Dallas to offer “high pick” for Jamal Adams

2 hours ago, mudcat22 said:

I can see us trading Adams if the return is over the top, but why do Jet fans want to get rid of a guy we finally got right drafting?

Because we don't know how to handle having a good players.  We'd rather throw an all pro away and over pay for someone else's draft pick. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Because we don't know how to handle having a good players.  We'd rather throw an all pro away and over pay for someone else's draft pick. 

Yeah that sucked when we got John Abraham for Keyshawn Johnson

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That’s horrible. Take the #17 this year and a third next year and be done with it. Draft the big tackle and one of the receivers in the first and watch Darnold prosper. You can go sign Tony Jefferson or Reshad Jones for $4 mil per to replace him and get the same production

Telling me Jets walk away with primo LT and WR and some other picks, plus a FA safety at a fraction of Adams' #s, grounds for a parade, if that is allowed. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Adams is a good safety but point is, he's a safety. 

• Upvote 3

If I thought it mattered I'd post multiple links showing the importance of a Safety in todays NFL, or mention Belichick once said you can't win without a good one, or quote the Gil Brandt tweet saying he's worth 2 # 1's but why bother..  Dopey Jet fan will keep repeating the mindless mantra about safeties not being important.  derpity derp derp doop floobidy boo.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Pac said:

If I thought it mattered I'd post multiple links showing the importance of a Safety in todays NFL, or mention Belichick once said you can't win without a good one, or quote the Gil Brandt tweet saying he's worth 2 # 1's but why bother..  Dopey Jet fan will keep repeating the mindless mantra about safeties not being important.  derpity derp derp doop floobidy boo.

He could be very important to a team. But not this one.

Doesn’t really matter who you have at safety if your quarterback has nobody to throw to and your two offensive tackles are a complete roll of the dice. 

If we get a great offer from the Cowboys that allows us to invest where it’s truly important, than I’m fine with giving away a great player. 

Gil Brandt mentioned a “contender” for a reason. Jamal Adams going to the Bengals isn’t going to impact their playoff chances much. That’s the reason why some of us who like Jamal understand that his value is high right now and we’ve got other, more important positions to fill - so if the right deal comes along, you take it. 

• Upvote 3

Here's how I see it playing out; Jets offer Jamal $16m per year making him the highest paid safety. Jamal turns it down and claims he needs to be paid $20m per year because he is more than just a safety. Douglas is forced to trade him to Dallas where he accepts $16m per year because there is no state income tax.

Jamal will play the victim card saying he never wanted to leave yet he will have perfectly orchestrated his way out of NY.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

What’s not debatable is your inability to read as the original poster said he was one of the best players in the league. You’re commenting he’s an elite player. Big difference between elite player and of the best players in the NFL.

If he was one of the best players in the NFL- why aren’t 31 teams lined up offering two first round picks? I would think one of the best players in the league would warrant more than that no?

Is he on the block?  If he was you don't think teams would be lining up?  Even if they got 2 firsts, that's worth it?  How did 2 firsts for keyshawn work out?  How are the 2 firsts working out for the raiders for Mack?  The dolphins have a bunch of firsts but they have up a franchise LT and an all pro S to get them.  Worth it?  Some fans just like the draft better than games.  

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

New GM, new hope.

If JD decides to pay Jamal Adams what he thinks he’s worth, he’s not the right guy to run the franchise. The smart play is to trade him at peak value.

It takes two to trade and I don't think any team is offering anywhere close to what many on this board thinks Adams is worth.

The smart play is not to give him the contract extension he wants - 18 to 20 million per year. If JD decides that other teams are not offering fair trade compensation then he should make Adams play out his contract. The Jets control him for the next three years - 4th year for 3.5 million, 5th year option and then franchise tag. After that he can walk and hope for a comp pick in return.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Pac said:

Belichick cuts or trades his strong safety every year. He straight up cut Lawyer Milloy once. 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

True, my bad, forgot 

But remember, EDGE is much higher on the priority list

You’ll recall that the Jets were switching to a 3-4 and Abraham was up for a contract extension and was just tagged. He was also a dog.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Belichick cuts or trades his strong safety every year. He straight up cut Lawyer Milloy once. 

And told Welker to screw off after how many huge seasons he had for him

Well run organizations make tough decisions 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

New GM, new hope.

If JD decides to pay Jamal Adams what he thinks he’s worth, he’s not the right guy to run the franchise. The smart play is to trade him at peak value.

2 years ago the Celtics offered Jaylon Brown plus two first round picks for Kristaps Porzingis.  Phil Jackson wanted to do the trade and got vetoed by Jim Dolan

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

New GM, new hope.

According to Jamal, what is his worth? Has he publicly brought anything up or are you working off mere assumptions? 

Even if the jets traded Jamal for a 1st and 3rd, say, to Dallas, not sure that truly helps the jets.  If the goal is to get either an elite wr or OT prospect for him, 17 is outside this range. You’re not getting one of the top 4 tackles or top 3 wrs there, and I’d think this is a must for trading him, if this were done.  I wouldn’t trade him for Justin Jefferson or josh jones.  I think most here would reconsider if the jets could swap Adams for, say, Andrew Thomas, and then the jets could use their own pick on a wr.

20 minutes ago, Ghost said:

According to Jamal, what is his worth? Has he publicly brought anything up or are you working off mere assumptions? 

Are you asking what the guy who self-assigned himself the nickname "President", threw a hissy fit where he compared himself to Tom Brady and Aaron Donald, self-promotes more relentlessly than any player in the league, and texted Ryan Clark that he'd like to be in Dallas what Jamal thinks he's worth?

Sure, its just a guess, but I'd say he wants to be paid like one of the best defensive players in the game.  That puts him at asking for ~ $20M per year, and "settling" for $18M+.  His own teammate CJ Mosley makes $17.5M per.  It would be laughable to expect him to be willing to sign for a dime less than Mosley got.  

If you think his ego would allow him to settle for a hometown discount or merely "top Safety money", you're not in touch with reality.  My assumption is based on a large pile of evidence.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Even if the jets traded Jamal for a 1st and 3rd, say, to Dallas, not sure that truly helps the jets.  If the goal is to get either an elite wr or OT prospect for him, 17 is outside this range. 

Sure, but adding that pick plus a 3rd/4th would give us flexibility.  Now we'd be able to trade up from 11 to a few spots higher and get the OT we like, while still getting an excellent WR prospect at 17.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure, but adding that pick plus a 3rd/4th would give us flexibility.  Now we'd be able to trade up from 11 to a few spots higher and get the OT we like, while still getting an excellent WR prospect at 17.

As far as wrs go in this draft, i would only trade Adams for one of the top 3.  Maybe I’m in the minority.  I wouldn’t get the 17th pick for him thinking that the only way i can turn Adams into the prospect I want is to trade up from 17.  Not that this really matters.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I would be happy with the 17th pick and getting their 3rd.  I think the 3rd round is gonna be filled with WR so if we do attack the OT early we have a ton of 2nd/3rd picks for weapons for Sam