Dallas to offer “high pick” for Jamal Adams

1 minute ago, MindOverMatter said:

1st and 3rd would definitely do it. At this point i'd take a 1st and 4th. So over hearing about Adams.

Yes it’s tiring BUT I’m personally not in a rush to ship him off unless we are getting back a return that makes sense.  Honestly I want more than a 1st and a 3rd but it’s probably the closest thing to a fair deal 

12 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

So did a lot of other GMs.

Using your hindsight, and given how Mahomes and Watson have performed, How many teams do you think wish they could have gazed into your crystal ball, go back in time, and either draft, or trade up for one of them?

Since we were a QB-needy team and people on JN were screaming for Watson, no hindsight is needed there.  Macc is a buffoon.  

Paying Jamal Adams top defensive player money would in essence just be doubling down on that mistake in terms of resource allocation.

No, we can't replace Adams with a QB at this point.  But we can certainly replace him with the much-needed flexibility to address OT, WR, CB and EDGE in the 1st-4th rounds.  Because in hindsight, I also would have passed on Adams at 6 for the following non-QBs:

• EDGE TJ Watt
  • OT Ryan Ramczyk
  • CB Tre'Davious White
  • RB Christian McCaffrey (who operates more like a WR)
  • OT Garrett Boles
  • Upvote 1

Just now, MindOverMatter said:

I say congratulations on the new deal and maintain my stance on overpaying a SS that doesn't create turnovers. Jamal a good player, just not the kind i wanna build my team around. If this was the 2010 roster, than by all means pay Jamal. But this current roster is so empty, that it would be criminal to pay a safety that much. 

Trade him to Dallas and everyone is happy. Besides a few Jet fans that can't understand resource management.

Again, I see the argument for trading him, but personally I'd want more than a 1 and a 3.

What I'm amused by though is all the people here wanting to trade the only good 1st round pick we've made in quite a while in the hopes that it will help elevate another 1st round pick above the 25th best ranking of his position.

...and oh yeah, the willingness to give the latter $300 million while gagging at giving the former $60 mil.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Since we were a QB-needy team and people on JN were screaming for Watson, no hindsight is needed there.  Macc is a buffoon.  

Paying Jamal Adams top defensive player money would in essence just be doubling down on that mistake in terms of resource allocation.

No, we can't replace Adams with a QB at this point.  But we can certainly replace him with the much-needed flexibility to address OT, WR, CB and EDGE in the 1st-4th rounds.  Because in hindsight, I also would have passed on Adams at 6 for the following non-QBs:

• EDGE TJ Watt
  • OT Ryan Ramczyk
  • CB Tre'Davious White
  • RB Christian McCaffrey (who operates more like a WR)

Go back and look at the '17 draft thread. You were in the vast minority if that's what you said back then. 

Most of the people here have 20/20 hindsight vision.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@JiF and @dbatesman were among the 2 who were yelling for Deshaun Watson.  He was the top-rated QB, he checked every box you look for, and we needed a QB.  Pretty simple solution.

I personally wanted Watson or his WR Mike Williams.  I said that many times before the draft. 

I don't give a lick if we were in the "minority".  It was the right call in foresight and proves that a committee of JN draftniks would have done better than Mike Maccagnan.  In hindsight the choice was Mahomes, but nobody really knew the monster he'd become.  

Thank you for finally recognizing my brilliance. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

@JiF and @dbatesman were among the 2 who were yelling for Deshaun Watson.  He was the top-rated QB, he checked every box you look for, and we needed a QB.  Pretty simple solution.

I personally wanted Watson or his WR Mike Williams.  I said that many times before the draft. 

I don't give a lick if we were in the "minority".  It was the right call in foresight and proves that a committee of JN draftniks would have done better than Mike Maccagnan.  In hindsight the choice was Mahomes, but nobody really knew the monster he'd become.  

Instead he takes the SS, a luxury pick.  Unreal.  And it remains unreal to this day, no matter how many accolades Adams has received.  The Texans, not exactly known to be a powerhouse organization, have gone 25-23 with two division titles and a playoff win since drafting Watson.  We've gone 15-31.

LOL

In one master stroke, you've now pivoted back to your old standby, Mikey Macc.

BTW props to the 2 people out of a couple of hundred who got it right with the QBs back then.

Meanwhile, I know you have no clue what I'm talking about here, but UPS just delivered my new Scotty Cameron. I'm heading over to the practice green!!! Good talk, 80. As always, I enjoyed it. :cheers: 

Drafting Adams especially egregious with the number of pro bowl FA safeties that were available that off season.

But speaking of compounding mistakes, argument could be that moving him now is the move that compounds the mistake of taking him in the first place. That argument goes equally both ways and thus cancels itself out.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

#1. Keep Adams. We have a great QB. Keep your All Pro defender, and as many and the other good players on the team as we can. We have a top 10 QB, and are now a threat to win a championship. Go for it. 

