Jake Luton QB, Oregon State

I really like this kid and I hope JD takes a flyer on him in the later rounds. It's clear that we have nothing behind Darnold and it's also clear that there are no guarantees that Darnold is the guy. I'd love to see Luton come in and compete, not for the starting position but to keep the QB room competitive with young talent. 

There are alot of pro traits and qualities with Luton. 

Just now, derp said:

Is there a past prospect you’d compare Luton to? Not that I have anyone specific in mind.

This will not help his case AT ALL, but he's the rich man's version of Mike Glennon. ?

Dead serious though. He reminds me of a more athletic Mike Glennon playing in a very Patriots-like offense actually. 

• Sympathy 1

I tell ya what. I like Hodgins. How about drafting him in Rd. 4 or 5. 

When you say no guarantee Darnold is the guy. The thing is, Darnold IS the guy. He's the guy and we are building around him. Unless he starts to seriously regress or has a serious injury he IS the guy and the Jets will resign him to a massive contract. I don;t know how much more 'the guy' you can be. Will he win us a SB or bring us to multiple AFCC Games. I dunno. But Darnold pretty much is the guy. 

But sure, I'm all for competition and I'm all for having a young determined backup. Luton looks pretty good. But ill he be there in the 6th? Cuz I'm not taking a QB any earlier that that. 

33 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I tell ya what. I like Hodgins. How about drafting him in Rd. 4 or 5. 

When you say no guarantee Darnold is the guy. The thing is, Darnold IS the guy. He's the guy and we are building around him. Unless he starts to seriously regress or has a serious injury he IS the guy and the Jets will resign him to a massive contract. I don;t know how much more 'the guy' you can be. Will he win us a SB or bring us to multiple AFCC Games. I dunno. But Darnold pretty much is the guy. 

But sure, I'm all for competition and I'm all for having a young determined backup. Luton looks pretty good. But ill he be there in the 6th? Cuz I'm not taking a QB any earlier that that. 

You're thinking as a fan so I understand your response. 

Im trying to think as JD who's looking to build a team and provide talent, value and competition at all positions. The reality is that Sam is the guy because no one on the team is better than him, but I haven't seen anything out of him that screams that he's without a doubt the guy for the next decade. Anyone saying so is lying to themselves. 

He still has to prove that, and adding talent to the team will help his case, but that talent should also be at his position given that we should be looking to build the best team. 

If he's "the guy" it'll show, if not then good for us we didnt sit on our hands and being suck with the Luke Falks of the world. 

And I also drafted him with one of our two 6th round picks in my mock. 

54 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This will not help his case AT ALL, but he's the rich man's version of Mike Glennon. ?

Dead serious though. He reminds me of a more athletic Mike Glennon playing in a very Patriots-like offense actually. 

LOL dude I have so much respect for you saying that because Glennon was the first guy I thought of and I chuckled to myself. You definitely have a type when it comes to QB’s.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, derp said:

LOL dude I have so much respect for you saying that because Glennon was the first guy I thought of and I chuckled to myself. You definitely have a type when it comes to QB’s.

Im glad that you actually see it. Dude is a really good QB and im sitting here like "This dude reminds me of Mike Glennon without the neck" lol.