Day 2 WRs vs Day 2 OT

3 minutes ago, nico002 said:

We have the second most cap space in the leuage. The FA tackle market should be able to give us average to slightly above average production for 2 years. Peters, Williams (trade), Beachum. This team will be better with a solid veteran for 1-2 years at LT and a stud like Jeudy or Lamb at WR.

Jeudy or Ruggs, but yes I agree philosophically. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

If douglas evaluates well, he can get tackles on day 2 who can be quality starters.  It’s time the jets entered the nfl and actually drafted some real weapons.  

This is such a great point. If Douglas is a top OL evaluator he should be able to find good value and diamonds in the rough in other rounds.

Now if his top 1 or 2 tackles are sitting there at 11, he should take them.

But if Jeudy is there or even Ruggs, don’t reach for a tackle that may only be average-good.

• Upvote 4

I mean if Douglas lands a stud LT then somehow walks away with a guy like Higgins that’s an A++++++ draft right there .. at the same time if he goes Jeudy and then could land Austin Jackson round 2 that’d be really good too. Tough call to make 

This is a really good post and a very important question. It seems like there are usually some very good interior lineman to be had in Rds 2 and 3. Im not sure we find our next D'Briskeshaw here but with some good scouting we can come away with something special. I think JD goes receiver in Rd 2. The two guys that I've seen - Tee Higgins from Clemson and Pittman from USC are pretty good and I've seen film. Higgins has had Trevor Lawrence throwing him NFL type balls, but his route running is eh. Pittman looks like a good route runner but is not the physical specimen Higgins is. Thoughts? 

Here is Walter Football's WR rankings for 2020: https://walterfootball.com/draft2020WR.php

Same rankings for Offensive tackles for 2020: https://walterfootball.com/draft2020OT.php

Quality offensive linemen are obviously in high demand....more so than receivers. With any luck JoeD will have a choice of at least 2 of the big 4 and make a good selection. And it wouldnt surprise me if he followed up and went ahead and selected another olineman in the second round.

Once the line situation is completely addressed then the team can draft 2 new receivers and maybe a new running back for Darnold.

• Post of the Week 1

Joe Douglas is a former offensive lineman himself. 

So if he can not draft very good O-Lineman during the 2nd round along with two 3rd rounders (go back to back to back x3 O-Line for all I care) and must use our 1st rounder on an O-Lineman instead of a Jeudy/CeeDee for Sam Darnold...

Well then I don't know what the big deal about bringing in a former O-Lineman as GM was  to begin with.

This WR draft class could be one of the greatest of All-Time and with two headliners of this draft class (the very best) in Jeudy/CeeDee you're an idiot if you pass them up. 

13 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean if Douglas lands a stud LT then somehow walks away with a guy like Higgins that’s an A++++++ draft right there .. at the same time if he goes Jeudy and then could land Austin Jackson round 2 that’d be really good too. Tough call to make 

I love Higgins.

I’d sign Peters or trade for Trent.

I’d take Jeudy or Ruggs in rd 1 and Higgins in 2. LFG!

More realistically, this will all depend on which tackle is on the board at 11.

If it’s just Thomas and one of the Bama receivers are on the board I think we SHOULD go WR. If it’s Bechton, Wills, Wirf I agree go with tackle.

• Upvote 1

While football is more passing now then running, Football 101 can still be defined as "Games are won and lost in the trenches".  It all starts at the line of scrimmage. A good offensive line is more to the offence in terms of running and passing then a S&^% line and the best WR or RB in the NFL in my opinion. Case in point, Bell. So if a guy like Thomas is there at 11, you take him no questions. Now if the OT that JD isn't there at 11, then no problem taking a WR, or even trading back for more picks.

• Upvote 1

The proper answer to this question depends on JD's ranking of the talent available. He obviously thinks Fant is good enough to start at LT. Based on this, if JD thinks that the O-line talent that will be available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds is good, then take the WR in round 1. On the other hand, if he doesn't rate the O-line talent in 2 and 3 as that good, but thinks good WR's will be there in those rounds, then take the tackle at 11 and take WR's in 2 and either 3 or 4 as well.

• Upvote 1

I'm honestly good either way.

That said, I really want to come away with one of the following WR's; Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, Mims, Higgins, Shenault, Aiyuk.  If they can grab one of those guys in the 2nd RD, take OT in the 1st.  If they cant, than I'd consider the 2nd tier OT prospects in the 2nd.  We need to get Sam weapons. 

24 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I love Higgins.

If it’s just Thomas and one of the Bama receivers are on the board I think we SHOULD go WR. If it’s Bechton, Wills, Wirf I agree go with tackle.

