Jets sign GVR to 3 year 10.5MM deal

7 hours ago, Skeptable said:

I think he is setting a standard... If you are getting a re-up we pay slightly more to keep... if your new ... i'll give you a prove it 1-year contract or low ball short term contract.

Sets a culture to stay rather then leave...

If this is by design, it's a significant shift. Jets have been paying thru the nose for other team's free agents and screwing over their own for this entire millennium. And probably before that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

To me the deals Douglas gave Lewis and Van Roten indicate that there's going
to be a 3 man battle to see who the starting guards will be.  Winters (if
healthy) will be given a shot to see if he can beat one of them out 

JD is doing a great job with the most glaring weakness on this team. Build your Oline and protect your QB. That is the number 1 priority in this off season and that can't be overstated. Every signing doesn't have to be a blockbuster, depth is important. There are plenty of other deficiencies on this roster but they all can't be addressed this year.  I'm looking forward to a solid draft also. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Van Rotten was a nice signing. But I hope this doesn't prevent JD from drafting another C/G in rounds 2 or 3.

To me, investing mid to early round draft picks on O-linemen should be an annual event. Something Mac never believed in.

I think we can safely assume JD will be drafting at least 2 OL in this draft.  The guys he signed were band-aids and he knows that.  

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think we can safely assume JD will be drafting at least 2 OL in this draft.  The guys he signed were band-aids and he knows that.  

We don’t know he knows that.  

We really have no way of knowing the way he’s going to draft.  He is, although, putting an awful lot of pressure on himself to nail this draft though. 

I guess I like that - a lot of self confidence - if he’s not just Gase’s puppet.

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We don’t know he knows that.  

Given the philosophy of the Ravens for decades and how the Eagles drafted while Douglas held essentially Assistant GM duties, I think we can make an educated guess that JD is absolutely going to draft 2+ OL.   

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

I wonder if Winters could also get a chance to compete at Right Tackle. He was drafted as a Tackle before moving inside.

Can’t see him getting any sort of chance here 

Between re-signing Lewis, bringing in Van Roten and Josh Andrews, currently counting over $6 million against the cap, etc...

Winters and Avery Williamson are in almost identical situations at this point.

Winters can get lost as far as I’m concerned, but it would’ve been nice to see a healthy Mosley/Williamson tandem. But just getting rid of Winters and Williamson would free up the money to bring in someone like Griffen/Golden to pair with Jenkins on the edge and a vet corner like Amukamara to play opposite Desir on the outside.

22 hours ago, King P said:

While I like what JD has done, Idzik was the same way when it came to negotiations IIRC.

We'll see how the end result turns out.

Two differences. First, Idzik was never a scout, always a numbers guy. Joe Douglas came up as a scout. So he should be better at player selection, which was the thing that crushed Idzik. 

And second, Douglas isn't trying to get the head coach fired. 

54 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Two differences. First, Idzik was never a scout, always a numbers guy. Joe Douglas came up as a scout. So he should be better at player selection, which was the thing that crushed Idzik. 

And second, Douglas isn't trying to get the head coach fired. 

Mac was a scout

Scout Master GIF by South Park

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

JD is no different than Mac at least so far. Mac sucked and I'm not sure if (we'll have to see) JD is any better.

How can you say this? He has done more these past 2 weeks upgrading the biggest weakness on this team than Macc did in 4 years. Did you expect the entire roster to be overhauled in less than a year? It's not JD's fault that the previous GM was a complete moron and left him with a less than stellar roster with major deficiencies at key positions. The guy hasn't even had 1 draft yet. Can we at least give him that? I guarantee you it will be far more productive than the previous hack. 

• Upvote 1