Home project advice

4 weeks into quarantine in my NYC apartment, I'm finally going insane, and starting to tinker with stuff.

My floor has this sh*tty polyurethane coating on the top of it, which over the years has started to flake up and peel.  So I've decided to get rid of it.  So far I am using only a scraper, and clear shipping tape.  But obviously this is like cutting the grass with scissors.

Anyone know any tricks that will make this job go faster?  Would a denatured alcohol + lacquer thinner solution help?

I know a lot about this stuff. Rent or own? Rent, live with it. Own, rent a wood floor stripper and do it right. Sand off the topcoat, get a rag and go down on your hands and knees and dip the rag in wood stain of your choice and stain it. Finally apply polyurethane gloss coat with a brush. It will look real nice. Even an amatuer job will look way better and give you a rustic charm

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sanding poly makes some nasty dust.  I assume the proper masks are difficult to come by these days.

Yeah, that's why I'm not gonna mess around with it.  Even though I'm not 100% sure it's poly, and not shellac, and I bet my dolt landlord doesn't know either.  Anyway, I'm trying to peel it up in large strips (to answer Tom's inquiry into my madness, it comes down in large, continuous strips when you place tape over it and pull the tape up).

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You’re taking the old poly off with tape? Are you sure it’s not a Pergo-type laminate?

I think I can rule out Pergo.  It's been flaking and coming off on the bottom of our feet (it's a gross yellow color now) for YEARS now, and it's starting to happen more and more.  I'll try to send a pic.

• Upvote 1

It’s weird because oil-based polys will flake up or wear down, but if they’re peeling, it’s because it didn’t adhere correctly when it was put down, or they used oil-base on a non-porous surface (like most Pergos, which aren’t meant to be refinished). It’s possible they used a latex poly to hold down the fumes. Latex will peel because it doesn’t penetrate nearly as much as oil-base coatings.

• Upvote 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

It’s weird because oil-based polys will flake up or wear down, but if they’re peeling, it’s because it didn’t adhere correctly when it was put down, or they used oil-base on a non-porous surface (like most Pergos, which aren’t meant to be refinished. It’s possible they used a latex poly to hold down the fumes. Latex will peel because it doesn’t penetrate nearly as much as oil-base coatings.

If you look at the pic I posted, the shiny part is where the sh*tty poly is still down, the matte is where it's already peeled off.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

It’s weird because oil-based polys will flake up or wear down, but if they’re peeling, it’s because it didn’t adhere correctly when it was put down, or they used oil-base on a non-porous surface (like most Pergos, which aren’t meant to be refinished. It’s possible they used a latex poly to hold down the fumes. Latex will peel because it doesn’t penetrate nearly as much as oil-base coatings.

Informative - thank you

4 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Like regular, hardwood floor with its original stain.  I'll try to upload another that shows the contrast.

Go get a DeWalt orbital palm sander with a bunch of 100 grit disks and sand the poly off. The sander will have a bag attachment that will catch a significant bit of the dust, but you’ll want the windows open anyway. 100 grit isn’t so aggressive that you’ll deform the floorboards or get into the stain, but it’s aggressive enough to get the top coat off quickly. If you’re afraid of tearing it up, go with 120 grit. Regardless, test it out first under the fridge or somewhere you can cover up if it doesn’t go your way. Then vacuum a few times. Then go back to that test area under the fridge and wipe it down with some mineral spirits (a relatively mild paint thinner) on a rag, which will get any remaining dust and open up the pores in the wood to take the new poly. You don’t use water for this because the water takes forever to dry and it ends up occupying the pores in the wood that you want to keep open. You’re checking (on the test area) to see how the mineral spirits interacts with the existing stain, if at all. It should be fine. When all is good, brush on the new poly with a high-quality bristle brush or a foam pad. Good poly is self-leveling, so don’t panic too much, but also don’t let it pool. Also don’t rush to put on the second coat (if needed). People do that all the time and what they end up with is one big, messy coat that looks like bartop poly. Patience is key. Good luck

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

unnamed.thumb.jpg.e75bb335c7a9ba084ee72f2b72eb3fab.jpg

Looks like it was latex poly that they just mopped on. Odd, but that happens in apartments complexes. Those contractors don’t give a sh*t about prep, and latex dries in half the time. Poke the wood with a nail or screw to make sure it’s really wood. It’s odd that it didn’t adhere better, unless they just tried throwing new poly over the old without sanding first

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Looks like it was latex poly that they just mopped on. Odd, but that happens in apartments complexes. Those contractors don’t give a sh*t about prep, and latex dries in half the time. Poke the wood with a nail or screw to make sure it’s really wood. It’s odd that it didn’t adhere better, unless they just tried throwing new poly over the old without sanding first

Yeah, I've been doing some reading and I think you're on the money.

To reply to @joewilly12, that's what I would do if I were going to re-seal it, but I don't really care to.  I just want this peeling sh*t off!

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I've met Crusher.  He's not.  Maybe trending towards plump.  Like a retired power lifter.

17 minutes ago, CTM said:

Strong man I believ 

Crusher posted an image of himself many years back.  No way you would ever want to get in a scape with him.  Looked like he do some serious damage to a person if he were so inclined.  Also agree that no way he's fat as he likes to portray himself. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/3/2020 at 11:20 AM, T0mShane said:

Go get a DeWalt orbital palm sander with a bunch of 100 grit disks and sand the poly off. The sander will have a bag attachment that will catch a significant bit of the dust, but you’ll want the windows open anyway. 100 grit isn’t so aggressive that you’ll deform the floorboards or get into the stain, but it’s aggressive enough to get the top coat off quickly. If you’re afraid of tearing it up, go with 120 grit. Regardless, test it out first under the fridge or somewhere you can cover up if it doesn’t go your way. Then vacuum a few times. Then go back to that test area under the fridge and wipe it down with some mineral spirits (a relatively mild paint thinner) on a rag, which will get any remaining dust and open up the pores in the wood to take the new poly. You don’t use water for this because the water takes forever to dry and it ends up occupying the pores in the wood that you want to keep open. You’re checking (on the test area) to see how the mineral spirits interacts with the existing stain, if at all. It should be fine. When all is good, brush on the new poly with a high-quality bristle brush or a foam pad. Good poly is self-leveling, so don’t panic too much, but also don’t let it pool. Also don’t rush to put on the second coat (if needed). People do that all the time and what they end up with is one big, messy coat that looks like bartop poly. Patience is key. Good luck

Wait. Broadway AND this. Color me impressed.

You must be very impressive on the Facebook challenge of 10 jobs, name the one that I didn't do.

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2020 at 11:24 AM, T0mShane said:

Do you think 2 Minute Remover is worth a try?