Dynamic Henry Ruggs III could force Jets’ hand at NFL draft

These 3 WRs are all potentially going to be great in the NFL. They are all a little different. All have good hands, all have good speed, athleticism, etc.

But Jeudy's strength is routes, Ruggs is explosiveness, Lambs is physicality. It just kind of depends on what type of WR you want for your system, for your QB, for your roster, to fit your philosophy, etc.

Having said that Ruggs and Jeudy seem like the two guys that jump out as the ones Gase would want.

I just feel like one prospect is not nec. better than the other, they are just different. That's how good these top 3 are.      

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Lil O said:

Average yards per reception very similar to Juedy

The problem with Ruggs is that he is not a polished route runner which made the likes of Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison All-Time greats who could get open for their QB (at ease)..

And because of a lack of excellence as a polished route runner, a lot of speed demon receivers such as Riggs himself ends up going long periods and long stretches throughout games without being involved within the passing game and is instead just a deep threat decoy. 

Not only is Jerry Jeudy an excellent route runner who will get open at ease for Darnold (greatest route runner I've seen coming out of college in a long time, since Larry Fitzgerald) but he's just as awesome at tracking down deep balls in comparison to Ruggs. 

But then again I'm not a pro scout and could be wrong while Ruggs becomes the next version of Tyreek Hill who only had 31 catches in college before exploding in the NFL as a Superstar talent. 

7 minutes ago, PepPep said:

These 3 WRs are all potentially going to be great in the NFL. They are all a little different. All have good hands, all have good speed, athleticism, etc.

But Jeudy's strength is routes, Ruggs is explosiveness, Lambs is physicality. It just kind of depends on what type of WR you want for your system, for your QB, for your roster, to fit your philosophy, etc.

Having said that Ruggs and Jeudy seem like the two guys that jump out as the ones Gase would want.

I just feel like one prospect is not nec. better than the other, they are just different. That's how good these top 3 are.      

I have talked myself into and out of all three, just like I've talked myself into and out of WR vs. OL in round one. It's a great feeling knowing there are seven players on the board that I'd be happy with; knowing at least a couple of them will be available at 11. 

5 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

The problem with Ruggs is that he is not a polished route runner which made the likes of Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison All-Time greats who could get open for their QB (at ease)..

And because of a lack of excellence as a polished route runner, a lot of speed demon receivers such as Riggs himself ends up going long periods and long stretches throughout games without being involved within the passing game and is instead just a deep threat decoy. 

Not only is Jerry Jeudy an excellent route runner who will get open at ease for Darnold (greatest route runner I've seen coming out of college in a long time, since Larry Fitzgerald) but he's just as awesome at tracking down deep balls in comparison to Ruggs. 

But then again I'm not a pro scout and could be wrong while Ruggs becomes the next version of Tyreek Hill who only had 31 catches in college before exploding in the NFL as a Superstar talent. 

I hear what you are saying.  I haven’t personally watched these top WRs, and I am just going on highlights and articles.  But someone posted earlier something that showed that Ruggs actually runs a lot of routes and runs them well.  Again just going on what I am reading.  However I will say some people have compared them to Steve Smith… I would love to have a guy like that on our team. One way or another we are going to draft a quality wide receiver.

On 3/29/2020 at 9:47 AM, derp said:

Jeudy is a really good route runner. He really leveled off statistically. Build is weird, all legs, skinny.  Not a tackle breaker or a contested catch guy due to his lack of physical strength. Needs a lot to break right to be an elite #1 guy - the only similar one I can think of was Antonio Brown. His play speed is better than he tested and I could see him potentially eating things up across a field stretcher like Perriman - so maybe he’s a fit and they complement each other well. But he wins on the ground with routes, quickness, and speed - and that’s it. I worry about the lack of strength when coverage in the NFL will be tighter. Will see more contested stuff. I think he likely ends up Amari Cooper-ish which is fine.

Lamb is a tough eval. Bigger but not by much and he’s still skinny. Lots of clean breaks off the line in that offense. He’s got a unique burst and tested that way so tough to tell how much that’s him versus college athletes or that’s just who he is. Good adjusting to the ball in the air. Similar thoughts about him across from Perriman to Jeudy - wins in a different way but maybe can benefit from less attention due to Perriman’s field stretching abilities. He’s weird because he won as kind of a physically dominant Julio Jones type in college running away from and through guys but he’s not clearly going to be physically dominant in the NFL and so it’ll be interesting to see what translates. I’ve seen Hopkins comparisons too which are interesting since they’re more similar physically - Hopkins went in the 20’s. Not critical but read a rumor a while back he likes partying and may be better off landing in a smaller area - who knows if it’s true though.

