WR Value in Round 1 - No Bueno (Lamb too)

Draft one of the BIG 4 OL in the 1st. If they are gone, more value a WR at 11 or trade down. Judey & CeeDee are both elite. BIG XII Football is a different game than other P5 for sure. That said, don't discount the talent at any position including WR. CeeDee Lamb will be a star in the NFL. 

Look at Marques Hollywood Brown for Ravens. Jets are really in a unique spot at 11. Glad I'm not making that decision. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I heard a quote once (don't remember whose it was) regarding the top of the draft (round 1) and who you draft and it said (I'm paraphrasing): you pick the QB, the guy that goes after the QB (pass rusher), the guy that protects the QB (OT), the guy that the QB throws to (WR) or the guy that covers the guy a QB throws to (CB). In that order (I beleive).

I thought it made sense.  

I'm mentally preparing myself for a corner or edge to be drafted in rd 1.

Agree that WR is a crapshoot and there might be a couple stud WRs still on the board day 3.

Douglas appears to be looking for specific characteristics for his OL. I can totally see him passing up the safe rd 1 OT for a guy with crazy measurables on day 3.

Then his buddy Jeremiah mocks a CB rd 1 pick for us and the other nfl.com mock draft guys follow suit?

Yep, the writing is on the wall...

14 hours ago, JetsLife said:

I used to be enamored of wide receivers in round 1. But I recently realized I haven't been for some time - it's wasted value unless it's an otherworldly talent like Randy Moss. 

Round 1 value is in franchise-defining positions, and that basically boils down to QB in today's era (unless the player is a HOF talent). In prior eras other positions like RB provided good value in round 1. Not now. And especially not for WRs IMO. Just seems drafting a WR round 1 is sinking way too much value in one basket. 

I prefer building the most dominant o-line in the league, and fill in from there. And to do that I'm open to trading down, amass max day 1 & day 2 picks possible and go from there. 

And Lamb out of Oklahoma: just as I advised Jets brass several years ago not to draft Mayfield, same reason now - they don't play defense in the Big 12. You must discount their offensive numbers by what, 50%? Big 12 skill position numbers always look good on paper - in the NFL they've tended to bust out.

maybe except the only way to get a game changing wr on the cheap is in the first round .  a first round pick means a team has the player for 5 seasons and wr probably translates better from the college to pro game better than most.

14 hours ago, RJIII said:

Draft one of the BIG 4 OL in the 1st. If they are gone, more value a WR at 11 or trade down. Judey & CeeDee are both elite. BIG XII Football is a different game than other P5 for sure. That said, don't discount the talent at any position including WR. CeeDee Lamb will be a star in the NFL. 

Look at Marques Hollywood Brown for Ravens. Jets are really in a unique spot at 11. Glad I'm not making that decision. 

I think this is the first post that I ever read from you that doesn't mention Mahomes.

• Haha 3

Bill Walsh once said (paraphrasing) “build the team, then worry about the receivers.”

The game is a little different now. I’d say build the team and then worry about the running backs.

But it all comes back to which OT is on the board, if any. We shouldn’t just take ANY OT over Jeudy or Ruggs.

Wills and Bechton I say you definitely take if they’re at 11. 

Wirfs / Jeudy is a toss up. Can go either way.

Thomas / Jeudy or Ruggs. I’m taking Jeudy then Ruggs then Thomas.

15 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I think Jeudy could be a once in a life time WR  if he can duplicate what he has done in college. I have never seen a guy break ankles with such regularity.  It's like trying to guard Steph Curry driving the lane. 

I see your Steph Curry and raise you a James Harden.  Harden definitely has upped his ankle-breaking game the last few seasons.

19 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

But it all comes back to which OT is on the board, if any. We shouldn’t just take ANY OT over Jeudy or Ruggs.

EXACTLY. People on this board keep saying "take a tackle no matter what" or "take a receiver no matter what".

JD has a draft board for a reason. IF, and only IF, a tackle that JD believes is worthy of a #11 pick, above the top receivers, is available at 11, THEN take the tackle. If not, then take the receiver (Jeudy in my opinion). That is how you build a great team. You develop a solid draft board and let the board run the draft. Don't overreach for need.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Bill Walsh once said (paraphrasing) “build the team, then worry about the receivers.”

The game is a little different now. I’d say build the team and then worry about the running backs.

Bill Walsh - the guy who traded multiple first round picks to get Jerry rice.

