the jets will have the worst offense in the nfl

kmnj

55 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

I think people also forget that this was Darnold's first year in the offense.  It took them (Darnold and Gase) a mid-year meeting to get on the same page.  Once they did, we saw an improvement in the offense.  This offseason, he will not have to learn a new offense and will teach the new players, rather than veteran players that knew Gase's system trying to help Darnold.  Darnold's understanding and confidence in the system should rise, like we saw at the ending of the season which should lead to an uptick in production. 

It will also be the defense's second year in that system - and they might actually not suffer as many injuries to key players as last year, especially in the LB group. Mosely was a pivotal player lost for the whole season.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

There are glass half full and glass half empty guys.

Youre a half empty guy.   Your posts are bummers. 

Nothing personal, you re probably a great guy.   You think you’re being real and we re all homers.   We all think we re being real too.  

No one has said we are a top ten offense.   We just think we aren’t the WORST!

I hear ya, but we were literally the worst last year - and I don’t believe we’ve gotten any better yet.  I agree, there is still plenty of time.

With that said, I will try better to not be such a downer!

i am still super high on Sam - I see things in him that can carry us to a Super Bowl - I really do. 

He has every attribute I see in a great NFL QB.  Give him a legitimate weapon or two, a RB to keep teams honest and a reasonable Oline and this can be a team that is a year-in and year-out contender.  That’s all I really want - every year, have a legitimate shot to win it.  Not once a decade get in on a wildcard.  You have to really try to be that bad.

I guess I’m just frustrated by the fact that we let our only legitimate weapon walk over $4mm, let the top Tackle in FA walk over $3mm and paid $10mm to a back-up rated 57th in the league. 

That string of events really got me PO’d - and I have been venting all the way through.   

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

I think people also forget that this was Darnold's first year in the offense.  It took them (Darnold and Gase) a mid-year meeting to get on the same page.  Once they did, we saw an improvement in the offense.  This offseason, he will not have to learn a new offense and will teach the new players, rather than veteran players that knew Gase's system trying to help Darnold.  Darnold's understanding and confidence in the system should rise, like we saw at the ending of the season which should lead to an uptick in production. 

I think people forget gase has not produced a top offense since he had a hall of fame qb named Manning changing out of gase's  plays. What has gase done to produce any sort of Optimism? simple answer he has not done anything on his own. Is it his yr maybe but then again history sends a different message

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's been a real joy, I tell ya.  

You should lighten up too.

It’s just a message board!

To be honest though - this all started with the hiring of Gase.  That still pisses me off beyond explanation.  

I used to be a very positive fan-that was the beginning of this for me.

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Well there is this little thing called the NFL Draft; you may have heard of it.  Rumor has it that teams can really improve themselves via this process.   

They for sure can.  But as of right now, the worst offense in the NFL from last season has not improved.  

Sure, it’s possible we can get better but the other teams get a chance to draft too.

9 hours ago, Melly-Mel said:

As currently i dont see that.  After the draft i cant imagine they would be worse than currently so i am not seeing them as the worst o in the league.  

Nah the worst O in the league will be the Panthers with no Cam Newton and no Rivera. Way to go Robby!

10 hours ago, kmnj said:

the jets will have the worst offense in the league this upcoming season unless Sam becomes the first qb that can block defensive players with one hand while holding the ball in the other then he will have to throw the ball really high and far and then run down and catch it himself. Thankfully for Sam he has a genius coach in Gase that can scheme for such a system. Gase is a pioneer like Bill Walsh but better.

The Jets will have the worst offensive roster in the NFL and the worst coach coaching them-what could possibly go wrong?

On the plus side this will be the last season we get to see or hear Gase on the jets sideline.

I feel bad for Sam-it is him and bell and that is it and his coach does not know how to use bell properly

I know I should not be so negative the Jets have the draft to build the team with . I mean I understand they have not had a good draft in years but they will some how find a top tackle and three stud wrs in the draft and a guard or two as well.

I disagree with this because the OL will probably be better. Not much better, but better than the train wreck the Jets had last season. We also have the draft to go through. That could make this team much better than right now? Make no mistake, the Jets will still be a bad team. 8-8? 9-7? Is probably their record right now. The OL is only mildly improved and the rest of the offense is mostly garbage. But the worst offense? I think that's a little presumptive and over the top.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, rammagen said:

I think people forget gase has not produced a top offense since he had a hall of fame qb named Manning changing out of gase's  plays. What has gase done to produce any sort of Optimism? simple answer he has not done anything on his own. Is it his yr maybe but then again history sends a different message

I guess my optimism is more toward Darnold than it is Gase.  Gase can call the plays but it's up to the 11 players on the field to execute and up to Darnold to make the right reads, right decisions and execute.  All things that will improve with more experience in the offense.  IMHO I believe Darnold has a bigger impact on the production of the offense than Gase does.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GeorgeJetson said:

Mitch Trubisky had a top 3 QBR in 2018. How did that work out for him?

