Douglas to address media shortly.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

For Diggs:  "You want whatttt?"  "Ok... best of luck to you."

I'm partial to Hopkins.  Would have made me the happiest Jets fan alive to see him in green. He is, IMO, the best WR in the game.

Agreed. And its not even that close. For what he went for-its even more disappointing we couldn't have worked something out with Bell and picks- but oh well. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"We listened hard to @FidelioJet's plan to sign every big-name free agent out there, we really did.  But ultimately we determined that moves like spending $20M per on a RT with only one knee left would not be wise."

- Joe Douglas on #Jets FA signings

Just because it’s his plan doesn’t make it right.  How often have our GM’s been right?

odds are he’s a failure.  He’s certainly hasn’t built an even competitive roster yet. 

let’s see how it plays out but you certainly shouldn’t be taking victory laps. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 8

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Just because it’s his plan doesn’t make it right.  How often have our GM’s been right?

odds are he’s a failure.  He’s certainly hasn’t built an even competitive roster yet. 

Not true. 

With how many garabage GMs we have had, technically the odds weigh towards him being great.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Well in my view your plan of signing big ticket guys is never right so there is that

• Upvote 1

Just now, johnnysd said:

Well in my view your plan of signing big ticket guys is never right so there is that

I never said to sign big ticket item. Jetfan80 just makes that up. 
I would, although, not like to sign other teams back ups to be our starters.  and then glorify it like it was something special. 

rught now JD is being celebrated by many on this for not signing good players. 
sorry if I want the team to get better. Because it hasn’t.  IMO the team is worse than it was at the start of of FA. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 4
  • WTF? 1

43 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nobody is taking victory laps but you seem to be so sure you are right.  Look we get it you dont like Douglas.  You obviously feel we needed to to do the big ticket free agent route(even though we have done that for many years without any success). Also nobody had even said Douglas had been great.  He still needs to prove himself at the draft

44 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Odds are that every year the Jets will suck and not a win a super bowl, yet we watch every game anyway.

It's called being a fan. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Do we know why Douglas did this media tour today? Seems pretty random, no?

I’ve been trying to figure this out as well.  Could be a pseudo apology/explanation for not spending in FA.  The comment about darnold’s parents was over the top, but reading into it, you’ve got to be excited that he understands that if he doesn’t do everything in his power to fix this offense, darnold is going to walk away as soon as he can.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, slats said:

I continue to believe that Winters is the #1 candidate to be approached for a pay cut before final cuts, with the above camp competitions being a large factor. 

It's never fun to get approached for that but it's certainly fair it's better than being cut, right?  He can take $3-4M pay cut for 2020 or can be released.  He and his agent would really need to know his market value on the street at that point.

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I’ve been trying to figure this out as well.  Could be a pseudo apology/explanation for not spending in FA.  The comment about darnold’s parents was over the top, but reading into it, you’ve got to be excited that he understands that if he doesn’t do everything in his power to fix this offense, darnold is going to walk away as soon as he can.

Except he did very little to build a better Line, and has downgraded his weapons.  

Not sure the Darnold’s are particularly happy right now. 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Except he did very little to build a better Line, and has downgraded his weapons.  

Fidelio I understand your job is to bitch and moan about everything but can you at least wait until we have the draft and the rest of FA?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

At least we’re sure that you’re not happy. Not that there was ever any doubt, but certainty is still a positive in these unprecedented, uncertain times. 

So thanks. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I like the idea of starting with LG Van Roten and RG Winters....and backing those guys up with Alex Lewis and Josh Andrews.  It's a decent depth chart at OG only if Winters is fully recovered.  But I'd also be looking to the Draft for a mid/late round OG prospect.

Let’s hold off until Joe can check with Sam’s mommy and daddy about this, okay?

• Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

At least we’re sure that you’re not happy. Not that there was ever any doubt, but certainty is still a positive in these unprecedented, uncertain times. 

So thanks. 

Fidelio was depressed long before Corona entered our lives.

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Don’t they always do a conference call with the GM post first wave of free agency? Douglas also mentioned he’d be doing another soon, I believe pre and post draft. I could be wrong but I think it’s something our GM’s have done in the past. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They usually have the league meetings around this time (they are doing it virtually this year) and at this meeting the GM or Coach tends to speak. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I never said to sign big ticket item. Jetfan80 just makes that up. 
I would, although, not like to sign other teams back ups to be our starters.  and then glorify it like it was something special. 

rught now JD is being celebrated by many on this for not signing good players. 
sorry if I want the team to get better. Because it hasn’t.  IMO the team is worse than it was at the start of of FA. 

Not sure how, you could think we are worse. McGovern is a flat upgrade. Van Roten is an upgrade. Fant is depth with possible big upside but even if he starts not likely worse than what we had. We resigned the key performers from last year, Hewitt, Burgess, Lewis, Poole. We added versatility at linebacker. Added some depth with upside at CB. We lost Anderson, but signed Perriman which is probably at worst a slight downgrade  and could be a significant upgrade if the last 5 games were not a mirage. 

Plus we get back Avery and Moseley.

Everyone has a second year in Gase and Williams systems. 

Plus we have the draft.

We may not have signed a superstar but we are deeper and better than last year unquestionably.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Crowder and Perriman are the only completely safe WRs on the roster IMO.

Maybe two of those three guys (Vyncint Smith, Josh Doctson, Braxton Berrios) stick into the regular season but that's the group fighting for the WR5/6 spots in training camp with what will likely be two rookies coming onboard.

Berrios wiill stick.  He was the 2nd leading punt returner in the league last year.  That kind of flew under the radar. He is safe. I think it'll come down to Smith and Doctson.

5 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

I don't like this part of his statement, "compete for a starting job".  That's a lot of dough to gamble with! 

It's basically a 1 yr deal with $9.5 million. That's not a lot of money or commitment

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:
Douglas said he wanted #Jets to build a foundation for the right type of people, players and depth. “We wanted to be disciplined financially.” Says he believes #Jets were able to do that.

This is a shot at robbie right? I mean not a shot but just gm speak for I dont want to deal with all the baggage  stuff.  

I am very much looking forward to what happens with Adam's. I mean he is unquestionably a great player. But after that whole cry baby routine last year with the trade talk stuff, and the media hysteria around it, what will joe do?

I hope we can get a draft pick. That would be awesome 

20 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Berrios wiill stick.  He was the 2nd leading punt returner in the league last year.  That kind of flew under the radar. He is safe. I think it'll come down to Smith and Doctson.

Yeah he and the Vincent Smith guy both out played what was suspected. As long as we dont keep worse or keep them.over better players

21 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

This is a shot at robbie right? I mean not a shot but just gm speak for I dont want to deal with all the baggage  stuff.  

I am very much looking forward to what happens with Adam's. I mean he is unquestionably a great player. But after that whole cry baby routine last year with the trade talk stuff, and the media hysteria around it, what will joe do?

I hope we can get a draft pick. That would be awesome 

I'd love to see what teams are offering in a trade for Adams. I'd bet not one team has offered a 1st round pick. You have to consider that not only are they giving up a high pick but that Adams will require a huge long term contract. Remember Adams is a box safety. Much less valuable than QB, LT, edge, CB, OL(RT,C,G) and WR .

I hope JD gives Adams and his agent the okay to seek a trade and then they'll see what teams will give up for him. I'd guess nothing more than a 2nd and a 4th.