#2. Keep Adams. He's young and a very good player. Since we have a average QB, we need to keep and get as many "very good" players on the team around him as possible in order to be a playoff contender. 

#3. Trade Adams, AND Darnold, along with whoever else you can, because with a bottom 10 QB, you're going anywhere, and you need to tear things down and start over.

When you say keep, do you mean, pay him 15M/year?  Or, keep on current contract?

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

How many hole in ones have you gotten playing at home with yourself during quarantine?

I have severe ADD so being locked inside makes it impossible to focus on anything, much less keeping it together long enough to pleasure myself.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I have severe ADD so being locked inside makes it impossible to focus on anything, much less keeping it together long enough to pleasure myself.

You must be a master edger if you get distracted that easily 

Just now, jgb said:

How many hole in ones have you gotten playing at home with yourself during quarantine?

LOL. I'm a scratch player when it comes to that....

The golf courses are still open down here, btw.

I live on one, and even though people aren't allowed to come here from other states, (the hotels are closed, no rentals of homes allowed, all visitors had to leave Myrtle Beach 11 days ago) the locals are still playing. You have to ride alone in a cart or walk, don't rake bunkers or touch flags. The holes are raised so you don't touch the cup.

I stopped playing in leagues and tournaments a few weeks back, but I have played a few times with 3 guys who live here. None of us have played with anyone else though.

I'm usually up on Long Island this time of year, so I'm very fortunate to have a second home here, where it's not really that bad yet. I worry about my family and friends up in NY, though. It's just a matter of time until guys like me, @southparkcpa @Jetsfan80 and others who live down south will be dealing with what you are. We're about a month behind it seems.

• Upvote 2

Just now, TeddEY said:

When you say keep, do you mean, pay him 15M/year?  Or, keep on current contract?

In the "keep him" scenarios, I'd wait until his rookie deal is up. 

That's just me though, I feel that with a sport as violent as football is, why risk giving big signing bonuses until you absolutely have to? The player could have a career ending injury right after he gets his signing bonus.

I'm usually pro labor on most issues, but if I were a GM, I'd have players honor their contracts, even if it ended up costing me more to resign the player when their deal is up.

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Again, I see the argument for trading him, but personally I'd want more than a 1 and a 3.

What I'm amused by though is all the people here wanting to trade the only good 1st round pick we've made in quite a while in the hopes that it will help elevate another 1st round pick above the 25th best ranking of his position.

...and oh yeah, the willingness to give the latter $300 million while gagging at giving the former $60 mil.

Although I rarely agree with your opinions, and even though I would be happy to trade Adams, I do agree that we should get more than a 1 and a 3. Personally, I would want at least a 1 and a 2 (and a 2 or 3 next year would make this a no-brainer...).

I haven't seen anyone say we should pay Darnold $300m. I was ecstatic when we drafted him, but I readily admit he hasn't proven he is a franchise quarterback yet. But the simple fact is, safeties don't win super bowls; quarterbacks do. If Darnold turns into the quarterback that most of us expect him to, then I would gladly give him $300m before I would give Adams $60m.

If we can get a top tackle AND a top receiver for a safety, go for it!

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

In the "keep him" scenarios, I'd wait until his rookie deal is up. 

That's just me though, I feel that with a sport as violent as football is, why risk giving big signing bonuses until you absolutely have to? The player could have a career ending injury right after he gets his signing bonus.

I'm usually pro labor on most issues, but if I were a GM, I'd have players honor their contracts, even if it ended up costing me more to resign the player when their deal is up.

I can't imagine the damage Adams will try to inflict if the Jets force him to play out his rookie deal.  

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

LOL. I'm a scratch player when it comes to that....

The golf courses are still open down here, btw.

I live on one, and even though people aren't allowed to come here from other states, (the hotels are closed, no rentals of homes allowed, all visitors had to leave Myrtle Beach 11 days ago) the locals are still playing. You have to ride alone in a cart or walk, don't rake bunkers or touch flags. The holes are raised so you don't touch the cup.

I stopped playing in leagues and tournaments a few weeks back, but I have played a few times with 3 guys who live here. None of us have played with anyone else though.

I'm usually up on Long Island this time of year, so I'm very fortunate to have a second home here, where it's not really that bad yet. I worry about my family and friends up in NY, though. It's just a matter of time until guys like me, @southparkcpa @Jetsfan80 and others who live down south will be dealing with what you are. We're about a month behind it seems.

Im still playing at my club...   walking the course.  No water available, clubhouse is closed etc.  Im playing tomorrow, Sat and Sunday.   It the only thing I got. Tee times are FULL.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, viffer said:

But the simple fact is, safeties don't win super bowls; quarterbacks do. If Darnold turns into the quarterback that most of us expect him to, then I would gladly give him $300m before I would give Adams $60m.

If we can get a top tackle AND a top receiver for a safety, go for it!

