Two WR's in the 1st 4 rds

Really liking the big, freaky WR's this year. Unpopular opinion but I am not sold on the gadget WR's like Raeger, Ruggs, or Hamler.

I would love to see Wirfs or Wills in the first then 2 of these bigger WR's picked up within rds 2-4:  Thoughts? 

Tee Higgins

Denzel Mims

Michael Pittman Jr. 

Chase Claypool

• Upvote 4

My thoughts are that i'm with ya, I'd like the Jets to get a big target for Sam.  Except Ruggs is not exactly a gadget WR, he transcends that completely. Hamler is not a gadget WR, he is a slot WR. Reagor is an outside WR but he may be forced to play in the slot in the NFL just b/c of his size. Lynn Bowden out of Kentucky is a 'gadget' WR. If you are talking about some of the top ranked WRs I'd argue Shenault is a 'gadget' WR but that would be underestimating his abilities. He's more of a do-it-all type. 

If Higgins or Mims is there for us in Rd. 2 and we took care of OT I would LOVE to pick one of them up. 

I also love Claypool. I think his upside is through the roof, and he can still be an immediate weapon if used properly. 

A few other favorites include Cephus, Gandy-Golden and Peoples-Jones.    

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Really liking the big, freaky WR's this year. Unpopular opinion but I am not sold on the gadget WR's like Raeger, Ruggs, or Hamler.

I would love to see Wirfs or Wills in the first then 2 of these bigger WR's picked up within rds 2-4:  Thoughts? 

Tee Higgins

Denzel Mims

Michael Pittman Jr. 

Chase Claypool

love it - we're on the same wavelength broski

jordan klepper cheers GIF by Comedy Central

14 minutes ago, A.J. said:

Claypool had a monster combine and will be a steal for someone.

If he moves to TE I would agree. There was a reason why people were shocked how well he did at the combine....it's because he never played to those numbers at ND. He's the complete definition of someone rising only because of his combine, not because of his tape. Those type of players scare the sh*t out of me but I'd totally be on board if they used him as a H-back/Te hybrid.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Mims, Justin Jefferson, Higgins, Pittman, Peoples-Jones, Van Jefferson

I mean, it looks like the first three of those could be first rounders or early second rounders and be gone by our picks, but I'd take Peoples-Jones and Pittman all day in rounds 2-3 or both of them in the third. 

I absolutely agree with double dipping @ WR and double dipping @ OT in this draft.

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

If he moves to TE I would agree. There was a reason why people were shocked how well he did at the combine....it's because he never played to those numbers at ND. He's the complete definition of someone rising only because of his combine, not because of his tape. Those type of players scare the sh*t out of me but I'd totally be on board if they used him as a H-back/Te hybrid.

Not scary at round 3-4 though yea? 

2 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Not scary at round 3-4 though yea? 

Not at all. I genuinely like the player a lot if he embraces the move to TE, which it seems he is doing. He'd be a weapon against LB's and safeties. but not so much going against a CB every play. JMO

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RobR said:

Scheme plays a big part of it too. ND likes to run the ball and while Book is probably the best QB they’ve had in a long time he’s not exactly a stud prospect either. I don’t think Claypool is big enough to play in-line TE but flexed out where a LB or S has to cover him and that could be something.

• Upvote 1

I like the bigger receivers and would like two in the first four rounds. Maybe this was misinformation but here’s Douglas at the combine:

”Speed creates pressure. Pressure bursts pipes. When you have 1 guy who can run by you, you worry. When you have 3 guys, that really puts teams in a bind. When you have that explosive dynamic, you can have 3-point shooters.”

Perriman fits the speed mold.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, A.J. said:

I don’t think Claypool is big enough to play in-line TE but flexed out where a LB or S has to cover him and that could be something.