15 hours ago, RJIII said:

agree. Lamb is a Hopkins looking receiver and he makes some tough catches. I like Lamb. I also am glad I am not making the decision though I will probably be disappointed in whatever JD does initially. then warm up to it, then Gase will burn it down.

30 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

kind of depends on how much the tackles fall off from the top 4 or 5.  according to the draft tracker, wills is ranked highest with a 6.85 followed by becton with 6.74.  and then there is a cluster ranking from 6.49-thomas and 6.34-jackson.  there are 8 olinemen in that second group.  of course not all of these guys played tackle.  kind of the same at wr with lamb 6.81, jeudy 6.8 and ruggs 6.70 followed b 9 guys from 6.5 down to 6.33.

if the draft tracker is a true representation of how good these guys play or transition to the nfl then none of them is a sure fire all pro.

15 hours ago, tdoublee said:

Agree that WR is a crapshoot and there might be a couple stud WRs still on the board day 3.

Douglas appears to be looking for specific characteristics for his OL. I can totally see him passing up the safe rd 1 OT for a guy with crazy measurables on day 3.

Then his buddy Jeremiah mocks a CB rd 1 pick for us and the other nfl.com mock draft guys follow suit?

What are our main needs right now? 

OL, WR, CB and Edge? Between those 4 spots, you pick the best value player. And target others in round 2 and then 3. But first pick shouldn’t be a reach. 

• Upvote 1

I don’t care about building a super unit OL

I just want a decent OL that can keep Darnold on his feet and open up the occasional lane for Bell.

You can have an awesome OL, but if you have dick for playmakers, who cares? You’re going to be regulated to the 1960’s “ground and pound” sh*t that Rex preached.

I guarantee you that unlike the fans and media pundits, Douglas and his scouts don’t have all 4-5 of the top OT’s rated on the same scale. And I’d bet they have someone like Jeudy or Ruggs ranked ahead of at least 2 of them.

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t care about building a super unit OL

I just want a decent OL that can keep Darnold on his feet and open up the occasional lane for Bell.

You can have an awesome OL, but if you have dick for playmakers, who cares? You’re going to be regulated to the 1960’s “ground and pound” sh*t that Rex preached.

I guarantee you that unlike the fans and media pundits, Douglas and his scouts don’t have all 4-5 of the top OT’s rated on the same scale. And I’d bet they have someone like Jeudy or Ruggs ranked ahead of at least 2 of them.

Jeudy could be top 5-6 on many draft boards.  Andrew Thomas could be 15 or lower.  Tough choice for first year gm. 

17 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I heard a quote once (don't remember whose it was) regarding the top of the draft (round 1) and who you draft and it said (I'm paraphrasing): you pick the QB, the guy that goes after the QB (pass rusher), the guy that protects the QB (OT), the guy that the QB throws to (WR) or the guy that covers the guy a QB throws to (CB). In that order (I beleive).

I thought it made sense.  

Problem with the OTs is not only do at least 3-4 teams in front of us needs OTs, i.e Giants, Cardinals, Browns, etc. but the one that could be left over may not be the best fit for our scheme. If that is the case we have the choice of a trade down and maybe get OT Jones if he is a fit for our scheme, but 2 aspects of that is A a trade partner and B will Jones still be available where we trade down to. The trade partner may occur if we trade with Raiders or Niners that want the elite WR, but maybe for all those reasons we take a more sure thing of that elite WR and not hope after a trade down we still get a very high prospect that we want.

14 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Problem with the OTs is not only do at least 3-4 teams in front of us needs OTs, i.e Giants, Cardinals, Browns, etc. but the one that could be left over may not be the best fit for our scheme. If that is the case we have the choice of a trade down and maybe get OT Jones if he is a fit for our scheme, but 2 aspects of that is A a trade partner and B will Jones still be available where we trade down to. The trade partner may occur if we trade with Raiders or Niners that want the elite WR, but maybe for all those reasons we take a more sure thing of that elite WR and not hope after a trade down we still get a very high prospect that we want.

In my mind, if the 4 OTs go before #11, we go WR or see if we can trade down a few slots.

JD mentioned in yesterday's presser that he will still be focusing on OL and playmakers in this draft.  He also hinted that the signings he made in FA, gives him the necessary flexibility to do so with much less urgency based on need.  How much of this is just JD's "poker face" presentation of how he'll approach this draft.  As opposed to his true assessment of what he accomplished with these FA signings, remains to be seen. 

