Villain's Final 2020 Mock Draft W/Trades.

Here are the facts. The Jets went into free agency and really didnt solidify any of the major position concerns outside of Center, however they did pick up guys who are immediate contributors and in that respect have upgraded the roster as a whole. Here are the major additions. 

Breshad Perriman was picked up after moving on from Robby Anderson. Outside of how folks feel about the comparison of players, what is safe to say is that it's a bit worrisome when Perriman is the best wideout on your team and our current #2 outside receiver is a massive health liability in Quincy Enunwa. The most productive receiver on the team is Jamison Crowder, a slot receiver (good slot receiver) who's never posted 900 yards or more than 7 TD's in a season. This is not to somehow indict Crowder, but to show that the Jets have surrounded Crowder with uncertain injury prone players who have not produced in the league and will add a rookie to the mix. The Jets haven't produced a 1,000 receiver since 2015....in a passing league. But when you have 7 different QB's start games on 10 separate occasions, that certainly doesnt help.

George Fant is a concern similar to Breshad Perriman. He's never been a fulltime starter for the Seahawks so it's hard to know what to expect from a consistency standpoint. What we do know for sure is that he's incredibly athletic. From the footage I seen, he's played both tackle positions, but actually seems to be a better player at RT as a lead blocker for the run game, which is great for LeVeon Bell but not so great when talking about Sam's blindside as once again there really is no definitive answer at LT. Fant does provide versatility as he can play both Tackle spots and can add a wrinkle in the passing game as a receiver. Actually he does look like a massive Tight End on the field. Fant is a very good pick up in how Perriman is a very good pick up. Guys that would provide awesome depth and has upside, but has not shown much worthy of depending on with any sort of certainty. 

Greg Van Roten is another journey man guard who is probably an upgrade given how poorly our guards were. This is an upgrade by circumstance more than Roten being a very good talent. However, an upgrade is an upgrade when trying to do everything you can to protect Sam Darnold. 

Pierre Desir is a very good pick up in my opinion. Desir allows for the Jets to draft a developmental CB this year, draft a more proven CB next year if need be or offer Desir an extension next year if he's able to stay on the field and produce. Desir is yet another player who's never played a full season of football, though doesnt have an injury history (on paper). 2019 was by far his best season statistically, if that's what you look at, however Desir did say that he played all of 2019 while injured with a hamstring which is why he had a down year in terms of consistency. Desir could be the most valuable addition to a Jets team who just cut Trumaine Johnson. If Bless Austin takes another step and Brian Poole remains to perform, all we'll need is solid play from Desir in order to have a respectable secondary. 

Connor McGovern is the only clear-cut starting caliber upgrade this team has needed at the center position. Center is now a position of strength now that Harrison is a valuable back up center. McGovern is also a versatile player who can also play guard, which means that if McGovern is a better Guard than the other current Guards, Harrison is good enough to continue to play Center with McGovern filling in one of the guard positions. McGovern is by far the best free agent acquisition so far. 

Overall grade thus far I give this free agency a C. We picked up depth players and one reliable starter, however the Jets are going into the draft with at minimum 3 clear needs at Tackle, receiver and pass rusher. Corner is still a position that deserves attention, but not as important as the 3 mentioned. 

What I'd like the Jets to do. The positions with the least amount of talent are pass rusher and receiver. I would offer Clowney a 4 year 65 million dollar deal with 50 million guaranteed. For those who will go straight to the statline looking for sacks, that's the problem. On one hand folks swear that PFF is ruining the league, and on the other hand will go directly to stats  to validate someone's worth. The fact is that the Jets need a pass rushing threat from the traditional position in order to free up guys like Adams to do other things while at the same time give our cornerbacks a chance to succeed instead of expecting them to cover receivers on every play for 4 and 5 seconds. Clowney is a top 100 player in the league, a probowl level talent and is a respectable pass rusher who is also superb in run support. The knock on Clowney is the hype that surrounded him. If we dismiss the hype and simply deal with the player we'd be acquiring then it would be clear to see that we're getting an enormous versatile upgrade that can play both 4-3 and 3-4 and can provide pressure to the QB which will provide some versatility to what Greg Williams can do with the defense. This will benefit every other player on the field. That's what it's about in the scheme of things. 

