Jets pass on both Thomas, Becton to take WR Jeudy in Todd McShay's post-FA Mock Draft

32 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Really? What a clueless remark to make. 

So you're saying that just because he falls to 11th and outside of the top 10 (because of QB and O-Line and defensive needy teams) that he won't be considered "really that good"?

Despite being considered as the headline and best WR within a potentially All-Time great WR class? Nice to know.

Jerry Rice. 

Chris Carter (4th round). 

Michael Irvin (11th overall). 

Andre Reed (4th round). 

Wesley Walker (2nd round, Jets). 

Randy Moss. 

Terrell Owens (3rd round). 

Marvin Harrison. 

Reggie Wayne. 

Chad Ocho Cinco Johnson (2nd round). 

Hines Ward (3rd round). 

Isaac Bruce (2nd round). 

Steve Smith (3rd round).

Anquan Boldin (2nd round).

Dez Bryant. 

Odell Beckham Jr. 

Antonio Brown (6th round).

DeAndre Hopkins.

Michael Thomas (2nd round). 

Tyreek Hill (5th round). 

Brandin Cooks.

Jarvis Landry (2nd round). 

D.K Metkalf (2nd round). 

Were ALL drafted outside of the "top 10" ala some of the greatest WR's of the 80's, 90's and 2000's; but yet you feel that if he's "that good" that he wouldn't make it out of the top 10? Thank you, because you just let all of JN know they you know absolutely nothingness about the history of the WR position...

And suddenly you realize how clueless you seem and just how stupid you sounded while making your (above) post...

I bet you, that you can not create a top 23 WR list (as i just did) with WR's who were drafted within the top 10 who put up better numbers and careers than the one's above... lol. 

Because the top 3 priorities, the most important positions to a team and a draft are: QB, OT, DE.

Not WR

Stands to reason the WRs aren't in the top 10 often 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

There is so much wrong with this post. 

What is wrong with it?

1) The fact that we signed 3 back-up level linemen to basically one year contracts (which one of them hasn't been mostly a back-up in their careers - Fant? Van Roten? Lewis?)

or 

2) Sam would thrive if he had quality protection.

or

3) We should prioritize offense in the draft.

Of all of the above?

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Because Fant, Van Roten and Lewis are pretty much back up quality players - one year plug-ins.

We need to take a Tackle to begin the overall OL rebuild.

If you give Sam time he’ll make the weapons we have work.  Get him a WR in the 2nd, Guard in the 3rd and a RB in the 4th.  

I’m there with you but you have to assume the front office thinks a few of these guys can get the job done. I’d prefer the jets figure out a way to trade down and nab an additional 2nd round pick. Grab a WR and two OL with those First 3 picks but that Kind of trade hasn’t happened in a long time. I just think that with 4 OL signed in free agency, I just don’t see how it isn’t a WR at 11. 

31 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The Jets have a pair of 3rd rounders in their back pocket to alleviate that situation if need be.

And frankly, you could say the same for WR.

I’m all about building the OL in front of Darnold but it we’re sticking him out there with Crowder, Perriman and some 3rd round rookie as his top options out wide, then that’s less than ideal to say the least.

We really just need the OL to go from complete dogsh*t to simply “meh” this year. It doesn’t need to transform into a super unit over night.

Having just a league wide average OL with a potential foursome of Jeudy (#11), Pittman (#68), Crowder and Perriman at WR, a healthy Herndon and Griffin at TE with Bell in the backfield could catapult Darnold into stardom this year.

super unit oline propel guys more than just wr imo.

Mark Sanchez was terrible but we had a great oline.

Dak prescott is a rich man because he went to a team with a great oline.

If you look at the history of the jets the times they have been good they had really good olines, not passable olines.

Resist the temptation my friend.  ?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Really? What a clueless remark to make. 

No I think you misunderstand my meaning.  IHMO if he is good enough for an OT hungry team to take him at 11 then he is good enough to be taken before that.   Why exactly is this thinking clueless? 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, extmenace said:

I’m there with you but you have to assume the front office thinks a few of these guys can get the job done. I’d prefer the jets figure out a way to trade down and nab an additional 2nd round pick. Grab a WR and two OL with those First 3 picks but that Kind of trade hasn’t happened in a long time. I just think that with 4 OL signed in free agency, I just don’t see how it isn’t a WR at 11. 

I do get the temptation.  WR's are shiny, exciting objects - playmakers.  

But, my honest feeling is Sam is that good.  A quality OL is what he needs more than superstar WR's.  Sure you want the best we can get but time and a running game will help him more than any one WR can.  

