Jump to content
SpankyJohnson

Signed former Ravens linebacker

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

According to the interwebs, his nickname is Peanut.

I'm in.

I pray it was not given to him by his wife.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Let me guess. 1 year deal?

 

Players want the 1 year deals, not the teams. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Played next to Mosley in 2017 and 2018. Smaller ILB who covers well and is a good blitzer.

We now have 6 legit ILBs with Mosley, Williamson, Onwuasor, Hewitt, Burgess and Cashman.

Something's gotta give - quite possibly Williamson, in a cap move.

I wonder if they are going to play a 4-3, and these are the 6 linebackers on the depth chart.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should start a poll.

Which LB gets traded for a pick(s) first? Mostly or Williamson? Add Bell to that also if you want.

Because I’m on record that if JD has this go the way he wants, our 3 new OL will be the highest paid guys on the Jets next season, and that’s  only because he wants Darnold to survive the purge in one piece.

  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

I wonder if they are going to play a 4-3, and these are the 6 linebackers on the depth chart.

Interesting idea. That would make guys like Jenkins, Basham and Langi 4-3 DEs. Hmmm...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

He played weakside ILB, while Mosley was the Mike.

A smaller guy, but tough and hard-nosed. Nice signing.

it's not the size but the fight in the dog.  i don't know this guy from adam but he seems like a decent player and may fit into whatever scheme williams is planning on running.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

We should start a poll.

Which LB gets traded for a pick(s) first? Mostly or Williamson? Add Bell to that also if you want.

Because I’m on record that if JD has this go the way he wants, our 3 new OL will be the highest paid guys on the Jets next season, and that’s  only because he wants Darnold to survive the purge in one piece.

Mosley's contract makes trading him almost impossible.

So its gotta be Williamson.  Absolute most we could get for him would probably be a 5th rounder.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mosley's contract makes trading him almost impossible.

So its gotta be Williamson.  Absolute most we could get for him would probably be a 5th rounder.  

We were joking earlier about the Browns, but just off the top of my head, teams like them, and the Giants are desperate for LBs. 

Id be disappointed with a 5th, but there should be a market out there for Avery, don’t you think?

  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Bingo.

we’ve gone from Suck for Sam in ‘17 To Tank in Twenty.

In JD We Trust, because if he tears this down, and doesn’t build it back up correctly.... we’re screwed. 😆 

 

Well, in all fairness.....was there a lot to even tear down?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Players want the 1 year deals, not the teams. 

This isn't always the case.  Players want big guaranteed money.  Multi-year deals do that.....unless you're Kirk Cousins and can get full guaranteed money deals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Id be disappointed with a 5th, but there should be a market out there for Avery, don’t you think?

Coming off an ACL year who knows 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Coming off an ACL year who knows 

Maybe he could be used to trade up in the 2nd or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not want to trade Williamson without knowing if we have a reliable product behind him. Cashman and Hewitt are good but they need more time. 

Mosley and Williamson is a helluva duo. 

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Well, in all fairness.....was there a lot to even tear down?

No, there wasn’t.

After the first few days of FA, it became obvious what he’s doing, and I’m fine with it. This team needed a housecleaning, and there’s no rush to extend guys like Adams or Darnold. Make them play out there contracts, tag them if you want, then see where we are as a team and decide if we want to resign them.

The thing I think is going to be interesting though, is next offseason, when all these contracts are off the books, we’ll have a ton of cap space, and could be big spenders again, so who knows?

  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This isn't always the case.  Players want big guaranteed money.  Multi-year deals do that.....unless you're Kirk Cousins and can get full guaranteed money deals.

In this particular circumstance where the cap is expected to jump $25-$30 million next year it is in the best interest of the players to wait for their payday next year when more cash is flowing. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

We were joking earlier about the Browns, but just off the top of my head, teams like them, and the Giants are desperate for LBs. 

Id be disappointed with a 5th, but there should be a market out there for Avery, don’t you think?

The closer we get to the draft, the more GM's want to hold onto the picks they have.

Given Williamson's age (28), the fact that he hasn't played in a full year, the money the new team would have to take on, and the thought that they could easily just wait for the Jets to cut him....all of those factors could serve to drive down his value.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another solid under the radar signing.  Onwuasor has a positive chemistry playing with Mosely.  ILB, hybrid safety, situational pass rusher, STer.  5.5 (2018) and 3 sacks last year.

JD continues building this roster the right way.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

We should start a poll.

Which LB gets traded for a pick(s) first? Mostly or Williamson? Add Bell to that also if you want.

Because I’m on record that if JD has this go the way he wants, our 3 new OL will be the highest paid guys on the Jets next season, and that’s  only because he wants Darnold to survive the purge in one piece.

Can everyone please stop with the trade Mosley - he is an All-pro player who essentially was singlehandedly beating the Bills until he got hurt.  He is the best ILB in football and is going to vastly improve our defense.

