JetNation Prospect Profile: Alabama Tackle Jedrick Wills Jr.

Wills-Combine.jpg

Jedrick Wills Jr.

Offensive Tackle, Alabama, SEC

Measurables/Age:

• Height: 6’4 ¼”
  • Weight: 312 lbs
  • Hand Size: 10”
  • Arm Size: 34 ¼”
  • Wingspan: 83 ½”

Stats:

• 2017: 11 games
  • 2018: 15 games, 1 hit, 1 sack
  • 2019: 15 games, 714 snaps, 3.5 hurries, 1 sack

Awards/Accolades:

2019:

• First Team All-SEC

Injuries:

April 6th, 2019 – high ankle sprain in spring scrimmage, no structural damage or surgery.

2020 NFL Combine (Rank amongst OTs):

• 40-yard Dash: 5.05 (T-6th)
  • 3-Cone Drill: N/A
  • Vertical Jump: 34.5” (2nd)
  • Broad Jump: 113” (T-5th)
  • Bench Press: N/A

Film Room:

Best Game:

Pass Blocking – Auburn (2019)

Worst Game:

Pass Blocking – Mississippi State (2018)

Strengths:

• Great Power
  • Strong Hands in Pass Pro
  • Footwork
  • Climbs defenders out of Pocket
  • Solid at 2nd level contact

Weaknesses:

• Gets Lost when Pulling
  • Relies on Hands
  • While Quick, Lacks Speed

Draft Value/Grade:

• Ranking: Top 5-10 prospect, OT1
  • Grade: 6.79 (Year 1 Quality Starter)
  • Scheme: Man Blocking

Jedrick Wills made a total of 28 career starts for the Crimson Tide, including 27 straight. He played every game at right tackle, protecting quarterback Tua Tagovailoa’s blindside. During his breakout junior season in Alabama, Wills played a total of 714 snaps, allowing only one sack. One of Wills’ best traits is his hands in pass protection, and he probably has the strongest hands of all the linemen in the class, something he proved at the combine during individual drills.

https://twitter.com/FTBeard1/status/1233542719387009024?s=20

Wills has a quick first step, even if he lacks overall speed, and while speed isn’t the “be all end all” for big men in the trenches, his 10-yard split of 1.81 is right where it needs to be. He is the true definition of a mauler, bullying most defenders that get in his way.

https://twitter.com/NFL_ChrisReiss/status/1233535574755217414?s=20

https://twitter.com/dvillionaire/status/1224525791834361856?s=20

Throughout the draft process, Wills has been pegged as OT1 on many big boards. Although a lot of buzz has surrounded Tristan Wirfs and Mekhi Becton following their performances in Indianapolis, Wills could still be the first offensive lineman selected in April. Could the Jets get lucky and have another top prospect fall to them in the first round? The choice is an almost no-brainer at 11 for New York. Even if he plays on the right side for a year or two, he will transition well to the left side as Sam Darnold’s blindside blocker.

The post JetNation Prospect Profile: Alabama Tackle Jedrick Wills Jr. appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
xFiiD2g8mLY

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 3

This is what scouts said about him in a story by the Athletic. Bedrock Wills, Alabama (6-4, 312):Teams have had marginal success drafting Crimson Tide offensive linemen during the Nick Saban era. “We weren’t as firm on him as some of the other ones,” one scout said in reference to the other leading tackles in the draft. “He’s a pretty good athlete. Pretty strong. Shows some nasty. He played right tackle there but he looked like he can play left tackle.” One scout brought up Jonah Williams, the Alabama left tackle in 2017 and 2018 who was the 11th pick last year. “Jonah Williams is an all-star compared to this guy,” he said. “Awful. He’s upright. He’s a stiff guy.” He ran 5.06 seconds. “I’m not crazy about him but people love him,” said a third scout. “Every time I watched him, I didn’t see a really good athlete. Worked out well. I just don’t see the movement, finish, talent of a first-rounder. I do not think he could play left tackle.”

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 1

Who really cares if he can move to the left?

Hopefully some other team cares to much about the whole left v right tackle distinction and lets this guy drop. In this league you need two tackles that can operate on an island with regularity. 

We draft Wills and we'll have a top five RT for a decade. Sounds good to me. 

of the big 4, Wills is 4th on my board ... purely for Jets scheme 

he's about 2 inches smaller than the "minimum" for Gase (there's a OL on the roster Corbin Kaufusi listed at 6'9")

and JD hates penalties (watch the Iron bowl last year to watch Wills mess his britches)

in a man zone RT he's probably a bruiser

the Jets system doesn't know how to use these players. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, JetNation said:

Wills-Combine.jpg

Jedrick Wills Jr.