It's def. a tough pill to swallow taking a tackle at 11 when we need so many other things - but, IMO, it's far and away the right choice.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I have a guy who says if Becton is on the board we take him. I have 100% faith in him given his track record. Just observing Douglas, I can't see him actually taking a WR if a top OT is on the board. It just doesn't really make sense IMO considering the depth of WR here.

Does the source imply that if, say, thomas is there, jets won’t take him?

23 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Does the source imply that if, say, thomas is there, jets won’t take him?

He did not say anything like that, moreso that he believe Becton is the desired player. I think he believes OT will be the pick if one of the four are there. His next option he said would be to trade back and take a WR. 

He also said no chance we are in on Trent Williams, "we are going to be smart with our money"

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Because the top 3 priorities, the most important positions to a team and a draft are: QB, OT, DE.

Not WR

Stands to reason the WRs aren't in the top 10 often 

I already know all of this, which I was responding to a poster who stated that if Jerry Jeudy 'were really that good" he wouldn't fall out of top 10 etc etc and I couldn't disagree more (as proof with my post you just quoted). 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Because Fant, Van Roten and Lewis are pretty much back up quality players - one year plug-ins.

If you give Sam time he’ll make the weapons we have work.  Get him a WR in the 2nd, Guard in the 3rd and a RB in the 4th.  

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What is wrong with it?

1) The fact that we signed 3 back-up level linemen to basically one year contracts (which one of them hasn't been mostly a back-up in their careers - Fant? Van Roten? Lewis?)

or 

2) Sam would thrive if he had quality protection.

or

3) We should prioritize offense in the draft.

Of all of the above?

First off, you are mixing words from your first post to your second. 

1.  The three OL you cited (in addition to Connor McGovern who you conveniently didn't) were all given three year contracts.  These FOUR additions to our OL had a combined  6 sacks allowed last year.  Lewis drew 6 penalties, and the other three guys combined for 3 penalties.  I'm not sure how you define "back up quality players - one year plug-ins" but I disagree.

2. We don't need a Tackle to "begin" the overall OL rebuild.... see above, we have added 4 starters, and a depth piece in Josh Andrews.  The rebuild has begun.  If anything, we need one more tackle to "finish" the OL rebuild.  Maybe two tackles to sleep better at night.  But let's not make this a chicken little scenario because it isn't.

3. Giving Sam more time doesn't make Enunwa less prone to injury.  It doesn't add three inches to Braxton Berrios, or make Vyncient Smith and Jehu Chesson (who?) suddenly world beaters.  (Notice I didn't mention Perriman/Doctson; I legit think one of them can step up and become something if Sam isn't running for his life).

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Watkins had 52 catches and three TDs last year. Hill was a fifth rounder. Kelce was a third rounder. You can get high-end receivers in later rounds. Finding a blue chip OT later on is very hard

T0m, I mean, why don't we hangout...we're basicly the same person lol

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

1.  The three OL you cited (in addition to Connor McGovern who you conveniently didn't) were all given three year contracts.  These FOUR additions to our OL had a combined  6 sacks allowed last year.  Lewis drew 6 penalties, and the other three guys combined for 3 penalties.  I'm not sure how you define "back up quality players - one year plug-ins" but I disagree.

2. We don't need a Tackle to "begin" the overall OL rebuild.... see above, we have added 4 starters, and a depth piece in Josh Andrews.  The rebuild has begun.  If anything, we need one more tackle to "finish" the OL rebuild.  Maybe two tackles to sleep better at night.  But let's not make this a chicken little scenario because it isn't.

3. Giving Sam more time doesn't make Enunwa less prone to injury.  It doesn't add three inches to Braxton Berrios, or make Vyncient Smith and Jehu Chesson (who?) suddenly world beaters.  (Notice I didn't mention Perriman/Doctson; I legit think one of them can step up and become something if Sam isn't running for his life).

I initially said 3 of them are back-up level players and the reason i say that is because they've been mostly back-ups their entire careers. 

I certainly hope they're stop-gaps and not the long-term future plans of this OL - I'm hoping JD has a long term plan.  Signing 4 guys as starters doesn't mean they are quality starters -  3 of them are back-up /fringe talents - and yes, that means you to fully rebuild the oline starting with an OT at 11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Van_Roten

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Fant_(American_football)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Lewis_(offensive_lineman)

Take a look at their careers and tell me they're not mostly back-up/role players.  

3 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

What he keeps saying but really means is we signed players that he had no idea about, who weren't the big name, high dollar signings some wanted over very usable players who are a good start to rebuilding the OL.  Some rather JD signed one big name to a big contract and then traded for/signed a 31+ year old on the downside OL who's name they also recognize.

You know, exactly the same signings that we wanted Macc fired over.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, roscoeword said:

I don't see college football, so all I could do is look at highlights when I'm interested in a player the Jets might get . Every college receiver seems the same on those highlights  - they all run very fast and are always open.