Onwuasor seems like that great signing to me as he has familiarity next to Mosley and is good in coverage which is much more important for an ILB in this defense given how well we stop the run as a DL unit. 

That being said, we need to move someone because there are far too many ILBs on one team.  For me, I think the max is 5, and I believe cashman is worth another year, so that leaves Mosley, Onwuasor, Hewitt, Cashman and Burgess making Williamson (unfortunately for him as he seems like a good player and guy) the odd man out.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SAR I said:

jetsivcap.jpg

"There's no stopping us now!"

SAR I

so we are onto the conference champions now, huh?  I hope you are right!!  From your mouth to God's ears!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, choon328 said:

In this particular circumstance where the cap is expected to jump $25-$30 million next year it is in the best interest of the players to wait for their payday next year when more cash is flowing. 

Good point, I don't disagree with that.  But players who can pocket a guaranteed $15, $20, $25M usually aren't signing one-year $6M deals in an era where guys are retiring earlier than in the past and the risk of injury is still significant.  I think each guy's situation is unique.  Guys like Alex Lewis, McGovern, etc. signed 3 year deals.....I don't completely agree that Poole, Jenkins, Perriman, Desir are on one-year deals as their first choice.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BCJet said:

Can everyone please stop with the trade Mosley - he is an All-pro player who essentially was singlehandedly beating the Bills until he got hurt.  He is the best ILB in football and is going to vastly improve our defense.

Onwuasor seems like that great signing to me as he has familiarity next to Mosley and is good in coverage which is much more important for an ILB in this defense given how well we stop the run as a DL unit. 

That being said, we need to move someone because there are far too many ILBs on one team.  For me, I think the max is 5, and I believe cashman is worth another year, so that leaves Mosley, Onwuasor, Hewitt, Cashman and Burgess making Williamson (unfortunately for him as he seems like a good player and guy) the odd man out.

Nobody is saying that Mosely isn't a very good player, but he's a 30 year old player making about 19 mil per. That's not who you want on a rebuilding team. However as @Jetsfan80 just explained, we're not going to be able to move him this year because of his contract.

So don't worry. He'll be a Jet this year.

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David Harris said:

“His struggles in coverage and against the run led the Ravens to sign Bynes and Fort, and after playing 284 defensive snaps over the first five games, Onwuasor got just 190 over the next nine. He finished the season rated the No. 73 linebacker by Pro Football Focus.“

 

That’s about right..

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Another one year, let's go comp picks.

Can i explain that to me pls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

“His struggles in coverage and against the run led the Ravens to sign Bynes and Fort, and after playing 284 defensive snaps over the first five games, Onwuasor got just 190 over the next nine. He finished the season rated the No. 73 linebacker by Pro Football Focus.“

 

That’s about right..

 

Context matters.  He struggled as an ILB1.  As an ILB2 he was fine.  With our depth at ILB, he won't ever be asked to be an ILB1 here.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Context matters.  He struggled as an ILB1.  As an ILB2 he was fine.  With our depth at ILB, he won't ever be asked to be an ILB1 here.  

This is Fidelio everything is a bad move even it’s it’s more for depth 😂 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Context matters.  He struggled as an ILB1.  As an ILB2 he was fine.  With our depth at ILB, he won't ever be asked to be an ILB1 here.  

Again, I’m sure he’s a nice piece, a fine role player.  Seems to be a hard worker and good teammate.

But let’s also be clear about what we have here - this isn’t a diamond in the ruff or some type of guy that’s going to take the place of Adams or Mosley.  

He’s a below average role player here for depth.  If we all accept that then you won’t get an argument from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Again, I’m sure he’s a nice piece, a fine role player.  Seems to be a hard worker and good teammate.

But let’s also be clear about what we have here - this isn’t a diamond in the ruff or some type of guy that’s going to take the place of Adam’s or Mosley.  

He’s a below average role player here for depth.  If we all except that then you won’t get an argument from me.

I think he's the next Ray Lewis.

No, but really, he's a nice little depth signing.  Agreed.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

“His struggles in coverage and against the run led the Ravens to sign Bynes and Fort, and after playing 284 defensive snaps over the first five games, Onwuasor got just 190 over the next nine. He finished the season rated the No. 73 linebacker by Pro Football Focus.“

 

That’s about right..

Special Teams guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

 

Looks like a typical Raven pick... under the radar, hard hitting & a nose for the football... I LIke it... Especially that he & Mosely have played together... I think Greg Williams is happy with this.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Played next to Mosley in 2017 and 2018. Smaller ILB who covers well and is a good blitzer.

We now have 6 legit ILBs with Mosley, Williamson, Onwuasor, Hewitt, Burgess and Cashman.

Something's gotta give - quite possibly Williamson, in a cap move.

yea its called injuries. can never have enough depth, good signing.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I wonder if there is a question about Cashman's availability this year.

Cashman's a walking mash unit... I like him but he's not durable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Darren Lee is pissed 😠 

He just won a Super Bowl.... I don't think he's too upset. 😏

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...