Jets current cap space, looking ahead to 2021

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You listed 11 players total and 2 do not yet exist.  2 are lower level TEs and one will be getting transition tag money on the 5th year option.  Desir is a 30 year old CB that probably already started his decline.  The roster make-up is fairly ugly.  People are looking to cut some of our better players under contract for cap space.

I listed 11 starters, that doesn't account for any FAs we signed nor does it count for any draft picks outside of the top 2 picks. There are obviously more players on the roster that could elevate their play as well, not to mention the entire 2021 draft class as well. I think you are looking at this a little too pessimistically.

Our success or failure will be riding on Douglas' drafting over the next 2 years, if he wiffs then we are bad.

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I listed 11 starters, that doesn't account for any FAs we signed nor does it count for any draft picks outside of the top 2 picks. There are obviously more players on the roster that could elevate their play as well, not to mention the entire 2021 draft class as well. I think you are looking at this a little too pessimistically.

Our success or failure will be riding on Douglas' drafting over the next 2 years, if he wiffs then we are bad.

11 starters?  You listed 2 tight ends and 2 draft picks.  You going to be crowing about JJ Arciega Whiteside and Winston Justice and playing 2 TE sets? 

Look, I don't disagree with you in principle.  I just think that the entire league signed guys on 1 year deals.  Players were receptive because they think 2021 is when there will be the big pay days.  Everyone is going to have cap space.  I like what Douglas is doing.  I am not pessimistic about it.  I am just not sitting here thinking that we will have all this cap space to load up in 2021, just like we couldn't get Conklin or Anderson this year, or Cousins and Barr.  I like what he has done, but basically all he has done is not **** up.

57 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I’ve become more and more open to trading back, but as we’ve seen in the past, takes two to tango. 

I think the scenario that lights up a tradedown possibility is as follows:

1. The OTs that Douglas wants most at #11 (probably Wills, Wirfs...maybe Thomas, possibly Becton) have already been taken

2. A valuable, Top 5-8 player at a position the Jets do not need is available (one of the QBs, Isaiah Simmons, DT Brown, etc.) and is very appetizing to a team behind us.

It's purely a guess but I'd think Joe Douglas would prefer getting OT Josh Jones in the early 20's and a WR like Brandon Aiyuk or Jalen Reagor late in Round 2 rather than just getting one Andrew Thomas at #11.  He'd also still have the #48.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I think the scenario that lights up a tradedown possibility is as follows:

1. The OTs that Douglas wants most at #11 (probably Wills, Wirfs...maybe Thomas, possibly Becton) have already been taken

2. A valuable, Top 5-8 player at a position the Jets do not need is available (one of the QBs, Isaiah Simmons, DT Brown, etc.) and is very appetizing to a team behind us.

It's purely a guess but I'd think Joe Douglas would prefer getting OT Josh Jones in the early 20's and a WR like Brandon Aiyuk or Jalen Reagor late in Round 2 rather than just getting one Andrew Thomas at #11.  He'd also still have the #48.

Considering the amount of holes the Jets have on this roster, I definitely wouldn’t mind trading back. Very intriguing. I do think however if 1 of the top 4 OT’s are there, Douglas probably takes him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Mike135 said:

They should have saved all the cap space from this year.

Kinda dumb spending near the limit when we might not have a season.

I think the nfl plays games without a crowd

Way too much tv money at stake plus with everyone staying home the ratings will be monstrous 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mike135 said:

They should have saved all the cap space from this year.

Kinda dumb spending near the limit when we might not have a season.

Yeah he definitely shouldn;t have spent big on all those marquee guys.  What was he thinking? ;-) 

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

The Jets currently have about 10 million left in cap space, they’ll add 11 million post June 1st by releasing Trumaine. When factoring in rookie deals, looks like the Jets could be done adding through pro FA, unless they release Winters and Williamson freeing up around 13 million. As far as 2021 goes, Jets are currently estimated to have over 80(!) million in cap space, not including if they decide to move on from Bell, saving close to 12 million more, putting us over 90 million. This is definitely a product of all of these 1 year deals, Douglas has set the cap situation up quite nicely for the year ahead.

