• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

Based on these cap figures the team has 36 million in space:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

And that's with Williamson (6 million) and Winters (7 million) still on
the roster.  So Douglas actually has 50 million in cap room at his 
disposal.  I know I've thought about Clowney on a one year deal but if
it isn't him what will Douglas do?

I don’t think that cap number has any of our deals besides Fant factored into it. I’m pretty sure we’re low on cap space 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I don’t think that cap number has any of our deals besides Fant factored into it. I’m pretty sure we’re low on cap space 

Agreed.  There are a bunch of signings where terms have not yet been released so cap figures are not current.  Mcgovern, Van Rotern, Desir, Perriman, Onuwasor, plus some of the re-signings.  On the other hand, Trumaine Johnson's full salary is still in our numbers - as a June 1 cut, his $11 mil stays on our cap until then.

We likely have enough cap space to make a move or two, but not as much as is being reported.

• Upvote 3

Lewis, Poole, Fant, and exercising the Griffin option are in there.

McGovern, Van Roten, Jenkins, Desir, Perriman,  Onwuasor, Burgess, Christian, Jackson and Maulet are not.

Trumaine Johnson cut is not reflected either.

We don’t really have up to date cap figures from OTC at this point. Not sure if a lot of these deals are official either without the ability to do physicals, etc - not sure what that means for getting info out there for Jason to use.

23 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I don’t think it makes sense to make a BIG move for the sake of it.  There isn’t really anyone on the market I would spend a lot of money on right now especially Clowney 

Agreed. No big moves this year. Keep acquiring solid vets to fill many holes and leave cap space for cuts/value trades that will surely happen after the draft. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

He's going to extend Adams, give him a good chunk of money this year so we can take it on the chin in a year in which our best outcome is likely a wild card game and work for 2021 and beyond.

This is what I came in here to say. His most likely "big move," will be a big payday for Jamal Adams, unfortunately. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

39 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  There are a bunch of signings where terms have not yet been released so cap figures are not current.  Mcgovern, Van Rotern, Desir, Perriman, Onuwasor, plus some of the re-signings.  On the other hand, Trumaine Johnson's full salary is still in our numbers - as a June 1 cut, his $11 mil stays on our cap until then.

We likely have enough cap space to make a move or two, but not as much as is being reported.

I thought that $11M wasn't available to the team until June 1st

4 minutes ago, slats said:

This is what I came in here to say. His most likely "big move," will be a big payday for Jamal Adams, unfortunately. 

I’m not sold that would be the big move.  I think the jets are still very much in play for williams or even peters.  This is why:  i think douglas wants to draft lamb or ruggs, then grab an OT like peart or jackson in the 2nd.  These guys would need more time to develop, so he could sign peters and not have to start this guy from week 1.  

I think douglas wants an elite wr prospect as his first ever draft pick.  I’m not feeling it for Jeudy, i think it’s lamb or ruggs at 11.  This plays perfectly into getting another experienced OT for at least 1 year Or until the draft pick is ready.  I can see a draft like ruggs/peart/olb with the jets pick in the 3rd addressing wr or OL, probably OL again.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

He's going to extend Adams, give him a good chunk of money this year so we can take it on the chin in a year in which our best outcome is likely a wild card game and work for 2021 and beyond.

I don't think he is.  IMO he is going to let the Prez's contract just play out.  2 more years, and maybe a relatively  cheap franchize tag.  Prez won't be happy

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I don't think he is.  IMO he is going to let the Prez's contract just play out.  2 more years, and maybe a relatively  cheap franchize tag.  Prez won't be happy

I agree.  I don’t think extending Adams and making him the highest paid, happiest safety is one of douglas’ top 5 priorities right now.

• Upvote 4

I think JD holds on to most of that $$$.  Continues with under the radar roster additions.  Then focuses on the draft with his 8 picks on OT-WR-CB-Edge-RB (?).  

JD may do what Parcels did with his first NYJ draft.  And that is trade down a few times and accumulate  more picks to stock the team with young talent.  Setting up the team for long term success.

Of course JD has to hit more doubles-to-homers, rather then just singles and strikeouts, in this draft.

Go get it done JD!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

I’m not sold that would be the big move.  I think the jets are still very much in play for williams or even peters.  This is why:  i think douglas wants to draft lamb or ruggs, then grab an OT like peart or jackson in the 2nd.  These guys would need more time to develop, so he could sign peters and not have to start this guy from week 1.  

I think douglas wants an elite wr prospect as his first ever draft pick.  I’m not feeling it for Jeudy, i think it’s lamb or ruggs at 11.  This plays perfectly into getting another experienced OT for at least 1 year Or until the draft pick is ready.  I can see a draft like ruggs/peart/olb with the jets pick in the 3rd addressing wr or OL, probably OL again.  

I want absolutely nothing to do with Trent Williams. Giving up a pick and a big contract for a guy who sat out all of last season? That is just not for me. I hope it's not for Joe Douglas, either, and he seems tight enough that it probably isn't. 