Ruggs is absurdly fast and it’s not just timed speed. He ate against weaker teams. Those stacked offenses are tough to evaluate - Smith was better statistically than Ruggs and Jeudy. They’re where market share stats don’t tell the whole story - kind of like when LSU had Beckham and Landry. I like the idea of having multiple absolute burners - same idea as KC. Open things up vertically and horizontally. He’s a huge gamble though. No statistics to back it up and the fast guy profile rarely translates. Easy to see why teams keep doing it though. Upside seems huge. I also like that he seems down to earth, focused, plays through injuries, makes contested plays. But he’s a risk for sure.

I’m also curious - in a DEEP WR draft where you can make arguments for guys like Mims and Jefferson over the consensus top 3 and there are guys who are going to fall even to day three...we see none of the consensus top three are the Julio Jones, AJ Green, Calvin Johnson types and guys like Anderson didn’t have huge markets in FA. Do teams wait on WR knowing they can certainly get one later?

Yes, they can wait if one of the big 4 OTs are still on the board

On 3/29/2020 at 10:57 AM, choon328 said:

Robby ran a 4.31. And if you can't see the difference between Robby and Ruggs then I don't know what to tell you. 

Robby emerged out of nowhere during a meaningless preseason game with Bryce Petty as his QB as an undrafted walk-on and went on to sign a contract worth $20,000,000 (over 2 years) - while Ruggs has yet to catch an NFL pass. Big difference there. 

And his Ruggs/Stephen Hill example was spot on. Both WR's coming out of college were/are unpolished route runners, extremely raw and used straight line speed in college. 

Give me either Jeudy or CeeDee; I don't want Ruggs (as Perriman is just as fast to begin with). 

Albert Breer had this tidbit in his article today.   There isn't a general consensus rankings of OT and WR this year. All the draft experts and media have different rankings of the players. I read that Denver really likes Ruggs.  We can also trade down.  It's going to be an interesting draft. 

ttps://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/30/wild-card-weekend-tripleheaders-draft-prospects

The consensus continues to be that Alabama’s Jerry Jeudy and Oklahoma’s CeeDee Lamb are the draft’s two receivers most capable of being true No. 1s, and most probable to go first and second, in some order. But I wouldn’t rule out Jeudy’s Bama teammate Henry Ruggs sneaking past one or both of them. He’s emerged as a real wild card in the process, and is helped by the Chiefs’ success with a smaller, jet-quick receiver as their No. 1, in Tyreek Hill. In case you missed it, Ruggs ran 4.27 in Indy. And I’d heard he was disappointed with the time, which actually makes sense if you look and see his start wasn’t perfect

59 minutes ago, Lil O said:

I hear what you are saying.  I haven’t personally watched these top WRs, and I am just going on highlights and articles.  But someone posted earlier something that showed that Ruggs actually runs a lot of routes and runs them well.  Again just going on what I am reading.  However I will say some people have compared them to Steve Smith… I would love to have a guy like that on our team. One way or another we are going to draft a quality wide receiver.

I can't find it now, but this article advocating Ruggs over Jeudy for the Raiders references it:

https://silverandblacktoday.com/2020/03/13/henry-ruggs-iii-instead-of-lamb-or-jeudy-should-be-raiders-move-in-first-round/

According to some great analytics insight from Pro Football Focus’ Timo Riske, Ruggs offers a more consistent and explosive deep threat compared to, for example, his teammate Jeudy.

According to the attack zone heat maps below, Ruggs (left – red area) lined up primarily on the right side of the field and attacked outside the hash marks far more frequently than Jerry Jeudy (right) did. Both charts show excellent performance by both players outside the hash marks but with Ruggs more consistent further downfield.

Riske is clear when he mentions Jeudy was lined up mostly in the slot last year at Alabama while Ruggs lined up to the right, outside, most of the time. And while the advantage could be defined as slight, Ruggs’ hands are undoubtedly the best in the NFL Draft and his ability to go vertical seems to give him the edge over Jeudy.

While Henry Ruggs III is considered a bit undersized, he can take a beating and his overall body strength is underrated. Watching film of Ruggs, he often sheds tackles or bounces tacklers often. He’s excellent at breaking tackles and creates yards after the catch because of it.

