Jets sign GVR to 3 year 10.5MM deal

Winters is making 6 million so if they don't cut  him Van Roten is the backup
I think JD will ask Winters to take a pay cut or rework his contact.

Also I think GVR started at LG with the Panthers. I'm hoping we draft a RG at some point. Lewis could easily wind up being a backup again.
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tdoublee said:

I think JD will ask Winters to take a pay cut or rework his contact.

Also I think GVR started at LG with the Panthers. I'm hoping we draft a RG at some point. Lewis could easily wind up being a backup again.

Alex Lewis much more expensive than Van Roten

42 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This guy is a beast at contract negations.

either you come to NYJ for his price or kick rocks.

While I like what JD has done, Idzik was the same way when it came to negotiations IIRC.

We'll see how the end result turns out.

13 minutes ago, King P said:

While I like what JD has done, Idzik was the same way when it came to negotiations IIRC.

We'll see how the end result turns out.

This approach works well if you can draft well.  Idzik couldn't.  Hopefully JD can.

• Upvote 2

Alex Lewis much more expensive than Van Roten

Yeah that is a big difference. Hopefully the most talented players get to play.

I think I saw somewhere that GVR agreed to this deal without his agent in the room? If so, his agent must be pissed. That's a pretty good hometown discount.
  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, tdoublee said:

I think I saw somewhere that GVR agreed to this deal without his agent in the room? If so, his agent must be pissed. That's a pretty good hometown discount.

hahaha.   Now how the hell did JD pull THAT off?  Agent goes to take a leak and comes back to a signed deal.  Gotta love it. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

This guy is a beast at contract negations.

either you come to NYJ for his price or kick rocks.

I think that's actually what happened here.  The Jets came to an agreement, and the electronic signing phase, the player starting saying I want this or that also, and Douglas said 'kiss my ass, bye'.

Kind of like that

Winters may be playing a game of chicken with JD. The Jets need him for backup depth and don't want him to hit the open market to determine his value for fear of losing him. So Winters might not renegotiate his contract. Even if the Jets pay him more than GVR and he's used as backup I think he's worth it and the Jets appear to have the cap dollars.

8 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Winters may be playing a game of chicken with JD. The Jets need him for backup depth and don't want him to hit the open market to determine his value for fear of losing him. So Winters might not renegotiate his contract. Even if the Jets pay him more than GVR and he's used as backup I think he's worth it and the Jets appear to have the cap dollars.

If he is, he's going to lose.  Winters has almost no leverage.  

He's been replaced. If the Jets pick up a guard, even in the 5th round, he's screwed.  He has no money guaranteed on a nice contract.  Jets can hold him until the final cut.  Then he'll have to sign for vet min. 

If the Jets want to keep him, and I'm not sure they do, he'd be wise to sign a team friendly deal 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

If he is, he's going to lose.  Winters has almost no leverage.  

He's been replaced. If the Jets pick up a guard, even in the 5th round, he's screwed.  He has no money guaranteed on a nice contract.  Jets can hold him until the final cut.  Then he'll have to sign for vet min. 

If the Jets want to keep him, and I'm not sure they do, he'd be wise to sign a tea friendly deal 

Agreed. But unless JD can pick up a replacement it may be worth the cap dollars *if* the Jets have the room. I just don't want to see the OL fall apart after a starter gets injured and we don't have a viable backup.

Definitely hold on to him until after the draft and until the final cuts to see who else comes available.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Agreed. But unless JD can pick up a replacement it may be worth the cap dollars *if* the Jets have the room. I just don't want to see the OL fall apart after a starter gets injured and we don't have a viable backup.

Definitely hold on to him until after the draft and until the final cuts to see who else comes available.

Actually I like Winters.  He's been disappointing because he's ALWAYS playing thru some injury.

Probably would be a good back up for both G spots, but he has to take a back up contract.

IMO, one thing Douglas has shown he's not going to play around with contracts on non star players.  Either you take what he's offering, or move on.

Think in the end Winters will take what's being offered 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tdoublee said:

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

hahaha.   Now how the hell did JD pull THAT off?  Agent goes to take a leak and comes back to a signed deal.  Gotta love it. 

I told you guys last week  these negotiations got very heated, with the Jets not offering what they originally said they would.

JD and the agent were at odds, and Van Roten got upset with his agent eventually. He called JD himself and asked for his vey best offer. I TOLD YOU THIS AS SOON AS THE DEAL WAS ANNOUNCED, AND THAT THERE WAS VERY LITTLE GUARANTEED MONEY.

Van Roten really wanted to play for his favorite team. LOL at the posters here who thought he would publicly call out his agent or JD and disclose what happened behind closed doors.

I’ve caught some grief over this, from the usual cast of wise acres, but I could not have had a better source. At least the part about the very low guarantee money has shown to be true.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I really like what JD is doing on the interior line. The tackles are very shaky right now, but if JD drafts one in the first two rounds of the draft (and maybe another one in the 3rd round), then all is good.

I still think all of the signings, except McGovern, are hold the fort/depth ones.