Jump to content
jetstream23

How would you feel if the Jets did NOT get one of these Top 10 WRs?

If the Jets do NOT get one of these Top 10 WRs how would you feel?  

36 members have voted

  1. 1. If the Jets do NOT get one of these Top 10 WRs how would you feel?

    • Huge disappointment. Getting one of these guys is a MUST.
      21
    • Somewhat disappointed. I'd assume the Draft just didn't fall our way and the Jets filled other needs at times these guys were available.
      7
    • Not too big of a deal. There are a lot of other WRs in this Draft and the Jets have lots of needs.
      7
    • No problem at all. With needs at OT, Edge, CB, etc. and a Draft loaded at WR we don't need a Top 10 guy. There will be starting caliber WR prospects in mid/late rounds.
      1


Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Is getting one of these guys a MUST?

1103726073_ScreenShot2020-03-29at7_30_33PM.png.5a39879d50e71bc5a84229fc21b0dc4e.png

I am hoping a few make it down to 48. But at the end of the day there are guys like Claypool who can help make a difference right away and have some upside. I really think the best way to go will be offense in Rd 1 and 2 though. My annoyance might increase if we pass to pick up a defensive player. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It amazes me how deep this WR pool is. Michael Pittman, Jr, not a top 10. Crazy! They should revise the groupings and have a category called "Top 10 WR talent" to include all WR with a level of talent that would typically put them in the top 10 WR in past drafts. What would there be in this draft 13, maybe 14 guys who would normally grade out as a top 10 WR? 

JD certainly picked a great draft to be in need of a LT and WRs.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d cross Reagor, Shenault, Hamler and Aiyuk off that list.   I could live with out them. I don’t think it’s a “must” to get one of the other 6, but it sure would go a long way to improving the WR group.  
 

I could live with maybe a Pittman/ Duvernay combo, wouldn’t be unhappy with that.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO we HAVE to get a legit #1 WR from this draft. Especially after losing Robby. I'd also like to see us add another wide out in the later rounds as well. HAVE to get Sam as many weapons as we can.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not too big of a deal. It just depends on if the Jets go with a WR in Rd. 1/2 or decide to wait until Rd. 3.

They have a ton of needs so if they went OT Rd. 1, Pass Rusher or CB in Rd. 2 I would be totally fine with that. WR depth is great in this draft so I wouldn't mind it. Also, two of my favorite WR prospects- Claypool and Peoples-Jones are not on this top 10 list, so if the Jets got one of them in Rd. 3 along with a more developmental WR in the back end of the draft I would be totally fine.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

IMHO we HAVE to get a legit #1 WR from this draft. Especially after losing Robby. I'd also like to see us add another wide out in the later rounds as well. HAVE to get Sam as many weapons as we can.

I thought I heard or read JD saying that he drafts guys to fit the system his coaches are running. If that is the case, I highly doubt he will draft a #1WR type. The fact is that the Jets offensive system does not value a #1WR who commands targets. It's about spreading the ball around and changing the main WR target from week to week depending upon the opponent and game plan. It's similar as to how the HC views La'vean Bell -- an unnecessary and underutilized luxury.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

IMHO we HAVE to get a legit #1 WR from this draft. Especially after losing Robby. I'd also like to see us add another wide out in the later rounds as well. HAVE to get Sam as many weapons as we can.

How can you possibly not feel AT LEAST the same way IF NOT more so about PROTECTING Darnold. Seriously. After watching the train wreck of an O-line last year with Darnold running for his life and Bell having zero blocking, how can you possibly feel like the Jets so desperately need a #1 WR when they don't have adequate protection for Sam? I just don't get it. JD brought in Fant at OT. That's it. The Jets NEED an OT desperately. They need a plug and play Franchise LT. Whoever JD feels that guy is needs to be the pick. Maybe its not Rd. 1 but odds are it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PepPep said:

How can you possibly not feel AT LEAST the same way IF NOT more so about PROTECTING Darnold. Seriously. After watching the train wreck of an O-line last year with Darnold running for his life and Bell having zero blocking, how can you possibly feel like the Jets so desperately need a #1 WR when they don't have adequate protection for Sam? I just don't get it. JD brought in Fant at OT. That's it. The Jets NEED an OT desperately. They need a plug and play Franchise LT. Whoever JD feels that guy is needs to be the pick. Maybe its not Rd. 1 but odds are it is. 

HUH ? You must have been in quarantine and missed the signings of McGovern, Andrews, van Roten  and Lewis.  They'll draft another OT in the draft but we HAVE to give Sam some weapons too.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In such a deep draft WR wise - I don't think it's a big deal. It's even less of a big deal if someone like Willis falls to us at 11. He's the only OT that I really want at this moment because you can IMMEDIATELY plug him in at LT, and move Fant to RT. If we add Cushenberry in the 3rd we can move McGovern to LG. 