With that said, here's my final mock draft. 

I would trade down with the Eagles. Trading our 1st round pick and lower 3rd round pick in order to get the Eagles 21st pick and their 2nd round pick. 

1st: Josh Jones: OT,  Houston

2nd: Jalen Reagor: WR/PR, TCU

2nd: Denzel Mims: WR, Baylor

3rd: Ezra Cleveland: OT, Bosie St. 

4th: Cam Akers: RB, Florida St. 

5th: Derrek Tuszka: DE, NDSU

6th: Jake Luton: QB, Oregon St. (No one has said a word about this kid. Dark horse QB in this entire draft. Watch New England draft him ?.) 

6th: Braden Mann: Punter, Texas A&M. 

My final mock. See you guys in 2021. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Here are the facts. The Jets went into free agency and really didnt solidify any of the major position concerns outside of Center, however they did pick up guys who are immediate contributors and in that respect have upgraded the roster as a whole. Here are the major additions. 

Breshad Perriman was picked up after moving on from Robby Anderson. Outside of how folks feel about the comparison of players, what is safe to say is that it's a bit worrisome when Perriman is the best wideout on your team and our current #2 outside receiver is a massive health liability in Quincy Enunwa. The most productive receiver on the team is Jamison Crowder, a slot receiver (good slot receiver) who's never posted 900 yards or more than 7 TD's in a season. This is not to somehow indict Crowder, but to show that the Jets have surrounded Crowder with uncertain injury prone players who have not produced in the league and will add a rookie to the mix. The Jets haven't produced a 1,000 receiver since 2015....in a passing league. But when you have 7 different QB's start games on 10 separate occasions, that certainly doesnt help.

George Fant is a concern similar to Breshad Perriman. He's never been a fulltime starter for the Seahawks so it's hard to know what to expect from a consistency standpoint. What we do know for sure is that he's incredibly athletic. From the footage I seen, he's played both tackle positions, but actually seems to be a better player at RT as a lead blocker for the run game, which is great for LeVeon Bell but not so great when talking about Sam's blindside as once again there really is no definitive answer at LT. Fant does provide versatility as he can play both Tackle spots and can add a wrinkle in the passing game as a receiver. Actually he does look like a massive Tight End on the field. Fant is a very good pick up in how Perriman is a very good pick up. Guys that would provide awesome depth and has upside, but has not shown much worthy of depending on with any sort of certainty. 

Greg Van Roten is another journey man guard who is probably an upgrade given how poorly our guards were. This is an upgrade by circumstance more than Roten being a very good talent. However, an upgrade is an upgrade when trying to do everything you can to protect Sam Darnold. 

Pierre Desir is a very good pick up in my opinion. Desir allows for the Jets to draft a developmental CB this year, draft a more proven CB next year if need be or offer Desir an extension next year if he's able to stay on the field and produce. Desir is yet another player who's never played a full season of football, though doesnt have an injury history (on paper). 2019 was by far his best season statistically, if that's what you look at, however Desir did say that he played all of 2019 while injured with a hamstring which is why he had a down year in terms of consistency. Desir could be the most valuable addition to a Jets team who just cut Trumaine Johnson. If Bless Austin takes another step and Brian Poole remains to perform, all we'll need is solid play from Desir in order to have a respectable secondary. 

Connor McGovern is the only clear-cut starting caliber upgrade this team has needed at the center position. Center is now a position of strength now that Harrison is a valuable back up center. McGovern is also a versatile player who can also play guard, which means that if McGovern is a better Guard than the other current Guards, Harrison is good enough to continue to play Center with McGovern filling in one of the guard positions. McGovern is by far the best free agent acquisition so far. 