Offensive Tackle, Alabama, SEC

Measurables/Age:

• Height: 6’4 ¼”
  • Weight: 312 lbs
  • Hand Size: 10”
  • Arm Size: 34 ¼”
  • Wingspan: 83 ½”

Stats:

• 2017: 11 games
  • 2018: 15 games, 1 hit, 1 sack
  • 2019: 15 games, 714 snaps, 3.5 hurries, 1 sack

Awards/Accolades:

2019:

• First Team All-SEC

Injuries:

April 6th, 2019 – high ankle sprain in spring scrimmage, no structural damage or surgery.

2020 NFL Combine (Rank amongst OTs):

• 40-yard Dash: 5.05 (T-6th)
  • 3-Cone Drill: N/A
  • Vertical Jump: 34.5” (2nd)
  • Broad Jump: 113” (T-5th)
  • Bench Press: N/A

Film Room:

Best Game:

Pass Blocking – Auburn (2019)

Worst Game:

Pass Blocking – Mississippi State (2018)

Strengths:

• Great Power
  • Strong Hands in Pass Pro
  • Footwork
  • Climbs defenders out of Pocket
  • Solid at 2nd level contact

Weaknesses:

• Gets Lost when Pulling
  • Relies on Hands
  • While Quick, Lacks Speed

Draft Value/Grade:

• Ranking: Top 5-10 prospect, OT1
  • Grade: 6.79 (Year 1 Quality Starter)
  • Scheme: Man Blocking

Jedrick Wills made a total of 28 career starts for the Crimson Tide, including 27 straight. He played every game at right tackle, protecting quarterback Tua Tagovailoa’s blindside. During his breakout junior season in Alabama, Wills played a total of 714 snaps, allowing only one sack. One of Wills’ best traits is his hands in pass protection, and he probably has the strongest hands of all the linemen in the class, something he proved at the combine during individual drills.

https://twitter.com/FTBeard1/status/1233542719387009024?s=20

Wills has a quick first step, even if he lacks overall speed, and while speed isn’t the “be all end all” for big men in the trenches, his 10-yard split of 1.81 is right where it needs to be. He is the true definition of a mauler, bullying most defenders that get in his way.

https://twitter.com/NFL_ChrisReiss/status/1233535574755217414?s=20

https://twitter.com/dvillionaire/status/1224525791834361856?s=20

Throughout the draft process, Wills has been pegged as OT1 on many big boards. Although a lot of buzz has surrounded Tristan Wirfs and Mekhi Becton following their performances in Indianapolis, Wills could still be the first offensive lineman selected in April. Could the Jets get lucky and have another top prospect fall to them in the first round? The choice is an almost no-brainer at 11 for New York. Even if he plays on the right side for a year or two, he will transition well to the left side as Sam Darnold’s blindside blocker.

The post JetNation Prospect Profile: Alabama Tackle Jedrick Wills Jr. appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

xFiiD2g8mLY

Click here to read the full story...

Wills is the One I want.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Who really cares if he can move to the left?

I do.  There's a reason the median starting LT makes $11.5M per season while the median RT makes only $6M.  You say you'd be cool with a top 5 RT at the 11th pick.  The 5th-highest paid RT makes a little over $11M while the # 5 LT makes $14.5M. 

That's a pretty large gap in value.  If we're taking an OT at # 11, it's with the expectation that we have a future LT on the team.  Otherwise might as well take the top WR on our board or trade down.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I do.  There's a reason the median starting LT makes $11.5M per season while the median RT makes only $6M.  You say you'd be cool with a top 5 RT at the 11th pick.  The 5th-highest paid RT makes a little over $11M while the # 5 LT makes $14.5M. 

That's a pretty large gap in value.  If we're taking an OT at # 11, it's with the expectation that we have a future LT on the team.  Otherwise might as well take the top WR on our board or trade down.

Yea I disagree completely. If anything, all those numbers show is that good RT’s are closing the gap. 

Both tackles need to be able to pass block on an island. The days of left tackle primacy are waning. 

FWIW, Von Miller, Khalil Mack, JJ Watt, and TJ Watt all line up over the RT. 

I think it’s a huge mistake to worry about left v right and far more important to simply pick a good tackle that can survive 1 on 1 against good edge players. 

Wills has elite potential as a pass blocker from the right side and is the most pro-ready, IMO. I don’t care about the rest.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Yea I disagree completely. If anything, all those numbers show is that good RT’s are closing the gap. 

