There's Room For A Big Move

KRL

Well, it's obvious JD played FA just the same as Mac would have. You get what you pay in OL. JD PAID bargain prices so the Jets will get average to slightly below average OL play. Now, his long term could be to use all of those newly signed OL as stopgaps. Just to cover play while big time draft picks are made and developed? If that's the case then I love the plan. But I don't think it is. JD THINKS this is an OL that you can win in December with, and that's totally absurd. The new additions make the team BETTER in 2020 but by no means will this be the OL that guides the Jets to the SB.

5 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Well, it's obvious JD played FA just the same as Mac would have. You get what you pay in OL. JD PAID bargain prices so the Jets will get average to slightly below average OL play. Now, his long term could be to use all of those newly signed OL as stopgaps. Just to cover play while big time draft picks are made and developed? If that's the case then I love the plan. But I don't think it is. JD THINKS this is an OL that you can win in December with, and that's totally absurd. The new additions make the team BETTER in 2020 but by no means will this be the OL that guides the Jets to the SB.

Dont agree with this take at all. All the signings are scheme fits for the Jets. Our OL will be dramatically better than last year and could be very good after the draft.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I'm an OL first guy but in most of the mock drafts I'm doing most of the best WRs are going before our second pick.

That has not been the trend the past few years.

All the recent great WR's get drafted in the 2nd round (M. Thomas, D. Adams, JuJu, A.J. Brown, Deebo....)

WR is a fairly easy position to found. Not the case with O-line.

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Dont agree with this take at all. All the signings are scheme fits for the Jets. Our OL will be dramatically better than last year and could be very good after the draft.

Without the draft being taken into consideration, the additions JD equate to a slightly below average OL. Not even close to what a standard for excellence would look like. OL circa 2009, Ferguson, Faneca, Mangold, Moore, Woody?? That was the standard for excellence with the Jets and this current group won't even touch the 2009 group. They'll SUCK in comparison. You can talk about scheme nonsense until you're blue in the face, eventually what it all boils down to is one on one which man wins the pushing match. This OL will lose in that scenario. You pay for what you get in OL. JD paid to cheapo prices and that's exactly what he's going to get in return.

I think that Douglas believes Fant can be our starting LT which is why he gave him close to 10 million dollars.  If he signs Peters to a 2 year contract with no guaranteed money in year 2 that will give him a LT for this year if Fant doesn’t work out.  Peters has already made it clear that he would be willing to move to RT and he could compete there with Edoga.  Then he can draft a tackle at 11 if one falls that he likes or go with one of the second tier tackles in round 2.  This gives him flexibility in round one without paying big money for a backup tackle plan.

23 hours ago, KRL said:

Based on these cap figures the team has 36 million in space:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

And that's with Williamson (6 million) and Winters (7 million) still on
the roster.  So Douglas actually has 50 million in cap room at his 
disposal.  I know I've thought about Clowney on a one year deal but if
it isn't him what will Douglas do?

What I will say is that I am amazed at how well JD has managed the cap situation thus far. Sure we didn't grab the marquee guys, but it could be argued that he has done just as well with the FA's we've acquired.  If these guys play well this will have been one of the smartest offseason's we've ever seen.

So with the $36 mil we have left I would take way $10 mil for the rooks which leaves us with $26. We can cut Bellamy for another $2 mil as well if needed. But let's say we cut no one.   I would go for Peters at left tackle for approximately $10 mil because we really only have 2 tackles on the roster currently after losing Shell and Qvale. We will undoubtedly bring in a rookie, but we still need another.

I'd try really hard for Demarcus Robinson or Prince Amukamara. Either one of them would be under the $10 mil range if acquired i'd think.

We still have the rest of the roster to fill out and we may need to cut Winters at some point to get the additional cap help for that, but these moves leave us $6 mil to play with and I would say we could do a lot with that.

17 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

I played Oline in HS and until I got in there our 1st string QB got his ribs broken so badly he couldn't play anymore. So, you see I am like many others more towards the overkill side of Oline than the extra coverage in the secondary, though I would like both. Plus our D was fairly solid at the end of last season while the Oline outside of Beachem and Lewis and maybe Harrison were killing us since the whole right side was just non-functional.

Have you contacted Douglas yet, or as are you waiting for the quarantine to end? 

On 3/26/2020 at 8:33 AM, KRL said:

Based on these cap figures the team has 36 million in space:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

And that's with Williamson (6 million) and Winters (7 million) still on
the roster.  So Douglas actually has 50 million in cap room at his 
disposal.  I know I've thought about Clowney on a one year deal but if
it isn't him what will Douglas do?

Front load a Jamal Adams contract extension?

• Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Without the draft being taken into consideration, the additions JD equate to a slightly below average OL. Not even close to what a standard for excellence would look like. OL circa 2009, Ferguson, Faneca, Mangold, Moore, Woody?? That was the standard for excellence with the Jets and this current group won't even touch the 2009 group. They'll SUCK in comparison. You can talk about scheme nonsense until you're blue in the face, eventually what it all boils down to is one on one which man wins the pushing match. This OL will lose in that scenario. You pay for what you get in OL. JD paid to cheapo prices and that's exactly what he's going to get in return.

Rebuilding the OL is a multi year process. I think McGovern and Van Roten are excellent signings. I think Fant has tremendous upside. I think the three of them along with the Alex Lewis re-signing were better moves than using draft capital on someone like Williams, and Conklin was a super risky move. Also note that the Jets are looking for players that are better at pass blocking than run blocking. The big names were more mauler run blockers and not the zone athletic guys we are looking for. We will also draft OL in the draft. I understand wanting to have our OL back but the reality is that if we can get our OL to just a little bit above average that will be huge for Darnold. I really like our approach.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Still wanting/needing a OT signing. Can't have our season/Sam dependent on Fant and rookie. 

I do think another OL move is coming and the jets are going to draft ruggs.  I do think new gms like to make a statement with their first ever draft pick and since it’s not going to be a qb i think ruggs is the type of player who douglas wants to define his tenure.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

I do think another OL move is coming and the jets are going to draft ruggs.  I do think new gms like to make a statement with their first ever draft pick and since it’s not going to be a qb i think ruggs is the type of player who douglas wants to define his tenure.

Ruggs is likely to either be the best playmaker in the NFL or a completely underwhelming fast guy that does not translate well to the NFL depending on who you listen to. I did see on Twitter that he had one of the broadest route trees in all of CFB and tops among the top draft picks which maybe bodes well for hin.