This is a must trade down year

Web72

10 minutes ago, peebag said:

nothing/everything - usually the Jets just are not in the "honey pot" area of the draft.

It takes two to tango and quite frankly the 11th position isn't the greatest place to entice trade partners.

I don't see how you can be so confident the 11th position isn't a good spot to entice trade partners. Seems to me it will be a very fluid situation depending on 1-10 go. It will depend on who's available and how other teams have them ranked. 

2 hours ago, Web72 said:

With all of the down time I’m experiencing and all the mock simulators available I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s is a must trade down year for us.  We have a million holes to fill and only 8 picks. I’d love to see JD trade down and land another 2,3 & or 4. 

I’ve done a ton of trades on these simulators, some realistic some not, but my favorite ones are us trading down with the Cowboys and adding their 3 & 4 round picks and then picking Josh Jones . 

Or trading back with Philly adding their 2& 3. But according to the sims they’ll only trade if CD is still on the board. 

These magical trade backs dont happen because no one is making that trade. But I'm good with trading back to get 2 more picks. Turn that into a couple lineman etc call  it good.

26 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

I would definitely be looking to trade down.  I like that 17-24 range, grab a gut like Ezra Cleveland or Justin Jefferson and a couple more picks.

Cleveland is exactly the type of lineman we’ve been going after, quick and agile.    I’d be more surprised is we didn’t do something like this instead of staying at 11

• Upvote 2

I did see on one of the cable channels yesterday a mock with the Jets trading our #11 to Miami so they could select the Utah State Qb. We would get like 3 extra picks and the 18th selection in round one. I don’t think that’s going to happen but if it did I’d make that deal. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I did see on one of the cable channels yesterday a mock with the Jets trading our #11 to Miami so they could select the Utah State Qb. We would get like 3 extra picks and the 18th selection in round one. I don’t think that’s going to happen but if it did I’d make that deal. 

And if that QB turns into their next franchise QB for the first time since Dan Marino? As a Franchise we'd never forgive ourselves. 

Which is why it's very rare that teams trade within their own division...

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

And if that QB turns into their next franchise QB for the first time since Dan Marino? As a Franchise we'd never forgive ourselves. 

Which is why it's very rare that teams trade within their own division...

I think as a rule of thumb you're right. But if the return is great we can build up our O line. Our team right now really isn't that bad. We won our last 6 out of 7. As for this guy being another Marino, I doubt it he might be ok, another Tannehill who knows. 

34 minutes ago, Sout0266 said:

Cleveland is exactly the type of lineman we’ve been going after, quick and agile.    I’d be more surprised is we didn’t do something like this instead of staying at 11

I agree 100%.  Cleveland and Fant at the tackle spots are exactly what they seem to want.  Agile and athletic.  The types that can play in space in those wide sets Gase supposedly will employ.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

I wish we knew exactly what Macc was offered for that #3 last year. I prayed that we'd trade down but it wasn't to be.

I think Q will have a real nice year this year and make us all forget his rookie year.

i hope so.  he showed some ability to move the oline out of the way but did play in enough games to really see if he can do it game in and game out.

Based on what I’ve seen from JD to date I think a trade down is more likely than any year in the past.  

Trading down follows a similar thought process of signing mediocre/JAGS in FA.  Meaning JD realizes this team is so devoid of talent that quantity is out weighing quality.  

All of these one year deals suggest he wants to fill the roster with draft picks.  The more bites at the apple he has the more holes he can fill.  

Not saying it’s going to happen, but I think it’s far more likely than in past years. 

Worth considering:

• It's been so long since the Jets have traded down in the first round that it's officially become a joke
  • After years of begging the Jets to trade down, fans now want to stand pat at eleven
  • Despite wanting to stand pat at eleven, fans cannot fathom trading up because the team has too many needs
  • Most of the fan targets at eleven are offensive tackles or wide receivers - but it's not clear the tackles fit what the GM and coach want and the WR tiers are probably more narrow than most are acknowledging - plus the WR draft is crazy deep
  • Almost all of the FA signings this year have been one year deals. The GM clearly wants to build through the draft and has a roster with several short term holes and a ton of long term holes

I look forward to the Jets trading down with a couple of the top targets on the board, fans being livid, landing one fo the top targets after the trade down, Joe Douglas being Ozzie Newsome, and then the Jets taking a corner in the second round and fans being livid again.