Sign in to follow this  
Nixhead

Perfect backup QB for Jets to draft day 3

Khalil Tate!

He is my pick. We don’t need some statue back there. If Sam goes out we need a play maker and a QB that the opposing defense isn’t ready for. He’s our guy! He could actually win a game or 2 for us need be.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Khalil Tate!

He is my pick. We don’t need some statue back there. If Sam goes out we need a play maker and a QB that the opposing defense isn’t ready for. He’s our guy! He could actually win a game or 2 for us need be.

We have way too many holes to be drafting a backup QB at any point in the draft.

3 minutes ago, BAD-MOJO_24_ said:

We have way too many holes to be drafting a backup QB at any point in the draft.

So I guess your just willing to lose games if Sam happens to be out. Sams out - so its over! We can pick this guy up in round 5 or 6 - but Sam will never be out and if he is we will just automatically lose so yeah.

• Thumb Down 1

I’ve seen him play a lot. His big season in 2017 where he had a streak of huge games and was a Heisman consideration was basically on his running ability. In that streak he was getting huge gains and defenses weren’t stopping him. After that he had injuries and teams figured him out and his ground game wasn’t as effective. He has a good not a great arm, is not consistent as a passer and in 2019 he shared the Qb job with a true freshman Qb. He reminds me of Taysom Hill and in that role I think he can be effective. I’d draft him. 

If we needed to draft a back up QB, I like Cole McDonald as a late round flyer.  Has a great deep ball and he is very athletic for a 6’4 220 QB.

I would assume that t he FO would prefer Lynn Bowden, Kentucky’s Superman because of his versatility.  WR, RB, QB.

• Upvote 1

He’s again someone who could have a definite role on the team and maybe special teams. He is capable of breaking one at any time. Someone is going to draft him and he’s going to make their team and play. He’d be a complement to Sam as a change of pace. But not a starter if Sam goes down. 

Only QB I want from the draft is a UDFA.  We have more important positions to focus on with our picks.

• Upvote 2

Never heard of Tate but if Jalen Hurts is sitting there in the fourth I'd take him.  Of course, I'm expecting two each OL/WR in rounds 1-3.

• Upvote 2

As an Oregon fan and reading some of the opinions of Herbert on this board... this post made me laugh out loud.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

E6E58B6E-BF20-4F6C-ACA0-33D99F700E00.jpeg

Its not a bad call actually, he's a decent choice to sit and develop into a good backup.

He uses a lot of upper body to throw, doesn't disassociate his core from his hips enough.  This causes him to use the shoulders and upper torso to throw the ball instead of his hips and leg drive.  Mechanically if he learns how to throw using his legs and shorten up his release (it gets long when he's trying to drive the ball, looks like a baseball pitcher sometimes) he could be a good backup. 

I do like that he has worked under center though and I think that is such an under rated trait for QB's coming out.  

• Upvote 1

I agree with the concept, you don't want a statue as a QB2. Running QBs tend to do better in spot duty than pocket passers. The position is just so complex that you've got to feed your QB1 almost all of the first team reps. A running backup has an unpredictability factor and is a major benefit to a guy stepping into the position for a game or two.

12 hours ago, Nixhead said:

So I guess your just willing to lose games if Sam happens to be out. Sams out - so its over! 

Why not?  What do we have to play for?  This is at best a 3rd place team.