Now if we made a bad pick in 1st round like took a CB or EDGE rusher who wasn't projected to go top 10 over Jeudy or Lamb, then I'd be very upset. 

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

HUH ? You must have been in quarantine and missed the signings of McGovern, Andrews, van Roten  and Lewis.  They'll draft another OT in the draft but we HAVE to give Sam some weapons too.

I was talking about OT, those are all Guards. At OT the Jets have Fant, Edoga, and McDermott. Thats it. Those are out tackles. You feeling comfortable with that? You feel like adding a developmental OT in Rd. 2 or 3 should suffice? This is why I think the Jets NEED to take an OT in Rd. 1 if one of the top ones is there. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PepPep said:

I was talking about OT, those are all Guards. At OT the Jets have Fant, Edoga, and McDermott. Thats it. Those are out tackles. You feeling comfortable with that? You feel like adding a developmental OT in Rd. 2 or 3 should suffice? This is why I think the Jets NEED to take an OT in Rd. 1 if one of the top ones is there. 

I really get the feeling that Joe D. is not as desperate for OT as we fans seem to be.  If he was panicked at all he could throw some money at Jason Peters on a 1-year deal.  Peters has said he's open to playing RT.  Douglas could also have pursued a guy like Vaitai more aggressively rather than going with Fant.  I believe Joe D has a solid plan and he's sticking to it.  In fact, he could have his eye on some post-Draft cuts by other teams who release an expensive OT after about 8-12 really good ones are drafted this year.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, PepPep said:

Not too big of a deal. It just depends on if the Jets go with a WR in Rd. 1/2 or decide to wait until Rd. 3.

They have a ton of needs so if they went OT Rd. 1, Pass Rusher or CB in Rd. 2 I would be totally fine with that. WR depth is great in this draft so I wouldn't mind it. Also, two of my favorite WR prospects- Claypool and Peoples-Jones are not on this top 10 list, so if the Jets got one of them in Rd. 3 along with a more developmental WR in the back end of the draft I would be totally fine.    

People Jones scares me- body of a Porsche, production of a Pinto...I know his QB’s weren’t much but other guys on the team produced better with more catches and much higher yards per catch and YAC, says something 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Why are we always content to settle for 2nd and 3rd rate offensive line players?   Maybe if the jets actually invested in studs on offensive line we’d get back to the playoffs.

fixed your post

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

imo they really need to address wr with a top prospect.  maybe jeudy or lamb or ruggs aren't going to be the guys but they need a guy who can sit behind perriman and become a mid season starter.  this is the same as it would be if they re-signed robbie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2020 at 1:53 PM, Thai Jet said:

HUH ? You must have been in quarantine and missed the signings of McGovern, Andrews, van Roten  and Lewis.  They'll draft another OT in the draft but we HAVE to give Sam some weapons too.

Here's the thing. Those guys are all interior lineman. Which is fine now we really don't need invest tons of mid round picks fixing the interior of the line. Also none of the pick ups are blue chippers. Which is fine too, but you need a couple of those too anchor your line. So I really hope to get one of the stud OTs at 11 followed by WR/WR the next two picks. If we end up with Thomas/Higgins or Claypool is that really second rate? I don't think so. Maybe you get Pittman at the top of the third too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends. They could double dip and land Claypool and Pittman after drafting a top tackle in the first and I’d be thrilled.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should trade for Trent Williams and draft Jeudy at 11, Isaiah Wilson at 48 and then see what WRs are left in the 3rd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could live with any combination of these Day 2 and 3 Wide Out selections

AGG
Quez Watkins
Joe Reed
Bryan Edwards

Not ideal but with the quality of this wr class, one or two of those guys could really shine.  
 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, derp said:

Depends. They could double dip and land Claypool and Pittman after drafting a top tackle in the first and I’d be thrilled.

That would be nice; Perriman would add the deep threat and is fairly physical as well.  Crowder in the slot and have the two rookies compete to start along side them.  In fact I could see Claypool getting some reps at TE going forward, especially if he gets any bigger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2020 at 12:41 AM, jetstream23 said:

I really get the feeling that Joe D. is not as desperate for OT as we fans seem to be.  If he was panicked at all he could throw some money at Jason Peters on a 1-year deal.  Peters has said he's open to playing RT.  Douglas could also have pursued a guy like Vaitai more aggressively rather than going with Fant.  I believe Joe D has a solid plan and he's sticking to it.  In fact, he could have his eye on some post-Draft cuts by other teams who release an expensive OT after about 8-12 really good ones are drafted this year.