Overall grade thus far I give this free agency a C. We picked up depth players and one reliable starter, however the Jets are going into the draft with at minimum 3 clear needs at Tackle, receiver and pass rusher. Corner is still a position that deserves attention, but not as important as the 3 mentioned. 

What I'd like the Jets to do. The positions with the least amount of talent are pass rusher and receiver. I would offer Clowney a 4 year 65 million dollar deal with 50 million guaranteed. For those who will go straight to the statline looking for sacks, that's the problem. On one hand folks swear that PFF is ruining the league, and on the other hand will go directly to stats  to validate someone's worth. The fact is that the Jets need a pass rushing threat from the traditional position in order to free up guys like Adams to do other things while at the same time give our cornerbacks a chance to succeed instead of expecting them to cover receivers on every play for 4 and 5 seconds. Clowney is a top 100 player in the league, a probowl level talent and is a respectable pass rusher who is also superb in run support. The knock on Clowney is the hype that surrounded him. If we dismiss the hype and simply deal with the player we'd be acquiring then it would be clear to see that we're getting an enormous versatile upgrade that can play both 4-3 and 3-4 and can provide pressure to the QB which will provide some versatility to what Greg Williams can do with the defense. This will benefit every other player on the field. That's what it's about in the scheme of things. 

With that said, here's my final mock draft. 

I would trade down with the Eagles. Trading our 1st round pick and lower 3rd round pick in order to get the Eagles 21st pick and their 2nd round pick. 

1st: Josh Jones: OT,  Houston

2nd: Jalen Reagor: WR/PR, TCU

2nd: Denzel Mims: WR, Baylor

3rd: Ezra Cleveland: OT, Bosie St. 

4th: Cam Akers: RB, Florida St. 

5th: Derrek Tuszka: DE, NDSU

6th: Jake Luton: QB, Oregon St. (No one has said a word about this kid. Dark horse QB in this entire draft. Watch New England draft him ?.) 

6th: Braden Mann: Punter, Texas A&M. 

My final mock. See you guys in 2021. 

1. I honestly would be fine with bringing Clowney on board. He's a gamble and a big investment but you know what, he really can be a difference maker. I think with our D-line and having brought back Jenkins and the CBs we brought back (along with Desir), we are really going to set him up for success. However, with the kind of deals JD has been doling out, do I think he is going to give Clowney a 4 year 65mil deal with 50mil guaranteed? HELL NO. 

2. I love this draft. I love the prospects I just don't think they will be available when we pick. Josh Jones at 21, MAYBE. Reagor at our selection in Rd. 2, DOUBTFUL, but maybe. Mims at the Eagles pick in Rd. 2, NO WAY. Cleveland in Rd. 3 with the Giants pick- DOUBTFUL. Akers in Rd. 4- DOUBTFUL. I mean, you gotta be a little more realistic. Sure, it's possible but majority of these guys will be gone.   

• Upvote 1

Good work here.  My initial reaction is I don't see us using two picks on OT that early.  Fant is probably a lock to start on one side of the other.  We're thin at depth but I think that 3rd round pick could be Edge or CB and be a potential starter for us, whereas Cleveland only starts if Jones busts or he or Fant get hurt.  I might even argue that IOL is more a need than OT (assuming McGovern might be better at OG and I'm not sure about Winters) at that point but it's close.  

At that pick (68) you might see guys like Uche, Bartch, Hennessy, maybe Jaylen Johnson slips.  But it's marginally nit-picking at best.

Cam Akers doesn't last until the 4th but a guy who should that I find intriguing is Antonio Gibson.  Look him up.  Was a WR until his last season but he's a big (6'1" 228 lb), fast (4.39) dude who can catch and has low miles on his tires.  His only real knock is lack of experience at RB but he has all the tools to be a stud if he can put it together.  