Totally agree. If you're looking for someone to fill that outside big body of a receiver I don't think Claypool is your guy even though he tested through the roof. Put him in the right position and he is absolutely a weapon.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Mims, Justin Jefferson, Higgins, Pittman, Peoples-Jones, Van Jefferson

I mean, it looks like the first three of those could be first rounders or early second rounders and be gone by our picks, but I'd take Peoples-Jones and Pittman all day in rounds 2-3 or both of them in the third. 

I absolutely agree with double dipping @ WR and double dipping @ OT in this draft.

I’m on board for moving back if Wills and Wirfs arnt there at 11. Move into the second half of the first round to get Jefferson, Mims, or Higgins. After that we could look towards a OT in Austin Jackson, Wilson, or Cleveland in the second. That would be a dream plan B scenario in my book. 

4 hours ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Tee Higgins

Denzel Mims

Michael Pittman Jr. 

Chase Claypool

Would love any of those guys. I want 2 OL in first 4 picks and at least one wideout.  

I think Mims is a late first rounder, Higgins early 2nd.  I like Claypool over Pittman but could be wrong.

I don’t think Fant is legit but am happy to have him as a fallback.  So I’d love OT at 11 and double down in the 2nd with Jackson, Niang, Prince.  Let them and Edoga battle it out with Fant. 

Then get a wideout in the 3rd

13 hours ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Tee Higgins

Denzel Mims

Michael Pittman Jr. 

Chase Claypool

I agree with you on Pittman, finding a good redone target who blocks well can really help an offense.  But as far as Ruggs and Hamler, we have seen what speed can do to open up the field and thats just Hamler, Ruggs has the potential to be a legitimate #1, Hamler could be Desean Jackson which is fine with me for any second rounder.

As an aside - SI.com did a deep dive article on Judy and I didnt realize that he is such an exceptional route runner who puts so much work into the craft.  Its a great read, and considering route running and LOS "get off" is what made Antonio Brown so great, I can see Jeudy being the pick at 11 if he is there.

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, RobR said:

Not at all. I genuinely like the player a lot if he embraces the move to TE, which it seems he is doing. He'd be a weapon against LB's and safeties. but not so much going against a CB every play. JMO

Claypool or Pittman?  Pick one for the Jets.  I was torn, but took Pittman

I agree with you on Jeudy and wouldn’t be sad if Ruggs was selected just because of his ceiling. The Jets have painted themselves into a corner where they need to have an A+ draft to infuse top level young talent into the roster. I would say the biggest depth at Any position would be WR this year.
So why not draft later with those picks? Ruggs, Jeudy, and Lamb May be all pros but I would take an all pro OT over that with two big, plug and play,  WR to bookend Crowder all day. Like I said those top 3 WR in this draft are beasts and I’m sure will have good careers and wouldn’t be mad if we got any of them but I think we should get creative. 

24 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

If we could move back in the 1st, take a Josh Jones or Austin Jackson, while adding another 2nd, we should take 2 wr’s in the 2nd.

Love the idea of grabbing Jones later in the first after a move back with maybe Philly or the Vikings. Would really like to grab a CB like Cam Dantzler if we were to move back and pick up another 2nd rounder. Those two with two WR like Pittman and Higgins before the end of the Third would be an A+ draft IMO.  

9 hours ago, Dcat said:

Claypool or Pittman?  Pick one for the Jets.  I was torn, but took Pittman

That is a tough one because they will probably play different positions in the NFL. Gun to my head I'd probably go Pittman also because WR is such a dire need for this team.

• Upvote 1

On 4/1/2020 at 6:45 PM, GangGreen Machine said:

Tee Higgins

Denzel Mims

Michael Pittman Jr. 

Chase Claypool

For me this is a no brainer as Michael Pittman and  Denzel Mims are outstanding prospects who should have big time careers in the NFL. Pittman is flying a little under the radar but he is a big bodied receiver who can do it all and who might have the best hands of this draft class. Mims is a beast, an incredible athlete who can get deep and stretch the field but also run the entire route tree. He is an NFL All Pro waiting to happen. If the Jets ever managed to get BOTH it would be a great day for the franchise.