The advanced stats will never be kind to Sam so long as Gase is his HC (look at Tannehills QBR under Gase).

Statistically Sams numbers would have been a lot better if not for the New England game which was a historically bad performance. 

tanny and trubisky out performed their norm in a single year...

sam has yets to have evene a middle of the road year...   thats all

1 hour ago, rammagen said:

5B7F72F9-03CB-46AC-9E10-AB76CFC74423.jpeg.cb0ddc3743cf7445d7e70c03e6270100.jpeg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, kmnj said:

I have gone to over 300 games if you include road trips-how many have you been to? My family had seasons tickets since the teams inception what about you? how many psls did you buy? I have been patient for 40+ years and there is zero reason for optimism on offense-our roster is bad and we watched others in our own division get better while we did next to nothing. once again  We had a bottom tier team on offense last year and it will be worse this year.  We had a nice defense and we have a good dc-our team will win or lose based on them. The Jets have given Sam zero weapons and it is a disgrace. 

I've been to plenty of games, not just in NJ but around the US as well.  I have no idea where you got the idea that I was saying you were not a loyal Jets fan, I never said that yet your response back was all about how many games you were at and that your family had PSL's.  Honestly, I don't care, more power to you, and it doesn't have a damn thing to do with the thread.  The subject of your thread says it all.  You must be psychic because this years league didn't even start yet and you're already saying how bad the offense is going to be.  Deal with the fact that you jumped the gun and you started a totally illegitimate thread. 

• Sympathy 2

13 hours ago, kmnj said:

the jets will have the worst offense in the league this upcoming season unless Sam becomes the first qb that can block defensive players with one hand while holding the ball in the other then he will have to throw the ball really high and far and then run down and catch it himself. Thankfully for Sam he has a genius coach in Gase that can scheme for such a system. Gase is a pioneer like Bill Walsh but better.

The Jets will have the worst offensive roster in the NFL and the worst coach coaching them-what could possibly go wrong?

On the plus side this will be the last season we get to see or hear Gase on the jets sideline.

I feel bad for Sam-it is him and bell and that is it and his coach does not know how to use bell properly

I know I should not be so negative the Jets have the draft to build the team with . I mean I understand they have not had a good draft in years but they will some how find a top tackle and three stud wrs in the draft and a guard or two as well.

Ambulance chaser..... you remind me.of my ex wife....  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

They for sure can.  But as of right now, the worst offense in the NFL from last season has not improved.  

Sure, it’s possible we can get better but the other teams get a chance to draft too.

What other teams do doesn't necessarily impact our ability to get better on offense.    With improved OL play, a second year of Lav Bell, a TE tandem of a healthy Herndon and Griffin, a couple of wrs from this draft added to Crowder, Perriman, Smith etc.  I think we can have a very good offense.   Time will tell.  To make these kind of pronouncements now, is just more of the same old doom and gloom.  Aren't things depressing enough without having to focus on the negative?  Especially when the team is not a finished product yet?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I hear ya, but we were literally the worst last year - and I don’t believe we’ve gotten any better yet.  I agree, there is still plenty of time.

With that said, I will try better to not be such a downer!

i am still super high on Sam - I see things in him that can carry us to a Super Bowl - I really do. 

He has every attribute I see in a great NFL QB.  Give him a legitimate weapon or two, a RB to keep teams honest and a reasonable Oline and this can be a team that is a year-in and year-out contender.  That’s all I really want - every year, have a legitimate shot to win it.  Not once a decade get in on a wildcard.  You have to really try to be that bad.

I guess I’m just frustrated by the fact that we let our only legitimate weapon walk over $4mm, let the top Tackle in FA walk over $3mm and paid $10mm to a back-up rated 57th in the league. 

That string of events really got me PO’d - and I have been venting all the way through.   

Agree with you on Sam.  He’s what kept me watching last season after we started 1-7.  With protection and weapons he ll be exciting to watch.

Yes we had a bottom ranked offense last year, but Sam had mono and missed 3 games and was no doubt playing sick against Buffalo.   His back up was lost for the season in his first game.   And the o line, which wasn’t good to start with was decimated by injuries and patched together.  They averaged 16 pts a game for the season but over the last seven games were much better and scored 21 or more pts in 5 out of 7.   If you believe in Sam as you do there is room for optimism.

Your issues with our free agency may or may not be valid.   You have to remember that these players have choices- it’s not automatic that they take the highest offer- and if the offers are the same they might prefer to play for a former coach or in a better tax situation.   I appreciate that Douglas has shown restraint instead of over spending to make a splash like Macagnan.  Totally different mind set.  I think it will overall pay off.  We have added mostly solid players at reasonable contracts, and no old guys, but players they are familiar with and in their prime.  We are in much better place now heading into the draft, even if he doesn’t sign another player.   The draft is where we will get another look into his thought process and style.   If he nails the first 5 picks we could have a nice season.   

