Clowney dropping his price...

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

16 million is the sweet spot. 

Offer him 4 years 64 million with 50 million guaranteed, call it a day then go get our WR. 

The one thing I like is that signing Clowney (or trading for Ngakoue) takes the Edge rusher need off the list for the first 3-4 rounds of the Draft.

I know everyone here is focused on OLine and WR early in the Draft, and some am I, but I would also be targeting an Edge rusher somewhere in the 2nd-4th rounds.  A guy like Baun (if he somehow dropped to 2), Josh Uche in the 3rd, a Kenny Willekes in the 4th...or late 3rd if we traded down, etc.  I want us to get a young Edge rusher in this Draft.   But signing Clowney let's the Jets go full tilt at WR, OT, OT, WR in this Draft before finally hitting some CBs in the late rounds.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

How is he a 3 time Pro Bowler when his best 3 seasons were 9.5, 9 and 6 sacks?
Jenkins had 15 the last two years and he s getting 5 million to play this year.

When I was on the ESPN message boards a decade ago. They use to say Revis sucked due to having zero INTs. 

• Upvote 4

Jets have spoken to Jadeveon Clowney

20 mins ago

Jadeveon Clowney is the top free agent from PFT’s top 100 list still on the open market, so it stands to reason that teams with needs in their front seven would check in with his camp.

The Jets have those kind of needs and General Manager Joe Douglas was asked about the team’s interactions with the free agent on a Wednesday conference call. Douglas said they have been in contact with Clowney and suggested they’ve also spoken to other players who could improve the edge of their defense.

“We’re going to do our due diligence on everyone who’s out there — especially at edge rusher,” Douglas said, via Ralph Vacchiano of SNY.

The Jets re-signed Jordan Jenkins, who led them in sacks in 2019, last month. Markus Golden and Everson Griffen are other players who could help the Jets or other teams looking for help in that area.

He's a MUST signing for that price. 

We'd then have impact players @ every level of the defense for Gregg Williams to unleash on a Bradyless division. 

Quinnen Williams, C.J Mosley/Avery Williamson, Jadeveon Clowney and Marcus Maye/Jamal Adams. 

That can become 2000 Baltimore Ravens like and better than our 2009 Jets Defense!

That is a crazy core group on defenders on defense and some say that Brian Poole is the best nickel back in the league right now. Forget about it!

I can not imagine a defensive trio of C.J Mosley, Jadeveon Clowney and Jamal Adams on the same field together; with Gregg Williams calling the shots and designing the X's and O's. I just can not imagine. 

Jadeveon Clowney is more than just someone who can pin his ears back and pressure quarterbacks as he's one of the greatest edge setting and run stuffing machines who lives behind the L.O.S with him and Jenkins opposite one another lol you aren't running against us and a duo of Clowney/Jenkins as pass rushers would become so much fun to watch omg.

Please Joe Douglas make it happen!

Instantly becomes the best OLB/DE/Edge that we've featured dating back to John Abraham of 2000-2005 (see for yourselves).

People who look at "box score sack numbers" probably have never once seen him play a full game, ever.

For the one's who said he "did nothing" for Seattle last year (clueless). 

One of the very best players in the game today (especially on defense)!

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

When I was on the ESPN message boards a decade ago. They use to say Revis sucked due to having zero INTs. 

No one with half a brain ever said Revis sucked.  The QB ratings throwing at him were historically low.  If you can find those comments Id love to see them.  A pass rusher is judged on how often he gets to the QB.  Hence Len Williams getting traded despite multiple" Pressures".

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

16 million is the sweet spot. 

Offer him 4 years 64 million with 50 million guaranteed, call it a day then go get our WR. 

100! Get this done today and move on. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

32 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

This is a tough one. 

I think I’d rather overpay for one year @ 19/20, then sign him long term - especially since we might not be able to bring him in for a medical and he’s had issues in the past. 

For one year? I’d be happy to roll the dice and pay a premium for it. 

I'd be shocked if Clowney's agent would allow him to sign a "prove it" deal with a team like the Jets who's coach and staff are notorious for having constant injury issues with their players, while at the same time having past players file injury grievance against the team. Not to mention the ability to control him after that one year with a franchise tag while in his prime years. 

If we can get him on a prove it deal, I'd take it for sure, but if that's all that Clowney can get he should take it then fire his agent. This guy isnt washed up, and even with the injury history, he's impactful on the field. 

22 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

It's going to happen. I know it.  

Defense (still) Wins Championships.

Especially within a Bradyless division and without Kelly and Marino both long gone too. 

Lock up Clowney and watch Sam Darnold begin to ball out as a 3rd year QB with Jerry Jeaudy as his #1 behind a Defense that's ready for a Super Bowl run!

Joe Douglas is going to make this happen - while attacking a Tom Bradyless division @ the same time. 

Best QB = Check. 

Best Defense = Check (with Clowney).

