Jump to content

Fales Can’t Be Darnold’s Backup, Can He?


Recommended Posts

David Fales

Earlier this week the Jets agreed to a contract with QB David Fales. Please let Joe Douglas head down a better road than GM’s of the past. There are several experienced backups out there, one of them should be Darnold’s backup. If this move is being made for another camp body, that is great. Hopefully it is nothing more than that, not when Joe Flacco is available.

Brian Costello brings up a good point in the NY Post about how important it is to be familiar with a system this year.

Fales’ knowledge of coach Adam Gase’s offense had to be an attractive quality. Fales played for Gase last year and in 2017-18 with the Dolphins. It seems likely the NFL is going to cancel all of its spring program, including OTAs, due to the coronavirus pandemic. That will leave coaches with less teaching time, so familiarity with the system will help Fales.

Still, the Jets may look to add someone with more of a track record to play behind Darnold. Their franchise quarterback has missed six games in his first two seasons, and the Jets are 0-6 in those games. They have suffered from not having a suitable replacement.

We all know what happened last year when Sam Darnold got mono. Joe Douglas needs to find a backup QB that can step in and win if needed, David Fales isn’t that guy.

David Fales

The post Fales Can’t Be Darnold’s Backup, Can He? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
DmOM9V0d7Lk

Click here to read the full story...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Loved Mike White coming out of college.  Hope he steps up and takes the QB2 job.  

Overview
White saw major downturns in every important passing category this year, but evaluators will have to balance his inconsistent play against the porous protection he got. White has good size and a live arm which is enough to get him drafted, but if he doesn't do a better job of recognizing blitzes and making decisions faster, his arm talent won't matter. White has QB3 potential with a shot to move up the ladder as a backup.
Strengths
  • Arm talent is the first thing you notice
  • Former high school pitcher with 90 MPH fastball who can crank up that heat when he needs to
  • Has good drive accuracy
  • Able to push the ball into tight windows
  • Has velocity and accuracy to attack the middle of the field
  • Can alternate between heat and touch
  • Throws catchable deep ball and has ability to drop it over a cornerback's head down the sideline
  • Can be dangerous from the pocket when he's protected
  • Completed 57 percent of his deep throws when protection was better in 2016
  • Resets feet before throwing when he leaves the pocket
  • Asked to make full-field reads at times
Weaknesses
  • Heavy feet take time to set up in the pocket
  • Struggled to deal with poor protection
  • Lacks feel for pressure off the edges and drops his eyes when he sees pocket push
  • Pocket mobility is poor
  • Was responsible for his share of the 46 sacks
  • Sluggish processor when initial reads are covered
  • Stayed on covered targets rather than finding better options
  • Relies too heavily on arm over anticipation
  • Looks lethargic when trying to roll and throw
  • Fumbled 12 times this year and 17 times over two seasons
Sources Tell Us

"I'm having a hard time with him because his protection was just so bad. Some of those sacks were his but sometimes he didn't even have a chance. I'm going to keep him alive because he's a talented passer and he's got size." -- AFC team regional scout
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

this dude is not an NFL QB and proved that last year - I get the signing for his knowledge of the offense but there has to be better options before the start of the season

Fales didn't play for us last year. Luke Falk did (and failed lol)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We don't know if Fales can play yet. He didn't throw a pass for us in 2019.

His career has taken the Chase Daniel route. He's a smart guy that coaches like enough to keep bringing him back, even though he doesn't get to play.

Daniel has made a good career out of it. Maybe Fales can too. Fales actually threw more passes than Daniel through the first 4 years of their respective careers.

We might yet bring back Siemian or sign another vet, but the coaches clearly like Fales even though none of us have seen anything from him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Backup QB is probably the very least of my concerns regarding this team. Darnold needs to play 16 games and play them well. Put an offense around him and see what he can do. That’s where my money and draft picks would be spent, not on his caddy. If the offense is halfway decent, maybe the backup won’t completely fall on his face if he’s pressed into service. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

We don't know if Fales can play yet. He didn't throw a pass for us in 2019.

His career has taken the Chase Daniel route. He's a smart guy that coaches like enough to keep bringing him back, even though he doesn't get to play.

Daniel has made a good career out of it. Maybe Fales can too. Fales actually threw more passes than Daniel through the first 4 years of their respective careers.

We might yet bring back Siemian or sign another vet, but the coaches clearly like Fales even though none of us have seen anything from him.

I read this three times. Was basically yelling at my monitor, like when you see something on TV and you know it isn't true.

