Will you be upset if the Jets draft Isaiah Simmons at 11?

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

Von Miller was 10lbs. heavier at the combine and was a sack artist in college. Please try again. You're the one who compared him to LT, not me. 

Yeah I just don’t see how people are projecting this guy becoming an edge rusher

• Upvote 1

Just now, section314 said:

I'm talking their roles in college....Urlacher, I believe, was a safety, but had a role very similar to Simmons. He was an athletic freak, much like Simmons.

If he compared him to Urlacher we wouldn't be having this discussion. Urlacher never played safety in college although he did play WR his freshman year. 

4 minutes ago, RobR said:

Urlacher is way heavier and was never a sack guy because he played inside. The other poster compared Simmons to LT, sorry for calling him out on that BS. When you compare someone to LT you're talking about a sack artist, which Simmons never was and never will be. 

Don't be sorry. You consider it BS and that is your perogative.   To say he will never be a sack artist is probably true because he will be asked to do more than just rush the passer depending what team drafts him and what scheme he plays in.  

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Yeah I just don’t see how people are projecting this guy becoming an edge rusher

He didn't get sacks in college and doesn't fit the profile of a sack guy in the NFL. Here comes the next Lawrence Taylor....lmao.

• Upvote 2

I compared him to LT as an all around LB who could do it all and could possibly redefine the position.  I never said he was just an edge rusher.   

Just now, RobR said:

He didn't get sacks in college and doesn't fit the profile of a sack guy in the NFL. Here comes the next Lawrence Taylor....lmao.

He’s going to be a consistent 100+ tackle guy who gets 3-5 sacks per year on disguised blitzes.  He will be a really good player but he’s not even Josh Allen

5 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I compared him to LT as an all around LB who could do it all and could possibly redefine the position.  I never said he was just an edge rusher.   

We already have Adams who is a similar type of hybrid Safety/ILB.  Adams usually lines up in the box in dime and nickel

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

This guy has Lawrence Taylor-like talent.  I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out better than Chase Young.  If he is there at 11, I'm taking him with the quickness.  We can get OT and WR in the next 2 - 4 rounds.   

Not a good comparison at all JB as Lawrence Taylor recorded 16 sacks during a single season while @ UNC in comparison to Isaiah Simmons who's only recorded 11.0 sacks throughout his 3-4 seasons @ Clemson. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Whenever someone compares a player to LT, the first thing that comes to my mind was how good he was in pass coverage. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

You apparently only think LT was known for his sacks.  LT dropped back in coverage, played the run and also rushed the passer.  What made him so unique was he was doing all that at 6'3 243 IIbs  which was big for linebacker when most were around 220-225.   Simmons is 235-240 and 6'4 and can do it all as well.    Rather than debate this, I will just wait until next season when this kid is candidate for defensive player of the year.   I think this all a moot point because there is no way I see him falling to 11.   

Watched many games with Lawrence Taylor. So no I am not thinking it is because of his sacks.  

He is not Lawrence Taylor. 

8 minutes ago, RobR said:

If he compared him to Urlacher we wouldn't be having this discussion. Urlacher never played safety in college although he did play WR his freshman year. 

Okay perhaps I misspoke. It is kinda hard to find someone this compares to.  Urlacher is a better comparison though.  I think this guy is going to be a prototype LB for teams to look for.  In that respect he will be like LT as everyone wanted to find the next "LT" and he redefined the position.  But in retrospect he probably wasn't the best comparison.  

• Sympathy 1

Just now, JetBlue said:

Okay perhaps I misspoke. It is kinda hard to find someone this compares to.  Urlacher is a better comparison though.  I think this guy is going to be a prototype LB for teams to look for.  In that respect he will be like LT as everyone wanted to find the next "LT" and he redefined the position.  But in retrospect he probably wasn't the best comparison.  

Way better Vilma

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

He’s going to be a consistent 100+ tackle guy who gets 3-5 sacks per year on disguised blitzes.  He will be a really good player but he’s not even Josh Allen

I think you may be seriously downplaying his ability to get the quarterback but we shall see.   They way he was used at Clemson isn't necessarily how he will be used in the NFL.

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

I think you may be seriously downplaying his ability to get the quarterback but we shall see.   They way he was used at Clemson isn't necessarily how he will be used in the NFL.

This was the same thing I heard about the jets signing Anthony Barr last year.  He had a grand total of 1.5 sacks last season congrats he did the jets a favor

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Watched many games with Lawrence Taylor. So no I am not thinking it is because of his sacks.  

He is not Lawrence Taylor. 