These Stephen Hill comparisons are super lazy.  Done by those that look at the fast combine time and treat the guy like a "workout warrior."  Ruggs had about double the college production of Hill.  Don't act like he just showed up because of the combine.  Everybody knew he was going to run fast and he probably ran slower than expected.

image.png

36 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I can't find it now, but this article advocating Ruggs over Jeudy for the Raiders references it:

https://silverandblacktoday.com/2020/03/13/henry-ruggs-iii-instead-of-lamb-or-jeudy-should-be-raiders-move-in-first-round/

These Stephen Hill comparisons are super lazy.  Done by those that look at the fast combine time and treat the guy like a "workout warrior."  Ruggs had about double the college production of Hill.  Don't act like he just showed up because of the combine.  Everybody knew he was going to run fast and he probably ran slower than expected.

image.png

Ruggs most certainly did not "double" the production of Hill throughout their final NCAA season and had just about identical numbers during their final year before entering the draft. 

S. Hill 2011: 28 receptions, 820 receiving yards, 29.3 yards per reception and 5 TD receptions. 

Ruggs 2019: 40 receptions, 746 receiving yards, 18.7 yards per reception and 7 TD receptions. 

I'm sorry but these types of super fast and straight line speed receivers who are nothing more than glorified speed demons coming out of college scare the crap out of me come an NFL level. 

Jeudy 2019: 77 receptions, 1,163 receiving yards, 15.1 yards per reception and 10 TD receptions.

CeeDee 2019: 62 receptions, 1,327 receiving yards, 21.4 yards per reception and 14 TD receptions. 

Give me Jeudy or Lamb as a real #1 option for Darnold (who doesn't even have a great deep ball to BEGIN WITH) and good luck to the team who drafts a raw PROJECT in Ruggs; because I do not want him @ 11th overall. 

7 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Ruggs most certainly did not "double" the production of Hill throughout their final NCAA season and had just about identical numbers during their final year before entering the draft. 

S. Hill 2011: 28 receptions, 820 receiving yards, 29.3 yards per reception and 5 TD receptions. 

Ruggs 2019: 40 receptions, 746 receiving yards, 18.7 yards per reception and 7 TD receptions. 

I'm sorry but these types of super fast and straight line speed receivers who are nothing more than glorified speed demons coming out of college scare the crap out of me come an NFL level. 

Jeudy 2019: 77 receptions, 1,163 receiving yards, 15.1 yards per reception and 10 TD receptions.

CeeDee 2019: 62 receptions, 1,327 receiving yards, 21.4 yards per reception and 14 TD receptions. 

Give me Jeudy or Lamb as a real #1 option and good luck to the team who drafts a raw PROJECT in Ruggs. 

Neither of these things is true, so there isn't much reason to worry. 

Hill 48 1248/9

Ruggs 98 1716/24 

Double the catches, 1/3 more yardage, well more than double the TDs.  Plus, he did it over 3 years.  Hill's senior year averaging 30ypc was an eye opener, but he certainly hadn't proved as much as Ruggs who several respected analysts claim has the best hands in the class.

I certainly understand feeling more comfortable with Jeudy or Lamb, but dismissing Ruggs as a 1 trick pony because Hill failed is ridiculous.  Read the Raiders piece I posted. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

47 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Neither of these things is true, so there isn't much reason to worry. 

Yes. It's all true. 

And I have every right to worry about Ruggs not only disappearing throughout seasonal stretches but also before disappearing during big games too.

Ruggs (only) has a career high of 6 catches in a game along with a whole lot more games (past two years) consisting of disappointing acts such as...

1 catch, 1 catch, 2 catches, 3 catches, 3 catches, 3 catches, 3 catches, 3 catches, 3 catches, 1 catch, 1 catch, 2 catches, 2 catches, 3 catches, 3 catches etc, etc. 

Types of disappearing acts throughout (multiple) games. 

2 Bowl Games/1 Championship Game:(combined vs. Oklahoma/Clemson/Michigan); 

Ruggs: 6 catches, 44 receiving yards and only 1 TD reception (disappearing acts during 3 constructive bowl games). 

Jeudy: 15 catches for 416 receiving yards and 3 TD receptions (game changer who stole the show during his bowl games). 

Only an idiot would ever draft Ruggs over Jerry Jeudy and that idiot would deserve to be fired immediately.

But where oh where was your little Henry Ruggs aka a media driven speed hype machine @? Only 2 catches, 27 yards and 0 TD's? (lol) 

Compared to Jerry Jeudy who put up 6 receptions/204 receiving yards/1 TD reception and the Citrus Bowl MVP!

• Upvote 1

I hate this thread title. 