To me...this is an indication that JD is not going to settle for whatever leftover tackles remain there at pick #11.  Because he may have rated close enough to the consensus 3rd and 4th rated tackles...on JD's very own Big Board...players like Josh Jones, Austin Jackson, Ezra Cleveland, or even Prince Tega Wanogho and Isaiah Wilson.  We just don't know how JD values them.  He could be content to take any two of them between rounds 2-4.  Especially if he's focused on acquiring tackles for Gase's wide splits and zone blocking schemes.  Square pegs into round holes won't make sense.  The goal is to put together an effective OL that can provide solid protection and for improving the run game.  This draft-FA...is not going to result in an Armada OL.  The OL improvement process will continue in next years FA-draft for sure. 

How much longer can Jets wait before elite WR weapons are acquired  for Darnold and Gase's passing game?   Talent exists in rounds 2-4.  IMO none of them are as ready made and polished to have a major impact  as Jeudy.  He's already a professional route runner extroadnaire.  In a class by himself.  Jeudy is a nightmare for opposing defenses to contend with.   

Yes...give Darnold protection.  A must...is also to give him a scary wideout that can consistently get open and make big plays too.  Jets need more balance on offense to complement GW's defense.  If this can be accomplished...Jets can effectively compete for the wide open AFCE...now! 

And IMO... Jeudy is the valuable single puzzle piece...to help accomplish this, if Jets stay at pick #11.  

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I think Jeudy could be a once in a life time WR  if he can duplicate what he has done in college. I have never seen a guy break ankles with such regularity.  It's like trying to guard Steph Curry driving the lane. 

17 hours ago, nycdan said:

I see your Steph Curry and raise you a James Harden.  Harden definitely has upped his ankle-breaking game the last few seasons.

That might be it for me if that happens. If it’s anything but T or WR I’m done with this team.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31:32

On 4/1/2020 at 9:42 PM, JetsLife said:

I used to be enamored of wide receivers in round 1. But I recently realized I haven't been for some time - it's wasted value unless it's an otherworldly talent like Randy Moss. 

Round 1 value is in franchise-defining positions, and that basically boils down to QB in today's era (unless the player is a HOF talent). In prior eras other positions like RB provided good value in round 1. Not now. And especially not for WRs IMO. Just seems drafting a WR round 1 is sinking way too much value in one basket. 

I prefer building the most dominant o-line in the league, and fill in from there. And to do that I'm open to trading down, amass max day 1 & day 2 picks possible and go from there. 

And Lamb out of Oklahoma: just as I advised Jets brass several years ago not to draft Mayfield, same reason now - they don't play defense in the Big 12. You must discount their offensive numbers by what, 50%? Big 12 skill position numbers always look good on paper - in the NFL they've tended to bust out.

I'm a HUGE Big 12 hater, cant even watch that league.  I used to adamant to stay away from Big 12 QB's and then Pat Mahomes pooped all over that theory.  That said as I started to think more about who is in the NFL at a skills positions from the conference, only 1 or 2 names come to mind that didnt in the state of Oklahoma, Michael Crabtree and Jeremy Maclin.  Otherwise, every player that comes to mind from the Big 12 in recent years that are good played in the state of Oklahoma; Dez Bryant, Chris Carson, Dede Westbrook, Hollywood Brown, Joe Mixon, Mark Andrews, Samarje Perine, Sterling Sheppard, Kenny Stills, James Washington, Tyreek Hill, Demarco Murrary.

The only other significant skills player that is good at the NFL level from the Big 12; Tyler Lockett.  Some ok players; Kendall Wright, Marquis Goodwin, Tavon Austin.

The rest is filled with busts; Cory Coleman, Josh Doctson, Kevin White, Justin Blackmon, Brandon Pettigrew, Jace Amaro, Jermaine Gresham, Dorial Green-Beckham, Bryan Broyles, 

That said, I'd still take Denzel Mims in a heartbeat. 

On 4/1/2020 at 9:42 PM, JetsLife said:

Not now. And especially not for WRs IMO. Just seems drafting a WR round 1 is sinking way too much value in one basket. 

DeAndre Hopkins. 

Julio Jones. 

Mike Evans. 

Odell Beckham Jr

Plenty of value there

19 hours ago, CurtMart said:

What are our main needs right now? 

OL, WR, CB and Edge? Between those 4 spots, you pick the best value player. And target others in round 2 and then 3. But first pick shouldn’t be a reach. 

If Okudah fall to #11 and you have Wills and Jeudy also available....  yeah, it's not so simple.