Both tackles need to be able to pass block on an island. The days of left tackle primacy are waning. 

the tight end almost always lines up power side and the power side is almost always the right. The TE can be max protected into help block but even if they run a route it helps the RT having that extra body there. barring 2 TE, one side is always going to be wide open \

in other words LT are always on an island no help coming, it's a harder job and that's why they get paid more 

You'll see teams move their TE to the left side when their tackle goes down (SF did this with Joe Staley/George Kittle last season) or if their QB is left handed 

• Upvote 1

purely aesthetic reasons but why in God's name is a lineman running drills with metal Jewelry on? the more I look at this picture the less I want the Jets to draft Wills. 

Thomas, Becton and Wirfs all ran without accessories. Like a little rubber wristband maybe but where did he think he was going that morning when he got dressed? Like the scouts would be like "Hey dude, nice earrings." 

that stuff flies on DB day. He's not Deion Sanders he's an offensive lineman

/rant 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the tight end almost always lines up power side and the power side is almost always the right. The TE can be max protected into help block but even if they run a route it helps the RT having that extra body there. barring 2 TE, one side is always going to be wide open \

in other words LT are always on an island no help coming, it's a harder job and that's why they get paid more 

You'll see teams move their TE to the left side when their tackle goes down (SF did this with Joe Staley/George Kittle last season) or if their QB is left handed 

But let’s go back to the original thinking of the blind-side tackle. Another reason it became valuable is the left is usually considered to be the weak side. In other words, the side away from where the tight end aligns. The thinking is that, with QBs being righthanded, tight ends most often line up on the right side. Which means right tackles have a help-blocker while left tackles are all alone.

But, in actuality, this is no longer the case. With more spread offenses, tight ends are lining up on the line of scrimmage less often. And with the preponderance of quick-strike throws, the immediate spacing of the formation becomes more significant. The strength of your formation is not usually determined by right and left, but rather, by where the ball is spotted. If it’s on the left hashmark, your formation is likely to have more bodies on the right, where there’s more field space. If the ball is on the right hash, there’s more field space to the left. The strength of the formation is likely to go there.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/31/nfl-left-tackles-michael-lewis-blindside-right-tackles-left-defensive-ends

Back in 2012, Pro Football Focus looked extensively at how quarterback performance changed under pressure from each side, and they found that quarterbacks generally perform worse when pressure comes from the right side. Intuitively, it would seem that quarterbacks would be better prepared to adjust when pressure isn't coming from their blind side, but the numbers don't support that.

Based on their 2012 data, pressure from the right side resulted in sacks slightly more often than pressure from the left side. Pressure from the right side ended in a sack 17.3 percent of the time, while pressure from the left culminated in sacks 15.5 percent of the time.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/6/28/11641306/nfl-right-tackle-vs-left-tackle-scheme-salary

So while the markets haven't quite caught up yet, I think the reality justifies an elite RT at pick 11. 

By the way if we were re-drafting that 2017 draft, excluding Mahomes of course, the next player I'd want in place of Adams @ 6 overall is Ramczyk. 

For me at least, I'm far more comfortable taking a chance on Fant knowing I have full confidence in the other tackle. 

26 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/31/nfl-left-tackles-michael-lewis-blindside-right-tackles-left-defensive-ends

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/6/28/11641306/nfl-right-tackle-vs-left-tackle-scheme-salary

So while the markets haven't quite caught up yet, I think the reality justifies an elite RT at pick 11. 

By the way if we were re-drafting that 2017 draft, excluding Mahomes of course, the next player I'd want in place of Adams @ 6 overall is Ramczyk. 

For me at least, I'm far more comfortable taking a chance on Fant knowing I have full confidence in the other tackle. 

the markets are almost perfect tho - people's prices are what they are

Greg Van Roten can be the grittiest dude in Gritsville, NY... he's worth 3.5 million. 

I agree that spreads and tight ends are going out more. Kliff Kingsbury doesn't care. But in general the right tackles are used to having the tight end there and the coaches are used to putting them there. 

and for whatever reason some guys Lane Johnson for example are an absolute disaster playing on the left side. Some guys can ONLY be RT and that lack of versatility hurts their value. 

Meanwhile guys like Beachum or Dbrick I can't imagine them at RT, even in 2020. There's a certain level of nastiness valued in that Power tackle. 

Maybe it's like left handed pitchers not only are you on an island (like RT is on an island) but everything is also backward. I don't know why the markets are what they are but to assume you (or anyone) knows better than the market is an awful big assumption. 

Left tackles have value because finding them for whatever reason is harder to do. Supply and Demand. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Greg Van Roten can be the grittiest dude in Gritsville, NY... he's worth 3.5 million. 

