, along with Perriman (and Crowder, Herndon and Doctson) does that.  That would leave a third rounder available to take a CB.  Opponents are much better this year and I just think another corner is necessary.

What could also work in signing another FA CB and then taking a RB or EDGE in RD 3.  

When you look at Sarge's roster, those look to be the remain gaping holes (as opposed to small holes).

2 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Agree.  I just think the value will be there for a WR / OL in the 3rd round.  This draft has 1st and 2nd round talent at WR and OL that could be there in the 3rd round.  Rather take a shot at one of those players then take a 3rd round talent at CB in the 3rd round.  If one of 2nd round CBs like Terrell or Diggs were to fall, then yes they should take them.  They may be looking at guys like Biadasz, Gandy-Golden, Van Jefferson, Pittman, Edwards, Hennessey, Peart when the 3rd round come around some of which have 2nd round talent.  Not saying they should lock into any position but I suspect the talent for WR and OL in the 3rd will be better than the talent at CB at that point of the draft.

The draft will be about creating a core for the next, at least 4 years, not just what they need next year.