Really interesting thought.  I know its tough to say pre-draft, but I wonder who are the guys who could shake loose if a team spends on a LT early in the draft.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2020 at 1:45 AM, David Harris said:

People Jones scares me- body of a Porsche, production of a Pinto...I know his QB’s weren’t much but other guys on the team produced better with more catches and much higher yards per catch and YAC, says something 

He had a terrible QB.  He's for real.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not going to set an arbitrary top 10 or top 12, but we absolutely need to spend premium resource on a WR in this draft.  To me, that means round 1 or 2.  And when we spend that premium pick, JD had better be right about it.  The last two R2 WRs we drafted were Stephen Hill and Devin Smith.  Previous GMs have not ignored the position (as they have OL) , they just have not chosen well (Evans, Saunders, Enunwa, Hansen, Stewart, Smith).  5 whiffs and a guy who can't stay healthy.

The idea that we can wait until R3 to pick WRs since this is a deep WR draft is flawed in my view.  Draft to the strength of the draft.  We need WRs there are a lot of quality WRs in this draft.  Take one early and get a guy you want instead of letting other GMs choose the top guys and we get the pick of who is left in R3 or R4.  I really hope we come out of this draft with two WRs.  One in R1 or R2 and another in R3 or R4.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2020 at 4:14 PM, SR24 said:

We should trade for Trent Williams and draft Jeudy at 11, Isaiah Wilson at 48 and then see what WRs are left in the 3rd. 

6EA9720C-E331-42FD-8055-47ACE081BB7C.jpeg.6f2c34a715573699ca5e9b40c1e64756.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We would be fine if we end up with 2 of Pittman, Duvernay, Van Jefferson or Tyler Johnson. So yeah I don’t think we need those top 10 WRs. I think I’d be more upset if we don’t end up with 2 of:

1) The big four

2) Ezra Cleveland

3) Cesar Ruiz

4) Lucas Niang

5) Matt Peart

6) Josh Jones 

7) Thomas Hennessy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How would you guys feel if we ended up with one or two from this list instead?   Personally I would be okay with   All depends on who we select with the earlier picks.  If we were to come away with a top ranked OT, OG, Edge and CB with our first 4 picks I could live with Quez Watkins (Poor Mans Henry Ruggs) and any one or two of Bryan Edwards/AGG/Pittman/V. Jefferson etc.

 

Claypool
Antonio Gandy Golden
Quez Watkins
Bryan Edwards
Van Jefferson
Tyler Johnson
Michael Pittman Jr.  
Gabriel Davis
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 9:47 AM, JetBlue said:

How would you guys feel if we ended up with one or two from this list instead?   Personally I would be okay with   All depends on who we select with the earlier picks.  If we were to come away with a top ranked OT, OG, Edge and CB with our first 4 picks I could live with Quez Watkins (Poor Mans Henry Ruggs) and any one or two of Bryan Edwards/AGG/Pittman/V. Jefferson etc.

 

Claypool
Antonio Gandy Golden
Quez Watkins
Bryan Edwards
Van Jefferson
Tyler Johnson
Michael Pittman Jr.  
Gabriel Davis
 

Claypool - Yes.  Fits the Thomas role.  But probably gone by the end of the 3rd.

AGG - too slow

Quez Watkins - Yes but he'd be challenging Perriman for the deep threat role.

Bryan Edwards - Love the talent (borderline 1st rounder before the combine), speed would be the question.  Has injury concerns, drops due to lack of focus and lacks effort at times.

Van Jefferson - Love the talent but lacks speed.

Tyler Johnson - Lacks speed and cannot separate.

Michael Pittman - Not sure if he makes it to the 3rd.  He has been moving up with a few appearances in the late 1st round.

Gabriel Davis - Not sure he fits in the offense.  On the slower side and lacks the quickness for separation.

Claypool, Edwards and Pittman (though on the slower side) could fill the role opposite Perriman.  So if they landed one of these guys that would be good.  Most of the other guys don't really fit in the offense.  Other than challenging Perriman and/or Crowder for playing time which would still leave a hole at the x receiver position.  

In Gase's offense, the slots can be a little slower in long speed but need to be quick.  If I am not mistaken Thomas, Sanders, Parker, Stills, Vyncint Smith, Robby, Perriman, are all 4.45 or faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 3:47 PM, JetBlue said:

 If we were to come away with a top ranked OT, OG, Edge and CB with our first 4 picks ...

If we come away with an edge and CB and no receivers in the first 4 picks then I think JD needs to go into the federal witness protection program. We MUST use 2 of the first 4 picks on WR. We had a very good defense last year with about a hundred injuries, including 2 of our best defensive players. When we get them back, the defense will be reasonably solid, without a single star on offense besides Bell, who Gase doesn't know how to use. We need offensive protection and weapons far more than we need anything on defense.

Fix the offense this year. Beef up the defense next year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2020 at 4:14 PM, SR24 said:

We should trade for Trent Williams and draft Jeudy at 11, Isaiah Wilson at 48 and then see what WRs are left in the 3rd. 

