Sign in to follow this  
nyjbuddy

2020 NFL Draft: Eight trades that teams should make on Day 1

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001107925/article/2020-nfl-draft-eight-trades-that-teams-should-make-on-day-1

by Chad Reuter

Pasting only the relevant stuff.

Falcons trade No. 16 overall (Round 1) to Jets for No. 11 overall (Round 1)

The Falcons have needs on defense that would be best addressed by the elite players in this draft: defensive tackles Javon Kinlaw or Derrick Brown and linebacker Isaiah Simmons. General manager Thomas Dimitroff has proven himself willing to make first-round trades in the past (he moved up for Julio Jones, Takkarist McKinley and Kaleb McGary). The Jets can fill their need for an edge rusher or receiver in the mid-first round while accumulating more middle-round selections. It sounds like a win-win situation to me.

Jets trade No. 48 overall (Round 2) to 49ers for No. 31 overall (Round 1)

A second Big Apple squad jumps into the fray in this deal, giving up the 48th pick and the third-round selection it received in the Leonard Williams deal with the Giants (No. 68 overall). The Jets have some pressing needs to address, and can spend this pick on a spot they didn't address with their first selection. Receiver, edge rusher, a defensive back or an offensive lineman could all be in play here if a prospect they covet falls to San Francisco's slot. With New England potentially taking a step back without Tom Brady, Buffalo looking to become a regular playoff contender and Miami trying to enhance its roster through a strong draft, the Jets need to be proactive to avoid falling behind.

I expect the Niners, who don't currently hold a pick in Rounds 2-4, to look to move down and pick up additional selections -- especially if there aren't any players that they've graded as first-rounders available at No. 31.

According to the draft value trade chart:

The Atlanta trade would yield at least another 3rd, the 78th overall.

The 49ers trade would cost at least a 3rd, the 79th overall.

Perhaps pull off both?  Jets end up with the 16th and 31st pick and giving up the 11th and 48th.

• Upvote 2

Moving from 48 to 31 puts us in no man's land if Josh Jones, Jefferson, Mims, etc are gone. Not sure who we'd be moving up for in that case. Niang? Don't think we'd have to give up a third there. 

If we're trading up or down, 20-25 is the sweet spot for receivers. 

Moving down from 11 to 16 makes a little more sense. I wouldn't go any lower than that if we want a tackle. 

I can see the Atlanta one since it isn't that far from our own and Douglas may value a player that he's fairly sure the other teams won't make a reach for.  Niners one doesn't make any sense.  Giving up that much for the second to last pick in the first?  What's the value for a specific player group there?  I guess it makes sense if you are a Niners fan.

I think the San Francisco trade would be a draft day deal that would be based on a specific player being available.  It would be easier to swallow if the Atlanta trade was made.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joejet said:

I think the San Francisco trade would be a draft day deal that would be based on a specific player being available.  It would be easier to swallow if the Atlanta trade was made.

That late 1st round pick may be valuable when selecting a borderline 1st round talent that needs time to develop.  Would give them the extra 5th year team option.

• Upvote 2

#11 to #16 = 250 pts

ATL #78(3) = 200 pts

ATL #119(4) = 57 pts

NYJ #211(6) =5.6 pts
———

According to math, we could drop five spots in the 1st round and get back a 3rd and 4th round pick if we give up our later 6th.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001107925/article/2020-nfl-draft-eight-trades-that-teams-should-make-on-day-1

by Chad Reuter

The Falcons have needs on defense that would be best addressed by the elite players in this draft: defensive tackles Javon Kinlaw or Derrick Brown and linebacker Isaiah Simmons. General manager Thomas Dimitroff has proven himself willing to make first-round trades in the past (he moved up for Julio Jones, Takkarist McKinley and Kaleb McGary). The Jets can fill their need for an edge rusher or receiver in the mid-first round while accumulating more middle-round selections. It sounds like a win-win situation to me.

A second Big Apple squad jumps into the fray in this deal, giving up the 48th pick and the third-round selection it received in the Leonard Williams deal with the Giants (No. 68 overall). The Jets have some pressing needs to address, and can spend this pick on a spot they didn't address with their first selection. Receiver, edge rusher, a defensive back or an offensive lineman could all be in play here if a prospect they covet falls to San Francisco's slot. With New England potentially taking a step back without Tom Brady, Buffalo looking to become a regular playoff contender and Miami trying to enhance its roster through a strong draft, the Jets need to be proactive to avoid falling behind.

I expect the Niners, who don't currently hold a pick in Rounds 2-4, to look to move down and pick up additional selections -- especially if there aren't any players that they've graded as first-rounders available at No. 31.

Perhaps pull off both?  Jets end up with the 16th and 31st pick and giving up the 11th and 48th.

I would absolutely love that.