I think considering the Jets signed/resigned so much OG and ILB depth there is a good chance both Winters and Williamson will get released (traded but unlikely) after the draft.  

Unless Bell has a huge year production wise, I think the Jets will cut him next year when the cap penalty falls to 4mil. I will say, however, that odds are he will have a major uptick in production. So yeah, we're going to be in a position with a ton of cap space but on the other hand, we are going to have a lot of our own free agents, just like this year, a lot of our own guys to resign who JD signed to 1 year deals the year before, who will want a nice pay raise if they played well. Just keep that in mind. But yeah, the flexibility is always good.  

The key however, is to nail the draft. 

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Last time a GM had a plan  this good, he had one of the most epically bad drafts in ages, got fired and then next guy reaped the rewards for fiscal prudence.

Joe Douglas will be a good or bad GM around May 1st.

Let's say we're playing the 1980's top video game Kung Fu. We really want to get to level 5 and beat the big boss, but we just can't seem to get there. We keep getting past the boss on level 3 and dying on level 4. So aggravating to have to start over but such is the game. 

Should we then abandon the plan that got us to and worked up to level 4? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Let's say we're playing the 1980's top video game Kung Fu. We really want to get to level 5 and beat the big boss, but we just can't seem to get there. We keep getting past the boss on level 3 and dying on level 4. So aggravating to have to start over but such is the game. 

Should we then abandon the plan that got us to and worked up to level 4? 

Damn this game!  It was so damn hard.

H2x1_WiiVC_GhostNGoblins_image1600w.jpg

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

The Jets currently have about 10 million left in cap space, they’ll add 11 million post June 1st by releasing Trumaine. When factoring in rookie deals, looks like the Jets could be done adding through pro FA, unless they release Winters and Williamson freeing up around 13 million. As far as 2021 goes, Jets are currently estimated to have over 80(!) million in cap space, not including if they decide to move on from Bell, saving close to 12 million more, putting us over 90 million. This is definitely a product of all of these 1 year deals, Douglas has set the cap situation up quite nicely for the year ahead.

I feel your cap figure is way too low. Where'd you get $10 mil?

• Upvote 1

Jets drop winters, Williamson they’re probably in the 30M range. Plus next year they drop bell, and Anderson. They’re probably closer to 130 then the 90 I saw earlier listed. Add 7-8 starters from the next 2 drafts and you realize they have a ton of cap space to add top tier talent plus extend darnold.

46 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I feel your cap figure is way too low. Where'd you get $10 mil?

35 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

That’s what I thought. I thought closer to $25 mil at this point. 

5. Tightening the belt: Cap room is becoming an issue for the Jets. While it's difficult to determine the team's exact cap position, an educated estimate puts them under $10 million. They will need about $9 million to sign their draft picks, per overthecap.com, but don't forget, they get $11 million once Trumaine Johnson's release hits the books on June 1. Basically, his ouster will provide their draft money.

From Cimini’s article on ESPN today 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

5. Tightening the belt: Cap room is becoming an issue for the Jets. While it's difficult to determine the team's exact cap position, an educated estimate puts them under $10 million. They will need about $9 million to sign their draft picks, per overthecap.com, but don't forget, they get $11 million once Trumaine Johnson's release hits the books on June 1. Basically, his ouster will provide their draft money.

Don’t forget Winters. That money gets added immediately if they need it... no?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

11 starters?  You listed 2 tight ends and 2 draft picks.  You going to be crowing about JJ Arciega Whiteside and Winston Justice and playing 2 TE sets? 