AFC East Contenders = Check Mate. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

How is he a 3 time Pro Bowler when his best 3 seasons were 9.5, 9 and 6 sacks?
Jenkins had 15 the last two years and he s getting 5 million to play this year.

Because there's more to playing LB than sacking the QB. 

Do those things and get 9.5, 9 and 6 sacks and you can easily make the Pro Bowl

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

It's going to happen. I know it.  

Defense (still) Wins Championships.

Especially within a Bradyless division and without Kelly and Marino both long gone too. 

Lock up Clowney and watch Sam Darnold begin to ball out as a 3rd year QB with Jerry Jeaudy as his #1 behind a Defense that's ready for a Super Bowl run!

@Jetsfan80

lol

NO.. there's a reason his team traded him in the first place. He was touted as being lazy coming out of college remember? When he gets his big payday he will go back to being that guy.

No Clowney, No Griffin, No Trent Williams. NO.. to everybody else's overpriced damaged JUNK!!!

Anybody worth of f*** was tagged or paid already.  We should have got Shaq Barrett when he was available for peanuts last year like I said. Or Dante Fowler Jr....I believe they both got the franchise tag.

I want our GM to keep making smart moves. So I say no to Clowney, Antonio Brown, OBJ,  Flacco,  Trent Williams, Griffen, , or any other washed up clown Problem Child that nobody else wants.

Trade... Bell, Mosely, Adams, Williamson  or whoever we can for more draft picks...  then draft Curtis Weaver!!

Go check out his highlight reel on YouTube if you want to see a game changer!

I sh*t you not-

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Statistically he's great against the run.  But as a team we were already Top 5 in that regard.  Statistically he's been mediocre against the pass and isn't ranked that much higher than Tarrell Basham.  Why is everyone so in love with this guy?

Because he's the last big name left on the open market.

Meanwhile I'm just sitting here waiting on Everson Griffen news.  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because he's the last big name left on the open market.

Meanwhile I'm just sitting here waiting on Everson Griffen news.  

I'd take either one at the appropriate $$.

It would be nice to check off the Edge box prior to the Draft and then just be opportunistic in the mid/late rounds if a developmental pass rusher drops into the Jets lap say around the 5th or 6th round.

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Chiefs put up 31 points against the league's # 1 defense in the Super Bowl last year.

No, it doesn't.  

And the Chiefs defense only allowed 19.2 points per game and 310 total points. Which was 7th in the league, barely edging SF who was 8th overall (19.4 ppg, 310 total points).

As great as Mahomes and that offense was (and Mahomes himself wasn't even on his A game in the SB), they wouldn't have made it that far if their defense wasn't equally as good.

Defense will ALWAYS matter, no matter how hard the media and the fans alike try to make it obsolete

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, King P said:

And the Chiefs defense only allowed 19.2 points per game and 310 total points. Which was 7th in the league, barely edging SF who was 8th overall (19.4 ppg, 310 total points).

As great as Mahomes and that offense was (and Mahomes himself wasn't even on his A game in the SB), they wouldn't have made it that far if their defense wasn't equally as good.

Defense will ALWAYS matter, no matter how hard the media and the fans alike try to make it obsolete

Matters, yes.  Wins championships, no.  You can win a title with a mediocre defense.  Its almost impossible in today's NFL to win a title with a mediocre offense.

FO had the Chiefs as the # 13 defense, btw.  

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Chiefs put up 31 points against the league's # 1 defense in the Super Bowl last year.

No, it doesn't.  

I'm not putting my faith in a frauds defense who's defenses have usually always ranks in the 20's (and 30s). That was one of the fakest #1 defenses I've ever seen and scared no one. 

You don't even know what #1 Defense looks like - if you just used N.E's defense as a measuring stick - you don't know no #1 defense (but I can teach you). 

Just to name a few:

The Pittsburgh Steelers Steel Curtain Defenses throughout the 1970's (4 Championships).

1984 San Francisco 49ers Defense (4 Pro Bowlers in their secondary alone; The original Legion of Boom)

85' Chicago Bears Defense (the year I was born ala 'Defense is in my DNA').

1986 N.Y Giants Defense.

2000 Baltimore Ravens Defense.

2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Defense. 

2008 Pittsburgh Steelers Defense. 

2012 Baltimore Ravens Defense. 

2013's Legion of Boom Defense (Seattle Seahawks).

2015 Denver Broncos Defense

Etc, etc (and many more). 

Don't talk to me about defense ever again. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Matters, yes.  Wins championships, no.  You can win a title with a mediocre defense.  Its almost impossible in today's NFL to win a title with a mediocre offense.

FO had the Chiefs as the # 13 defense, btw.  

Don't look at those heavy analytic based sites. Plus they're probably factoring other things such as turnovers and yards allowed. The Chiefs were bad against the run, which probably knocked them down.

But I checked how many points KC's D allowed, and only 6 teams allowed less. Top 10 in points allowed is a very good D, no matter how you slice it.

And yes defense helps win championships. You need balance to win. That includes defense

• Upvote 1