Dude I never said he is Lawrence Taylor lol.  Why do you keep saying that? I said he had LT type ability.  LT played in coverage, played against the run as well as rushed the passer.  Simmons probably won't be the pass rusher LT was, I am in agreement with that but he won't be chopped liver either, he will be a sideline to sideline terror and game changer.  

This was the same thing I heard about the jets signing Anthony Barr last year.  He had a grand total of 1.5 sacks last season congrats he did the jets a favor

Barr can't carry this kids jock, please stop it. 

Just now, JetBlue said:

Dude I never said he is Lawrence Taylor lol.  Why do you keep saying that? I said he had LT type ability.  LT played in coverage, played against the run as well as rushed the passer.  Simmons probably won't be the pass rusher LT was, I am in agreement with that but he won't be chopped liver either, he will be a sideline to sideline terror and game changer.  

LT sucked against the run, that's why teams would run straight at him.

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, JetBlue said:

Vilma was barely 6'1 and was around 225.  Simmons is 6'4 235 going on 240. He also runs 4.39 40.   There is no comparison between Vilma and Simmons.  Simmons is true freak. 

Vilma was in his element playing in space. That’s what this guy is that’s why he also played Safety

Just now, RobR said:

LT sucked against the run, that's why teams would run straight at him.

lol LT did not suck against the run.  I don't know where you are getting this stuff from.  He may not have been the best run stopping LB but he far from sucked. 

• Haha 1

lol LT did not suck against the run.  I don't know where you are getting this stuff from.  He may not have been the best run stopping LB but he far from sucked. 

Hey man I like this Clint Frazier guy he could be the next Mickey Mantle

Vilma was in his element playing in space. That’s what this guy is that’s why he also played Safety

Okay I see where you are coming from.   Simmons is much better all around player than Vilma coming out of college.   Last season he was finally allowed to rush the passer and had 8 sacks.  I think that number is going increase in the pros. 

Just now, JetBlue said:

Did you even watch him play? Every team knew the best way to neutralize LT was to run straight at him. You also said he was great in pass coverage but I don't remember him breaking up many passes. He was strictly an amazing passrusher but lacked in every other category. That's why I called you out for comparing him to Simmons because they are nothing alike.

Okay I see where you are coming from.   Simmons is much better all around player than Vilma coming out of college.   Last season he was finally allowed to rush the passer and had 8 sacks.  I think that number is going increase in the pros. 

Do you think he’s going to play OLB?  If a team like the giants draft him he’s there starting MLB

5 minutes ago, RobR said:

Did you even watch him play? Every team knew the best way to neutralize LT was to run straight at him. You also said he was great in pass coverage but I don't remember him breaking up many passes. He was strictly an amazing passrusher but lacked in every other category. That's why I called you out for comparing him to Simmons because they are nothing alike.

Dude I watched him plenty. He was my FAVORITE non Jets player at the time. 

Just because you don't remember something doesn't mean it didn't happen.  You are seriously wrong about your assessment of LT.  HE COULD DO EVERYTHING but was best known for his pass rush ability.   Especially his early years. He was MUCH MORE than just an amazing pass rusher.  That is why he is considered in many circles to be the best defensive player in league history.    Teams ran at him because that was the best option because if you ran away from him he would run down the ball carrier, more often than not, for a loss.

6 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Dude I watched him plenty. He was my FAVORITE non Jets player at the time. 

Just because you don't remember something doesn't mean it didn't happen.  You are seriously wrong about your assessment of LT.  HE COULD DO EVERYTHING but was best known for his pass rush ability.   Especially his early years. He was MUCH MORE than just an amazing pass rusher.  That is why he is considered in many circles to be the best defensive player in league history.    Teams ran at him because that was the best option because if you ran away from him he would run down the ball carrier, more often than not, for a loss.

Yup, nothing like watching LT get blown up at the POA screams what a great run defender he was.

2 hours ago, RobR said:

There were times where he got run over, but for the most part he held the edge very well for his size.  And if you ran at Banks he'd run down your back like cheetah. 

LT was the greatest defender I've ever seen and to hear someone call him lacking is a bit puzzling. 

I would not be as mad as if they took Derrick Brown!  I’m praying that guy doesn’t fall to 11.

But seriously, I’d be disappointed but not upset if Simmons was the pick at 11.  The guy is a top 3 pick and if he somehow slipped to 11 I am sure Douglas would be hard pressed to pass on him.  Even though he’s a defensive player, he still would fill a big need as an outside pass rusher.  And the only way he gets to 11 is if there is a run on OTs and WRs in the top 10, so most people’s dream pick most likely won’t be there.  Trade down?  Sure, although that’s always easier said than done.