Ozzie Newsome’s Final Draft Day Moves; JD’s Mentor

Sorry having trouble copying and pasting. 

Ozzie moved several times in his last draft; up & down . Douglas has seen how Ozzie evaluates talent, the value he places on positions and negotiating compensation when making a draft day trade  Let’s hope JD was paying attention. 
As a Mets fan I can’t believe Decosta made the successful move from MLB to NFL  

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/ravens/ozzie-newsome-stepping-down-ravens-general-manager-after-2018-season

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, slats said:

This is why I'd love for his first move in the draft to be to trade down and add a pick or two. Just another second round pick would put them in position to be able to trade up or down the rest of the way, especially with that extra third already in the bank. 

I just don't want to trade up. I'm hoping JD's favorite OT sits outside the top four. 

I think a best case scenario is if douglas trades back to 15 and nets an extra 3rd.  This would probably put the jets in position to still get either a top OT or a top 3 wr.  

34 minutes ago, slats said:

This is why I'd love for his first move in the draft to be to trade down and add a pick or two. Just another second round pick would put them in position to be able to trade up or down the rest of the way, especially with that extra third already in the bank. 

I just don't want to trade up. I'm hoping JD's favorite OT sits outside the top four. 

If we can trade for Trent Williams, I’d be all in on a trade down. 

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think a best case scenario is if douglas trades back to 15 and nets an extra 3rd.  This would probably put the jets in position to still get either a top OT or a top 3 wr.  

A trade down with denver makes a lot of sense and theres been a lot of smoke about them wanting to move up.  

I'd ideally even like to move down further to accumulate more picks but denver would probably net us an extra 3rd rounder, probably pick 77 which is worth 205 pts.    

Just for reference the 11th pick is worth 1250.  Denver would be giving the jets the 15th worth 1050 and 77th worth 205

A very fair deal, possibly a hard bargain could squeeze a late round pick into there but as is that would by 1250 for 1255.  

The deal would give the jets 15, 48, 68, 77, and 79 in the first 3 rounds. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

That would be a fair deal, and the Jets would probably still be in position for their top OT if not their top WR. 

6 minutes ago, JAFJET said:

All the trade back hope is fine and good but there has to be some club wanting to trade up into the Jets spot for it to happen. 

The trade above makes sense for both teams. The Broncos have to be thinking about getting ahead of their division rival for their favorite WR. 

43 minutes ago, slats said:

Every night I have the same dream....

trade down... draft Higgins and J Jones.  

Every night.

(I'd smile for Mims and Jones as well)

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

Denver's third would give the Jets enough fire power to move their second rounder all the way back into the bottom of the first round, if that's what they wanted to do, still leaving them with two third rounders. 

Its possible... Say Andrew thomas after we pass at 11 is still there at 15, JD takes him.  They would still be in the market for a WR.. Its possible a guy like Mims could still be around in the late first and they'd like him enough to move up.

For reference again, if the jets packaged their 2nd round pick (valued at 420) and the Giants 3rd (valued at 250) That would give a package value of 670.  First round picks that have similar value:

Seahawks pick 27 (value 680)

Baltimore pick 28  (value 660)

Tenn pick 29 (value 640)

Any higher we'd have to sacrifice picks in future drafts i believe and realistically we'd probably have to add value, since trading back into the first round usually costs over value.   To me thats the highest we can possibly go. If youre looking to the absolute end of the first youre looking at picks 

30-32 which are GB, SF, and KC respectively all having values of 620, 600, and 590. 

If they are looking to trade back up into the first i would think it would be for either a WR or an OT depending on what they would do at 15.  I think that may be too late for guys they'd ideally target.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Dropping down 3 slots if someone really wants a player at 11 better net us better than a 3rd rounder only. I'd say 3rd and 4th rounder or 3rd rounder this year and 3rd rounder next year. And that is if you can't get a 2nd rounder this year.

2 hours ago, JAFJET said:

All the trade back hope is fine and good but there has to be some club wanting to trade up into the Jets spot for it to happen. 

If the top 3 QB’s go early then someone might panic and trade up for Love, if they are not all gone someone may be willing to trade up to 11 to nab one of those top 3.

I assume Love is projected to be the next Dak Prescott (good or bad). I’d be surprised if teams would need to move up to #11 for him.

Phase II of JD’s job is player evaluation which has been ongoing 

Phase III begins on Draft Day making deals to move up and down the board and getting good value. 

Good Luck JD! The eyes of a nation (JetNation) are upon you. 

• Upvote 1