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, PepPep said:

1. I honestly would be fine with bringing Clowney on board. He's a gamble and a big investment but you know what, he really can be a difference maker. I think with our D-line and having brought back Jenkins and the CBs we brought back (along with Desir), we are really going to set him up for success. However, with the kind of deals JD has been doling out, do I think he is going to give Clowney a 4 year 65mil deal with 50mil guaranteed? HELL NO. 

2. I love this draft. I love the prospects I just don't think they will be available when we pick. Josh Jones at 21, MAYBE. Reagor at our selection in Rd. 2, DOUBTFUL, but maybe. Mims at the Eagles pick in Rd. 2, NO WAY. Cleveland in Rd. 3 with the Giants pick- DOUBTFUL. Akers in Rd. 4- DOUBTFUL. I mean, you gotta be a little more realistic. Sure, it's possible but majority of these guys will be gone.   

I see your point, however there are tons of surprises every single draft and you cant draft 50 players in 40 slots.

Players rise, players fall. Every last one of these guys may be off the board by the time I have us picking them, which means someone had to drop In order for that to happen.  

My first mock had Jones as a 2nd rounder picking him up with our 40-something pick. Today I drafted him at 21, which means that 20 players fell a spot. 

This is my mock based on draft projections, not what other teams may do. I would have to do an NFL mock if I expect to present the realism you expect from a Jets mock.

Agree with a lot of what’s been posted. Would add that technically the Eagles’ one and two are shy of pick eleven on the trade value chart. The Eagles’ one, two, and comp three would make it only eight points higher than the value of eleven (equivalent of a late six, Jets could trade there second six and make it within three points).

I know a trade down would be nice but if the Eagles want to move up, presumably they want a top receiver and the Jets should extract value. At least a future three in addition to the two and certainly not giving a three back.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, derp said:

Agree with a lot of what’s been posted. Would add that technically the Eagles’ one and two are shy of pick eleven on the trade value chart. The Eagles’ one, two, and comp three would make it only eight points higher than the value of eleven (equivalent of a late six, Jets could trade there second six and make it within three points).

I know a trade down would be nice but if the Eagles want to move up, presumably they want a top receiver and the Jets should extract value. At least a future three in addition to the two and certainly not giving a three back.

I guess you have a point. I've never used a value chart to value my mock trades. I always looked at my trades as benefiting both teams, in  otherwords, making a trade that's not just wishful thinking as a Jets fan. I may have left value on the table if charts indicate that. However it'll probably be viewed as a friendly trade than the Jets getting fleeced. 

lol - I feel like VIllian always does trades downs despites the Jets, never, ever, trading down.  I get it though, makes a mock more fun because you get more picks.  About those picks:

I dont see Mims, Cleveland or Akers falling that far.  I think all of them are picked a full round higher.  I personally, would never draft a kicker.

That said, I could be wrong and I'd love this draft but I dont think so.  Mims goes 1st round.  Cleveland 2nd/early 3rd and Akers late 2nd/early 3rd.  I'd love all these guys though.

❤️

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, JiF said:

lol - I feel like VIllian always does trades downs despites the Jets, never, ever, trading down.  I get it though, makes a mock more fun because you get more picks.  About those picks:

I dont see Mims, Cleveland or Akers falling that far.  I think all of them are picked a full round higher.  I personally, would never draft a kicker.

That said, I could be wrong and I'd love this draft but I dont think so.  Mims goes 1st round.  Cleveland 2nd/early 3rd and Akers late 2nd/early 3rd.  I'd love all these guys though.

❤️

Mims is a 1st round talent. I also think Reager is a 1st round talent. 

I dont think either will be drafted in the 1st, especially this year with scouts not on the road and no private sessions happening given CV. 

To be fair, I'd pass out with joy if our draft fell like that. 

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Mims is a 1st round talent. I also think Reager is a 1st round talent. 