People lump all 4 of the ‘top tackles’ together, as if they’re all the same.  I doubt most teams feel this way and, based on the new OL the jets are creating, i doubt douglas feels this way either.  I just don’t see a ‘mccagnanesque’ draft where they stay at 11, take Andrew Thomas, stay at 48, take some decent wr, stay at 68, take a cb, etc.  

the jets have a chance to really change their offense right away.  Draft lamb or ruggs, then draft another larger wr like Claypool or Pittman and you’ve massively upgraded what darnold has to work with.  You can still get a quality OT in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds.  Every OL you draft does not need to be a star.  You need quality linemen who can play the position.  Many times it’s simply drafting a few of them and seeing which ones pan out, which is obviously something mccagnan never did.

58 minutes ago, nico002 said:

We have the second most cap space in the leuage. The FA tackle market should be able to give us average to slightly above average production for 2 years. Peters, Williams (trade), Beachum. This team will be better with a solid veteran for 1-2 years at LT and a stud like Jeudy or Lamb at WR.

I don't disagree with this.  If we are able to sign Peters... Just say NO to Trent Williams,  I would be perfectly fine with grabbing Jeudy or Ruggs with the #11. I'd prefer a trade down in that case, but Juedy and Cleveland, Wonoghu or Peart grooming behind Peters would be delightful. 

Niang has Bust written all over him. I would stay away from him.  But there are options. 

4 minutes ago, Greensince69 said:

you take Williams from GA and smile for the next 10 years, He will be our next Brick.  The draft is very deep in WR  and hit rate on first round receivers is not great. Easier to get a sleeper at wr.  We also need an edge

Who?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

This is such a great point. If Douglas is a top OL evaluator he should be able to find good value and diamonds in the rough in other rounds.

Now if his top 1 or 2 tackles are sitting there at 11, he should take them.

But if Jeudy is there or even Ruggs, don’t reach for a tackle that may only be average-good.

Again, you need a partner, but if a worthwhile 1st round  trade down still nets us either OT Jones, or any of the bug-3 WRs Lamb, Judy, or Ruggs, that would help us the most. This would mean we have to keep the trade down to around 3-4 slots at most and if that nets us another 3rd rounder we will be in so much better shape for it and still have the same leverage with the WRs/OTs stated that there should be for the most part to choose from in round 2. Starting to think for us pick #11 is a little bit of no man's land with probably only Jones left at OT and the WRs all possibly there and unless we love one of those WRs over the other, then one of them will be there possibly a few slots later or OT Jones will be there since the could teams after us like the Raiders and such want top WR prospects. 

Well, if Higgins was actually a possibility in rnd 2 (which is isn't) then that would change the conversation... Guys like Aiyuk/Shenault etc aren't in the same breath as Higgins...

But anyway, it's more likely all 4 OTs are gone, than Ruggs and Jeudy for example... so it's pretty easy decision. If the OTs you like are there, take him. If not, don't "just take an OT", take the WR you have a high grade on. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I love Higgins.

i love the super aggressive take 2 Wrs approach!

not sure its realsitic, but its sure the way i am leaning after watching unwatchable offenses....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

If douglas evaluates well, he can get tackles on day 2 who can be quality starters.  It’s time the jets entered the nfl and actually drafted some real weapons.  

you start from the bottom up. Establish a strong foundation up front.  Sam needs to be protected. Blue chip Tackles don't grow on trees. Forgo the defense with the first 3 picks. Should go OL WR OL. Then BPA for CB, edge, WR. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

you start from the bottom up. Establish a strong foundation up front.  Sam needs to be protected. Blue chip Tackles don't grow on trees. Forgo the defense with the first 3 picks. Should go OL WR OL. Then BPA for CB, edge, WR. 

You start by drafting the best players while addressing needs.  You don’t draft a tackle first just because.  The last time the jets drafted a wr who was a true threat was Santana moss, and that was 20 years ago.  It’s absurd.

• Thumb Down 1

Let’s hope 2 of the top 3 WRs are there at 11, why you ask? Because if Juedy & Ruggs are there or Ceedee & 1 of these guys a team behind us might want to move up a notch. 
Drafts are strange & these 3 WRs are really great prospects in an offensive league. 
A trade back in this draft is definitely the way to go (#2 & #4) since so many players line up with our needs at OL & WR. We could come away with OL (Jones?), WR (Higgins?), (Mims?), in the 1st 3 picks & still have two 3s & two 4s. 
How pumped would you be watching the 3rd & 4th round & already have drafted Jones, Higgins & Mims on offense?