• How "dynamic" was Ruggs during his 3 bowl games vs. Clemson, Oklahoma and Michigan while pulling off nothing but back-to-back-to-back (3 consecutive) disappearing acts?

Ruggs (x3): Only 6 receptions for only 44 receiving yards and only 1 TD reception (disappearing acts)

Jeudy (x3): 15 catches for 416 receiving yards and 3 TD receptions (stole the show). 

It's just funny how these Ruggs fans have yet to discuss his disappearing acts - while raving about his "40 yard dash speed @ the combine"... 

• And what about their very last NCAA performances during the citrus bowl before entering the NFL draft?

No talk about it from the Henry Ruggs camp?

Crickets?

Ruggs: Only 2 receptions for only 27 receiving yards and only 0 TD receptions (disappearing act). 

Jeudy: 6 receptions for 204 receiving yards and 1 TD reception (Citrus Bowl M.V.P). 

"40 YARD COMBINE SPEED". "SO DYNAMIC".

Still a disappearing act. 

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Robby emerged out of nowhere during a meaningless preseason game with Bryce Petty as his QB as an undrafted walk-on and went on to sign a contract worth $20,000,000 (over 2 years) - while Ruggs has yet to catch an NFL pass. Big difference there. 

And his Ruggs/Stephen Hill example was spot on. Both WR's coming out of college were/are unpolished route runners, extremely raw and used straight line speed in college. 

Give me either Jeudy or CeeDee; I don't want Ruggs (as Perriman is just as fast to begin with). 

This just tells me you've never watched Ruggs play.  You're wrong,  go watch some film.

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I hate this thread title. 

• How "dynamic" was Ruggs during his 3 bowl games vs. Clemson, Oklahoma and Michigan while pulling off nothing but back-to-back-to-back (3 consecutive) disappearing acts?

Ruggs (x3): Only 6 receptions for only 44 receiving yards and only 1 TD reception (disappearing acts)

Jeudy (x3): 15 catches for 416 receiving yards and 3 TD receptions (stole the show). 

It's just funny how these Ruggs fans have yet to discuss his disappearing acts - while raving about his "40 yard dash speed @ the combine"... 

• And what about their very last NCAA performances during the citrus bowl before entering the NFL draft?

No talk about it from the Henry Ruggs camp?

Crickets?

Ruggs: Only 2 receptions for only 27 receiving yards and only 0 TD receptions (disappearing act). 

Jeudy: 6 receptions for 204 receiving yards and 1 TD reception (Citrus Bowl M.V.P). 

"40 YARD COMBINE SPEED". "SO DYNAMIC".

Still a disappearing 

You don't get drafted into the NFL bc of your stats. Stats are meaningless  You get drafted bc of your skill level and your projected skill level in the NFL.  For some teams, like the Patriots and their style of offense they'll value the supreme route running of Jeudy. For a team like the Jets it seems Gase wants guys who can run a 5 yard slant or screen and can take it to the house. That's why Ruggs is a fit and a guy like Robby wasn't. 

Also Ruggs typically had the #1 CB on him bc he primarily worked outside,  Jeudy worked in the slot primarily against lesser defenders.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Yes. It's all true. 

And I have every right to worry about Ruggs not only disappearing throughout seasonal stretches but also before disappearing during big games too.

Ruggs (only) has a career high of 6 catches in a game along with a whole lot more games (past two years) consisting of disappointing acts such as...

1 catch, 1 catch, 2 catches, 3 catches, 3 catches, 3 catches, 3 catches, 3 catches, 3 catches, 1 catch, 1 catch, 2 catches, 2 catches, 3 catches, 3 catches etc, etc. 

Types of disappearing acts throughout (multiple) games. 

2 Bowl Games/1 Championship Game:(combined vs. Oklahoma/Clemson/Michigan); 

Ruggs: 6 catches, 44 receiving yards and only 1 TD reception (disappearing acts during 3 constructive bowl games). 

Jeudy: 15 catches for 416 receiving yards and 3 TD receptions (game changer who stole the show during his bowl games). 

Only an idiot would ever draft Ruggs over Jerry Jeudy and that idiot would deserve to be fired immediately.

But where oh where was your little Henry Ruggs aka a media driven speed hype machine @? Only 2 catches, 27 yards and 0 TD's? (lol) 

Compared to Jerry Jeudy who put up 6 receptions/204 receiving yards/1 TD reception and the Citrus Bowl MVP!

Either you can't or didn't read my post, so I am out.  Believe what you want.  

I will add these two comments:  Didn't need the pictures and LOL at you complaining about a thread title. 

• Upvote 2