I don't think signing a 38-year-old Peters would be a "big move." I'd expect JD to pay less for him than what he paid for Ryan Kalil. And that would be a move I could get behind. More than drafting a WR at #11, I think that would set him up nicely to trade down a few spots and take a guy like Josh Jones - and even then, taking Matt Peart in the second would still make sense. Don't think we'd have the same crying about two tackles as we had about two safeties around here. Hopefully that trade would net an extra second rounder to spend on a WR. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

This would be my preference, but the fact that Joe Douglas has openly talked about making Jamal a Jet for life in the first year that he's eligible for an extension suggests otherwise to me. If he planned to let contract play out, he coulda/woulda said something like, "Jamal's under contract and I have some other pressing needs right now." 

15 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I thought that $11M wasn't available to the team until June 1st

Correct, but that is what Lith said; the $11m stays against the cap until June 1, when Johnson is officially cut. Then we get the $11m back, which will be used to sign the rookie class. Good move because it means JD doesn't have to save cap money for rookie signings; Johnson did that for us by sucking so bad...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

This would be my preference, but the fact that Joe Douglas has openly talked about making Jamal a Jet for life in the first year that he's eligible for an extension suggests otherwise to me. If he planned to let contract play out, he coulda/woulda said something like, "Jamal's under contract and I have some other pressing needs right now." 

I doubt he would say that. That would piss Jamal off to no end. Remember what happened when it got out that JD took a phone call at the trade deadline? Could you imagine the s#!t storm if he said publicly that he wasn't thinking about Jamal's future? Remember, this is the guy who thinks he ranks with Brady and company.

Personally, I think if JD gets a good offer, he might trade Adams, and if he got a 1 and a 2 this year, I wouldn't mind it at all. Two firsts and two seconds this year could fix a whole lot more serious issues than safety. Six picks in the first 3 rounds and we have two top tackles, two top receivers, an edge rusher, and a corner. Works for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, viffer said:

I doubt he would say that. That would piss Jamal off to no end. Remember what happened when it got out that JD took a phone call at the trade deadline? Could you imagine the s#!t storm if he said publicly that he wasn't thinking about Jamal's future? Remember, this is the guy who thinks he ranks with Brady and company.

Personally, I think if JD gets a good offer, he might trade Adams, and if he got a 1 and a 2 this year, I wouldn't mind it at all. Two firsts and two seconds this year could fix a whole lot more serious issues than safety. Six picks in the first 3 rounds and we have two top tackles, two top receivers, an edge rusher, and a corner. Works for me.

I hope Joe Douglas doesn't give a **** what Jamal Adams thinks. And even so, putting his extension on the back burner isn't that big an insult. Adams should know enough about the NFL by this point that it's a business, and JD does have more pressing needs. 

And I'd love it if all this Jamal a Jet for life talk is a smokescreen while he listens to offers. If someone offered a first & second rounder, he'd already be gone. I doubt that he's heard anything better than a mid/late first. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I hope Joe Douglas doesn't give a **** what Jamal Adams thinks. And even so, putting his extension on the back burner isn't that big an insult. Adams should know enough about the NFL by this point that it's a business, and JD does have more pressing needs. 

And I'd love it if all this Jamal a Jet for life talk is a smokescreen while he listens to offers. If someone offered a first & second rounder, he'd already be gone. I doubt that he's heard anything better than a mid/late first. 

Maybe, but I'm just saying if he got such an offer I would be happy if he took it. And didn't Dallas allegedly offer a first at the trade deadline, but JD wanted more? I could be mistaken.

All I'm saying is that JD probably doesn't want to piss Adams off. It's not a question of whether he gives a damn what Adams thinks; he is smart enough to not want to create an issue. Thinking it is one thing; saying it publicly is another.

6 minutes ago, viffer said:

All I'm saying is that JD probably doesn't want to piss Adams off.

I agree. Douglas seemed pretty annoyed at having to answer questions about Adams during the whole deadline imbroglio. I’d doubt he’s want to bring that foolishness back around by giving Jamal something new to whine about

Any big move (over 10 million) should be reserved for a long term deal. Skip Clowney if its a one year deal. We’re not winning it this year anyway. 

Come training camp (whenever that will be) and trade deadline time, there’s always a couple big names looking for a trade/new deal. Save the money for that.

If we don’t trade for Trent (which I’m not sure why not) then we should sign Peters for 1-2 years. 

Add another WR. Neither moves will break the bank.

Give Jamal his new deal, which will be at a discount if we do it now rather than next season or after.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I don't believe Douglas is going to consistently spend to the limit every year.  Having flexibility to make moves year to year is going to be paramount to him.  Also keeping our own, so that means contract extensions coming up for Adams, and Darnold sooner probably rather than later.  If a great trade value arises and its for someone like an OBJ who has a large cap number it also gives Douglas the opportunity to attack that since he has that cushion. Spending haphazardly is how you get locked into bad deals and miss out on good opportunities to add talent later on. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I really hope he signs Peters to avoid the pressure of having to take a tackle at #11.  It could even lead to Lamb/Ruggs AND Jalen Reagor (third round).

I'm hoping JD adds a hold the fort OT like Peters or Beachum on a ST deal and re-ups with a guy like DT also on a 1-year so he can enter the draft with max flexibility.  Right now he'd be dependent on Edoga if he took a WR and he'd be dependent on Enunwa getting healthy or Josh Doctson if he went OT.