I dont think either will be drafted in the 1st, especially this year with scouts not on the road and no private sessions happening given CV. 

To be fair, I'd pass out with joy if our draft fell like that. 

I think Mims is a lock 1st rounder after that combine.  He's freakish and he had a great career to back it up.  Ive read some reports that think he's right there in the mix with the Jeudy/Ruggs/Lamb group.  Definitely see him being selected before Reager who I'm luke warm on and wouldn't love as our first WR selection...but paired with a guy like Mims would be pretty exciting.  If we came away with Jones/Reager/Mims/Akers/Cleveland in any possible combo or just 4 of the 5, I too would be absolutely ecstatic.  I just think it's a little too idealistic. 

25 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think Mims is a lock 1st rounder after that combine.  He's freakish and he had a great career to back it up.  Ive read some reports that think he's right there in the mix with the Jeudy/Ruggs/Lamb group.  Definitely see him being selected before Reager who I'm luke warm on and wouldn't love as our first WR selection...but paired with a guy like Mims would be pretty exciting.  If we came away with Jones/Reager/Mims/Akers/Cleveland in any possible combo or just 4 of the 5, I too would be absolutely ecstatic.  I just think it's a little too idealistic. 

This is definitely a stacked receiver class for sure. It wouldnt be a reach if Mims was a 1st round pick. 

I didnt know much on Mims until I started really looking to finalize my mock. Dude is a beast and could easily force a guy like Ruggs or Jefferson to be pushed down. 

Reager is another good talent. The only thing hard to find is press coverage matches...but that goes for alot of college WRs. 

How many WRs do you see being drafted in the first? I can see the WRs going off the board as early as 11th with us and as late as 17th with the Cowboys. 

It's hard to see the WRs coming off the board in the top 10 picks. This is another reason why I feel like there will be some gems in the 2nd. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This is definitely a stacked receiver class for sure. It wouldnt be a reach if Mims was a 1st round pick. 

I didnt know much on Mims until I started really looking to finalize my mock. Dude is a beast and could easily force a guy like Ruggs or Jefferson to be pushed down. 

Reager is another good talent. The only thing hard to find is press coverage matches...but that goes for alot of college WRs. 

How many WRs do you see being drafted in the first? I can see the WRs going off the board as early as 11th with us and as late as 17th with the Cowboys. 

It's hard to see the WRs coming off the board in the top 10 picks. This is another reason why I feel like there will be some gems in the 2nd. 

I think Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, Mims, Jefferson all go 1st round maybe Higgins, Shenault.  So at least 5. 

Reager strikes me as a guy you're going to have to help get open.  Screens, picks, sweeps, stuff to get the ball in hands.  He's electric, for sure but I'm just not sure he beats coverage enough consistently. Honestly, that's my fear with Jefferson too.  90% of his work came from the slot in a historic offense.  Not sure how he gets open at the next level either.   My top 5 are Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, Mims, Higgins. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Good work here.  My initial reaction is I don't see us using two picks on OT that early.  Fant is probably a lock to start on one side of the other.  We're thin at depth but I think that 3rd round pick could be Edge or CB and be a potential starter for us, whereas Cleveland only starts if Jones busts or he or Fant get hurt.  I might even argue that IOL is more a need than OT (assuming McGovern might be better at OG and I'm not sure about Winters) at that point but it's close.  

At that pick (68) you might see guys like Uche, Bartch, Hennessy, maybe Jaylen Johnson slips.  But it's marginally nit-picking at best.

Cam Akers doesn't last until the 4th but a guy who should that I find intriguing is Antonio Gibson.  Look him up.  Was a WR until his last season but he's a big (6'1" 228 lb), fast (4.39) dude who can catch and has low miles on his tires.  His only real knock is lack of experience at RB but he has all the tools to be a stud if he can put it together.  

I have been checking him out and I am sold on him in the 4 or 5th rounds depending on who's on the board at that time.  He might drop into the 6th but I doubt it.