HD DVD Wars

PatsFanTX

I know a lot of posters on this board have HD TV's.

I know I now have a very hard time watching anything that is not in HD.

I read an article this past weekend where Sony and Toshiba will be coming out with HD DVD recorders by the end of the year.

The problem is, they both use different types of technology and they are NOT compatible with one another. Just like the Beta-VHS situation with with VCR's.

Another problem is the movie giants are being forced to choose one over another. Disney and Columbia Tr-Star are behind Sony and Universal and Paramount are behind Toshiba.

So I guess my questions to you folks is do you go out and purchase one (anticipated price tag on both models in over $1,000) or wait until the dusts settles and the price comes down?

I know a lot of posters on this board have HD TV's.

I know I now have a very hard time watching anything that is not in HD.

I read an article this past weekend where Sony and Toshiba will be coming out with HD DVD recorders by the end of the year.

The problem is, they both use different types of technology and they are NOT compatible with one another. Just like the Beta-VHS situation with with VCR's.

I'll wait like I do everytime for every other electronic gizmo I want. I refuse to pay $1000 for something that plugs into a wall. The only area in which that creed pains me is my refusal to get a HD TiVo for my DirecTV but again, I'm not dropping a cool $1K on that.

When the price comes down I'll snatch one up. They aren't going anywhere and will only get cheaper and better.

Another problem is the movie giants are being forced to choose one over another. Disney and Columbia Tr-Star are behind Sony and Universal and Paramount are behind Toshiba.

So I guess my questions to you folks is do you go out and purchase one (anticipated price tag on both models in over $1,000) or wait until the dusts settles and the price comes down?

Tx:

You should wait. Wait wait wait. Anytime new technology is involved and there is a fight over standards never guess.

The industry is stronger when they can agree. But that doesn't always happen. So every company makes there own push and only time will tell who wins.

How annoying is it to buy a memory card now? Flash, SD, SONY, Compact Flash...come on how many damn options do we need.

I will say this...watching a movie in High Def is going to take a little getting used to. It will seem strange at first.

Tx:

You should wait. Wait wait wait. Anytime new technology is involved and there is a fight over standards never guess.

The industry is stronger when they can agree. But that doesn't always happen. So every company makes there own push and only time will tell who wins.

How annoying is it to buy a memory card now? Flash, SD, SONY, Compact Flash...come on how many damn options do we need.

I will say this...watching a movie in High Def is going to take a little getting used to. It will seem strange at first.

Totally agree with you Max.

No way I'm jumping in at a grand a pop.

My kin folk can't wait for the HD DVD version of Deliverence.

Archived