Would you consider trading into the top 10 for your choice of OT

Would you consider trading into the top 10 for your choice of OT  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider trading into the top 10 for your choice of OT?

• Yes
    • No, stay put and let fate decide
    • I'd prefer to trade down and target Josh Jones, Austin Jackson or fill this need later in the draft (Peart, Bartch)

I'd be willing to move up to land Jedrick Wills (first choice) or Andrew Thomas (second choice) and use a second round pick from next year's draft to execute the trade. 

I want to keep as much of our picks from this year's draft as possible, and I'm confident we can find good receivers in rounds two and three in this class. I think Thomas and Wills are far safer than Becton and Wirfs. 

What do you think?

• Upvote 4

I don't follow college ball, so I don't really have a favorite of the top 4 Olinenem.

Doesn't seem like anyone does though.  The mock drafts I've seen over the last two months are constantly switching the order of the top 4.

Don't see the sense in trading away picks if all 4 are interchangeable.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

The fact we can take a Top player at WR or CB if the OTs are gone means we can sit tight 

I'm not a big "trade down" guy but I think there's a real possibility of a trade down this year 

I know we need a corner badly, but if we draft a defensive player in the first I will flip out. I think we have to prioritize helping Darnold.

But since reasonable can disagree, just out of curiosity, would your choice be CJ Henderson? I haven't done much research on the corners because all I care about is OT and WR in the first and second. Any insight is appreciated. 

Only way I trade up in this draft is if all but one of the OTs I'd be very happy with are gone. Don't need to have my pick of the group, but I do want to select from the first tier. 

To me, that tier is 5 deep and ends with Jones, but if JD sees it differently, he should act accordingly

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, bitonti said:

Nope in fact I'd rather trade down

people have become Myopic about the LT need 

yes it's still pretty bad but this roster has far too many holes to be trading up 

It's not so much the need, bit, as it is the unusual likelihood of filling it with a 10 plus year starter given the quality in this draft. This is an unusual group, and I'd like to take one of those guys

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I don't follow college ball, so I don't really have a favorite of the top 4 Olinenem.

Doesn't seem like anyone does though.  The mock drafts I've seen over the last two months are constantly switching the order of the top 4.

Don't see the sense in trading away picks if all 4 are interchangeable.

Others have their lists or rankings but they are not interchangeable 

Becton is scheme diverse man mountain clear #1

Thomas is reliable professional would be 1 in any other crop but probably a better fit for Man than ZOne 

Wills is a natural RT but 6'4" better fit for man than zone and penalty prone

Wirfs is a rare athlete great zone scheme but might be an All Pro Guard instead of a LT solution 

They are all potentially blue chip top 10 picks and the Jets would have problems passing on any of them but I could see a scenario where Becton goes top 5 and there's a split decision on who the #2 OT will be. 

There's a very real chance all are gone by 11. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, RedBeardedSavage said:

Listen, I’m not an expert, but it seems to me like Wills and Thomas are safer than Wirfs and Becton. 

No one really knows but the Jets probably have it Becton and Thomas as "safe" LT picks. Thomas has tons of actual SEC experience in big games and Becton has a high floor due to his planet theory measurements. 

Wirfs is safe (maybe amazing) as a guard but RT only? Can he play LT? It's a question. JD probably hates Wills for penalty reasons. 

Wills being "safe" is one of those things that's absolutely true for another offensive system.  I don't see Wills as being super safe as a Jets pick. They wouldn't pass on any of these 4 but they probably have their preferences.

5 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

It's not so much the need, bit, as it is the unusual likelihood of filling it with a 10 plus year starter given the quality in this draft. This is an unusual group, and I'd like to take one of those guys

And fwiw I don't see a huge gap between the tail end of this list and the top of tier 2. Or the top end of next year's draft to be honest. Sam Cosmi might be the perfect Gase lineman for all we know. They do like em tall. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Nope in fact I'd rather trade down

people have become Myopic about the LT need 

yes it's still pretty bad but this roster has far too many holes to be trading up 

What Doggin said. And who is our RT right now? 

McGovern and Van Roten are solid starters and definitely an upgrade, the rest of our signings are gambles (Fant) or depth/marginal starters (Lewis, Andrews). 

I'm happy with the moves we made so far. But I'm not at all sold on either tackle spot going into the year.

• Sympathy 1

I'm fine with it if there is a big delta between two remaining OTs and we have a chance to jump up and grab one of them.   This is a guy we are hoping will start for us for the next 10 years at a premium position.  Is a third round pick really important enough to blow that?  Again, this hinges on JD's assessment of the talent on the board, but if you have a chance to take the next D'Brick or Lane Johnson instead of waiting and settling for a guy who may never be a quality starter, that 3rd rounder is a very small price to pay. 

Picks have value in terms of how much talent you can use them to acquire, not just how many players.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

What Doggin said. And who is our RT right now? 

I'm happy with the moves we made so far. But I'm not at all sold on either tackle spot going into the year.