Look for ones that run routes like Jeudy.  You will be looking all day

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

No I think you misunderstand my meaning.  IHMO if he is good enough for an OT hungry team to take him at 11 then he is good enough to be taken before that.   Why exactly is this thinking clueless? 

You quoted me just to tell me that if Jeudy were really that good, that he wouldn't fall out of the top 10; despite...

Jerry Rice, Chris Carter, Michael Irvin (11th overall), Andre Reed, Wesley Walker, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens,  Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Chad Ocho Cinco Johnson, Hines Ward, Isaac Bruce, Steve Smith, Anquan Boldin, Dez Bryant, Odell Beckham Jr,  Antonio Brown, DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Tyreek Hill, Brandin Cooks, Jarvis Landry, D.K Metkalf.

All of these WR's (outside of Michael Irvin) fell out of the top 10 (the sweet spot for WR's).  So no. Jeudy falling out of the top 10 has nothing to do with how good or how good he's not... Nothing @ all. 

• Upvote 1

Ultimately, I think Douglas is going to stick to his roots and select one of the top tackles.  He has made it clear that OL is the top priority of this team, and I personally think that evaluation is right on the money.

With that said, it all comes down to who is available at #11.  It's certainly possible that Douglas has some of the top WRs ranked higher than some of the top OTs.  The fans tend to lump four of the top tackles and three of the top receivers together, but many of the GMs likely have different grades on each one of them.

Wirfs is my top choice at tackle.  Lamb is my top choice at receiver.  I'd be ecstatic with either, but at the same time, I'd be perfectly happy with any of the top 4 tackles and top 3 receivers.  My only request is NO DEFENSE!

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

If Becton is there at 11 we have to take him

I don't disagree.  I'm conflicted though. 

OT is the position of most need.  But IMO Jeudy is the player of most need at pick #11.  I truly believe Jeudy is the best candidate among the top 3-4  wideouts to quickly establish chemistry with Darnold.  Breaking his route and instantly finding open spaces within the coverage, is a precious commodity that Jeudy does better then anyone you can pick in in this draft...especially rounds 2-4.  Darnold needs this type of receiver very badly. 

The OL will still be a work-in-progress after this draft, no matter where the OT is picked.  How much after this draft will last year's 32nd ranked offense be bumped up to something respectable?  To be in better balance with the defense, that then enables the Jets to compete in a wide open AFCE. 

So there's no doubt that in my mind...JD has some tough choices ahead of him in this draft.  To find the best balance he can between giving Darnold solid protection.  And a scary impact weapon for Gase's pass oriented offense. 

Again...I agree...if Becton is there, Jets may take him over Jeudy.  If so...I hope us fans don't regret it.  I know I will.

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

4 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

There is so much wrong with this post. 

I'm guessing you don't much care for a good offensive line and what it can do for a football team. We've been spoiled for many years of very good offensive lines. I for one am tired of watching this team ignore that position for the last 10 or more years. You want to know why we suck, just look at the lack of talent we have on the offensive line. We need to sure up that part of the team before Sam gets killed. Everything else is an afterthought.

• Post of the Week 1

43 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I'm guessing you don't much care for a good offensive line and what it can do for a football team. We've been spoiled for many years of very good offensive lines. I for one am tired of watching this team ignore that position for the last 10 or more years. You want to know why we suck, just look at the lack of talent we have on the offensive line. We need to sure up that part of the team before Sam gets killed. Everything else is an afterthought.

I care very much for a good offensive line, thank you. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Think the point is JD hasn't ignored the OL

Not taking one more OL at 11 isn't ignoring the line.  Especially for a top prospect at WR.  Sam needs WRs.  WRs who get free and allow the QB to get the ball out on time help a QB too

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Ultimately, I think Douglas is going to stick to his roots and select one of the top tackles.  He has made it clear that OL is the top priority of this team, and I personally think that evaluation is right on the money.

If This board fell I'd take Becton no problem 

that being said 

Joe Douglas' roots being OL means he should be able to find starting quality lineman all over the draft 

or at least some interesting developmental guys

There's no reason to believe this crew can hit on those 3rd rd Wr picks everyone is so fond of citing. 

also 1 tackle pick at 11 doesn't make this line a super unit. they are going to be meh/decent no matter what in 2020 (rookies are rarely all pros) 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

WRs who get free and allow the QB to get the ball out on time help a QB too

guys like Tyreek Hill taking a little hitch 70 yards makes everyone in the franchise look good 

this place is OL crazy but the league is fantasy sportsbetting video game i.e. everything is built around the QB and the quick score for excitement. 

• Upvote 1

The reality is, Jeudy is better at being a WR than any of these OTs are at being Tackles.