I agree that spreads and tight ends are going out more. Kliff Kingsbury doesn't care. But in general the right tackles are used to having the tight end there and the coaches are used to putting them there. 

and for whatever reason some guys Lane Johnson for example are an absolute disaster playing on the left side. Some guys can ONLY be RT and that lack of versatility hurts their value. 

Meanwhile guys like Beachum or Dbrick I can't imagine them at RT, even in 2020. There's a certain level of nastiness valued in that Power tackle. 

Maybe it's like left handed pitchers not only are you on an island (like RT is on an island) but everything is also backward. I don't know why the markets are what they are but to assume you (or anyone) knows better than the market is an awful big assumption. 

Left tackles have value because finding them for whatever reason is harder to do. Supply and Demand. 

Exactly.  There's a reason LT's can be moved to RT but rarely does it work out well the other way around.  You HAVE to have a solid LT, and that LT simply HAS to be a good pass-blocker.

RT's can be excellent run blockers but mediocre or below average pass blockers and still carve out great careers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  There's a reason LT's can be moved to RT but rarely does it work out well the other way around.  You HAVE to have a solid LT, and that LT simply HAS to be a good pass-blocker.

RT's can be excellent run blockers but mediocre or below average pass blockers and still carve out great careers.

I think you’re both stuck in an older mode of thinking. Did you see the pro football focus data about pressures/sacks I posted - the right side actually produces a higher rate of sacks on pressures than the left and the qb actually performs better when the pressure is on the left? 

The blindside theory doesn’t hold much water anymore. 

Both sides need to pass block on an island and both are extremely important. 

• Upvote 3

On 3/29/2020 at 11:35 AM, PepPep said:

I'm not a scout but from watching tape on Wills I love everything about him and I don't see why he can't move over to the left side.  

He can but seeing as he’s the most likely to drop to 11 it’s a good idea to sign Beachum or Peters, have Wills start at RT in ‘20 then move to LT in ‘21

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I think you’re both stuck in an older mode of thinking. Did you see the pro football focus data about pressures/sacks I posted - the right side actually produces a higher rate of sacks on pressures than the left? 

The blindside theory doesn’t hold much water anymore. 

Both sides need to pass block on an island and both are extremely important. 

That’s because a lot of the big time pass rushers now line up at Left DE

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

That’s because a lot of the big time pass rushers now line up at Left DE

The data was from 2012, but if even more are lining up on the right side of the field (from the offensive POV), then right tackle is more important and more akin to left tackle than before. 

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Jets fans do because the team currently doesn’t have a Left Tackle

George Fant is the left tackle right now. That’s what he was signed for. 

Good conversation on this thread about the value of LT & RT and how they relate to each other.  After reading the above, I would concede that LT is still more valuable than RT purely for the reason that it seems rarer for any T to move from Right to Left than Left to Right.  

BUT... I completely agree that in this new NFL, RT has become a premium position and is well on its way to nearly equalizing pay to LTs.  It is no longer the case that you "dont take RTs in the 1st round or in the top 10." You need two excellent tackles in this league to run a consistent top 10 offense. 

Premium Offensive postions in order: QB, LT, RT, Offensive weapon.  

I would rather have two excellent T with my QB than one excellent tackle and one excellent offensive weapon.  Give a good Qb time and confidence and they will make 2nd and 3rd round WRs and RBs look great.  Take away a good QBs time and confidence and I dont care if you Julio Jones out there - the offense will be inconsistent and mediocre with occasional big plays.  

LT and RT are critical to a high-functioning offense and I would be happy with either one for the Jets at 11.  I want our best unit on our team to be our o-line.   I want that as our identity.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

which side produces more sacks, period? 

I don't know the answer to that. 

But if you can cite a good source; bring it forward. Although that Pro Football Focus stat I cited brought context about pressures v sacks and illustrates which side causes more problems for quarterbacks, although they were pretty close to being equal - but that's my point. We shouldn't be valuing one over the other. 

Besides, whether it's the Eagles, the Steelers, the Saints, all teams that routinely sit atop overall offensive line grades, they each have two good tackles.

We could even throw in the Chiefs with Fisher/Schwartz, and the Colts with Costanzo/Smith as B tier groups. 

The idea that we can just throw Fant and Chuma out there is horrifying to me. Forget Wills for the moment; we need upgrades (more insurance on Fant than an upgrade, because he could conceivable be a steal) at both spots, and we should be prepared for that eventuality and not get too caught up in "well, this guy is a right tackle so we'll pass on him for a receiver". 