My oldest daughter went to Notre Dame and my twin daughters went to Clemson so I have watched every snap that Claypool and Higgins have played in college either live or on TV so I think I have some good perspective.  RobR already nailed it on Claypool who can be successful in the NFL but he is scheme dependent. Think of how the Giants use Evan Engram.  He is not a traditional TE nor is he is an x receiver because in college he NEVER could get separation and got most of his catches by out muscling smaller DB's for the ball. I don't care how well he tested at the combine. He will be over drafted and will disappoint if not used properly.

Higgins is vastly over rated as he was unable to separate against college DB's as he lacks elite athleticism which was painfully on display at the combine. His production comes from being on a great team with weapons all around him as well as his great ability to out jump/muscle opponents for the ball. He won't be able to live on that against NFL corners. He probably will be drafted way too high as I would n't touch him until maybe late in the 3rd.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mackman55 said:

For me this is a no brainer as Michael Pittman and  Denzel Mims are outstanding prospects who should have big time careers in the NFL. Pittman is flying a little under the radar but he is a big bodied receiver who can do it all and who might have the best hands of this draft class. Mims is a beast, an incredible athlete who can get deep and stretch the field but also run the entire route tree. He is an NFL All Pro waiting to happen. If the Jets ever managed to get BOTH it would be a great day for the franchise.

My oldest daughter went to Notre Dame and my twin daughters went to Clemson so I have watched every snap that Claypool and Higgins have played in college either live or on TV so I think I have some good perspective.  RobR already nailed it on Claypool who can be successful in the NFL but he is scheme dependent. Think of how the Giants use Evan Engram.  He is not a traditional TE nor is he is an x receiver because in college he NEVER could get separation and got most of his catches by out muscling smaller DB's for the ball. I don't care how well he tested at the combine. He will be over drafted and will disappoint if not used properly.

Higgins is vastly over rated as he was unable to separate against college DB's as he lacks elite athleticism which was painfully on display at the combine. His production comes from being on a great team with weapons all around him as well as his great ability to out jump/muscle opponents for the ball. He won't be able to live on that against NFL corners. He probably will be drafted way too high as I would n't touch him until maybe late in the 3rd.

It seems a done deal that Mims is a first rounder. I wonder if we could slide a few spots and pick up a second rounder to snag him in the second half of the first. I’m thinking Pittman with that second rounder we picked up and an OT with our original 2nd? We could go after an edge rusher/CB/ or IOL with our third rounders. 

On 4/1/2020 at 8:34 PM, RobR said:

Amen brother. As Parcells used to say  "show me his game tapes". Tape don't lie.

• 1 year later...
On 4/1/2020 at 3:45 PM, GangGreen Machine said:

Tee Higgins

Denzel Mims

Michael Pittman Jr. 

Chase Claypool

Wow what a turnout this was. Still really sad Mims hasnt put it all together yet.

Lets not foul this up. Burks, Watson, Skyy Moore, or London please. Ill settle for just one this year if it means we draft a TE :) 

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

This thread… all of those WRs and OTs hit except the pair we got. ?

Mims is just a weird situation. He showed tons of promise under Gase, but just does not seem to fit with LaFleur and Saleh. He seems like a more introverted type that needs a lot of positive affirmation and maybe a simpler set of duties to succeed and I think our coaching staff gives him the opposite.

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Mims is just a weird situation. He showed tons of promise under Gase, but just does not seem to fit with LaFleur and Saleh. He seems like a more introverted type that needs a lot of positive affirmation and maybe a simpler set of duties to succeed and I think our coaching staff gives him the opposite.

That’s a lot to infer from best writers. I figured he just struggled with the playbook and/or never got back to 100% healthy. I think he could be a sleeper for us next year / I hope.