Boy you really went on a limb there. “a top tackle AND a top receiver for a safety”  ?

btw Darnold’s agent doesn’t have to wait for Darnold to prove himself, does he? He can start applying pressure for a new deal whenever he wants. The more the Jets resist, the more bad blood there is...

Add in the fact that if Darnold turns into the QB guys like you think he will, $300 million is a very conservative number. Think minimum 35-40 million per, and that’s without a signing bonus.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Tell this to the dozens of people in this thread acting like we're the unreasonable ones for trying to "get ahead of" the eventual holdout by trading him at peak value.  

If people refuse to read the situation for what it is and fail to see what's about to happen, that's on them.  They're just shooting the messenger at this point.  

Because its not totally unreasonable to dump him before you even know if your crystal ball is right or wrong.

Especially since other than a holdout, he hasn't got a leg to stand on for 3 seasons.  Along without a clue to the thinking of JD, the Jets, Adams or what has been discussed.

Next up, trade Darnold, he'll be in the same place next offseason

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I can't imagine the damage Adams will try to inflict if the Jets force him to play out his rookie deal.  

Really?

You've been predicting it for over a year now

You just know.  What was it, he doesnt want to be paid well, he doesnt want to be the highest paid S, he wants to be paid like the best defensive players in the game are.  You even hinted that hes said it.  

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I’m pretty sure you’re going to be imagining quite a bit about it... and you’ll tell us all about it!  

Quite often, in fact. ?

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Really?

You just know.  What was it, he doesnt want to be paid well, he doesnt want to be the highest paid S, he wants to be paid like the best defensive players in the game are.  

Thank goodness, the Cavalry finally got here!!!!

You take it from here buddy, I love talking with 80. I just enjoy it more when you do it, lol.

( I tried to soften him up a bit for you though.)   ?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Really?

You just know.  What was it, he doesnt want to be paid well, he doesnt want to be the highest paid S, he wants to be paid like the best defensive players in the game are.  You even hinted that hes said it.  

He’ll probably sign a team friendly deal because he’s a team friendly guy! 

Jamal Adams, hisself:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/29/jamal-adams-ready-to-be-paid-what-hes-worth/amp/

“I’m not trying to be paid just to be the highest-paid whatever,” Adams said. “I’m trying to get paid for my status and what I’ve done. That’s what I’m about.”

https://www.si.com/.amp-jets/nfl/jets/news/ny-jets-jamal-adams-wants-to-be-nfl-top-paid-safety

A61FF95C-0DEF-478E-A439-ADA0DC4F90F8.png

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Boy you really went on a limb there. “a top tackle AND a top receiver for a safety”  ?

btw Darnold’s agent doesn’t have to wait for Darnold to prove himself, does he? He can start applying pressure for a new deal whenever he wants. The more the Jets resist, the more bad blood there is...

Add in the fact that if Darnold turns into the QB guys like you think he will, $300 million is a very conservative number. Think minimum 35-40 million per, and that’s without a signing bonus.

If we get a 1 and a 2 for Adams, we could draft a top tackle and a top receiver in the first round. I didn't say trade him for a top tackle and a top receiver. With 2 firsts, 2 seconds, and 2 thirds, we could definitely shore up both the OL and the receiving corp, and still add a couple of key players (like corners, who are also much more important than safeties).

Darnold's agent can do whatever he wants; I don't think JD is going to do anything contract-wise with Sam until he proves himself. We've got him under contract for 3 more years, and he doesn't seem like the type to sit out before his contract is up.

Darnold will get paid the going rate for a franchise quarterback IF he turns into one. So what? You act like every other team in the league doesn't have the same situation. But there is a reason for that. The quarterback is, by far, the most important player on the team. Show me one safety who was ever the super bowl MVP.

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

“I’m not trying to be paid just to be the highest-paid whatever,” Adams said. “I’m trying to get paid for my status and what I’ve done. That’s what I’m about.”

To sane people that's all you would ask for or expect a player to ask for

For those who hate on everything Jamal Adams, hes going to cause damage to not only the Jets but the entire NFL pay scale.  He's "spoiled rotten".  

If he keeps playing the way he is now, he should and will be paid as the top safety in the NFL.  Shocking to some, but the top players at their positions actually get paid that way.  Shocking.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, viffer said:

If we get a 1 and a 2 for Adams, we could draft a top tackle and a top receiver in the first round.

Of course we could.  They're just falling out of trees to be taken by anyone who wants one.  Not a chance that they could go before we pick, because we have an extra 1st.  Lets give up the sure thing, we know what we have player for a wing and a prayer because, well because the draft is cool fun.  And of course internet draft gurus always pick the top guys with one of the 100+ names they'll drop in the coming weeks.  its easy that way

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Who was the last 1st round pick not a QB who got extended after only three years?

If you like such a player you extend him and avoid the fifth year option.   You don’t extend these guys before year 4. 

• Upvote 2