Day 2 WRs vs Day 2 OT

On 3/30/2020 at 11:00 AM, Greenseed4 said:

Great thread, but this is framed to showcase preference to the 2nd round WRs, and here’s why:

1. you presented 7 options vs 6. 

2. of those presented, you included 3 WRs that are fringe first rounders. 

Eliminate for bias and this thread is really...Which group is better:

WR- Hamler, People’s-Jones, Aiyuk, Pittman

OT- Niang, Wanago, Wilson, Peart

(these players are listed in order from the big board on the draft network, and consist of the 4 players available after pick 48) 

see the difference?

Exactly!  And in this scenario, give me Jeudy/Lamb/Ruggs at 11.  

On 3/30/2020 at 11:29 AM, 68JET11 said:

One more point... It must say something when we have the 11th pick in the draft, and possibly all 4 OT's will be off the board when we pick, and possibly no WR's.

If you scout around other boards and prognostications, basically the ONLY place you see the doom of all 4 OTs gone by 11 are here.  Everywhere else I look has one or two of them below 11. 

We are just hypersensitive to OT and WR on this board and it skews everything here, including the mock draft..

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Here is my lukewarm take. I'd rather the Jets hit on the pick than pick the greater need. If we go OL and the guy is a stud, it's better than taking a WR and he ends up being Breshad Perriman Jr.  If I'm in Joe D's position, I'm taking the best available between OL and WR. If their coveted OL falls to us, I hope we take the OL, but I'm not crying if we select CeeDee's Nuts or Judge Jeudy. 

If the pick is a hit, nobody is looking back and questioning the decision making process. 

Agreed.  How he values those 4 OTs and 3 WRs individually for the Jets and Adam Gase vs the rd 2 possibilities is the key. 

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree.  100%. I think they need to see who is on the board at 11, which will dictate strategy for the rest of the draft.  It would be a mistake, imo, to go into draft with preconceived notion that it has to be WR or OL at 11.  Be prepared for several scenarios, see what is on the board at 11 and make the choice based upon how you have those players rated.  That choice could be an OL, it could be a WR, or it could be a trade down.  Could be other options as well, but I am really hoping it is one of these 3.

I am on team trade down. It's easier said than done to find trade down partners, but I'd love to see multiple trade downs while gaining multiple day 2 picks. This team is 10 players away from seriously competing, not just one possible generational star. Look at how the Giants are pissing away Saquon's rookie contract while they struggle to put talent around him. We could still find excellent talent and value late in the first round. 

29 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Agreed.  How he values those 4 OTs and 3 WRs individually for the Jets and Adam Gase vs the rd 2 possibilities is the key. 

I almost hate to say this because I also trusted the previous GM at some point, but I trust that Joe Dougie is more Ozzie Newsome than Macczik. His moves so far show calculation and restraint. Until he proves me wrong, I am on team Dougie.

• Upvote 3

On 3/30/2020 at 12:06 PM, UnknownJetFan said:

Again, you need a partner, but if a worthwhile 1st round  trade down still nets us either OT Jones, or any of the bug-3 WRs Lamb, Judy, or Ruggs, that would help us the most. This would mean we have to keep the trade down to around 3-4 slots at most and if that nets us another 3rd rounder we will be in so much better shape for it and still have the same leverage with the WRs/OTs stated that there should be for the most part to choose from in round 2. Starting to think for us pick #11 is a little bit of no man's land with probably only Jones left at OT and the WRs all possibly there and unless we love one of those WRs over the other, then one of them will be there possibly a few slots later or OT Jones will be there since the could teams after us like the Raiders and such want top WR prospects. 

I don't think Lamb, Ruggs or Jeudy will last past 15 or 16, so if we trade down, those guys will be off the table.  Raiders at 12, 49ers at 13 and Broncos at 15 all are projected to take WRs.  

18 minutes ago, casterpdx said:

OT at #11; if Higgins or one of the WRs you like is still there late Round 1 you use the 2nd & one of the 3rds to move up into late Round 1.

Giving up a 2nd and a 3rd round pick in such a deep WR draft when we have holes all over the place is a ridiculous suggestion. 

3 hours ago, viffer said:

Joe Namath was a bust? Bama guy in round 1...

I really hope we grab Jeudy at 11. I don't believe JD paid Fant $10m to be a backup; he obviously believes that Fant can be a capable starter. And unless/until proven wrong, I'm going to trust JD's opinion on offensive line over anyone on this board (no offense, but that's why they're paying him $6m per year). Unless JD's top-rated tackle drops to 11, I say get a star WR and pick up OL in the second (and maybe again in the 4th or 5th if someone is there), and get another WR in 3.

Defense was good enough last year, even with key injuries, to go somewhere this year IF we can get pieces to put some points on the board. Fix the offense this year and next year's draft can concentrate on the defense.

I knew someone would bring that up, and I actually was going to add that to my statement, but really was he drafted ?  I believe he was bought by Sonny, as we were still in the AFL at the time, and he didn't want him drafted by the NFL. Also, if you read the statement it said 1st round BAMA players RECENTLY... lol.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

If you scout around other boards and prognostications, basically the ONLY place you see the doom of all 4 OTs gone by 11 are here.  Everywhere else I look has one or two of them below 11. 

We are just hypersensitive to OT and WR on this board and it skews everything here, including the mock draft..

Totally get it... I want the best Offensive player also, as long as it's not Defense with the exception of CB or Edge, meaning either Chase or Okuduh falling to 11.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, casterpdx said:

Still feel ridiculous?  No attitude, Just asking...

It looks even more ridiculous when you were suggesting we should trade into round 1 to get Higgins and he's still on the board along with Mims and Pittman and others.

If you want to talk about trading up a few spots in the 2nd if the guy you want is available at 42/43, sure. That would only cost much less.

• Upvote 1

Just now, British Jet said:

Don’t get me wrong. If JD feels like he should make a jump up to the early 40s for a WR for the cost of a 4th or similar - that’s fine. 
But we couldn’t afford to give up a 2nd and 3rd before seeing how the board fell. 

??

3 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Don’t get me wrong. If JD feels like he should make a jump up to the early 40s for a WR for the cost of a 4th or similar - that’s fine. 
But we couldn’t afford to give up a 2nd and 3rd before seeing how the board fell. 

using a 4th to get a wr is fine, you can trade back in the 3rd to get more picks.

Waiting on an OT until Rd 2 simply wasn't going to be a good option in this draft class.  And it's rarely a good option in MOST draft classes, either.  

Very glad the board worked out to where we were choosing between Becton and Wirfs.  It really couldn't have, realistically, gone better in that regard.

• Upvote 1