Stay healthy.  That’s the most important thing.  This season if it happens is still just entertainment.   I’ve been a fan since 1969, so I understand the frustration.   I like what I see so far.  He just needs a good draft or two and we will be in a position to take over the division.

On paper Browns looked unstoppable last year. You are just crying before the milk was even put in the fridge let alone waiting for it to spill. Might let them play a couple games first. Or not. 
Milk is still in cow

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

A deep dive into what role Greg Van Roten could have with the Jets in 2020

Will Van Roten push Brian Winters out of New York?

By Bent 

The Jets' offensive overhaul continued with the addition of former Carolina Panthers guard Greg Van Roten over the weekend.

Much like George Fant, Van Roten took an unusual path to where he is now. The 30-year-old did a solid job over the past few seasons as a starter with the Panthers, but prior to that, he had been out of the league for several years and spent two years playing in the CFL. He didn't make his first NFL start until he was 28.

Having finally broken through, Van Roten played every snap in 2018 at left guard and then started the first 11 games of 2019 before missing the last five with a dislocated toe. Signing him should give the Jets another option with starting experience heading into the 2020 season, and it's widely assumed he'll earn a starting role.

Having already re-signed the incumbent starting left guard Alex Lewis, this raises the question as to where Van Roten might fit in. Last year's starter at right guard, Brian Winters, is still on the roster with new signee Connor McGovern expected to start at center.

Releasing Winters is certainly a possibility. The move would free up $7 million of cap space, although the team may prefer to hedge their bets and delay such a decision until training camp. There's a risk involved, though, because if Winters -- who has had durability issues over the past few years -- was to get injured in camp, the Jets could end up on the hook for his entire salary depending on the severity of the injury.

An alternative might be for the three to battle it out for these two available guard spots. Desperate to upgrade their own line this time last year, the Bills brought in a handful of linemen with starting experience, and basically held an open competition to identify their best five.

By oversubscribing, they were able to deal a couple of players from their surplus to recoup some draft capital before the season began. A similar approach could be in the works for the Jets with further additions possible.

If the Jets were to opt to remove Winters from the starting line-up, then either Van Roten or Lewis would have to move to the right side. While both have good positional versatility, they've actually only played four snaps at right guard between them in preseason or regular season action during their combined NFL careers.

However, Van Roten was a CFL All-Star at the position in 2016, so he should be comfortable with it if he's the one they get to make the move. It's also not impossible either of them could play the tackle position in a pinch, but that's unlikely to be anything other than an emergency measure.

Although Van Roten signed a three-year deal, further details of his contract have yet to be reported. However, Lewis signed a deal of the same length which contains just $6 million of guaranteed money. With Winters out of contract at the end of the season and Lewis in a situation where he could theoretically be released at the end of the year, the Jets will also need to think about 2021 and beyond.  

As noted, part of the possible desire to move on from Winters is concern over his durability. He's started 16 games just once since being drafted in 2013, and has ended the season on injured reserve in four of the past six seasons. Winters missed 13 starts over the past four years, and played hurt in many more games over that period. Despite being two years older and having missed five games himself last season, Van Roten offers a more reliable player with more chance of lasting the whole season.

Aside from his versatility and experience, Van Roten brings some useful attributes to the table. Thanks in part to Van Roten's contributions, the Panthers were fourth in the league in rushing last year with Christian McCaffery racking up over 1,000 yards both as a rusher and a receiver. As a pass protector, Van Roten had his hands full with Aaron Donald on opening day but didn't allow a sack in any of his other 10 starts. 

Van Roten, a former Ivy Leaguer, also brings intelligence, athleticism and a good attitude and, like the other linemen the Jets have signed, has been disciplined on the field with only one penalty called on him over the past two years according to the official numbers.

The Jets still have some decisions to make, but there's no question they've given themselves more options by bringing in Van Roten and the others over the last week.

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2020 at 9:00 AM, rex-n-effect said:

This is some premature bedwetting about the next season.

With the Jets, the season is usually over by October.  Why not move that up to the official start of the league year with FA ??? Get the bad news out of the way and get on to something enjoyable...

21 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

I guess my optimism is more toward Darnold than it is Gase.  Gase can call the plays but it's up to the 11 players on the field to execute and up to Darnold to make the right reads, right decisions and execute.  All things that will improve with more experience in the offense.  IMHO I believe Darnold has a bigger impact on the production of the offense than Gase does.  

I agree and disagree gase has to show that he can put players into a position they will succeed on constant basis. Until that happens he is hampering the growth of the team

19 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

It's hard enough to believe in your team when everybody beats them up for the prettiest of reasons.  But it's a whole nother deal when even the fans won't give them the benefit of the doubt.

you have to earn that benefit it is not just given

23 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You should lighten up too.

It’s just a message board!

To be honest though - this all started with the hiring of Gase.  That still pisses me off beyond explanation.  

I used to be a very positive fan-that was the beginning of this for me.

“I used to be a very positive fan”.  Yeah I call bullsh*t on that one ?