Why Do You Hate Mekhi Becton?

Why Do you Hate Mekhi Becton?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following most closely matches your view of Louisville OT Mekhi Becton:

• I don't hate him, in fact, I think he's AWESOME. He my #1 Offensive Tackle
    • I think he will be a good NFL player and I would be happy if we took him at #11
    • He's okay and an acceptable pick at #11
    • I hope we don't take him, I would rather have any other OT or a WR instead of him
    • I HATE him as a prospect, hope we don't draft him, he's got "BUST" written all over him

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Becton seems to be the least highly coveted Offensive Tackle in this year's draft, at least by many here on JetNation.

Why do you hate Mekhi Becton?

I kind of prefer him and Wirfs to the other two but would take any of them.  But what do I know, just going by what Ive read and I like the idea of a behemoth on the line.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Picking a player on the offensive side of the ball in the first round is like betting with house money.  I will be happy if it helps our putrid offense.

In the first round of the last 20 drafts the Jets have drafted three quarterbacks (Pennington, Sanchez, Darnold), two tight ends (Becht, Keller), two offensive linemen (Ferguson, Mangold), and a wide receiver (Moss). Eight offensive players, five non quarterbacks.

In the meantime they’ve ten drafted DL/edge players (Ellis, Abraham, Thomas, Robertson, Gholston, Wilkerson, Coples, Richardson, Williams, Williams), two off ball linebackers (Vilma, Lee), three corners (Revis, Wilson, Milliner), and two safeties (Pryor, Adams).

Only Darnold, Williams, and Adams are still on the roster.

More picks on defensive linemen than offensive players. As many on DB’s as on the ten guys on offense who don’t play quarterback. As many off ball linebackers as offensive linemen. It’s bananas.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I don’t hate him, but like him the least of the big 4

Maybe because he’s coming out of Louisville and wasn’t a big time recruit

i like the blue bloods for my first round picks 

He was four star recruit and got recruited by some of the biggest schools in the country. He also started every year at Louisville and was a freshman all american.

• Upvote 2

There are some scouts that warn those that are distracted by his athletism will miss the holes in his technique and his game.  Said he is raw similar to the NYG’s recent top ten pick Erick Flowers.  Becton may end up being the best OL of this group but how long do you have to wait for it.  Sam Darnold doesn’t have three years to wait.  We don’t have the roster to compensate for a top 11 pick not to step in immediately and contribute.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Bitonti soured me on Becton because of the size thing (I'm easily influenced).

I've done a 180 on Becton after watching him run a 5.1 

to be honest I thought he'd run like a 5.5 

This sounds trite but he's not Orlando Brown or Marcus MacNeill 

he's closer to Shaquille O'neal with that size/speed - just one of God's wonders 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

he's closer to Shaquille O'neal with that size/speed - just one of God's wonders 

I'm glad you've finally seen the light. ?

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Got it. I'm back aboard the Becton trade.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

His football tape is just meh though, right?  He could turn out great though, but did he dominate at Louisville? 

At 11 you like to take players who were great at football when they had the chance to play it. 

Its the Mike Mamula problem.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I don't hate him, but in 3 years he's going to be 435 lbs and walking up a flight of stairs will leave him winded. 

Cmon man. This guy is anything but fat and sloppy. He's just a freakishly large human being. 

eb8443a9-a60b-4f94-9857-11413e575f24-USP

• Upvote 3

Just now, Jet_Engine1 said:

So was I at 22

He's 20 years old and 6'7" plus at 365 lbs. No one has ever questioned his work ethic and he's the most athletic looking big guy I've ever seen. He is the definition of a "freak". 

He isn't some lazy fat slob that just weighs alot.

9 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Becton seems to be the least highly coveted Offensive Tackle in this year's draft, at least by many here on JetNation.

Why do you hate Mekhi Becton?

no hate... just imo he's the least experienced of the 4 & still needs to learn the position... Of the 4 I have him @ #4. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

He's 20 years old and 6'7" plus at 365 lbs. No one has ever questioned his work ethic and he's the most athletic looking big guy I've ever seen. He is the definition of a "freak". 

He isn't some lazy fat slob that just weighs alot.

Like the guy we drafted #3 lat year??

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, jetsons said:

no hate... just imo he's the least experienced of the 4 & still needs to learn the position... Of the 4 I have him @ #4. 

Why do people keep calling him less experienced? He's been a three starter, which is his entire time at Louisville and has played both RT and LT. During his sophomore year he would play LT and RT in the same game. It's such a false narrative at this time.

44 minutes ago, RobR said:

Why do people keep calling him less experienced? He's been a three starter, which is his entire time at Louisville and has played both RT and LT. During his sophomore year he would play LT and RT in the same game. It's such a false narrative at this time.

"watch" his tape... it clearly shows his inexperience. 

13 minutes ago, jetsons said:

"watch" his tape... it clearly shows his inexperience. 

I don't think anyone here has watched more of his tape than myself. Even started a thread in the draft forum with tons of tape breakdowns. Give it a gander and let me know if you still feel the same way.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

I don't think anyone here has watched more of his tape than myself. Even started a thread in the draft forum with tons of tape breakdowns. Give it a gander and let me know if you still feel the same way.

I feel the same way.

6 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Please add this to your options, "It reminds me of...

ducasse.jpg

Wow. That's a pretty scathing review of a guy that's never played a down in the NFL. SHAME ON YOU! It's actually hard to be as BAD as Ducasse was. Whenever that lunkhead was inserted into the lineup disaster followed the Jets. I'm serious most of the time it ended with Ducasse accumulating so many penalties that it would end offensive drives, while others had long lasting adverse effects on the offense as a whole.