Doesn't mean his automatically the right choice (especially since JD hasn't signed a viable OT starter) but lets be real; Jeudy is in the coversation if he's there, 100%

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The reality is, Jeudy is better at being a WR than any of these OTs are at being Tackles.

Doesn't mean his automatically the right choice (especially since JD hasn't signed a viable OT starter) but lets be real; Jeudy is in the coversation if he's there, 100%

Exactly.  Don’t pass on a much better prospect by drafting for need.  A good gm will address OT in later rounds .  When was the last time the jets drafted an all pro on offense besides brick and mangold

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, extmenace said:

I know everyone wants an OT at 11 but with fant, McGovern, van roten, and Lewis signed I just don’t see how WR isn’t the pick if the jets stay put at 11. It’s happening.

Because all those you named are interior O-linemen.

Our Tackles are Fant and Edoga (not very inspiring). Which means the Tackle position must be addressed in the 1st round.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

55 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There's no reason to believe this crew can hit on those 3rd rd Wr picks everyone is so fond of citing. 

It's the way of the NFL. You don't waste 1st round picks on WR's anymore.

Just look at the top 20 WR's in the league right now. Only 5 of them are 1st round picks (Hopkins, Julio, Evans, Cooper & Odell). That means that 75% come from outside the 1st round.

Now try looking up the top 20 LT's in the game. Most are 1st round picks.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RichardTodd27 said:

It's the way of the NFL. You don't waste 1st round picks on WR's anymore.

Just look at the top 20 WR's in the league right now. Only 5 of them are 1st round picks (Hopkins, Julio, Evans, Cooper & Odell). That means that 75% come from outside the 1st round.

Now try looking up the top 20 LT's in the game. Most are 1st round picks.

Looking at the top 20 LTs in football, many (Tyron Smith, Trent Williams, Andrew Whitworth) are practically from another era. 

this comment feels like you did the research on the WR and mailed in the research on the top 20 LT, who they are, where they came from etc.

there's been an OT drought recently and many of the top picks have been busts. We can cherry pick the data either way 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Maybe so, but Jeudy may need to be significantly better at being a WR than Wirfs/Wills/Becton/Thomas are at being Tackle. 

Tackles are more important than having a stud receiver. Top ten wide receivers last year by yardage, and their team record

Thomas 13-3

Jones  7-9

Godwin  7-9

Parker  5-11

Allen  5-11 

Golladay  3-12-1

Cooper  8-8

Moore  5-11

Landry  6-10

Hopkins  10-6

Two top ten receivers in teams with a winning record.

I love Jeudy. Wouldn't hate the pick if it happens, but if a top tackle is there at 11, I don't see Douglas looking to take a receiver. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Last year we had 8 delay of games on our offense (2nd worst) and 22 offensive holding penalties (7th worst). 

I love what Joe Douglas is doing with our offensive line. He's looking for discipline with disciplined lineman. Just look at all of our free agency offensive lineman thus far; he's building a disciplined line around disciplined offensive lineman; who do not commit drive ending penalties.

He's being thorough after years of neglect. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I have a guy who says if Becton is on the board we take him. I have 100% faith in him given his track record. Just observing Douglas, I can't see him actually taking a WR if a top OT is on the board. It just doesn't really make sense IMO considering the depth of WR here.

The other 3 of the top 4 OTs are really good prospects but Becton is a generational talent 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Last year we had 8 delay of games on our offense (2nd worst) and 22 offensive holding penalties (7th worst). 

I love what Joe Douglas is doing with our offensive line. He's looking for discipline with disciplined lineman. Just look at all of our free agency offensive lineman thus far; he's building a disciplined line around disciplined offensive lineman; who do not commit drive ending penalties.

He's being thorough after years of neglect. 

Cut Winters and you cut the penalties in half 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Maybe so, but Jeudy may need to be significantly better at being a WR than Wirfs/Wills/Becton/Thomas are at being Tackle. 

Tackles are more important than having a stud receiver. Top ten wide receivers last year by yardage, and their team record

Thomas 13-3

Jones  7-9

Godwin  7-9

Parker  5-11

Allen  5-11 

Golladay  3-12-1

Cooper  8-8

Moore  5-11

Landry  6-10

Hopkins  10-6

Two top ten receivers in teams with a winning record.

I love Jeudy. Wouldn't hate the pick if it happens, but if a top tackle is there at 11, I don't see Douglas looking to take a receiver. 

You didn't do my post justice by cropping it down. I went out of my way to say that Tackle is still in the conversation, EVEN if WR1 is available... 

and the same list above can be used with OTs... Off the top of my head the only tackle recently drafted early whos team is doing well is the guy with the Titans whos name eludes me at the moment.