Especially considering how deep this draft is at receiver and how top-heavy this draft is at tackle. There's a very realistic scenario in which 6 tackles are taken in the first. And there's over a dozen good WR prospects in this draft. We should be looking at tackle at 11 regardless of right or left, and I'm open to moving up or sliding down to position ourselves for that tackle.

Things can change if we signed Peters or moved for Trent, but until that happens, we need to prioritize the offensive tackle position, regardless of right or left. 

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think I want to be done taking Alabama players in the first round which is why I'd rather trade down and grab additional picks if Thomas or Wirfs is not on the board at 11. Haven't we seen that experiment enough in the last 5-10 years. My wife is a huge Alabama fan and would kill me, but I'm done with that team. Plus, I don't trust Sabin to give us an accurate report on any of his players as long as Bellicheat is still in our division. 

48 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The idea that we can just throw Fant and Chuma out there is horrifying to me.  

The idea that the Jets can just throw Crowder, Perriman and Quincy (?) out there is possibly more horrifying 

they will get help for the line but it's possible everyone's underrating George Fant. The WR need is actually worse. 

speaking of Trent Williams, if the Dolphins trade for him then I'll agree they are probably out of the OT game at 5. but then again they need 2 tackles too, 

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

He can but seeing as he’s the most likely to drop to 11 it’s a good idea to sign Beachum or Peters, have Wills start at RT in ‘20 then move to LT in ‘21

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Jets fans do because the team currently doesn’t have a Left Tackle

You can hate the move, but Fant is here and that is why.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

The idea that the Jets can just throw Crowder, Perriman and Quincy (?) out there is possibly more horrifying 

they will get help for the line but it's possible everyone's underrating George Fant. The WR need is actually worse. 

speaking of Trent Williams, if the Dolphins trade for him then I'll agree they are probably out of the OT game at 5. but then again they need 2 tackles too, 

There’s a ton of WR’s to be had in rounds 2-3 and we've got three picks in those two rounds. 

There’s a huge drop-off in tackles outside the first round. 

We’ll see about Fant. 

I’d much prefer Thomas or Wills in round 1, pickup a receiver or two in the second and third rounds of the draft. 

That’s where the value is for each respective position. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/29/2020 at 11:28 AM, BroadwayRay said:

The consensus group of top offensive tackles in this year’s draft consists of Tristan Wirfs, Andrew Thomas, Jedrick Wills, and Mekhi Becton. NFL draft analyst, Lance Zierlen, has each of them highly graded, according to his scale, which spans from 5.0-8.0.

• Andrew Thomas- 6.49
  • Tristan Wirfs- 6.48
  • Mekhi Becton- 6.74
  • Jedrick Wills- 6.85

This puts each of them in a category of “year 1 quality starter”, or just below it. Jonah Williamsearned a grade of 6.70, which would make him the third offensive tackle prospect in this class, all things being equal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/stripehype.com/2020/03/07/jonah-williams-compares-2020-o-line-prospects/amp/

16 minutes ago, Young Jetty said:

The consensus group of top offensive tackles in this year’s draft consists of Tristan Wirfs, Andrew Thomas, Jedrick Wills, and Mekhi Becton. NFL draft analyst, Lance Zierlen, has each of them highly graded, according to his scale, which spans from 5.0-8.0.

• Andrew Thomas- 6.49
  • Tristan Wirfs- 6.48
  • Mekhi Becton- 6.74
  • Jedrick Wills- 6.85

This puts each of them in a category of “year 1 quality starter”, or just below it. Jonah Williamsearned a grade of 6.70, which would make him the third offensive tackle prospect in this class, all things being equal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/stripehype.com/2020/03/07/jonah-williams-compares-2020-o-line-prospects/amp/

I'm one of the biggest critics regarding drafting Bama OL. Chance Warmack was the only one I warmed up to and he was a total bust. There's isn't any NFL team who has that Bama offensive philosophy of grounding and pounding the football with maulers up front. With the passing game being dictated on their run first approach. That's why when placed in a pass heavy league they get exposed.

With Tau and the several receiving prospects, they've really change things up. Wills is a big part of that as he's not your traditional Bama OT, especially RT. He really excels in pass pro unlike the rest. Look at Bama's LT Leatherwood. Big, muscular, stiff and exposed in pass pro. 

So Wills is the real deal. He seems like a Giants type of pick. If not the them then the Cardinals make sense.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The data was from 2012, but if even more are lining up on the right side of the field (from the offensive POV), then right tackle is more important and more akin to left tackle than before. 

George Fant is the left tackle right now. That’s what he was signed for. 

1. Blind side protection is still the priority because the QB can’t simply get rid of the ball to protect himself

2. God I hope not.