Then I finally realize this didn't say Fales threw more passes than Darnold.

:)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, slats said:

Backup QB is probably the very least of my concerns regarding this team. Darnold needs to play 16 games and play them well. Put an offense around him and see what he can do. That’s where my money and draft picks would be spent, not on his caddy. If the offense is halfway decent, maybe the backup won’t completely fall on his face if he’s pressed into service. 

1999 called. It said, 'sup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

1999 called. It said, 'sup.

Jets had a championship caliber team in ‘99. If the Jets were a Super Bowl darling this year, I’d have a different opinion. Instead, they’re favorites to finish last in a weak division again. I’m much more concerned about the team around Darnold than the QB behind him. If Darnold misses significant time and/or fails to take the next step, those losses won’t matter. I’ll be glad for the higher pick. 

People wanna throw money at a used up Joe Flacco? For what? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, slats said:

Jets had a championship caliber team in ‘99. If the Jets were a Super Bowl darling this year, I’d have a different opinion. Instead, they’re favorites to finish last in a weak division again. I’m much more concerned about the team around Darnold than the QB behind him. If Darnold misses significant time and/or fails to take a he next step, those losses won’t matter. I’ll be glad for the higher pick. 

People wanna throw money at a used up Joe Flacco? For what? 

The Jets have a championship team now. Don't laugh.

The world is closed. There is no offseason program for anybody. Tom BRady is gone and the Patriots have no QB. Darnold got mono last year so he can't catch Corona (kidding).  But with everything that is going on in the world, all of these things that would "never happen", I have to say the Jets winning it all could happen.

So get a damn backup QB in here already lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The Jets have a championship team now. Don't laugh.

The world is closed. There is no offseason program for anybody. Tom BRady is gone and the Patriots have no QB. Darnold got mono last year so he can't catch Corona (kidding).  But with everything that is going on in the world, all of these things that would "never happen", I have to say the Jets winning it all could happen.

So get a damn backup QB in here already lol.

Yeah, I know you told me not to but....

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

1999 called. It said, 'sup.

Seriously though the 2020 Jets are nothing like the 1999 Jets.  The 1999 Jets had just been to the AFC Title game the year before.  The 2020 Jets are going to finish 3rd in the AFC East...maybe 2nd...even with Darnold playing at his best and not missing a game.  

Backup QB is only a concern if you're a SB contender OR you're very shaky about who your QB1 is.  

If Sam goes down for more than, say, 4 weeks, time to tank the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He only has 1 game with over 5 passing attempts under his belt. During that 1 game he did very good.

12/31/2017: With Miami Dolphins vs. Buffalo he went 29/42 (69.0%), 265 passing yards, 1 passing TD/1 rushing TD/1 INT with a QB Rating of 83.9 (only 1 sack taken).

Not bad for his only game of at least 5 passes...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Fales didn't play for us last year. Luke Falk did (and failed lol)

and mccown played the year before adding another 3 losses to his resume.  pat ryan was a pretty good back up but he won on guts not physical ability.  the best back ups they've had in the past twenty or so years have been vinny, ray lucas, chaddy, and quincy carter.  all of those guys came into a team that was fundamentally sound in other aspects.  so simply saying fales can't get the job done doesn't necessarily give the rest of the team much credibility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

and mccown played the year before adding another 3 losses to his resume.  pat ryan was a pretty good back up but he won on guts not physical ability.  the best back ups they've had in the past twenty or so years have been vinny, ray lucas, chaddy, and quincy carter.  all of those guys came into a team that was fundamentally sound in other aspects.  so simply saying fales can't get the job done doesn't necessarily give the rest of the team much credibility.

I didn't say anything about Fales.

Another poster said Fales wasn't good for us. I was pointing out he didn't play for us last year (Luke Falk did). Fales replaced Falk (who was released) and stayed on the bench all year.

I get why we signed Fales given the potential loss of OTA and practice time.Want someone familiar with the system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Seriously though the 2020 Jets are nothing like the 1999 Jets.  The 1999 Jets had just been to the AFC Title game the year before.  The 2020 Jets are going to finish 3rd in the AFC East...maybe 2nd...even with Darnold playing at his best and not missing a game.  

Backup QB is only a concern if you're a SB contender OR you're very shaky about who your QB1 is.  

If Sam goes down for more than, say, 4 weeks, time to tank the season.

The 2020 Jets are actually a better team than the 1999 Jets. 1998 was smoke and mirrors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...