Jets current cap space, looking ahead to 2021

14 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I honestly think it depends on the specific OT available.  Most casual fans have lumped these 4 OTs together as if they're interchangeable.  I don't believe they are to Douglas.  He might love 2 of them at #11....might be okay or meh with the 3rd depending on what other players are available and, most importantly, he could have one of these 4 OTs ranked as his 25th best player and nowhere near #11.  Thus far in FA the Jets have shown a strong desire for athletic, nimble, mobile linemen who succeed in zone blocking schemes, can get out fast and climb to the second level to pick off a linebacker, etc.  We've heard about putting pressure on defenses by spreading them out and using "wide splits" with our OLinemen.  I can't imagine that all 4 of the consensus top OTs are well-suited for that.  I think it's very possible that "second tier" OTs like Josh Jones, Matthew Peart, etc. could be a better fit even if they're not as talented or accomplished as the Thomases and Bectons people have been focused on.

It's like calling Henry Ruggs and Chase Claypool similar players because they're both WRs.  Those guys are completely different types of players.  I think the same goes for OTs.  Big strong power-blockers in a man-blocking scheme are very different from tall, athletic zone blockers who do great out in space.

I want a big strong power-blocker who is tall athletic and does great in space. Which one is that?

14 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I honestly think it depends on the specific OT available.  Most casual fans have lumped these 4 OTs together as if they're interchangeable.  I don't believe they are to Douglas.  He might love 2 of them at #11....might be okay or meh with the 3rd depending on what other players are available and, most importantly, he could have one of these 4 OTs ranked as his 25th best player and nowhere near #11.  Thus far in FA the Jets have shown a strong desire for athletic, nimble, mobile linemen who succeed in zone blocking schemes, can get out fast and climb to the second level to pick off a linebacker, etc.  We've heard about putting pressure on defenses by spreading them out and using "wide splits" with our OLinemen.  I can't imagine that all 4 of the consensus top OTs are well-suited for that.  I think it's very possible that "second tier" OTs like Josh Jones, Matthew Peart, etc. could be a better fit even if they're not as talented or accomplished as the Thomases and Bectons people have been focused on.

It's like calling Henry Ruggs and Chase Claypool similar players because they're both WRs.  Those guys are completely different types of players.  I think the same goes for OTs.  Big strong power-blockers in a man-blocking scheme are very different from tall, athletic zone blockers who do great out in space.

I must agree. The only thing I'll say is that (apart from Becton) the top 3 are pretty balanced in that they are pretty darn good at both the power game and playing in space. Wirfs, Wills and Thomas may not fit the mold of tall, lean, athletic O-linemen but they move really really well, they are great run blockers in space, and their athleticism is up there with most other OTs in the draft. This is why they are considered the top O-linemen. 

But I agree that JD may have a guy like Jones or Peart or even Cleveland up there close to equal with the top 4 so why not move down. But honestly, I doubt it. I think Wirfs, Wills, Thomas and to a lesser degree Becton (just b/c he is such a gamble) are the jewels of the draft when it comes to O-line and then there's everyone else. 

For what its worth- I really like Jones, Niang and Wanogho. Those three guys, IMO could end up being really good OTs at the next level. Wanogho in particular, because of his injury, everyone has been sleeping on. But this guy, although a bit raw, is a beast and actually fits the 'mold' of a tall, lean, super athletic LT with a basketball background who can get out in space and knock you on you arse.       

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I very much agree. I think it's highly likely that "the four OTs," aren't the same as Joe Douglas' top four, and guys like Jones, Peart, or Cleveland just look like they fit the OL profile they were looking at in FA. I do think Becton fits the mold, too. 

And if that is the case, I'd think trading down would be the primary objective, not just a backup plan. 

If the Jets decide to take a G/C by the fourth round, Winters will really start to see the writing on the wall. Probably the #1 candidate to be asked to take a pay cut this year. 

Hey @slats, I asked this general question maybe a few weeks ago on a topic but didn’t receive any feedback, but do you think the Jets signed Van Roten to play LG? Seems like he played most of his snaps at that position with Carolina. I started thinking what’s the chances it’s Van Roten at LG, Winters at RG and Lewis backing up like he did last year? Curious your thoughts on that. I know you mentioned drafting an IOL could be it for winters, but based on what I’ve seen from Douglas through interviews and now still holding on to him at least for this long, seems like he genuinely likes Winters. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Jenkins re signed with us so we won’t get a pick for him.

The whole idea is better drafting, making these patches unnecessary.