The more time passes by the more it looks like a top 4 OT might not make it to 11(and tbh I think it’s really just top 3 because Wirfs technique is not there yet)

 

The time to trade for Trent Williams May be now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Claypool - Yes.  Fits the Thomas role.  But probably gone by the end of the 3rd.

AGG - too slow

Quez Watkins - Yes but he'd be challenging Perriman for the deep threat role.

Bryan Edwards - Love the talent (borderline 1st rounder before the combine), speed would be the question.  Has injury concerns, drops due to lack of focus and lacks effort at times.

Van Jefferson - Love the talent but lacks speed.

Tyler Johnson - Lacks speed and cannot separate.

Michael Pittman - Not sure if he makes it to the 3rd.  He has been moving up with a few appearances in the late 1st round.

Gabriel Davis - Not sure he fits in the offense.  On the slower side and lacks the quickness for separation.

Claypool, Edwards and Pittman (though on the slower side) could fill the role opposite Perriman.  So if they landed one of these guys that would be good.  Most of the other guys don't really fit in the offense.  Other than challenging Perriman and/or Crowder for playing time which would still leave a hole at the x receiver position.  

In Gase's offense, the slots can be a little slower in long speed but need to be quick.  If I am not mistaken Thomas, Sanders, Parker, Stills, Vyncint Smith, Robby, Perriman, are all 4.45 or faster.

I’m surprised Claypool isn’t getting rated higher.  He’s going to cause matchup problems at the next level

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The more time passes by the more it looks like a top 4 OT might not make it to 11(and tbh I think it’s really just top 3 because Wirfs technique is not there yet)

 

The time to trade for Trent Williams May be now

Yeah it’s getting more intriguing I’m on board to trade for him. My biggest worry is missing the OTs, trading down missing the WRs and then drafting someone like Austin Jackson 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, viffer said:

If we come away with an edge and CB and no receivers in the first 4 picks then I think JD needs to go into the federal witness protection program. We MUST use 2 of the first 4 picks on WR. We had a very good defense last year with about a hundred injuries, including 2 of our best defensive players. When we get them back, the defense will be reasonably solid, without a single star on offense besides Bell, who Gase doesn't know how to use. We need offensive protection and weapons far more than we need anything on defense.

Fix the offense this year. Beef up the defense next year.

I understand but there are going to be wide outs in round  3, 4 and 5 that may turn be better than those taken a round or two earlier, that is how deep this draft is.   

For example, everyone is on the Tee Higgins bandwagon but I would not be surprised in the least if AGG turned out to be a better receiver and he could be available as late as the 4th round.   Devin Duvernay, also projected as a 4th rounder could be just as good as Justin Jefferson and is faster to boot.   He may not be as polished a route runner but he is also a monster out of the slot.  

However, there are probably more "NFL" ready receivers in the earlier rounds so I personally would want at least one taken in the first 3 or 4 rounds and perhaps 1 or 2 more in the middle to late rounds.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Claypool - Yes.  Fits the Thomas role.  But probably gone by the end of the 3rd.

AGG - too slow

Quez Watkins - Yes but he'd be challenging Perriman for the deep threat role.

Bryan Edwards - Love the talent (borderline 1st rounder before the combine), speed would be the question.  Has injury concerns, drops due to lack of focus and lacks effort at times.

Van Jefferson - Love the talent but lacks speed.

Tyler Johnson - Lacks speed and cannot separate.

Michael Pittman - Not sure if he makes it to the 3rd.  He has been moving up with a few appearances in the late 1st round.

Gabriel Davis - Not sure he fits in the offense.  On the slower side and lacks the quickness for separation.

Claypool, Edwards and Pittman (though on the slower side) could fill the role opposite Perriman.  So if they landed one of these guys that would be good.  Most of the other guys don't really fit in the offense.  Other than challenging Perriman and/or Crowder for playing time which would still leave a hole at the x receiver position.  

In Gase's offense, the slots can be a little slower in long speed but need to be quick.  If I am not mistaken Thomas, Sanders, Parker, Stills, Vyncint Smith, Robby, Perriman, are all 4.45 or faster.

Every player has weaknesses.   You look at the player and have to conclude if you think he can or will improve.   Obviously speed is not something you can overcome, either you have it or you don't but you can get better at release at the LOS and also route running.  You mention AGG being too slow but I don't think he is slower than Pittman and we have no idea about Higgins who choose not to run.   AGG is a BEAST, and catches everything that comes into his catch radius (which is huge).  Quez Watkins is not just a deep threat and does have great quickness.  I didn't mention Jonathan Hightower but he is another receiver with quickness and speed.    As much as I want a receiver drafted within the first 4 picks, if we came away with any combination of Watkins, AGG, Edwards, Duvernay etc.  I would be fine with it.   Guys like Joe Reed in the later rounds could also become developmental steals while contributing on special teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...