Edoga vs a draft pick (doesn't have to be 11, could be a rd 2 guy)

Alex Lewis has RT potential by the way 

George Fant is better than people are giving him credit for and even with a rookie he's going to be the starting LT (prediction)

im not going to convince anyone with words hopefully the tape can do some work here 

the Jets have added a bunch of bodies this offseason the line is better but the rest of the team needs to improve as well

OT, WR1, WR2, RB2, OLB2, CB2, are the major needs at the moment

they might need more at skills than line and I'm saying this as a dude who loves line 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

In 714 snaps, Jedrick Wills had just 4 false starts and 6 total penalties

3 came in the Iron Bowl against Auburn. He had a bad game. 

these sound like small numbers... compared to Thomas 1 penalty all year these are huge penalty issues

also ask any Tide fan they will say Wills has a reputation for penalties at the wrong time 

Becton also had a bad rivalry vs Kentucky he had his only 2 penalties of the season

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

No one really knows but the Jets probably have it Becton and Thomas as "safe" LT picks. Thomas has tons of actual SEC experience in big games and Becton has a high floor due to his planet theory measurements. 

Wirfs is safe (maybe amazing) as a guard but RT only? Can he play LT? It's a question. JD probably hates Wills for penalty reasons. 

Wills being "safe" is one of those things that's absolutely true for another offensive system.  I don't see Wills as being super safe as a Jets pick. They wouldn't pass on any of these 4 but they probably have their preferences.

And fwiw I don't see a huge gap between the tail end of this list and the top of tier 2. Or the top end of next year's draft to be honest. Sam Cosmi might be the perfect Gase lineman for all we know. They do like em tall. 

What if you include Jones in tier 1? On the next year thing, the question isn't whether there will be one or two guys in next year's draft who would match the quality of these guys. The question is whether there will be enough high-level quality in next year's draft that you have a good chance of selecting one of those guys next year even if you're drafting in the 10 to 20 range. This is a rare opportunity to fill one of the three Elite, A-1 important positions in football with an elite player. You can't pass that up

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

In 714 snaps, Jedrick Wills had just 4 false starts and 6 total penalties

3 came in the Iron Bowl against Auburn. He had a bad game. 

Tua was out that game and there were a lot of communication issues - our whole offense was out of sync between the new QB and the loud road crowd - of course it was the 2 pick 6s, including a 100 harder that killed us

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

George Fant is better than people are giving him credit for and even with a rookie he's going to be the starting LT (prediction)

im not going to convince anyone with words hopefully the tape can do some work here 

the Jets have added a bunch of bodies this offseason the line is better but the rest of the team needs to improve as well

they might need more at skills than line and I'm saying this as a dude who loves line 

I agree. The cupboard is emptier at WR, CB and edge than OT; I have similar thoughts on Fant. But the fact remains that the Jets have two question marks at OT. Could both pan out? Sure. Would it be wise to go into the season needing both to pan out? No. And are either of those guys good enough that if you think you have a high likelihood of a 10 + year starter at the position staring at you in the draft you should pass them up to go for a player at a position of Greater need, even a better player in a vacuum? No. The Tackle position is too important for that

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

these sound like small numbers... compared to Thomas 1 penalty all year these are huge penalty issues

also ask any Tide fan they will say Wills has a reputation for penalties at the wrong time 

Becton also had a bad rivalry vs Kentucky he had his only 2 penalties of the season

3 in one game, in a big game, is more indicative of a bad game, not a trend. Without that, he'd have 3 penalties total in his entire Alabama career. Just saying, that's not exactly a knock. If I were to judge Darnold by that NE game... 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I've seen the Edoga film before, from you posting it. Appreciate that find btw, I enjoy watching breakdowns like that. That film gives me hope but I'm far from sold on him, which I gather is your position too. 

Hadn't seen that Fant video, and while it's nice to see that he can kick out well and has clear LT athleticism and solid recognition, the film is from 2017 and it shows his clear weakness with hand placement and his vulnerability to bull rushers. 

I would love it if it turned out we already had our two tackles on the roster and they were both average to above average starters. I'm just not banking on that as a fan, or if I were the coach/GM.

I enjoyed this breakdown of Wills v Wirfs btw, and it's a big reason why I'm a Wills guy. 

Also would be happy to grab a player like Ben Bartch from St Johns later in the draft after reading about his senior bowl practice week. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Thomas should be there at 11, but yes if JD believes the OT he wants won't be there.

We should consider signing Peters anyway to a one year deal even if we draft Thomas or Wills at 11

Peters can start at LT. Thomas/Wills can start at RT.  Move Fant inside for one year to one of the Guard spots and finally cut Winters

I chose the trade down.  Josh Jones, Austin Jackson and Ezra Cleveland may all have first round grades and I'd like the ammo to grab one of the second tier OL as well.  Then pivot to WR and grab two of Reagor, Pittman Mims or Shenault.  More picks equals more options.  

• Upvote 1