GeorgeJetson

Doomsday Scenario: Top 4 Offensive Tackles are gone

18 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

If 3 of the 4 top OT's are off the board after Arizona's #8 pick AND JD likes the remaining OT then I'd hope JD trades up with the Jaguars at #9 jumping over the Browns at #10. I'd give our second 3rd and a 4th.

If JD thinks the remaining OT isn't worth a trade up or Jacksonville asks too much then JD can look for a trade down, but that requires another team willing to give fair value. If no trade options are available then take the best WR.

If they really fall in love with one tackle (JEDRICK WILLS!) then I'm game to move up at that cost. 

We can still get WR's in the second and third rounds. 

Conversely, I'm also open to trading down, targeting one of the second tier tackles/WR and using the second rounder on whichever of those two we don't pick in the first - whether it be Mims after the trade down and Peart in round 2, or Josh Johnson on the trade down and dealers choice of Jefferson/Aiuyuk/Shenault or whomever. 

I'm just not as 'locked-in' to having to take one of CeeDee, Jeudy or Ruggs. I'm fine with it, but my absolute #1 priority is adding another offensive tackle. If the scouting department truly believes they have guys they like in round 2/3 @ OT, then I'm cool with WR @ 11. But again, I'm also cool trading up if they've identified a premium, future pro bowler. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, ljr said:

what will your status of fandom for him be in either of these situations?

1 - He trades our last 3rd round pick to Jacksonville and moves in front of Cleveland to pick the 4th of those OT's?

2 - He trades back to 15-20ish, passes on those 3 WR's and picks Jones or another OT instead ?

You're not asking me, but I like the question;

1 - If it lands us Jedrick Wills, I'd be ecstatic. That's the tackle I want. If it's another tackle, I'd say wow, let's see how it goes, but at least they went after the player they wanted in the position we desperately need to upgrade.

2- I'd be happy with that too, to be honest. Not as happy as the J Wills scenario, but I'm cool with picking up another pick, especially in a WR deep draft, and taking a more 'developmental' tackle a little bit later in the first. A guy like Josh Johnson might not start until week 8, but my whole philosophy in this draft is this:

It's deep at WR, and we need to prioritize giving Darnold a clean pocket more than anything else.

For me, if I'm the GM, this might be the year to move up for the tackle you want using picks from next year's draft, keep your second and two thirds to land at least two WR's. That scenario might cost us a second rounder next year. But think about this;

Round 1: Trading up for Jedrick Wills (at the cost of our #2 next year)

Round 2: Justin Jefferson WR LSU

Round 3a: Michael Pittman WR USC

Round 3b: Bradlee Anae Edge Utah

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Trade down? Who is trading up to 11? And for what? Everybody assumes trading down is a given. And if they trade down, who,says Jones is still on the board when the Jets pick? It’s never that simple or easy.

Lotta talk in Denver about landing one of those top 3 WR's. With the Raiders and 49ers behind us also needing receivers, I could see the Broncos making a move. 

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

WHat's worth more..     that extra 0.1 sec?  or WR getting YAC

I think WR getting YAC is Sams best bet to success

I hear ya - might be more time 0.1 seconds, though. 

I just think Sam taking less hits and having more time is more important than landing a first round WR; there are good WR’s round 2, not so much with tackles though. 

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company