AFJF

Left tackle

Left tackle  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Which approach would you prefer on draft day at left tackle?

• Take best LT on the board at 11
    • Trade a 3rd for Trent Williams, draft BPA at 11
    • Trade down to middle of round 1 to add picks and take Josh Jones
    • Start Fant at LT and go BPA at 11

JD's managing of the OT position doesn't pass the smell test.  It is completely opposite of how he's handled everything else up to this point.

The amount of $ he paid Fant, a mostly unproven OT. 

Our other best OT player of Edoga not having shown enough to cement himself at either LT or RT.

There HAS to be a plan A in place to get a seasoned vet on the roster before the draft.  There has to be a plan B in place as well.  I'd think even a plan C.

---

He has not given any indication of paying trading draft capital for a "hold the fort" older player.  He got burned trying to bring the retired guy, who hadn't played in awhile, in middle of last season.  For these 2 reasons I do not believe the move for Trent Williams is on the table.

Therefore I'd say (plan A) he's waiting on Jason Peters to accept the "smaller than desired" contract on the table, if that does not happen (plan B/C) he has in place the outline for a deal with Beachum that he will move quickly on if needed. (just like the Robbie Anderson WR situation). or (Plan B/C) he has another 'semi-ok" veteran deal in place that he moves forward with. (Germain Ifedi,  Bashaud Breeland,  Daryl Williams, etc.)

His hope is for the draft to pan out in his favor and he gets 1 or more draft picks to compete against Peters/Fant/Edogo in camp.  If said draft pick does not gain the spot then move forward with them in reserve to start the season, possible mid-season move into the starting role (due to a variety of possibilities), and/or make an evaluation on whether they should move into a starters position for next season.

---

The seemingly importance of his OT choice in the draft  would lead me to believe:

He believes has several of the draft prospects who are, in his book, likely to succeed as his LT (or possibly just RT).  as long as at least 2 of those are on the board he will stay in place at 11.

He already has plans in place to trade up (even if it means overpaying draft capital) enough to ensure he gets 1 of his choices.

He will not trade down in Round 1 

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company