Look, I don't disagree with you in principle.  I just think that the entire league signed guys on 1 year deals.  Players were receptive because they think 2021 is when there will be the big pay days.  Everyone is going to have cap space.  I like what Douglas is doing.  I am not pessimistic about it.  I am just not sitting here thinking that we will have all this cap space to load up in 2021, just like we couldn't get Conklin or Anderson this year, or Cousins and Barr.  I like what he has done, but basically all he has done is not **** up.

I think he is going to follow Ozzie's approach. He's going to build through the draft, sign his own players and occasionally sprinkle in a big FA. The salary cap is going to increase a lot with the new TV deal, contracts won't explode without an increase to match the demands.

We have anywhere from $11 million to $23 million coming our way in the next few weeks from cuts/ trades. Money isn’t an issue. Next year we’ll have like $100 million with no one of value to re-sign except Poole, Maye and Adams. Who knows maybe we’ll be the team to commit $30 million of our cap to 2 safeties and a nickelback. This roster is a mess. 

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

The author is confused with cap spending and cash spending. Rookies are $8,444,384 in spending however $6,053,021 against the cap. Our 4th rounder doesn't count towards the cap at $701,876. Blessuan Austin (52nd) doesn't make the top 51 as well making $715k.

Round 1, Pick #11 $3,335,401 (Top 51)

Round 2, Pick #48 $1,148,340 (Top 51)

Round 3, Pick #68 $802,516 ( Top 51)

Round 3, Pick #79 $766,755 (Top 51)

---------------------- (Top 51 Cut Off)

Round 4, Pick #120 $701,876

Round 5, Pick #158 $591,636

Round 6, Pick #191 $555,591

Round 6, Pick #211 $539,269

Projected Draft Pool: $8,441,384

14 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Set up nicely?  All those one year deals mean that the Jets will, once again, have to fill almost a complete roster with free agents.  Who the hell is under contract?  Darnold, Adams on the 5th year option, the DLine, Mosley, and what? 

Jamal will be by then. LIFETIME.

Trumaines contract sucked but Quincy Enunwas cap hit for an injured player is another cap killer. 

Jets had every right fining his azz for missing that checkup when he decided to take his wife out & not even show up. Disgraceful when your getting monthly checks for $800,000 from your employer. 

Thanks again Macc, the GM that keeps on giving after his firing. 

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I honestly think it depends on the specific OT available.  Most casual fans have lumped these 4 OTs together as if they're interchangeable.  I don't believe they are to Douglas.  He might love 2 of them at #11....might be okay or meh with the 3rd depending on what other players are available and, most importantly, he could have one of these 4 OTs ranked as his 25th best player and nowhere near #11.  Thus far in FA the Jets have shown a strong desire for athletic, nimble, mobile linemen who succeed in zone blocking schemes, can get out fast and climb to the second level to pick off a linebacker, etc.  We've heard about putting pressure on defenses by spreading them out and using "wide splits" with our OLinemen.  I can't imagine that all 4 of the consensus top OTs are well-suited for that.  I think it's very possible that "second tier" OTs like Josh Jones, Matthew Peart, etc. could be a better fit even if they're not as talented or accomplished as the Thomases and Bectons people have been focused on.

It's like calling Henry Ruggs and Chase Claypool similar players because they're both WRs.  Those guys are completely different types of players.  I think the same goes for OTs.  Big strong power-blockers in a man-blocking scheme are very different from tall, athletic zone blockers who do great out in space.

I very much agree. I think it's highly likely that "the four OTs," aren't the same as Joe Douglas' top four, and guys like Jones, Peart, or Cleveland just look like they fit the OL profile they were looking at in FA. I do think Becton fits the mold, too. 

And if that is the case, I'd think trading down would be the primary objective, not just a backup plan. 

Almost everyone including myself assumed winters would be long gone; so far he’s sticking around, but yes his 8 million can come off the books rather quickly. 

If the Jets decide to take a G/C by the fourth round, Winters will really start to see the writing on the wall. Probably the #1 candidate to be asked to take a pay cut this year. 

• Upvote 1