If he drafts poorly the cycle will continue.

Without a doubt we will know what we have in our new GM when we see our rookie class perform.  However, we will also see what we have when we see how the free agents he signed perform regardless of the length of their contracts.  The good news is he didn't commit to long term, high profile deals.  The even better news is, it seems the Johnson brothers did not force him to and let the football people make the football decisions.

This is the best news I've taken out of free agency.

3 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Hey @slats, I asked this general question maybe a few weeks ago on a topic but didn’t receive any feedback, but do you think the Jets signed Van Roten to play LG? Seems like he played most of his snaps at that position with Carolina. I started thinking what’s the chances it’s Van Roten at LG, Winters at RG and Lewis backing up like he did last year? Curious your thoughts on that. I know you mentioned drafting an IOL could be it for winters, but based on what I’ve seen from Douglas through interviews and now still holding on to him at least for this long, seems like he genuinely likes Winters. 

Lewis signed for more than Van Roten did. I'd think that if they were penciling in either to be the backup, it would be the one making less money. I would expect something of an open competition, with versatility being an asset. So Lewis or Van Roten demonstrating that they can play either side would be a plus. 

The Jets aren't up against the cap, so carrying Winters' salary for now doesn't hurt them. Maybe they do like him? I know I've read that he was playing hurt last year, so maybe they both appreciate that and expect him to be better this year? It's possible. It's an ugly side of the business, but I still think Winters is a primary candidate to be approached to take a pay cut before the final cuts - especially if they draft a G/C in the first few rounds. I don't expect the Jets to carry more than 9/10 OL during the season. Those numbers will be even tighter after the draft. 

fwiw: Ourlads lists Van Roten as the backup RT right now with Winters at RG, but that's probably just because the Jets only have two tackles on the roster right now. I think they're more likely to draft two OTs this year than another interior lineman. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets aren't up against the cap, so carrying Winters' salary for now doesn't hurt them. Maybe they do like him? I know I've read that he was playing hurt last year, so maybe they both appreciate that and expect him to be better this year? It's possible. It's an ugly side of the business, but I still think Winters is a primary candidate to be approached to take a pay cut before the final cuts - especially if they draft a G/C in the first few rounds. I don't expect the Jets to carry more than 9/10 OL during the season. Those numbers will be even tighter after the draft. 

In my heart, I realize they’ll both be cut as soon as I type this, but wouldn’t it be something if Douglas and Gase are rewarding both Winters and Williamson for being team-first dudes last season by not cutting them? Williamson got hurt playing deep into preseason games (presumably) to help the young guys learn the new defense, and Winters went out there every week and every practice beat to sh*t during a lost season. It’d be kind of cool if the organization is setting a culture example by not messing with their money.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

And now that Marqui Christian is out, they should re-sign Rontez immediately

I was secretly excited about the signing, spoke to a few rams friends and they said he was great on specials, but yeah Rontez would be just as good if not better, plus familiarity.   

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

The ironic thing is last year fans were mad that we overpaid for those two players.  This year we are taking a different approach and some of those same people are mad we didn’t go after the big priced free agents ? 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

How foes a 2 yr 20 million dollar deal have an annual cap of 8 million???

Base salary is $4M, his signing bonus was $8M. So he pockets $12M first season. His cap hit is 4M base + 4M from his signing bonus. The rest of his signing bonus (the other $4M), will go towards next years cap hit.

I think around $10M and then they will gain $11M when Johnson comes off the books. I dont expect another cut unless they are really going after Clowney
Quote Tweet

D_zx9eHp_normal.jpg

Mike

@MikeOC1968
· 18h
Replying to @Jason_OTC
Where do see Jets cap, actual #, after all contracts on the board are counted & predictable cuts made?

On 3/29/2020 at 12:31 PM, #27TheDominator said:

Set up nicely?  All those one year deals mean that the Jets will, once again, have to fill almost a complete roster with free agents.  Who the hell is under contract?  Darnold, Adams on the 5th year option, the DLine, Mosley, and what? 

Isn't this typical?  Teams with a huge amount of cap space are usually lacking in talent and have to sign a bunch of players.  The playoff teams don't usually lead the league in space.  We have a bad roster and he isn't signing superstars at this point so we will be at this again next year, hopefully with some talented draft picks to build with.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Base salary is $4M, his signing bonus was $8M. So he pockets $12M first season. His cap hit is 4M base + 4M from his signing bonus. The rest of his signing bonus (the other $4M), will go towards next years cap hit.

So his cap hit next yr is 12 million