If NFL Season is delayed/shortened how would you want to see the season handled?

Purely hypothetical but the coronavirus situation has everyone now considering things that were at one time unthinkable.  I started to wonder how the NFL might handle the season if, as an example, they couldn't start training camps on time and had to delay or shorten the NFL season for 2020.  The NBA is starting to think outside the box in terms of a resumption of the season.  But check out the idea now being floated...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/26/coronavirus-how-the-nba-is-planning-to-save-its-season.html

The NBA could decide to cancel the remainder of its regular-season and create a play-in tournament for lower-seeded teams to enter the postseason. The league could then set-up a best-of-five series for the first round, before moving to a one-and-done tournament to determine the two teams that will play in the NBA Finals, which would also be a best-of-five, people familiar with the planning said.

The tournament and NBA Finals would be held in Las Vegas at the Thomas & Mack Center and Cox Pavilion, where the league hosts its annual Summer League events.

A one-and-done tournament for only the middle rounds of the playoffs sounds wild.  A Play-in game...then a Best of 5 tourney, then one-and-done rounds at a neutral site, then a Best of 5 finals.

The NBA is obviously in reaction mode because this outbreak started in the second half of their regular season.  The NFL does have the benefit of some time to consider options and not need to react as abruptly.  But what kind of approach would you take if, for example, the NFL regular season needed to be shortened to 10 games or something?  What about a regular season where you ONLY play against your division opponents and only the division winners make the playoffs?  Just shooting from the hip here!

It will be interesting to see if they release the schedule in a few weeks.  I can see them holding off until there’s more clarity.

Either that, or you may see a schedule that has all AFC vs. NFC games up front with all 6 divisional games at the end of the schedule.  

This way, if they have to delay or shorten the season they can keep the schedule as competitively balanced as possible and cut off the games that have less implication on playoff positioning. 

On 3/26/2020 at 3:03 PM, KRL said:

The entire league loves money too much, they will NEVER shorten the season.

They'll just push it back a couple of months so every team can have their

normal OTA's and training camp

Bingo.  

They own their own non-multi purpose stadiums and are an all-weather league. Full season will be played. Might be October to March, but all 17 games will happen.  

SAR I

24 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Bingo.  

They own their own non-multi purpose stadiums and are an all-weather league. Full season will be played. Might be October to March, but all 17 games will happen.  

SAR I

I know this is correct since they're all greedy as ****, but I'm not watching football in April or May depending on how long this is delayed. If it wasn't for the fact the weather sucks I'd normally give up on the team by mid to late October