I said in another thread that it would be better to get two picks between 11 and 48 rather having the actual 11 and 48.

We'd get very two very good prospects at OT and WR with good optionality at both those spots (16, 31).  What I mean is that at #16 we could end up with either the 3rd or 4th best WR (think a Ruggs, Mims, Jefferson) or probably the 5th OT (Josh Jones?).  At 31 we'd be looking at similar but lesser options.....WRs like Higgins or Reagor and OTs like Prince Wanogho or Lucas Niang.

Whatever way you slice I think having 16, 31 is better than 11, 48.  Just my opinion.  That 17 spot leap in Round 2 really puts a lot of excellent prospects in play for us.

• Upvote 1

I think if we get offers for moving back from 11 we're moving back. While Juedy is a stud, we've seen too many instances of lower picks becoming great football players. Coming out of this draft with Jones- Mims or Jefferson - CB or Edge and still have two 3s to work with? No Brainer for Joe D. I think if you feel you've got a great group of evaluators, this is the draft to  prove it by having more picks in the top 100. 

Thats why they're paying JD & gave him a 6 year contract. JD ain't scared of no draft! 

The Chad Reuter 4 round mock on NFL.om has us trading down with Atlanta and picking Chaisson.

No thanks.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, jamesr said:

The Chad Reuter 4 round mock on NFL.om has us trading down with Atlanta and picking Chaisson.

No thanks.

If you passed on Simmons only to trade back and take Chaisson, I don't care how many picks you get back, JD should be fired.

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

If you passed on Simmons only to trade back and take Chaisson, I don't care how many picks you get back, JD should be fired.

In that scenario we picked up a third and a fifth. Missed out on top OT, WR etc. Guy doing the mock seemed to fixate on us needing pass rush above all else

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jamesr said:

In that scenario we picked up a third and a fifth. Missed out on top OT, WR etc. Guy doing the mock seemed to fixate on us needing pass rush above all else

Simpletons like those probably think we're now "set" at OT and WR after signing Fant and Perriman.  

We do need an EDGE badly but we have to play triage here.  I'd only consider drafting Chiasson with our second 1st round pick after trading Jamal.    Even then I'd rather go OT-WR or WR-OT and then look at EDGE/CB in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Simpletons like those probably think we're now "set" at OT and WR after signing Fant and Perriman.  

We do need an EDGE badly but we have to play triage here.  

Chaisson worries me anyway ... every write-up I read talks of his potential and his athleticism rather than production. We've been down that road before. Our 1st rounder has to be a "sure thing" - I know there's no guarantees, but we need a guy who can perform Year 1, not Year 3/ 4.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

by Chad Reuter

This is trades for the fun of trading.  Makes no sense.

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Chaisson worries me anyway ... every write-up I read talks of his potential and his athleticism rather than production. We've been down that road before. Our 1st rounder has to be a "sure thing" - I know there's no guarantees, but we need a guy who can perform Year 1, not Year 3/ 4.

Yep.  I'd rather take a shot on an EDGE in the 2nd/3rd rounds.  Or just tell Gregg Williams to do what he can with what he has and not draft a single defensive player until the 4th or later. 

We not only still need at least one more new starter on the OL, we have to build an OL pipeline that Macc never bothered to start.  That's what the middle rounds are there for.

• Upvote 1

These are exactly the types of moves I'd like to see on draft day. Obviously, they need to be made in real time with a few players in mind for the trade down and a specific player in mind for the trade back up, but that's how you work the draft. 

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I would absolutely love that.

I said in another thread that it would be better to get two picks between 11 and 48 rather having the actual 11 and 48.

We'd get very two very good prospects at OT and WR with good optionality at both those spots (16, 31).  What I mean is that at #16 we could end up with either the 3rd or 4th best WR (think a Ruggs, Mims, Jefferson) or probably the 5th OT (Josh Jones?).  At 31 we'd be looking at similar but lesser options.....WRs like Higgins or Reagor and OTs like Prince Wanogho or Lucas Niang.

Whatever way you slice I think having 16, 31 is better than 11, 48.  Just my opinion.  That 17 spot leap in Round 2 really puts a lot of excellent prospects in play for us.

aren't there more favorable rookie contracts for 1st round picks versus 2nd and beyond.  i get the get paid more but it's easier for teams to keep the players rights longer.

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

aren't there more favorable rookie contracts for 1st round picks versus 2nd and beyond.  i get the get paid more but it's easier for teams to keep the players rights longer.

Good question.  The 5th year option is the big difference....

Every player selected in the first round of the NFL Draft will automatically have a Fifth-Year Option added in his contract. This option cannot be separately attached to the player contract.

18 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

by Chad Reuter

I like these moves if we can get Josh Jones at 16 and Higgins at 31. That's assuming JD views Jones as a Franchise LT. That's really the most important thing for the Jets to come out of this draft for me.